• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve dev posts pic of Left 4 Dead 3 folder in Destinations tutorial, then removes it

L4D 1 + 2 should have been remastered for PS4 x xbox one , PS4 mainly because PS never had left 4 dead

left 4 dead 1 and 2 were so amazing back in the 360 days, loved that game

DO IT VALVE

Based off of what they did with L4D2, L4D3 will probably get L4D1&2 campaigns at some point.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Popular theory is them masking it with L4D2, that's why a lot of them have been playing it a lot lately.

There'd be evidence of that on SteamDB, but all recent beta branch updates have been pushed through as public updates:

branches/public/buildid: 1110546 › 1162986
branches/beta/buildid: 1110546 › 1162986
branches/public/buildid: 981924 › 1110546
branches/beta/buildid: 981924 › 1110546
branches/public/buildid: 957685 › 981924
branches/beta/buildid: 957685 › 981924
branches/public/buildid: 931944 › 957685
branches/beta/buildid: 931944 › 957685

CS:GO is much the same: (Dota 2's test app is private these days): beta branch updates are almost always pushed through as public updates very shortly after. There's no sporadic fiddling over a span of several days/weeks as you see with third-party games. I wouldn't be surprised if Valve uses a separate, private Steam backend specifically for game development so as to protect itself against registry-related leaks.

It's possible that Valve's been using the app id "trick", but the game/app id mismatch breaks Steamworks functionality (which is of particular importance in a multiplayer-focused game) and hiding behind a released game seems rather pointless when the L4D3 app is private and not going to show up on profiles and such, anyway.

EVIL

They've been working on L4D3 for a while, based on this thread.

I'd be surprised if it came out this year since it was a no show at e3. Early next year?

Valve is a lot more friendly towards gamescom as an event. altho they mentioned multiple time that when they have something to show. they will not wait for some conference to announce it. the only reason we would see it there if the 2 dates match up.

This news is almost a day old btw. Pretty telling that barely anyone picked it up. Years ago something like this would have generated a lot more buzz.

Hari Seldon

Valve is a lot more friendly towards gamescom as an event. altho they mentioned multiple time that when they have something to show. they will not wait for some conference to announce it. the only reason we would see it there if the 2 dates match up.

I agree with the giantbomb crew. The next time valve has a game to launch just put it up on steam with no advance warning and watch the internet break.

Ozium

Can't wait to wake up one day and find a new Valve game appearing in my Steam library.

If they ever actually release it that is...

It's going to be called Left 4 Dead 2: Part 2, for obvious reasons

e39.jpg

ZombieLPK

I'd like to be hopeful that this means we're close to seeing an actual game out of Valve again, but considering L4D3 stuff has been circulating since the TI3 tour leak which was almost 3 years ago I'm kind of numb to it at this point.

Blam

It's been pretty much confirmed from all the stuff that's leaked that L4D3. Is going to be a source 2 port of L4D2. From all the things they've been doing.

Iorv3th

This news is almost a day old btw. Pretty telling that barely anyone picked it up. Years ago something like this would have generated a lot more buzz.

I think it's because we've been teased by a lot of things from valve and they never confirm or deliver.

Like Half Life 3.

Zia

Yeah, until I'm downloading it I'm going to assume Left 4 Dead 3 is something that'll never exist.

Aside from Dota 2 (i.e., The Majors forcing Valve to more frequently (monetarily) engage the player base) they can't even provide adequate content for their current games-as-services. The last big TF2 update was six months ago, primarily consisting of four unpolished community maps, cosmetic things to buy and balance changes. The only CS:GO patches we've seen this year are a revamped Nuke, QOL changes, packaged (and, again, often poor) community maps and shit to buy.

Russ T

Banned
I want L4D3 more than anything else from Valve.

Except maybe TF2 ported to Source 2 (as I'd hope it'd force them to rethink certain things from the ground up), but that's unlikely.

Relax, guys.

It's just a collection of letters he has written Gaben about wanting a new L4D game. He writes them every week with no response.

I don't know when or even if Left 4 Dead 3 is coming, but if it does come...

Expect weapon skin crates just like the ones in CS:GO. They're going to make a Left 4 Dead Steam Market economy, without a doubt.

Mivey

I think at this point Valve is like the perfect example of how to much creative freedom is death to productivity. They can do everything, they can do it in ways no one else is ever going to think of. But because there is absolutely no pressure, or any sort of restrictions of time and money, they fall into creative death lock: Always improving because nothing is ever good enough. Then once it stops being interesting, since every interesting idea has been explored (though never fully realized), it's simply left forgotten for the next interesting tidbit.

Valve is the corporate equivalent of a cat that is chasing a laser pointer. They just happened to be lucky (or unfortunate) enough to find the infinite money well (Steam), just before their creative Alzheimer fully hit them.

MattyG

Banned
Every Valve game is becoming like the NX and Neo to me. We know it exists (probably), and I just want them to show it so that we don't have to keep hearing speculation.

dr_rus

This will be the first Valve game I won't purchase.
Unless it's F2P in which case I just won't play it.

Fox318

valve should license the rights to half life and l4d to a developer that actually makes games.

I'm with you.

They have so much money and such a short attention span that they can't get a project out the door.

For as much shit as they talk with how Occulus was based on their prototype we all know the Vive would have never made it to market had their hand not been forced.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think at this point Valve is like the perfect example of how to much creative freedom is death to productivity. They can do everything, they can do it in ways no one else is ever going to think of. But because there is absolutely no pressure, or any sort of restrictions of time and money, they fall into creative death lock: Always improving because nothing is ever good enough. Then once it stops being interesting, since every interesting idea has been explored (though never fully realized), it's simply left forgotten for the next interesting tidbit.

Valve is the corporate equivalent of a cat that is chasing a laser pointer. They just happened to be lucky (or unfortunate) enough to find the infinite money well (Steam), just before their creative Alzheimer fully hit them.

This assumes the end result will be a bad thing. Valve made Dota 2 and CS:GO (as derivative as they are.) and have been exploring creative freedom through VR as of late. L4D3 not being released doesn't mean creative freedom is being squandered. It just means their creative freedom has different priorities than L4D3's release.

Its not like Valve has just been stagnant. They're doing a lot of exciting and interesting things.

What if Valve are taking their sweet ass time because they're waiting to release Left 4 Dead 3, Portal 3, and Half-Life 3 all at once.

The ultimate 3.

Hey now after steam OS, steam machines, steam link, vr, steam controller, bolting skins on to everything, throwing away any resumes with customer service expierence and installing more wheels on desks, I'm sure Valve has something else they are going to do than make another game.

low-G

Considering they literally showed screenshots of a Left 4 Dead 3 running on Source 2 years ago... I'm amazed we aren't playing this now.

Would much more prefer a new IP btw. Has been a while since one of those...

This assumes the end result will be a bad thing. Valve made Dota 2 and CS:GO (as derivative as they are.) and have been exploring creative freedom through VR as of late. L4D3 not being released doesn't mean creative freedom is being squandered. It just means their creative freedom has different priorities than L4D3's release.

Its not like Valve has just been stagnant. They're doing a lot of exciting and interesting things.

They are doing one exciting thing, VR, but as far as their gaming output goes (which is the most relevant to the average gamer) they're very much stagnant. Also, I'd argue them working on a zombie shooter in this day and age can be considered to be creatively bankrupt, considering the resources and talent they have.

Also I hope if this releases people won't expect the end result to be polished, because it won't be. I can't remember the last product launch by them that wasn't half-assed.

Considering they literally showed screenshots of a Left 4 Dead 3 running on Source 2 years ago... I'm amazed we aren't playing this now.

They didn't. That was L4D2.

Top Bottom