• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve dev posts pic of Left 4 Dead 3 folder in Destinations tutorial, then removes it

Hari Seldon

I think at this point Valve is like the perfect example of how to much creative freedom is death to productivity. They can do everything, they can do it in ways no one else is ever going to think of. But because there is absolutely no pressure, or any sort of restrictions of time and money, they fall into creative death lock: Always improving because nothing is ever good enough. Then once it stops being interesting, since every interesting idea has been explored (though never fully realized), it's simply left forgotten for the next interesting tidbit.

Valve is the corporate equivalent of a cat that is chasing a laser pointer. They just happened to be lucky (or unfortunate) enough to find the infinite money well (Steam), just before their creative Alzheimer fully hit them.

That is why I think we are finally going to get some games from them. Making another FPS is pretty boring at this point, but making a AAA VR game is probably very interesting to them.

Kadin

I hate to admit that I own both on Steam and never finished either. I'm guessing I should really look into that. They're installing now. I forget, can you go through it completely solo or is it really necessary to group up with randoms?

Russ T

Banned
I know Portal 2 didnt have crates but it was spectacular to see them shoehorn a shop into that game and see it fail to the point where they never touched it ever again.

I'm guessing they just kinda felt they had nothing more to add onto the co-op, otherwise they would've definitely continued.

It was definitely the weirdest part of that game. Well, besides maybe the movie trailer that was built into the menu...

I hate to admit that I own both on Steam and never finished either. I'm guessing I should really look into that. They're installing now. I forget, can you go through it completely solo or is it really necessary to group up with randoms?

You can do it solo, bit it's not a good experience that way. Though thinking about the community's rep, grouping up with randoms might not be either. :p Friends would be the preferred method.

You can play it solo.

Do not play it solo.

It is a multiplayer game that happens to have bots.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Well I'm glad a I have the Valve Friends and Family pack that gives me all past, current, and future games.
It will be F2P anyways.

Bigby

Some people prefer the first game, but I don't really see a reason to install both, L4D campaigns are included in L4D2.

And 2 has more active players than 1: 15 000 vs 800. You can play solo, but it sucks, it's still fun with random players.

L4D2 has these graphics now?

hqdefault.jpg

Serious question.

That was for an internal port of L4D2 on Source 2. Showing extra foliage and such.

Kadin

You can do it solo, bit it's not a good experience that way. Though thinking about the community's rep, grouping up with randoms might not be either. :p Friends would be the preferred method.

You can play it solo.

Do not play it solo.

It is a multiplayer game that happens to have bots.

Some people prefer the first game, but I don't really see a reason to install both, L4D campaigns are included in L4D2.

And 2 has more active players than 1: 15 000 vs 800. You can play solo, but it sucks, it's still fun with random players.
Thanks guys. Grouping up is what it'll be then.

I mean, we'd known they were working on the game for quite a while now. Only question is, what engine will it be using and where it'll be set. It's already been 6 and a half years since Left 4 Dead 2, and a L4D3 could do wonders for Valve in terms of Vive adoption, Source 2 implementation, and so on. It's been 4 years since the last full-fledged Valve game (arguably 5 if you ignore CS:GO) and, while the wait for a new Valve game hasn't quite reached HL3 levels just yet, they need to re-establish themselves as game makers instead of service providers.

I'd say the likeliest place for such a reveal is The Game Awards or Gamescom. Hopefully it shows up sooner rather than later, in a Beyonce-style surprise release.

Mivey

Its not like Valve has just been stagnant. They're doing a lot of exciting and interesting things.
That is exactly what they have been, compared to how many great games they produced, in normal time in the 90ies and early 2000s. Stagnancy doesn't mean that they cannot get anything at all done, but I am saying they should have a lot more output and much more varied output considering how many illuminaries work there. I just don't see how "let's make it online and involve the community" can be so creatively satisfying for so many years, considering how groundbreaking their early stuff has been.

KingBroly

Banned
When Valve releases the inevitable teaser announcement/trailer for this, it'll just be "3" and everyone will lose their fucking minds.

Then it'll be revealed to be L4D3 and everyone will hate them for it.

Russ T

Banned
Valve does a LOT of shit in a LOT of different areas.

Just because it's not "games" doesn't mean it's not creative.

They're busy as fuck.

Developing VR was not easy. And it's not done.

Making the Steam controller was not easy. And it's not done.

Continuing to update and manage Steam is... well it's not as easy as people think, but it's relatively easy (the managing part, anyway). But it's not done.

Continuing to provide new content for Dota 2, TF2, and CS:GO is not easy. And it's not done.

Making Source 2 was definitely not easy. And it's not done.

Listen I'd love more games from Valve. I wish their priorities were different. But this idea that they don't really accomplish anything meaningful is... wrong.

SomTervo

Dear god NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

honestly it's the obvious decision

1. zombies are fucking incredible in VR. they are terrifying, especially when they get up close. the sense of someone/something being in your personal space is really uncanny

2. Valve went all-in with supporting the £700 HTC Vive. obviously if they ever pioneer a high-end first-person experience again it'll be a VR one

Nzyme32

Valve have to be doing something since 2011 that doesn't involve patches..

2013 - Dota 2 (no, most of us didn't get beta access till 2013 when it released)
2016 - The Lab

The Lab was awesome too. A great little beginners romp through roomscale VR, but unfortunately not as substantial as I would like, as is pretty much the same across all VR games thus far

Valve does a LOT of shit in a LOT of different areas.

Just because it's not "games" doesn't mean it's not creative.

They're busy as fuck.

Developing VR was not easy. And it's not done.

Making the Steam controller was not easy. And it's not done.

Continuing to update and manage Steam is... well it's not as easy as people think, but it's relatively easy (the managing part, anyway). But it's not done.

Continuing to provide new content for Dota 2, TF2, and CS:GO is not easy. And it's not done.

Making Source 2 was definitely not easy. And it's not done.

Listen I'd love more games from Valve. I wish their priorities were different. But this idea that they don't really accomplish anything meaningful is... wrong.
Other developers do far more than this with greater productivity, I have a feeling Valve's structure is a huge part of their incompetence.

L4D3 does seem like the most likely game they're actually working on, but it;s the one I least care about

It's basically a disappointment for me because they make so few games, and when they finally do it's something like L4D which I don't care about at all. It doesn't even feel like they are the same studio that brought us Half-Life 2 and Portal 2. They seem laser focused on multiplayer and money generating hat schemes and such. I know they are a business and that makes far more money than a single-player game but that doesn't mean I can't be disappointed about it.

daveo42

Banned
I'll believe they are actually working on it once they either show it off or it just pops up on sale on Steam some day in the distant future. At this point, I feel like all of this is just teasing fans with stuff that leads no where.

Nzyme32

Other developers do far more than this with greater productivity, I have a feeling Valve's structure is a huge part of their incompetence.

Really? For their size they get a ridiculous amount done. The Steam Controller is my most used thing Valve have released with the exception of CS, and I'd argue it has maintained that same push of iterative updates that improve it massively over time. Although equally that results in the bugs that pop up along the way in typical Valve style of seemingly no QA outside the beta folk.

Steam, Steam Link / Controller + updates, CS updates, Dota updates, SteamVR / Vive + updates, The Lab, have all been pretty great. I don't think I have an issue with a company of that size having such an output. Comparatively, no don't see many other studios with a similar output. Of course if you don't use or want these things, that's on your choice. There's great usage of all of these for different people.

It's actually the folder where HL3 assets have been left for dead.

giphy.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Would much more prefer a new IP btw. Has been a while since one of those...

I'm still crossing my fingers and toes that Stars of Blood will be reborn as a Source 2 title. An open-world space pirate game with an effectively unlimited budget is just too good a dream to give up on. I mean, such a game would be rather easy to monetise a la Valve's big three, and be begging for additional content, so even from the pessimistic perspective of "Valve just makes games that it can turn into cash cows" it's a sensible pursuit.

mechphree

Could be anything, could be nothing considering the game has been supposedly coming soon for years.

Popular theory is them masking it with L4D2, that's why a lot of them have been playing it a lot lately.

Seems plausible I guess but very thin. L4D3 would be great though right about now.

Russ T

Banned
I'm still crossing my fingers and toes that Stars of Blood will be reborn as a Source 2 title. An open-world space pirate game with an effectively unlimited budget is just too good a dream to give up on. I mean, such a game would be rather easy to monetise a la Valve's big three, and be begging for additional content, so even from the pessimistic perspective of "Valve just makes games that it can turn into cash cows" it's a sensible pursuit.

yooooo my dude

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Whatever, i don't care anymore.

Valve is dead to me.

Nzyme32

I think I quote you every time you say it, but yes, that is exactly the same hope I have.

Top Bottom