• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve is launching a story-driven Dota 2 co-op campaign later this month

ScOULaris

To Battle Pass owners.

The International 2017 Battle Pass

ACT I: THE SANDS OF FATE
ARRIVING LATER THIS MONTH

ACT II: A VAULT IN THE DEEP
COMING IN JULY

This summer, all Battle Pass owners are invited to undertake a cooperative adventure into the blackest depths of Dark Reef.

Available to play later this month—and with Act II arriving in July—this all-new campaign calls upon you to party up with three friends or queue-met allies to battle through a diverse landscape of loathsome monsters, cunning traps, and other lethal terrors.

With the fate of Dark Reef and the safety of the free seas hanging by a fish-gut thread, you'll need to work together if you're to find any hope for survival.

dungeon_a.jpg
dungeon_b.jpg
dungeon_c.jpg

Is it just me, or is this freaking awesome?

You also gain Campaign XP while playing, you use that XP to spin the Wheel of Rewards to unlock cosmetics. The campaign is for four players, and it's implied that you can either party with friends or be queued with randoms.

Valve has been knocking it out of the park with their support of Dota 2 since earlier this year, and this Battle Pass addition is one of the coolest incentives I've seen yet.

jediyoshi

Doto is so ripe for someone to make a single player campaign with it. Would be nice if Valve fleshed out PvE features/scripting for modding.

TheRed

Damn really exclusive to Battle Pass? Don't want to buy another after I've bought others and ended up not playing any dota, I've moved on. I would like to play but no way I could get my group of friends to pay to play it with me anyway.

ScOULaris

Doto is so ripe for someone to make a single player campaign with it. Would be nice if Valve fleshed out PvE features/scripting for modding.
Well, you can create almost anything with the custom games editor, but it takes quite a bit of time and programming knowledge to make complex modes that differ greatly from the core DotA gameplay. People have made some cool custom games, though. You should check out the Arcade tab if you haven't yet.

Corpekata

Banned
There's been a few smaller scale RPGs that kind of nail that DOTA but singe player feel. Granted, most of them are less action oriented since they typically have you controlling multiple characters at a time. Aarklash: Legacy in particular I thought was an overlooked gem. Feels like a lot of eastern european indie devs have been making them, which is no surprise given how popular MOBAs are in the region.

frontovik

Banned
So that's where all the resources and time for Half Life 3 went...

I don't care about the Half Life series..

Not into Dota but would defently give this a try, one of my fondest memories of Warcraft 3 was playing mods that played like Diablo 2. Rexxar Campaign <3

I think this is a great idea, buried under a bad one---the battle pass. I think doing a co-op campaign, or any kind of campaign, is the perfect way for beginners who feel overwhelmed by online multiplayer to get their feet wet and figure out the game. I've tried to pick up Dota a few times and it absolutely frightens me. This sounds awesome though. Just wish it was open to more peeps.

jediyoshi

Well, you can create almost anything with the custom games editor, but it takes quite a bit of time and programming knowledge to make complex modes that differ greatly from the core DotA gameplay. People have made some cool custom games, though. You should check out the Arcade tab if you haven't yet.

I was already referring to modding ^^ If they lowered the barrier of entry to being able to create single player experiences, I could see it exploding. The level editor is already so straight forward. The closest things to that are typically still coop experiences.

Arkeband

Banned
Spin the wheel, aka here's some RNG gambling on top of the privelege of playing a time limited exclusive mode you just bought.

extremely underwhelming to me. I can't believe valve stopped making single player games. I don't see how it's a money issue. they have more money than anybody could ever hope for and single player games still sell just fine. What gives?

jediyoshi

Spin the wheel, aka here's some RNG gambling on top of the privelege of playing a time limited exclusive mode you just bought.

I can't tell whether you think RNG gambling is less worse if there's a purchasing element involved or not.

extremely underwhelming to me. I can't believe valve stopped making single player games. I don't see how it's a money issue. they have more money than anybody could ever hope for and single player games still sell just fine. What gives?

They're simultaneously developer three new games and working on 3 of the most active games on Steam, so &#129335;

sonicmj1

This campaign thing seems cool. I'd be tempted to try it.

It also looks like Valve has gotten even better at encouraging people to put arbitrarily large amounts of money into their yearly tournament book.

Prices, for perspective:

mjhErUd.png

Of course, there are still repeatable treasure unlocks. But now they've added a ton of unique rewards from level 1 to level 200 (approx. $88 in real money) and far, far beyond.

The highest level unique reward comes from the final customization to the Battle Pass-exclusive courier, which you get at level 1905. To reach that level by paying money, it would cost just shy of $800.

That's some serious whale hunting.

Where does it say it's time limited? If it is that would suck, I feel like time limited events in games have blown up since Guild Wars 2 and I really don't like them. Hey we're gonna spend time and resources making a mode or what have you for only a few weeks and then it's gone.

Budi

Nope, you wont get me back, I swear! 3070 hours played and I've been away for over a year. I'm happier without that community.

Tagyhag

Man, and I told myself I wouldn't get the Battle Pass this year. I'm not so sure now.

Maybe I could buy a pass after the international is over but what if it's something crazy like "This mode will only be available for the duration of the tournament"

This campaign thing seems cool. I'd be tempted to try it.

It also looks like Valve has gotten even better at encouraging people to put arbitrarily large amounts of money into their yearly tournament book.

Prices, for perspective:

mjhErUd.png

Of course, there are still repeatable treasure unlocks. But now they've added a ton of unique rewards from level 1 to level 200 (approx. $88 in real money) and far, far beyond.

The highest level unique reward comes from the final customization to the Battle Pass-exclusive courier, which you get at level 1905. To reach that level by paying money, it would cost just shy of $800.

That's some serious whale hunting.

They don't have to go far to hunt

tesqui

Awesome! I always wanted something like this since I'm not into the multiplayer that much.

And at least we're getting a Valve developed campaign experience for the first time in like 6 years. I hope they make a full fledged campaign for CSGO as well.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Every time I see screenshots of Dota 2, I think to myself, "I'd love to see a Valve-developed isometric ARPG."

Crayon

I've never played a match of dota online but here and there I look for custom games that area styled as a single player adventure. This game has a lot of potential to be played like that. I am excited to try this!

Top Bottom