• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve is working on a handheld game console named 'SteamPal'

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i just remembered something, this explains the lack of HL3 news!!!!!!!!

It will be exclusive to STEAMPAL!!!
Incredible strategy mr gabe.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is this definitely running on Windows? It would be more interesting if it is running SteamOS, and Valve and partners doubling down on native Linux or Proton support.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Is this definitely running on Windows? It would be more interesting if it is running SteamOS, and Valve and partners doubling down on native Linux or Proton support.
Almost certainly running on SteamOS I'd bet.

Another push from Valve for SteamOS is likely a big part of the motivation here. I could see them being able to pitch the "look how successful Switch is" thing to publishers to get some buy-in.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Almost certainly running on SteamOS I'd bet.

Another push from Valve for SteamOS is likely a big part of the motivation here. I could see them being able to pitch the "look how successful Switch is" thing to publishers to get some buy-in.
What do they need publisher buy-in for exactly? It runs Steam (and/or SteamOS) so it's a portable PC, it will run anything its (inevitably modest) specs can handle (+ Steam Link). People called Steam machines consoles before they revealed them also. There can't be a Steam console. It's a PC, like GPD Win or this or any number of notebook/tablet/usb stick/whatever form factor PCs are out there already. Just hopefully a very attractive solution that will be good PR and accelerate the appearance of more such devices from more companies (with or without SteamOS).

So, if people like the form factor, understand the specs when unveiled and it's to their liking, that is all they need to care about to buy it. Whether it sells a lot or succeeds in pushing SteamOS or not, it will work for their purposes regardless (if they didn't fall for any silly talk of it being a Switch-like console that will get x games running generally optimally for x years with no fiddling with settings and tweaks like on any PC) with the only problem being, if it flops, there won't be a next model to upgrade to when the time comes. But there will be plenty other alternatives.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Why do they need publisher buy-in? It runs Steam, it's a portable PC, it will run anything its inevitably modest specs can handle (+ Steam Link). People called Steam machines consoles before they revealed them also. There can't be a Steam console. It's a PC, like GPD Win or this thing.

Because Steam OS isn't Windows, and not all games support it... they have been pushing for devs/pubs to support Linux (and thus Steam OS) directly for ages.. they can use WINE but it's not optimal.

I seriously doubt Valve is releasing a mini-PC w/ a monitor...

My guess is it'll be a locked down Steam OS, that doesn't actually have a regular Linux install accessible.. fully "console-ized."

Now imagine if it could connect to a VR headset...

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

And whether it's Windows or not, the leaks surrounding the device imply devs have some ability to "support it" via some sort of configuration hooks.. might be any of the following:

- To enable touhc-specific controls when it's detected a game is running on the SteamPal
- To change UX elements to be easier to read/see on a small screen
- Disable other things that might break the console experience UX

It might be "every game works but supported games work better" or they could go the full console route of "you have to add these hooks to your game to have it work on SteamPal", the latter would likely be the best option.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It might be "every game works but supported games work better" or they could go the full console route of "you have to add these hooks to your game to have it work on SteamPal", the latter would likely be the best option.
In what universe is it likely better to ban your otherwise perfectly capable portable PC from playing thousands of older and/or indie games that aren't likely to be updated with a new "optimized for the brand new device that just came out" flag and presets even if they work basically just fine? No game publisher optimizes for specific laptop models either. It's all in the specs. As for controls, it's probably up to Valve to add xinput-like presets/modes for whatever controls they have included in that portable format so that it's recognizable by all those games and then their own/community presets like for the Steam controller for the rest, even if devs are also able to detect and take advantage of unique features in their own way with their own presets or more specialized tweaks, as they can already support any number of non traditional input methods if they're so inclined.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

In what universe is it likely better to ban your otherwise perfectly capable portable PC from playing thousands of older and/or indie games that aren't likely to be updated with a new "optimized for the brand new device that just came out" flag and presets even if they work basically just fine? No game publisher optimizes for specific laptop models either. It's all in the specs. As for controls, it's probably up to Valve to add xinput-like presets/modes for whatever controls they have included in that portable format so that it's recognizable by all those games and then their own/community presets like for the Steam controller for the rest, even if devs are also able to detect and take advantage of unique features in their own way with their own presets or more specialized tweaks, as they can already support any number of non traditional input methods if they're so inclined.
That comment was in context with this conversation I was having, which is about them trying to further adoption of Steam OS.

I'm not saying I think that'll be how it releases/works... sorry should have been more clear.

Chances are it'll allow installing of any OS either way.. that would be the Valve way. But I doubt it'll ship w/ Windows, and the early reports are it's Linux / Chrome OS based.. I'm not pulling that out of thin air, Ars Technica reported it.

If they want it to be popular outside of the hardcore PC crowd though, they'll console-ize it as much as possible. And try to get as much support for that console-like experience as possible from devs/publishers. (maybe not FORCE them to optimize for it, but make a major push for it)

We aren't really saying anything different from each other here.. I'm just expounding on the idea of it being a way to try to push for Steam OS support. Valve will probably make it a more open device; but I think it's release is more of an attempt to gain more support for the Steam OS "not PC-like experience" they have been pushing, to be more palatable to people that aren't really into PC gaming... so I think it'll SHIP with a bit more of a simplified Steam OS.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Um, no. Probably not.

mansoor1980

giphy.gif

JCK75

I don't see how there can ever be a Steam "console", people said the same stupid bullshit for the Steam machines, it always has to be PC if it's to have the Steam library to any worthwhile extent. If they partner with whoever to make a nice form factor and implement their controller ideas and everything and their own Linux distro etc., like a fancy GPD Win or whatever, sure, cool, that's still a PC. There will be the same old tinkering and spec and compatibility checking (rather than expecting AAA games that technically support the platform to work fine for the next x years as if it's a console with its own special version library) and all that is PC territory, no matter how fancy the form and the UI of it is. It's going to be just like any other brand's small/portable/tablet/whatever form factor PC. Like Surface, Yoga, Thinkbook or whatever, designed by Valve. And if one likes it and also understands everything that comes with it, good and bad compared to any other model, they don't even need to care whether it sells like a console or not either, it will still work for them regardless. I guess you'd care if it's not a success so there's no updated 202x model when you inevitably need to upgrade assuming the smaller form factors won't be easily or extensively upgradable like any laptop or smaller form AIO PC, but not for any other reason, as if it will not get many game ports like a failed console. Like some rushed to lol @ Steam machines as if the people who got one suddenly didn't have a functioning PC like any other prebuilt user because they didn't sell so hot (they weren't even released worldwide iirc). Calling anything like this a console is disingenuously misrepresenting its purpose to users and undersells what it is. I hope Valve won't do such pr bs.

The issue the Steamboxes ran into is they could not really use windows as the OS so they made a custom linux OS, at the time Linux support for gaming was horrible thus the limitations were far too much to deal with.. today thanks to one specific company linux gaming is quite amazing.... that company being Valve..

Give me a means of playing my Steam library on the go in a handheld form factor I'm certainly interested.

Top Bottom