• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve Layoffs: Several (25?) cut as Valve makes 'large decisions' about its future

Kifimbo

Several employees were let go from Steam and Half-Life maker Valve on Tuesday, Gamasutra can confirm.

We've been unable to determine an exact headcount, but phrases we've heard from affected employees describing the incident include "great cleansing" and "large decisions." We've seen the number "25" tossed around, but are unable to confirm this.

We can, however, confirm that the cuts have affected more than one department, namely hardware and Android development.

Affected employees were asked not to speak about specifics, but the impression we get is that these cuts were driven more by company challenges than by individual performance issues.

Valve has not responded to our requests for clarification. This story will be updated as we learn more about what happened.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...e_decisions_about_its_future.php#.URvSYGdFAbs

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...lve_makes_large_decisions_about_its_future.ph

Half-Life maker Valve on Tuesday, Gamasutra can confirm.

We've been unable to determine an exact headcount, but phrases we've heard from affected employees describing the incident include "great cleansing" and "large decisions." We've seen the number "25" tossed around, but are unable to confirm this.

We can, however, confirm that the cuts have affected more than one department, namely hardware and Android development.

Affected employees were asked not to speak about specifics, but the impression we get is that these cuts were driven more by company challenges than by individual performance issues.

Valve has not responded to our requests for clarification. This story will be updated as we learn more about what happened.

mark-wahlberg.gif

the impression we get is that these cuts were driven more by company challenges than by individual performance issues.

I wonder if this is fueled by a change in Valve's internal game development strategies.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Well, I guess with Half Life 3 production finally done they just don't need quite so many bodies there at the moment. Right guys?!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Trouble in paradise for sure. Extremely unfortunate for everyone let go, hoping the best for them especially as it wasn't for "performance" reasons. I wish Valve would man up a bit and talk about the situation though. The fact that they barely discuss anything is maddening.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Interesting. I hope we get some less vague details at some point in the future.

I really do not get this this I thought that Valve was the most stable place to work in the entire US work flow?
They do not over hire and have enough money to keep everyone on the payroll so what gives..................

HoodWinked

my thinking is that valve put some resources behind valvebox/android development gabe saw its lack of progress saw how much it was costing them and maybe didnt like the direction it was going and rather than letting this go on for years he smartly cut this off now maybe to focus more on its core market.

my thinking is that valve put some resources behind valvebox/android development gabe saw its lack of progress saw how much it was costing them and maybe didnt like the direction it was going and rather than letting this go on for years he smartly cut this off now maybe to focus more on its core market.

thats my impression from this too

Forkball

Valve to go third party.

Pretty shocking. I doubt Valve is cash-strapped. Hopefully we hear an official statement from them soon.

yami4ct

We'll likely never going to know what went down, or at least not for a while. I doubt it was a product that's been specifically been mentioned as being developed. The linux steam box is still probably coming. This could mean they're just going with the outsourced method for steam boxes in the future, though, and not have their own model after the first.

If I were to throw out some crazy, uninformed speculation, perhaps Valve was developing an android phone and ended up canceling it. A "gaming" phone is definitely something I could see Valve at least looking at.

km3k

Neo Member
How do you get laid off from Valve? By not rolling your desk away from a failing project fast enough?

Beaulieu

but but but.... gaf taught me that valve is the perfect company, that it bypasses all economy logics and that nothing bad can happen there :(

who woulve tought

Lunar15

Happens. I'm sure these people are talented enough to find work elsewhere, best of luck to them.

Not riding the "everything valve does is awesome" train, I just think it's silly when people get too upset about layoffs. They're not wonderful for the people who receive them (I can tell you that), but they're sometimes necessary and part of a growing, changing business. Layoffs don't always mean something went wrong at the company.

Good. Sorry but good. Valve needed to make some decisions and changes.
Hopefully they refocus around Steam and getting more releases in; if their worried about PC going the way of the Dodo then they need to set up protections for themselves by you know...releasing more games.

Though I wonder if a tech company is now backing Steam for a console.
I don't mind this as its clear Valve don't have the means to do it internally and it was foolish to put so much time and energy into it.

Hopefully they find reemployment, sounds very sudden.

waaaaaaaaaa I thought valve was ROLLING in it

Valve have a lot of costs to deal with. They only get a slice of everyone elses revenues. Digital is not a free service to run, it can be quite expensive.

DaBuddaDa

Over the past two years Valve has been rumored to be involved in hardware manufacturing (steambox), android development, creating new input devices including those based on eye movements, expansion of steam and drivers to linux, and more. It sounds like Gabe is reigning in some of this crazy to bring the company back into focus a bit. They have plenty of games to make (Dota 2 is still not out officially) and Steam still needs a tremendous amount of attention and expansion to keep up with rumored next-gen insanity.

Tobor

You guys are really jumping to conclusions here. We don't know how many projects Valve had going, and which ones are effected.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm guessing a refocus away from hardware and back on software when they realized how lucrative (or rather, not) the former endeavor was.

Top Bottom