• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve Layoffs: Several (25?) cut as Valve makes 'large decisions' about its future

yami4ct

Exactly what I think.

Making money on hardware is really difficult, I'm not surprised they couldn't make it work.

If they were to just create a spec for third-party devs to work within, I think that'd be a much better hardware model. I don't really see a reason valve needs to sell their own steam boxes. Honestly, I don't even want the full steam box they were talking of making. I'm much more interested in the cheap, streaming from my PC solution that they mentioned others are looking at doing.

Just because Valve is rolling in it doesn't mean they should keep employees around that aren't contributing to the direction or organizational structure that makes a good company.

Good luck to those affected though.

I guess not even Valve can support a bunch of dreamers working on stuff that might not make money back.

I always thought that given enough time, the brilliant minds at Valve would produce something earth shattering, even if it takes them 10 years.

1-D_FTW

my thinking is that valve put some resources behind valvebox/android development gabe saw its lack of progress saw how much it was costing them and maybe didnt like the direction it was going and rather than letting this go on for years he smartly cut this off now maybe to focus more on its core market.

He certainly wouldn't go to Dice a couple a days ago and talk about the need to get into the living room. Talk about the good/better/best Steambox. Talk about local streaming being the future. Talk about all that, and days later, can everything.

It seems like they've been experimenting in a million different directions. It's only natural, at some point, you decide on a couple directions you want to take and then drop all the other experiments. That's how products are made.

Good. Sorry but good. Valve needed to make some decisions and changes.
Hopefully they refocus around Steam and getting more releases in; if their worried about PC going the way of the Dodo then they need to set up protections for themselves by you know...releasing more games.

Though I wonder if a tech company is now backing Steam for a console.
I don't mind this as its clear Valve don't have the means to do it internally and it was foolish to put so much time and energy into it.

Hopefully they find reemployment, sounds very sudden.

More releases in? For a company where only like 50 people work on any single game, I find their releases to be incredibly aggressive. They usually do 1-2 (AAA) games a year, which you'd be hard pressed to find another company of 300 that are able to output that much quality that rapidly with such a small team.

What do you want their output to be? Yearly L4D releases or something?

yami4ct

I hope this is a sign Valve is sticking with making software and not focusing on grandiose hardware dreams.

I don't really think it is. Gabe seems really committed to doing some sort of hardware. He's really interested in making future tech. I suspect this is them just cutting some projects that weren't working out as they'd hoped.

25 employees isn't the sort of thing to cause a massive drama over.

Valve has relatively few employees compared to big companies and I don't think there never has been such a big layoff at Valve. Also, these are most likely very talented individuals and it seems to raise the question what they are planning with this.

More releases in? For a company where only like 50 people work on any single game, I find their releases to be incredibly aggressive. They usually do 1-2 (AAA) games a year, which you'd be hard pressed to find another company of 300 that are able to output that much quality that rapidly with such a small team.

What do you want their output to be? Yearly L4D releases or something?

What? By removing resources from silly side projects they can put more resources into games and general software. E.g. enlarge.

Am not quite sure how your point fits in there.

Tobor

He certainly wouldn't go to Dice a couple a days ago and talk about the need to get into the living room. Talk about the good/better/best Steambox. Talk about local streaming being the future. Talk about all that, and days later, can everything.

It seems like they've been experimenting in a million different directions. It's only natural, at some point, you decide on a couple directions you want to take and then drop all the other experiments. That's how products are made.

That's what I'm thinking.

The Hermit

A Valve layoff...never expect to actually see one.

I hope one of those large decisions includes the use of the number 3 in the title of games.

gdt

This is what happens when you have a shitty holiday sale.

dat delayed (by 6 weeks) effect

Mr.SatanDynamicPunchAndroid18.png

Derrick01

Banned
What's with the doom and gloom? They probably just decided they didn't want to do something they were doing and changed course. Valve isn't in trouble at all.

NeededSleep

Wonder if this is a shift away from the hardware sceen. Who knows they could of been approached by MS or Sony after the steambox show off.

Could of been promissed complete freedom on their systems in exchange for not continuing down the hardware road.

/tinfoil hat

Rufus

Didn't they find that there were no meaningful advances to be made as far as peripherals go? Or am I imagining things? It would be in line with what's happening.

“I'm as proud of what we don't do as I am of what we do.”

- Steve Jobs
While that is a nice aphorism I cringe every time he's quoted or invoked like some wise sage.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Publishers pay Valve to put their games on steam. If they never make another game again they'll still be profitable. These layoffs can't be because of money.

deadlast

I hope everyone lands on their feet.

Did Gabe see the PS4? Could it be our steambox? If so, I'm in for 2 at launch.

Hyperbole. Lots and lots of hyperbole.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
While that is a nice aphorism I cringe every time he's quoted or invoked like some wise sage.

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run.
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.
- Kenny Rogers

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Valve's headcount is was ~400 and the company doesn't partake in the typical ramp up/cycle down development structure (i.e. hiring contract employees during crunch time and laying them off as development begins to wind down), so the seemingly sudden loss of 25 full-time employees is relatively notable.

Publishers pay Valve to put their games on steam. If they never make another game again they'll still be profitable. These layoffs can't be because of money.

Valve take a cut of the revenue. They then have to run the Steam Service and pay for the organisational costs and server costs. Its not free.

Am not saying their sitting on no money and having a panic; they just can't go on paying them and not be making a loss that makes the rest of the company inflexible.

Either they've killed the hardware side; or they've got a tech company whose agreed to push a Steam Box for them and Steam just provide the service side.

Valve layoffs were LONG overdue. They had a lot of groups they hired wholesale when they should have been more discriminating who was needed from that team.

kswiston

It would be similar to EA laying off 500-700 people if you compare the size of the two companies.

That said, Valve seems to be doing a lot of exploratory R&D into projects that are only tangentially related to their core business. Perhaps they decided to refocus some of their efforts? Software developers can just be switched to a different project if a game or steam add-on is canned. It's more difficult to do that with hardware engineers and other specialized people.

Hopefully the hardware they were talking about was the crazy wearable biometric screen thing-a-majig Gabe has been going on about for the past few years and not the Steambox. As far as the Steambox, I thought it was always about Valve not actually manufacturing the hardware but having other manufacturers create Steambox-branded devices like what the 3DO tried to do years ago. Maybe the the recent CES showings of "prototypes" weren't as well received as they had hoped, especially if they spent a ton of money on R&D.

Dmented

Banned
Valve layoffs were LONG overdue. They had a lot of groups they hired wholesale when they should have been more discriminating who was needed from that team.

This. GabeN has mentioned over the past few days of them needing to be more strict on firing. Guess this was the time.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Best of luck to everyone let go.

A while ago, Gabe said that, and I'm paraphrasing, if 50 people who met Valve's employment qualifications applied to the company and passed the interview process, all 50 would be hired. I take it that this is no longer the case, if these firings were indeed motivated by efficiency.

Top Bottom