• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve: Portal 2 will probably be our last game w/ an isolated singleplayer experience

StuBurns

Banned
subversus said:
WTF is F-Stop (google didn't help)*

and who are cabals?

*I mean as a project.
F-Stop was Portal 2 till it was shelved because it didn't have any portals. It was a prequel to Portal set in Aperture, in the past, with no Glados or Chell.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
StuBurns said:
F-Stop was Portal 2 till it was shelved because it didn't have any portals. It was a prequel to Portal set in Aperture, in the past, with no Glados or Chell.

ok, and who are cabals?

Hylian7

Maybe it just means that Episode 3 will be bundled with Counter-Strike 2?

I sure hope that's the case, but maybe Valve knows what they're doing if it's not.

stupei

StuBurns said:
The premise would read too inherently negative I think, I don't want to rip on Valve, I'm a big fan of their games, and they're wildly successful so Gabe's opinion is of naturally more weight, and he can't argue his position.

I'll leave it here, but thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah, enjoyed the discussion.

As for F-Stop, Geoff avoids talking about the gameplay mechanics because he says Valve asked him to not go into those details as they might use them in future titles. Obviously there's the aperture connection, but you have to change the f-stop on a camera based on lighting conditions so I couldn't help but wonder if they had developed a gameplay mechanic that dealt with light.

Pyrokai

So much for Episode 3....

I'm just going to assume it's never going to be made. That way I can't be disappointed.

Now I'm going to cry alone in my room upon hearing the news that Ep3 does not exist and never will :(

Loam

subversus said:
WTF is F-Stop (google didn't help)*

and who are cabals?

*I mean as a project.

F-Stop was the name of the original Portal 2 concept that was supposed to be a prequel to Portal 1, which didn't feature the "Portal" mechanic. Instead the game was based around something entirely different. The concept was scrapped after play-testers/focus groups complained that it wasn't really Portal without quantum tunneling and Glados.

It's never stated what the gameplay mechanic was, but Valve apparently was pretty stoked about it so its likely the F-Stop concept will show up in a future game.

Hmm. Seems I was beaten.

StuBurns

Banned
stupei said:
Yeah, enjoyed the discussion.

As for F-Stop, Geoff avoids talking about the gameplay mechanics because he says Valve asked him to not go into those details as they might use them in future titles. Obviously there's the aperture connection, but you have to change the f-stop on a camera based on lighting conditions so I couldn't help but wonder if they had developed a gameplay mechanic that dealt with light.
Given the story was a lot darker (pardon the term), and Gabe seems keen on making games that are more horror focused, I think that would make sense.

subversus

So as I understand Swift left the company but her ideas were used? Sucks to be her in this case since she could use them herlself.

StuBurns

Banned
subversus said:
So as I understand Swift left the company but her ideas were used? Sucks to be her in this case since she could use them herlself.
Were or weren't used? Her idea wasn't used.

I have no idea why she left, F-Stop was greenlite and she moved on to L4D, then L4D2 and didn't work on Portal 2, maybe she was waiting around for a studio to give her a project of her own, but she said she left because she had friends at Airtight Games.

Haunted

First there's a sharp pain, then you feel some numbness spreading all over as the shock sets in and finally, you feel the blood slowly dripping down your back.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
God damn, Valve. Don't do this.

With that said, I think that this won't make it through, just like Portal 2's initial concept. Maybe what will happen is that HL3 will have independent SP and a separate co-op campaign.

Or just SP, both work for me.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I'm not sure why people are worried, when was the last time they released a game that didn't have a multiplayer component or wasn't released alongside a multiplayer game? Half-Life 1. Every game they've released since then has either had multiplayer or was developed and released alongside a multiplayer game. I think they've proven that they can develop great singleplayer and multiplayer games at the same time. I don't know why people would expect that to change.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Spire said:
I'm not sure why people are worried, when was the last time they released a game that didn't have a multiplayer component or wasn't released alongside a multiplayer game? Half-Life 1. Every game they've released since then has either had multiplayer or was developed and released alongside a multiplayer game. I think they've proven that they can develop great singleplayer and multiplayer games at the same time. I don't know why people would expect that to change.

Uh, no. What about Half-Life 2.

Oh, and HL2 Deathmatch was a standalone title.

StuBurns

Banned
Spire said:
Because Valve said that's going to change? I don't think you understand the OP.

subversus

Juan29.zapata said:

that was in 2004. Also they were pushed to release it ASAP by expectations and leaks.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Juan29.zapata said:

Counter-Strike: Source was released with HL2.

Because Valve said that's going to change? I don't think you understand the OP.

Oh, I misread it. How that effects Half-Life, I don't know, but I'm reminded of that game they were involved with where the single-player experience was altered and affected by what other people were doing online. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

EDIT: Oh, "The Crossing".

HL3 is gunna be an MMO type deal where you play a soldier in Gordon Freeman's army trying to overthrow the Combine menace. You heard it here first.

How could valve make more money than they did with Orange box? Make Half-Life 3 with Counter-Strike 2 and a another portal game spin off.

Or something compelling and original is good too.

I personally have been moving away from all the online/multiplayer/coop stuff this gen and will probably continue to do so in the future. I just want to be absorbed in interesting worlds, without dealing with others. Sure, playing socially has it's place, hell most people seem to prefer it, but I don't get the same sense of escapism or immersion with other people involved. Gaming with others often feels like a chore for me.

This hurts coming from Valve, as they are one of the few companies I felt might have had a shot at being, I dunno, a bit introspective maybe? Probably not the right word but whatever. I just don't want the rest of their games to be about dealing with some jackass sluring me over a microphone.

Just my two cents. I'm sure this statement was misleading on some level, but I will definitely be frustrated if it's not just me and Alyx in Ep. 3.

MMaRsu

Banned
What the fuck? I needs mah HL3 SP ONLY please Valve what the fuck.

Or HL2:EP3 whatever it's called now.

But seriously, who the hell wants either coop or multi in episode 3????????

Timber

Look if I want multiplayer I'll boot up Mario Kart like a respectable human being. Precious NOW YOURE THINKING WITH nerdgasms and postapocabroshooters I enjoy in the dark, alone, ashamed, weeping. Is Half Life 3 out yet?

Co-op is fine by me. As long as I can still play a game in SP I'll be fine. Valve is actually one of the only developers who can make a SP campaign that I'm fine playing by myself which I find amazing.

Kind of thought they may be playing more into multiplayer though after the Portal 2 box art.

MMaRsu said:
What the fuck? I needs mah HL3 SP ONLY please Valve what the fuck.

Or HL2:EP3 whatever it's called now.

But seriously, who the hell wants either coop or multi in episode 3????????

Why would the option to play coop matter if you can still play through SP by yourself? It doesn't hurt.

MMaRsu

Banned
butter_stick said:
I'd buy HL(ep)3 if it was co-op all the way through. If it's single player only I'll probably skip it; never been able to enjoy a HL game.

So why should Valve cater to people like you? You have no interest in HL, or know anything about the story or characters.

StuBurns

Banned
MMaRsu said:
So why should Valve cater to people like you? You have no interest in HL, or know anything about the story or characters.
Why not cater to him if it's not going to hurt the solo play experience?

Jenga

Banned
StuBurns said:
Why not cater to him if it's not going to hurt the solo play experience?
i'd say catering to someone with no previous experience to the franchise would definitely hurt the solo play experience

particularly, people WITH previous experience

you know, their fanbase

anyways this comment really gives me the impression valve said it to geoff to fish and gauge reactions more than anything

sflufan

Banned
The more I think about it, the more I can see the "cross-play" concept of "The Crossing" being a means of integrating a non-isolated component into single-player without compromising the narrative or resorting to co-op.

Jenga

Banned
can you imagine what a co-op only EP3 campaign would be like tho?

I'm the type of guy who likes to complete games in one long-ass sitting. It'd force me to team up with someone who very likely would have their own life and schedule going on and I wouldn't be able to beat it when I want to beat it. This I think would be the worst failing in a co-op campaign.

Jenga said:
can you imagine what a co-op only EP3 campaign would be like tho?

I'm the type of guy who likes to complete games in one long-ass sitting. It'd force me to team up with someone who very likely would have their own life and schedule going on and I wouldn't be able to beat it when I want to beat it. This I think would be the worst failing in a co-op campaign.
Forced co-op also screws up atmosphere, breaks immersion, and forces things such as making sure Alyx/Gordon never get split up by any meaningful distance or in any meaningful way. I completely trust Valve, and don't think they will screw up Episode 3, especially after all the years we've been waiting.

Jenga

Banned
clip said:
Stop being concerned people, whatever it is, it'll be amazing and you all know it.
it won't be amazing if I have to drop in the middle of a campaign because my partner has school/work in the morning

Blizzard

Banned
clip said:
Stop being concerned people, whatever it is, it'll be amazing and you all know it.
I think we should refuse to buy it unless it features potatoes in some way, and a way to unlock it early.

Top Bottom