• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve shows Aperture Portal themed VR demo

Flarin

The 8-4 guys were talking about this on Tuesday's Bombcast. I think they're just using the Portal world to demo the VR device. I wouldn't be so sure it's Portal 3, but then again this is Valve so fuck it who even knows.

Wasnt Valves demo last year a model from Portal, this guy might be jumping to conclusions. Here is hoping they actually announce it though.

Isn't there a good chance that this is just Portal 2 re-done in VR and he's just a little bit confused?

In that video he seemed super-fucking sure he was hovering on the edge of huge NDA breakage

"It was eerrrrrr uuuhhhhhh aahhhhhhh fuck it, It was portal 3 its probably announced by the time you see this"

Raxious

This would be a strange lie. He says he's PLAYED it, and thinks it will have been announced by the time this video went live.

My guess is he got to play a portal level with the VR, and believes it to be Portal 3. However it's more then likely he played Portal 2.

red731

DL:FJA:LKDGhNDGK/;lsfag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ed: Aperture? Hmm...Trying to keep calm and inhale air

MattyG

Banned
lie.gif

I'll believe it when I see it. I have a feeling he's misunderstanding something and it's just a demo.

Fee

Assuming this isn't bullshit, it looks like valve has their killer app, it's hard for me to think of a popular franchise that would work in VR better.

Nibel

Did he just leak info about Portal 3

Or is it just buncha Portal 2 assets in Source 2 used to showcase SteamVR

Armaros

When I see Gabe standing around saying its portal 3, is when I believe.

Until then, I'm going to guess its just a tech demo using a familiar setting.

I'm not sure I could handle Portal in VR. That part in Portal 1 where you jump down the hole and have to use your momentum to climb that huge room where the steps are a hundred feet above you, coupled with the camera change when your perspective flips would probably make my stomach turn.

papercamm

I can't ever trust an announcement rumor when Valve is involved. That being said I would lose it if this was announced for real.

PranooY

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9048/testing-the-htc-re-vive-with-steam-vr-better-than-oculus

The final demo was somewhat of a treat. In true Valve fashion I was thrust into a Portal based room with GLaDOS issuing commands over a loud speaker. The artistry was pure Portal through and through, with Portal 2 based figurines. GLaDOS issued commands to open drawers, which the game allowed you to open the wrong drawer twice before opening the right drawer. In the second incorrect drawer was a piece of really old cake, but there were experiments to run and research to be done – thankfully I was still alive so I continued with the demo and opened the right drawer which housed a small Portal stick figure community. Unfortunately GLaDOS told me that looking into the drawer would cause the community to worship me as a god and in the end we had to close the drawer and there was the sound of something burning. I then walked over to the other side of the room and was instructed to open a door via a lever, causing a damaged Portal 2 robot to stumble into the room and be attached to a harness. GLaDOS instructed me to repair the robot by pulling a few parts before giving some incomprehensible instruction that caused the robot to disintegrate. The robot parts were cleared and the walls dismantled to show GLaDOS who expressed disappointment - 'Oh, it's you...'. At this point I was on a small segment of floor while I could see far and wide into the Portal underground moving bits around, before the walls around me were quickly rebuilt into what looked like the start of a Portal level. There was even a companion cube.
:'(
(Doesn't sound like Portal 3)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm not sure I could handle Portal in VR. That part in Portal 1 where you jump down the hole and have to use your momentum to climb that huge room where the steps are a hundred feet above you, coupled with the camera change when your perspective flips would probably make my stomach turn.

This. I can't imagine any level in portal 1 or 2 that wouldn't turn your stomach inside out within seconds. No way are they going to use that game as one of the first VR releases.

The Verge description of being in a room in the portal worlds is much more reasonable - no mention of actual portals or jumps etc.

Top Bottom