• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve shows Aperture Portal themed VR demo

Syf

Banned
w-what

hold me

edit: oh apparently just a tech demo :( still, exciting. Hopefully Portal 3 really is in the works with full VR support.

LDAF

Re-posting what I said in the other thread: The other guys who tested it out already said it was a Portal demo, but they didn't specify Portal 3. This guy MAY be jumping to conclusions, but he may be right at the same time.

MayMay

Banned
Wait, the ONE game they said they wouldnt develope a sequel to..... gets a sequel?

Volvo pls

Re-posting what I said in the other thread: The other guys who tested it out already said it was a Portal demo, but they didn't specify Portal 3. This guy MAY be jumping to conclusions, but he may be right at the same time.

Yeah this makes more sense.

1cf.gif

iMax

Isn't there a good chance that this is just Portal 2 re-done in VR and he's just a little bit confused?

deleted

Other sites are talking about a VR demo set in Portal where you have to repair a droid. Maybe he got it mixed up?

Dominator

This would be a strange lie. He says he's PLAYED it, and thinks it will have been announced by the time this video went live.

Tenebrous

What the fuck, really?

I hope it's not just a tech demo. Valve could easily have used an unused test chamber to show off Source 2 & Hive, but...

I think he just confused the Portal demo for the Vive with a new game. I think it's just a demo set in Portal's universe.

From the Verge's write-up:

Valve has also put together what I'd describe as a mildly interactive Portal short movie. It's called Aperture. I was tasked with repairing a malfunctioning drone, and my inevitable failure drew the always-sarcastic disapproval of GLaDOS. As much as I love Portal, I found that to be the weakest part of the Vive VR demo; I was just following highly specific orders and wasn't given any freedom to experiment and interact with things that weren't designed to be manipulated by my virtual hands.

Sounds like a tech demo.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't there a good chance that this is just Portal 2 re-done in VR and he's just a little bit confused?

It has to be this. There's no way we're getting Portal 3 this fast, before L4D3.

ekim

HTC and Valve saved their best demo for last. The spokesperson told me that he would keep quiet from then on and I was to follow the instructions given. As the scene faded from black, I found myself in a very familiar environment. I could feel myself smiling, grinning from ear to ear. I couldn't help myself. I was in an Aperture Science testing facility. Yes, I was inside the world of Portal.

It looked as if I was in some kind of repair room. A disembodied voice came over the speakers and told me to open a drawer. I looked around me, saw some built-in drawers and walked over to them. I opened a drawer, only to see blueprints and tools. The voice said I opened the wrong one, so I tried again. This time, I saw a moldy cake. Apparently that was the wrong one also, so I opened another one. It contained tiny, little cutout people at tiny, little office desks who went berserk at the sight of me. The disembodied voice told me that I had made a mistake and that I was now their god.

Suddenly, Atlas awakened, and lumbered toward the room. It was so imposing and realistic that I backed away instinctively from the door.
Giving up on me, the voice then told me to walk across the room and pull on a lever. I did that and a giant door opened. Behind it were two of Portal 2's androids, Atlas and P-Body, lying on the floor broken and in disrepair. Suddenly, Atlas awakened, and lumbered toward the room. It was so imposing and realistic that I backed away instinctively from the door. The voice then told me to press on a button to expand its components so that I could repair it. I did so, pulling on its front exterior to expose its electronic guts. The next thing the voice told me to do was so complicated and full of technical jargon that I knew it was impossible. The voice told me to keep calm while also warning me with increasing urgency that if I didn't accomplish the task in time, I would fail.

And, of course, I did. Atlas collapsed on the floor with great noise and fanfare; the floor gave way and the room started to fall apart around me. I was told in a deadpan manner that I was now not qualified to do anything. Then, a familiar voice popped up. It was GladOS, Portal's AI antagonist, wondering out loud how a robot could possibly fail this simple mission until a camera popped by and saw me, to which she responded, "Oh." As the room started to get rebuilt around me, she said that I had done well as far as humans go, and that I was relieved of my duties. The demo then faded out to an outro and it was over.

But I didn't want it to be. I wanted to stay in that world. I wanted to keep playing. I wanted now, very badly, to play Portal 2 in virtual reality. It was the most immersive experience, and frankly, the most fun I've had with a VR headset strapped on my head. The ability to walk around the room and directly interact with objects around me makes a huge difference. It's made me a convert to VR.
http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/04/htc-vive-hands-on/

Hold me.

Top Bottom