• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve soft launches Source 2 with Dota 2 port, Dota 2 Xbox reticule found, L4D3 refs

Theonik

So finally we get the tools Valve has been boasting about making for the past few years. Even Valve knew Hammer was crap which is why it was abandoned. I hope we get cross-platform tools with this too. We should be, since part of why they made new tools from the ground up was that Hammer relied to heavily on Windows GUI Apis and porting it over would be relatively hard. (and Valve uses Ubuntu on their workstations)

So finally we get the tools Valve has been boasting about making for the past few years. Even Valve knew Hammer was crap which is why it was abandoned. I hope we get cross-platform tools with this too. We should be, since part of why they made new tools from the ground up was that Hammer relied to heavily on Windows GUI Apis and porting it over would be relatively hard. (and Valve uses Ubuntu on their workstations)

This is what a Valve dev said last year

Sibylus

Banned
I'm suddenly blanking on the name of the software they used to build the new hammer and the like with, but the about page touted its being platform agnostic. I think modders and mappers on Mac and Linux don't have to worry about the tools only working on Windows.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Nice it starts here and with the mod tools. Those leaked slides with L4D3 info and stuff mentioned it so it didn't seem that far off.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So Left 4 Dead 3 announcement soon-ish? Within the year?

This update isn't indicative of any future plans regarding unannounced games, but that being said I wouldn't be shocked if L4D3 is announced next year with a Q4 release date.

I'm suddenly blanking on the name of the software they used to build the new hammer and the like with, but the about page touted its being platform agnostic. I think modders and mappers on Mac and Linux don't have to worry about the tools only working on Windows.

Qt Creator?

just a wild guess, since I've seen it show up recently a lot regarding Valve

Yeah I know, it was more a question of whether this release was cross-platform rather than if they are porting the tools to other platforms which I assume was a given.

Currently it's not

At the moment the tools require a 64-bit version of Windows and a Direct3D 11 compatible GPU. We are working on expanding the number of PC configurations (including 32-bit OSes like Windows XP) that will be able to run this but wanted to get the tools out there so developers could start working on their Custom Games.

MayMay

Banned
So, anyone already found L4D3/HL3 references in the files? There have to be some, after all the leaks. Valve never properly cleans up their mess lol

So which one of you posted this on reddit? You have people thinking they're going to have to buy a new computer to run Dota 2 based off of what the system requirements are to run the Dota 2 Workshop Tools.

Rivitur

Banned
If true than lord gaben has finally awaken from his long slumber and has blessed us with source 2. (No games tho..)

Whole thing is exciting but... at the same time every Dota mod would feel like a distraction from the main game to me.
Qt Creator?

just a wild guess, since I've seen it show up recently a lot regarding Valve
I think it's a fair guess. Maya switched to Qt for it's UI a while ago. Even though it was already platform agnostic.

Okay, this is the first time I'm seeing this

l4d2 has already been ported over. There are some screenshots and a talk from Dev Days about it (that I attended). I'm trying to find a screenshot of it to compare the file structure from that with this structure, but it's pretty much the same as I remember.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2cv5os/so_the_workshop_tools_isnt_just_a_modding/cjjcmcm

They actually ported L4D2 over, as well as TF2. They mentioned it multiple times at Dev Days that they had ported those games over.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2cv5os/so_the_workshop_tools_isnt_just_a_modding/cjjda2o

Their other games are ported to source 2 internally. They talked about it at Dev Days.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2cv5os/so_the_workshop_tools_isnt_just_a_modding/cjjdbux

Yes, we had those leaks in january, but the source said the slides were from '11 and the pic of the file list was the only hint they're porting their old games over. I watched I think all of the SDD vids and read impressions, no one gave even a hint about this.

Okay, this is the first time I'm seeing this

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2cv5os/so_the_workshop_tools_isnt_just_a_modding/cjjcmcm

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2cv5os/so_the_workshop_tools_isnt_just_a_modding/cjjda2o

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2cv5os/so_the_workshop_tools_isnt_just_a_modding/cjjdbux

Yes, we had those leaks in january, but the source said the slides were from '11 and the pic of the file list was the only hint they're porting their old games over. I watched I think all of the SDD vids and read impressions, no one gave even a hint about this.
The did the same with Half-Life 1 so its not that unusual.

As someone who has been working on a HL2 mod for the past month or two, this is actually pretty interesting.

I've been saying to my friends for a while that I think Half life 3 was delayed because they decided they wanted it on source 2. I imagine that or L4D3 is gonna be its big debut.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
As someone who has been working on a HL2 mod for the past month or two, this is actually pretty interesting.

I've been saying to my friends for a while that I think Half life 3 was delayed because they decided they wanted it on source 2. I imagine that or L4D3 is gonna be its big debut.

The little evidence we have that both exist strongly suggests L4D3 is further along.

Menome

My completely bullshit theory: Much like CS:Source shipped as Half-Life 2's multiplayer feature, Left 4 Dead 3 will be Half-Life 3's multiplayer.

Menome

Nice. I guess Half-Life 3 is only a few Valve-years away from being announced then.

Laura25Years.jpg

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
pQYQvvO.gif

This is how people said it would happen. Half-Life 3 will just be there one day to 0 fanfare.

It's happening.

ekim

more proof:
Code:
c:\buildslave\[B]source2_dota_rel_win64\[/B]build\src\socketlib\socketlib.cpp

You can find that string when opening the vconsole2.exe with a text editor.

ekim

Oh well... looks like the engine/Dota2 is coming to Xbox...

dota_ugc\content\core\soundstacks\soundstacks_core.vsndstck
Code:
"[B]xbox_dashboard_music[/B]"
			{	
				"data_type" "float"
				"value" "1.0"	
			}

dota_ugc\content\core\dev\vgui\materials\hud\xbox_reticle.vtex

dota_ugc\game\bin\win64\engine2.dll

Code:
(Only used when hosting [B]xbox games[/B]). Send clients updates at the same time. This saves CPU because the server will encode and calc deltas on less frames
---
[B]Dedicated Server for Xbox. Not using STEAM.[/B] 
---
XboxSystemInterface001
---
CXboxSystem::EnumerateAchievements
c:\buildslave\source2_dota_rel_win64\build\src\engine2\[B][B]xboxsystem.cpp[/B][/B]
--
gameui_xbox
dota_ugc\game\bin\win64\client.dll
Code:
XboxDialogs.res / resource/UI/XboxDialogs.res

dota_ugc\game\bin\win64\server.dll
Code:
ERROR: CSource2Server::Connect - Failed to connect to [B]xboxsystem[/B]

dota_ugc\manifest\all_shipping_files.txt
Code:
game/dota_imported/resource/ui/[B]xboxdialogs[/B].res@2166751

edit: or these are all leftovers from Source 1 on Xbox360... Someone might check the respective files from S1?!

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Oh well... looks like the engine/Dota2 is coming to Xbox...

I don't think Dota would, but they release everything on consoles, even if they don't support it.

Isn't it a little weird that Valve makes all it's game with a one-size-fits-all engine?

MayMay

Banned
Weirdly, I didn't find any Playstation references.

Maybe those are indeed some ancient leftovers. L4D and L4D2 were Xbox exclusive, and EA did the ports of all others games except Portal 2. Was Dota 2 running on the Portal 2 engine? If not I guess it makes sense that Playstation is nowhere to be found then

even just not having to recompile for lights is big for me

So which one of you posted this on reddit? You have people thinking they're going to have to buy a new computer to run Dota 2 based off of what the system requirements are to run the Dota 2 Workshop Tools.
reddit as a whole is dumb as hell just ignore them

Top Bottom