• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve starts Team Fortress 2 ARG - [Teaser Comic Unlocked]

the pyro will remove his mask to reveal himself as a Mighty Eagle and fly off into the sunset

god bless america

9DRAG.gif

Exuro

I wonder if this will be pve or if they'll still retain some sort of pvp in it. Or maybe both. pve with one team against the horde and then a pvp version where whoever is doing better can call in more robots for the other team to go against?

Dreavus

I wonder if this will have anything to do with those "robot" skins on the workshop, found here. They look amazing!

EDIT: Judging by that demoman picture, I'd say that's exactly what this is.

I love TF2. I've played thousands of hours of it and still play it every single day.

But they way they do their updates and the weird niche comics and lore shit that they have conjured around the game as a vehicle for updates is fucking stupid.

I'm consistently surprised by both the depth and consistency of the TF2 lore and backstory, particularly as it's all a big joke in the first place.

im lost. tf2 has lore?

Yes, lots, and it all ties into each other, and none of it contradictory or forgotten about.

And absolutely none of it is exactly necessary for a game where red team try and kill blue team.

EDIT: and by that I mean there was never any actual need to have any personality to the cast outside of their playstyles, but knowing that (for example) the Soldier is room mates with a wizard and is bad about doing his chores, or that the snipers parents are disappointed in their sons career choice just adds enough depth to each to make the whole thing even funnier.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, there is some inconsistencies that pop up. Like a lot of the Demoman's 'lore' got retconned, like him killing his real parents (Nope, now they are his adopted parents), and how he lost his eye (In the explosion that killed his parents! Oh wait, no, a wizard did it. Really.)

JDSN

Banned
Well, there is some inconsistencies that pop up. Like a lot of the Demoman's 'lore' got retconned, like him killing his real parents (Nope, now they are his adopted parents), and how he lost his eye (In the explosion that killed his parents! Oh wait, no, a wizard did it. Really.)

Actually, I might be wrong about this, but one is the red demo (called Tavish DeGroot) and the other one is blu.

jph139

Man, hyped. I've definitely been lapsed with TF2 since Pyromania, but MvM has been such a long time coming. Lots of rumored bit; horde mode, upgrades/powerups, bombs, giant robot enemies... good stuff.

And the fact they've had teasers since 2010 makes it all the sweeter.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Soon, we will all be the Sons of Beep Boop.

I may be reading a bit too into this, but could they be possible hinting at a Wii U version of the game? TF2 has always grabbed me as the perfect game for the system. We would have the option of using the Wii U controller, which by itself offers endless possibilities in regards to the screen, but we would also have the option of using the Wiimote, which is easily the best input device for FPS (as we've seen time and time again).

Not to mention the fact that the Wii U's online component will easily blow any of the current ones out of the water. I truly hope this is the case, because I just can't get into the PC version of the game. The concept seems fun, but the controls and non-user friendly interface pull me away every time. I know I'd be all aboard for a Wii U version :)

wutwutwut

I may be reading a bit too into this, but could they be possible hinting at a Wii U version of the game? TF2 has always grabbed me as the perfect game for the system. We would have the option of using the Wii U controller, which by itself offers endless possibilities in regards to the screen, but we would also have the option of using the Wiimote, which is easily the best input device for FPS (as we've seen time and time again).

Not to mention the fact that the Wii U's online component will easily blow any of the current ones out of the water. I truly hope this is the case, because I just can't get into the PC version of the game. The concept seems fun, but the controls and non-user friendly interface pull me away every time. I know I'd be all aboard for a Wii U version :)
After this post and this one, I'm trying to figure out whether you're a joke poster.

BHK3

Banned
My weak google-fu skills have brought these robot heads to my attention, turns out they were snuck into the beta of source filmmaker when it was released, I don't know if they're still there though. Also in the skybox's of some maps like double cross, badwater and 2fort there are gaint blue tanks watching the action. I believe these were added in the most recent update. It could also mean that capicator item that people have been holding onto might tie into this, supposed Grey team. Also Valve stated that the big top secret project they were working on and will soon reveal was not the Pyro update nor source filmmaker.

Also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahgFw1SPKDk

Here's some more robot heads I found from this spanish site: http://www.taringa.net/comunidades/...as-de-robots-para-Man-Vs-Machine-Listas_.html

These heads don't seem fanmade, there are robot heads in the steam workshop but they differ from these.

vazel

Banned
Not sure how I feel about this. The classic red v blue enmity won't be the same when it's now red v blue v gray.

If a third team is added I hope they add new dynamic dialogue. I love Valve's dynamic dialogue.

Forkball

WE ALREADY TALKED ABOUT THIS IN THE TF2 THREAD GET STYLED ON

But yes, everyone did a good job summing up what's happening. If you are a hardcore TF2 fan, this information is even more interesting as the wait for MVM has been excruciating. They have been teasing it since December 2011. Throw that in with a seven month gap of no big updates and constant teases, well people are finally glad to see something happening soon.

Lotto

I'm sure if they do decide to add a 3rd team that it would be limited to a game mode so you can always filter it out.

Dakota47

WE ALREADY TALKED ABOUT THIS IN THE TF2 THREAD GET STYLED ON

But yes, everyone did a good job summing up what's happening. If you are a hardcore TF2 fan, this information is even more interesting as the wait for MVM has been excruciating. They have been teasing it since December 2011. Throw that in with a seven month gap of no big updates and constant teases, well people are finally glad to see something happening soon.

You forgot about the Pyro update already?

Forkball

You forgot about the Pyro update already?

I was counting from mid December (Australian Christmas) to end of June (Pyromania). I guess six months, whatever math is hard. We didn't get anything substantial in that time frame, despite Valve saying a ton of cool stuff was coming early in the year.

Sentenza

idzyS6.jpg

Dakota47

I was counting from mid December (Australian Christmas) to end of June (Pyromania). I guess six months, whatever math is hard. We didn't get anything substantial in that time frame, despite Valve saying a ton of cool stuff was coming early in the year.

Ah, it makes sense now.

Dragnet

I've only just started getting into TF2, is there a good place to easily catch up on all the lore? Seems fun and interesting. A timeline or one place with all the lore in chronological order would be sick. Help?

Those robot heads like AWESOME btw. Wonder if they'll record new dialogue or just robot-ify the old dialogue.

Lotto

I've only just started getting into TF2, is there a good place to easily catch up on all the lore? Seems fun and interesting. A timeline or one place with all the lore in chronological order would be sick. Help?

Those robot heads like AWESOME btw. Wonder if they'll record new dialogue or just robot-ify the old dialogue.

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Storyline

There's some history. Following the links on that page will also explain things a bit more.

Top Bottom