• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve: Steam has taught us competitors are irrevelant for making business decisions.

Isn't this basically what Sony did? They repeatedly stated Microsoft didn't play a part in their decisions regarding the PS4, but rather it was a result of their interviews with developers. And a bit of luck with Hynix.

Sixaxis, psmove, yada yada
For PS4 yeah that's more the case

GlamFM

Banned
Isn't this basically what Sony did? They repeatedly stated Microsoft didn't play a part in their decisions regarding the PS4, but rather it was a result of their interviews with developers. And a bit of luck with Hynix.

And yet their marketing was focussed around how they are not doing what MS is.

maxresdefault.jpg

I also remember that the price for the PS4 was not fixed and ultimately decided on after MS made their announcement.

Overall the PS4 is absolutely a reaction to the PS3s failure and the 360s success.

Crayon

I don't think so. Sony seemed to be very keen on what the xbox360 did right, despite what they may have said.

Now back when ps1 launched, I remember how it was almost eerie how sony would practically refuse to acknowledge the existence of nintendo and sega.

Since the introduction of ms the the console market, sony has managed to keep it classy from a marketing and pr persecive. However, sony has been careful to watch and react to microsoft as they are a potentially devastating opponent, unlike sega or nintendo.

Apathy

And yet their marketing was focussed around how they are not doing what MS is.

maxresdefault.jpg

I also remember that the price for the PS4 was not fixed and ultimately decided on after MS made their announcement.

Overall the PS4 is absolutely a reaction to the PS3s failure and the 360s success.

There marketing was in point to remind people of a choice they had made when they did the reveal of the ps4 that said you could still share games. And yes the price was already set. A multinational company does not just change the price of a product an hour before they reveal it due to a competitors price. My good what world do you live it? I think at some point people need to go back and re watch the reveal for these things.

Crayon

And yes the price was already set. A multinational company does not just change the price of a product an hour before they reveal it due to a competitors price. My good what world do you live it?

Wait... he didn't...

Oh god, he did.

ffs, glam. Get a cup of coffee or something.

Apathy

I don't think so. Sony seemed to be very keen on what the xbox360 did right, despite what they may have said.

Now back when ps1 launched, I remember how it was almost eerie how sony would practically refuse to acknowledge the existence of nintendo and sega.

Since the introduction of ms the the console market, sony has managed to keep it classy from a marketing and pr persecive. However, sony has been careful to watch and react to microsoft as they are a potentially devastating opponent, unlike sega or nintendo.

Almost always classy. Remember the crash ads?

spekkeh

Banned
Sooo it's going to be significantly more expensive than 599. Damn! That means I probably don't have the budget and need to start kissing up to people.

GlamFM

Banned
There marketing was in point to remind people of a choice they had made when they did the reveal of the ps4 that said you could still share games. And yes the price was already set. A multinational company does not just change the price of a product an hour before they reveal it due to a competitors price. My good what world do you live it? I think at some point people need to go back and re watch the reveal for these things.

Wait... he didn't...
Oh god, he did.

ffs, glam. Get a cup of coffee or something.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=582886

This is where I heard it. Was apparently debunked later on.

Giant Bomb’s Jeff Gerstmann has been told that Sony didn’t have a set price in mind for the PS4 ahead of their E3 event, just a ball park figure. But as soon as they heard how much Xbox One would sell for they decided to not just beat it by a small margin, but come in $100 cheaper. That’s a huge selling point and marketing win for the company.

While it's true that they reiterated the things they said after the reveal, the way they reiterated them was basically slapping down the high balls MS was serving them.

Top Bottom