• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve: "We absolutely see Half-Life: Alyx as our return to this world, not the end of it"

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Okay.

The game appears to rely on it pretty heavily. You get rid of that and half the interactivity and charm of the game will be lost.

If the core of your game is "finger waggle", then they developed a pretty shit game.

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

As much as people want HL3, we aren't really ever gonna get it.

The talent has long gone and the lead writer has finished the tail with a wall of text.
It would be a HL game in name alone.

This is fantastic but still not getting half life VR. Not gonna waste 700 dollars for a single game.

Then spend 300-400 for a perfectly solid VR headset and 2 more other confirmed VR games coming up from Valve....oh, and the rest of the VR library that includes dozens of solid titles.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Then spend 300-400 for a perfectly solid VR headset and 2 more other confirmed VR games coming up from Valve....oh, and the rest of the VR library that includes dozens of solid titles.

You forgot having to have a suitable PC to be able to play that. It is not at all 300-400 like you claim.

Maybe a good comparison would be, removing the gravity gun from HL2.

That is not a good comparison at all. One is an integral part of the core game. Finger waggle? Isn't. Not to mention any PC can use the gravity gun at release. Just with issues in regards to FPS and graphical setting. Finger waggle? Requires you to buy specific controllers to do so, proprietary controllers at that. All at a higher cost.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

You forgot having to have a suitable PC to be able to play that. It is not at all 300-400 like you claim.

That is not a good comparison at all. One is an integral part of the core game. Finger waggle? Isn't. Not to mention any PC can use the gravity gun at release. Just with issues in regards to FPS and graphical setting. Finger waggle? Requires you to buy specific controllers to do so, proprietary controllers at that. All at a higher cost.

I'm not sure what you expect.

A) This was announced as a PC exclusive.
B) VR hardware for PC is $400+
C) You can't have crap hardware if you expect to run VR games without getting sick from crap frame rate.

If you don't want to pony up the money for the gear needed to play this game (whether that's the PC or Valve Index/etc.), then you're not going to be able to play it. Simple as that.

Of course, it's not the end of half life. Franchise has lot of life left.

But when will you release next game is the question. I am guessing you will make a few spin offs, beat around the bush and go back to being silent.

There are 100 million monthly Steam players, half of them have a VR capable PC. That's 50 million active PC players that need to pay 300-400 dollars. Yes, if you don't have a PC, you can't play Valve's Steam exclusive VR game. You also can't play any other game, VR or not, that is exclusive to Steam without a PC. It never makes sense when people try to bring up the cost of a PC as part of the price of admission. It's a given as with any system exclusive. If Half Life Alyx wasn't VR only, you would still have to buy a PC to play it, but people wouldn't be complaining about it essentially being a 1000 dollar game...because it doesn't make any sense. People are just afraid of change and buying new tech they don't understand, that's really all it boils down to.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Now how about making this work for traditional input methods so that the people who paid the way for half life to be so well loved in the first place can play it?
Don't you guys have phones?

Nothing but dog shit PR talk to get people hyped for this game. This company takes so long to release something and i wouldn't be surprised if the title seems unimaginative.

DOTA is in such a dog shit state it's not even a game thats catered around your average player. It doesn't even gain more players after big events such as TI. Valve has their head so far up their ass i don't think they know which planet they're on anymore. The 'were only going to have 6 strong heroes this patch' type of gameplay balance that a lot of competitive games seem to have adopted is starting to get very very fucking old and i'm quite sick of it.

The Steam chat app for android is absolute dog shit. Messages never go through you always get errors. Look at the reviews for the app and you'll see what i mean.

Last edited:

Herr Edgy

That’s good to hear.

Now how about making this work for traditional input methods so that the people who paid the way for half life to be so well loved in the first place can play it?

Not hating on VR. But it’s an expensive hobby for little gains, and everybody has been waiting since the dawn of man for a new damn half life...
Talk about entitlement man. What makes you think any one us deserve any games? You don't go around demanding titles be made in the way you envision them. Unless you fund them, in which case you are a publisher. It's all just groups of people and we don't go around asking for people to cater to us unless something like a contract is involved. Last I checked fans of Half Life got something out of buying the games and that is.. being able to play the games.
If you think your criticism is on the business side of things, that's fair, but your phrasing really stands out to me.

It's like damned if you do, damned if you don't... devs at Valve care enough about VR and Half Life that they decided to pull one of their dead franchises out of the coffin, which may or may not result in HL3 being made due to rekindled passion and possibly success. If they do what they want, which is making a new Half Life game after more than a decade in VR, you hear complaining, if they just don't make a HL game, you hear complaining. I get wanting it on PC, I truly do, but I think that mindset of being owed because you made a transaction more than a decade ago is pretty toxic. I'm sure that they decided to make a prequel instead of HL3 exactly because of PR reasons.

To be fair, the industry is kind of at fault here as well. They tried their best over decades to appear as far from human as possible and instead as a homgenous machine that only exists to pump out games. It's poison.

That being said, I don't own a VR headset yet, but I'm going to try getting an Index tomorrow when they get restocked. It's a lot of money but given the modular nature of it future upgrades are hopefully not going to be too expensive.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
There are 100 million monthly Steam players, half of them have a VR capable PC. That's 50 million active PC players that need to pay 300-400 dollars. Yes, if you don't have a PC, you can't play Valve's Steam exclusive VR game. You also can't play any other game, VR or not, that is exclusive to Steam without a PC. It never makes sense when people try to bring up the cost of a PC as part of the price of admission. It's a given as with any system exclusive. If Half Life Alyx wasn't VR only, you would still have to buy a PC to play it, but people wouldn't be complaining about it essentially being a 1000 dollar game...because it doesn't make any sense. People are just afraid of change and buying new tech they don't understand, that's really all it boils down to.

I genuinely can't tell if you are being purposefully obtuse or you genuinely don't get it. You don't need 1000 dollars to buy a PC to play it. You can buy a 300 dollar PC and be able to play it, if it wasn't VR. The issue is that you have to be extra money ON TOP OF the price of the basic PC, almost as much if not more than the PC you need to begin with. Couple the cost of proprietary controllers to "get the most out of" the game, the barrier to entry to a new Half LIfe, a franchise people have been waiting for over a decade to return, is too damn high.

If this was just a PC exclusive with the ability to play in VR ala Resident Evil 7 and PSVR, there wouldn't be an issue.

Wonko_C

I genuinely can't tell if you are being purposefully obtuse or you genuinely don't get it. You don't need 1000 dollars to buy a PC to play it. You can buy a 300 dollar PC and be able to play it, if it wasn't VR. The issue is that you have to be extra money ON TOP OF the price of the basic PC, almost as much if not more than the PC you need to begin with. Couple the cost of proprietary controllers to "get the most out of" the game, the barrier to entry to a new Half LIfe, a franchise people have been waiting for over a decade to return, is too damn high.

If this was just a PC exclusive with the ability to play in VR ala Resident Evil 7 and PSVR, there wouldn't be an issue.
Ah, but there would be an issue though: It wouldn't push VR forward. RE7 plays the same both in VR and on TV, so it's a good TV game, but a compromised VR game that doesn't exploit the medium's full potential. Valve knows VR is not only about the big brick strapped to your head, it's about putting you inside the game world, and that involves interacting directly with it.

This is better explained in this video, which summarizes an interview Adam Savage's Tested had with the guys at Valve pretty well:

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Ah, but there would be an issue though: It wouldn't push VR forward. RE7 plays the same both in VR and on TV, so it's a good TV game, but a compromised VR game that doesn't exploit the medium's full potential. Valve knows VR is not only about the big brick strapped to your head, it's about putting you inside the game world, and that involves interacting directly with it.

This is better explained in this video, which summarizes an interview Adam Savage's Tested had with the guys at Valve pretty well:

Then why not sell a "compromised" non VR version with the VR version being the "push forward"?

cryogenic7

Get a job and you'll be able to afford VR setup.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Get a job and you'll be able to afford VR setup.

I have a job - go fuck yourself, mate. Some things take priority over spending 600+ for a PC VR set up. Medical, bills, rent, etc.

The whole point was to develop a VR only game, designed around VR.

Let's be real. The whole point was to develop a VR game to sell their proprietary controllers/VR set up. That has been Valve's MO for nearly a decade now.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Then why not sell a "compromised" non VR version with the VR version being the "push forward"?
You're asking for Valve to make two different games.

Let's be real. The whole point was to develop a VR game to sell their proprietary controllers/VR set up. That has been Valve's MO for nearly a decade now.
If that was really the case, the game would only work with their proprietary Index headsets, but it works with every other PCVR headset. Valve wasn't even expecting this game to help move headsets so they didn't bother to make more until it was too late.

There's also the possibility of it coming to console: They said they're aware PlayStation VR users want it too, but they're focused on the PC release as of now. Pretty much sounds like it is going to come out on PSVR2 for PS5 at some point.

Last edited:

Romulus

I love his comparison of listening to a movie on the radio. Thats exactly why I've always thought VR videos were the worst thing to happen to VR. Of course its a necessity for advertising, but it strips it down to nothing.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I’m taking a major wait and see approach on this. It’ll the first half life game I don’t play on release :(

Herr Edgy

How does it actually push forward if compromises have to be made?
It's how multi-generational titles don't push the better machine to its limits due to real life constraints. Games don't get created in a vacuum.

Wonko_C

I love his comparison of listening to a movie on the radio. Thats exactly why I've always thought VR videos were the worst thing to happen to VR. Of course its a necessity for advertising, but it strips it down to nothing.
I can relate. I remember watching VR game trailers back then and not getting what was so different about it. I only really understood after watching a video similar to this one:

I don't know why every single VR trailer isn't like that yet, it clearly conveys the message of putting you inside a virtual world, with real-life scale and shit.

Last edited:

Three

That’s good to hear.

Not hating on VR. But it’s an expensive hobby for little gains, and everybody has been waiting since the dawn of man for a new damn half life...
The people who paid the way 😄. What way did they pay/pave? Those people are maybe playing VR too and paving the way.

Last edited:

Romulus

I don´t care, the franchise was as good as dead anyway.

To you yes, but 3 of top VR headsets selling out for months right after the announcement is something. One of them being a $1000 and it's just coming back into stock this week.

Of course you said it was all fake news lol

lukilladog

To you yes, but 3 of top VR headsets selling out for months right after the announcement is something. One of them being a $1000 and it's just coming back into stock this week.

Of course you said it was all fake news lol

Back in stock as I predicted, it was just scarcity marketing.

Top Bottom