• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

StuBurns

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
They've got non cosmetic items in TF2...not hard to believe it's going to spread to other games. This is just setting a precedent at this point.

I really hope none of this microtransaction nonsense spreads to my beloved Half-Life 3.
Very true, I guess my point was the TF2 experiment hasn't really slipped into Portal 2 or any other Valve game because the things in P2 aren't important at all. I also don't think it'd fit HL3, I don't think they could laugh off making people pay for a golden crowbar or Alyx wearing a seventies white suit or something. Portal being a comedy in tone allows for liberties I don't think Half-Life does. I also don't think any of that stuff would ever make it into CS2 either. But we'll see.

TheExodu5 said:
They've got non cosmetic items in TF2...not hard to believe it's going to spread to other games. This is just setting a precedent at this point.

I really hope none of this microtransaction nonsense spreads to my beloved Half-Life 3.
No. All items in TF2 that are more than a cosmetic change of some kind or involving the store (gifting, etc.) are available in game via drops and/or crafting.

Red

Corky said:
I just got up.
What's the recap from aprox 8hours ago?
Whole thing was staged, Portal 2 arrived at 12-12:30 EST variously for different people. Those with golden potatoes got it earlier. Golden potatoes also got Valve complete pack.

Game is brilliant.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Crunched said:
Whole thing was staged, Portal 2 arrived at 12-12:30 EST variously for different people. Those with golden potatoes got it earlier. Golden potatoes also got Valve complete pack.

Game is brilliant.

We knew it was staged 8 hours ago.

Golden potatoes? Is that people with all 36 potatoes or just those 8-9 "abducted" people?

edit : and yes the little I've played of the game is amazing

TheExodu5

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
No. All items in TF2 that are more than a cosmetic change of some kind or involving the store (gifting, etc.) are available in game via drops and/or crafting.

Yeah, but it's time consuming to obtain them. It feels like a free Korean MMO...it just cheapens the whole affair.

Fredescu

The fact that so many people used the TF2 store shows there is a market for this stuff and they would be ignoring their customers by not including it in future games. Some people like playing dress ups and will pay for the privilege. Not everything is about "you".

Corky said:
We know it was staged 8 hours ago.
There was a moment when it became obvious to even the most faithful. When Killing Floor completed and only removed 5 minutes from the timer I think.

TheExodu5

Banned
There's a market for gullible saps who fall for early release campaigns as well...it doesn't mean I have to be happy that Valve is exploiting that market.

Fredescu

TheExodu5 said:
There's a market for gullible saps who fall for early release campaigns as well...
Completely different things. The ARG was misleading and had a disappointing pay off. When you click the buy button on your pink robot tutu, you know exactly what you're getting.

Omikron

TheExodu5 said:
I wasn't expecting much from the Golden potato, but the prize ended up being pretty amazing. It just happens that they, again, handled it completely the wrong way. If they reimbursed us for Portal 2 we'd be really happy. If they gave us gifts for the Valve Complete Pack, we'd be really happy. But no. We get nothing.

You got all the in game dress up content for free as well...

Firehead said:
Damn... So, how many of us only received Condition Zero? (There was sorta a reason I didn't own it.)
I received a handful of games I didn't own, so I'm kinda happy.

Although I do wish I could gift a few of the extra shit I got. :(

TheExodu5

Banned
^I did. Nothing.

A few people appear to have gotten the Portal 2 dress up content, but it has been disappearing from their profiles.

When I said I got nothing, I actually got Counter-Strike Condition Zero...doesn't count. :p

edit: nothing in my backpack. Not even the Potato Sack skins I was promised.

I guess you could always have the 'reward' of gifting a copy of Portal 2 to poor, unfortunate Shake Appeal whose new year's resolution prohibits him from buying games...

Nabs

TheExodu5 said:
^I did. Nothing.

A few people appear to have gotten the Portal 2 dress up content, but it has been disappearing from their profiles.

When I said I got nothing, I actually got Counter-Strike Condition Zero...doesn't count. :p

edit: nothing in my backpack. Not even the Potato Sack skins I was promised.

That was meant for Omi. I got everything in my backpack the first time I checked, but then it all got taken away (as expected).

I do agree, having followed the ARG as a spectator, that the joy of having participated seems to be pretty much the real reward, because everything since Friday has been kinda hapless and stage-y on Valve's part.

About the ARG specifically? There was a news article somewhere, I forget, but that was before it started 'overclocking'.

There's a separate thread for actual reviews of the actual game.

itxaka

Defeatist
Sorry fro this, but I been out and Im not touching the portal 2 thread until I arrive home. Does Portal 2 have an in-game store as Exodu5 mentions up there? Is that for real? Do they sell skins and shit like that or maps for co-op?

Thanks in advance.

Shake Appeal said:
About the ARG specifically? There was a news article somewhere, I forget, but that was before it started 'overclocking'.

There's a separate thread for actual reviews of the actual game.
Yeah, about the ARG and how Valve handled the last phase.

itxaka said:
Sorry fro this, but I been out and Im not touching the portal 2 thread until I arrive home. Does Portal 2 have an in-game store as Exodu5 mentions up there? Is that for real? Do they sell skins and shit like that or maps for co-op?

Thanks in advance.
You can buy hats, skins and gestures. No maps.

itxaka said:

Thanks in advance.
From what I saw, yes it does. I'm assuming you can just buy hats or the equivalent for the co-op bots P-body and Atlas.

It wasn't working when I tried. Maybe it's up.

I think the overall intent of the ARG was good, but it just ended up being executed poorly, wildly varying expectations of reward, and simply dropping the ball when it came down to grinding away at GLaDOS@home.

The final reward (as it stands now) tends to be very underwhelming for the people who actually did collect all 36 potatoes - those who would be the most die-hard fans anyway, while being overly generous to others (very few of which it would seem, completed the task.)

Had I known that I could have paid ~$40 for a decent collection of indie games that with a little effort turns into Valve's entire catalogue (much of which I don't own) in addition to Portal 2, it would have been an amazing deal! The point is that you don't know anything like that would happen, but Valve tugging our emotions back and forth has just left a somewhat bitter taste right now. It was kind of an abusive relationship with the fanbase.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Chinese Electric Batman said:
Cash shop in the game too?

Guess I can forget about Valve. Pathetic.

Uh, there's one in TF2 you know. Microtransactions aren't new to Valve, however it's not as though they sell anything of consequence, which is why I don't care.

They can keep selling shitty hats or whatever as long as they keep game content free and for everyone.

JaseC said:
Uh, there's one in TF2 you know. Microtransactions aren't new to Valve, however it's not as though they sell anything of consequence, which is why I don't care.

They can keep selling shitty hats or whatever as long as they keep game content free and for everyone.

And that's where it should have stayed.

It has no place in Portal 2 at all.

JaseC

raphier said:
It should stay to TF2. Seriously if this spreads to HL3/episode Three, I will rage and call it dead bed to Valve.

It's in Portal 2 because it has an MP component and you can customise the look of your bots. What would be the point of having one in Episode Three?

Chinese Electric Batman said:
And that's where it should have stayed.

It has no place in Portal 2 at all.

It does, barely.

Why the big deal if the shop is for solely for inconsequential shit like player aesthetics? Or are we simply getting angry so when Valve begin charging for DLC we'll be ready?

itxaka

Defeatist
raphier said:
It should stay to TF2. Seriously if this spreads to HL3/episode Three, I will rage and call it dead bed to Valve.

Well as long as it doesn't affect the main game I don't think is bad. Now if they were selling maps and shit like that or preventing modders for working on it that would be different but I don't think is inherently bad as long as it's an extra option.

Now, why would you want skins and such items in a co-op game, I don't understand. It makes sense on a competitive multiplayer where everyone wants to show others that he is the best and he is unique, but on co-op? I don't get it.

JaseC

itxaka said:
Well as long as it doesn't affect the main game I don't think is bad. Now if they were selling maps and shit like that or preventing modders for working on it that would be different but I don't think is inherently bad as long as it's an extra option.

Now, why would you want skins and such items in a co-op game, I don't understand. It makes sense on a competitive multiplayer where everyone wants to show others that he is the best and he is unique, but on co-op? I don't get it.

That won't ever happen. Valve built their house from the success of mods. They wouldn't turn their back on that.

itxaka

Defeatist
JaseC said:
That won't ever happen. Valve built their house from the success of mods. They wouldn't turn their back on that.

I know, that is my whole point. They can sell virtual BJ for your robots and that is ok with me. As long as modders have the freedom to add shit to the game Im ok with them having a shop for people that want to spend money of it. Those people get in-game items, valve gets money without hindering (not sure if this is the word Im looking for) the main game with nickel and dime DLC as other companies do.

Win-win situation for all.

Zomba13

TheExodu5 said:
Anyways, I sent an email to Gabe with my thoughts on the matter. I don't expect him to read it or reply, but whatever. I tried to be as level headed as possible.
Great idea. I think I'll do the same.

shagg_187 said:
The entire ARG fell short of being awesome. Wanna know how to do ARG? This is how you do it: http://www.freerebelart.net/
Reptile is my favourite NIN song
The ilovebees arg seems to be the favourite gaming related ARG. Anyway the Portal 2 arg was great until this stupid glados@home garbage, no idea how they could mess things up so badly. Would have been better off just saying "wait until release for a suprise..." and leave it at that.

Also strange to see so many people saying, "Valve are dead to me for selling hats". Out of all this shit in this industry this is enough to stop buying games from the most giving of all developers? I don't care enough to buy a stupid hat but really people. You make gamers out to be children.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wonder what the Potato Sack Bot Skin will be.

I emailed gabe and got an automated reply, wonder if he really got the message.

I expected a lot more "OMFG thank you Valve" for the Complete Packs coming in here. I had ordered the PS3 version from Amazon so I got the two copies (no, I wasn't going to resell one), but now I can pretty much just send it back once it arrives, I've got the PC version sitting in my Steam ready to install. I guess the one bummer is that other than that, I pretty much got a few variants of the original Half-Life and that's it, I already had everything else, and it only gave me giftable copies of Half Life 2 and Ep 1. It means my extra copies of things like TF2, L4D1 and 2, Episode 2, etc just get lost to the ether.

Did people at least get duplicate copies of Portal 2 if they already had it ordered on Steam?

Top Bottom