• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
hahaha... yeah...

Dejobaan is basically the encyclopedia entry for "indie developer." Amnesia is one of the most poslished games from a non-mainstream dev I have ever seen. Killing Floor is a freaking Unreal 2004 total conversion. And the more people that get a chance to play Defense Grid, the better. Nice things can be said about every remaining game in the pack, too.

Zomba13

Twig said:
Y--

yes they are completely indie you doofus

Maybe they don't "need" the attention, but they certainly deserve it. Not even going to address the rest of your ridiculous post.
Definitely true, and the best part (imo) of the whole ARG. Even if you don't like some of the games (there is a lot of Dejobaan hate here) they all did amazing with their ARG content. The only game from the pack I haven't enjoyed playing has been cogs, and that is because I hate slidey puzzles. For some reason I thought Cogs was that physicsy game with the helicopter thingies at first so was disappointed when I played it (the aesthetics are pretty similar).

Also, needs to be said again: that Justine add-on is amazing. And the Defence Grid GLaDOS Voice acting.

Seiru

Banned
Twig said:
Huh. I only got some. No Portal 2. All the old stuff, basically. Everything Episode 1 and earlier.

THEY BETTER FIX THIS OR I'LL RRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

Same deal for me. Only giftable copies of stuff like TFC and Half Life 2. Had to restart Steam to see even that though.

EDIT: Showed up after relogging again. Thanks Valve!

epmode

Bisonian said:
Logging out of Steam and logging back in gave me a giftable copy of everything I already owned.
Same. Classy move for sure.
Seiru said:
Only giftable copies of stuff like TFC and Half Life 2.
Same thing happened to me. Had to log out and in a few times before everything showed up.

Twig

Banned
Seiru said:
Same deal for me. Only giftable copies of stuff like TFC and Half Life 2. Had to restart Steam to see even that though.
Keep doing it every few minutes. It should give you everything, eventually.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just wanted to quote a few posts (mine mainly) from the post-release, pre-reward period to underline how fucking awesome I believe this all turned out.
Zomba13 said:
I esentially wasted £27 buying Portal 2 when I would have gotten it free.

hawkian said:
I was extremely frustrated by this aspect too despite ardently defending the experience up til now.

TheExodu5 said:
Yeah I'm pretty annoyed that those who didn't pre-order got it free, and those of us who gave Valve our money got nothing.

It's a pretty strong disincentive to pre-ordering anything of theirs in the future.
Hawkian said:
I haven't agreed with much of your criticism of this event thus far, but I have to say this is a compelling point. Pre-ordering essentially got us nothing* for $44.99, not pre-ordering would have landed us a free copy of the game.

Well goddamn. I was thinking when reading those how satisfied I would be with an extra copy of Portal 2 to gift. Now I have two extra copies of Portal 2, HL2, and HL2:Ep1, and extra copies of every other Valve game I owned (which is most of them). Seriously, I can't believe how massively my expectations have been exceeded. I will be preordering every Valve game released from now on regardless of my initial level of interest in it.

Yes, I know I currently sound like I am typing while sucking Valve's dick

Cheech said:
The best ARG content was The Ball. I mean, it was basically 1/2 of Portal 1, but with all new puzzles.
And no portals!

But yeah, definitely my 2nd favorite after Justine. Incredible production values.

pix

Hawkian said:
Yeah, I have giftable copies of HL2, Ep1, and Portal 2. And Portal 1, but that was from the preorder, I realized.

Quite bizarre. I didn't notice this until playing Portal 2 a while and getting a message about the Orange Box (?)

If you want to gift your episode 1 I would love to take it off your hands :) PM if that's ok. Not begging of course.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Holy crap, every game I already had from the Valve Complete Pack are now giftables. (Except Portal 2, but I hope it follows.)

Nice, Valve, nice.

EDIT: Got Portal 2! Woo!

1-D_FTW

Ended up canceling my Amazon order. And for a whole list of logic that failed in the end, ended up not pre-ordering anywhere.

I'd be willing to trade for Portal 2 (within reason).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
pix said:
If you want to gift your episode 1 I would love to take it off your hands :) PM if that's ok. Not begging of course.

I had planned to give Ep1 to a family member, but since I ended up with two copies, and you asked so nicely, sure thing. :D

Send me a message on Steam (Hawkian).

1-D_FTW said:
Ended up canceling my Amazon order. And for a whole list of logic that failed in the end, ended up not pre-ordering anywhere.

I'd be willing to trade for Portal 2 (within reason).

Hmm I'm willing to accept interesting offers. Message me on Steam?

I'm thinking I may set up some kind of creative contest for all the stuff I've got to give away now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Luigi87 said:
Being able to gift all the Valve games I already own, including Portal 2.

This is why Valve is my favourite developer.

Yes. All glory to the Hypno Toad.

...man, this thread. 108 pages and more of an emotional rollercoaster than Requiem for a Dream.

Silex

That's a great move from Valve.
I didn't get to participate in the ARG, but if they give you all their games (including games you own as gifts), that's an awesome prize for the hard work.

Salsa

from the OT i just posted:

SalsaShark said:
Alright, second playthrough, dev commentary, i found a commentary note in one of rattman's secrete hideouts (dont know why im using the spoiler tag there) in chapter 3 that when turned, the subtitle just says [Adam Foster] and the supposedly commentary is just a number of high pitched robotic blips and other noises.

.. ARG continues or what ?

edit: nevermind, just some background on the portal 2 announcement arg

Cranzor

I've never played Half-Life 2... anybody feeling generous? :)

By the way, what were the requirements for the reward? I haven't been following this for a while.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Cranzor said:
I've never played Half-Life 2... anybody feeling generous? :)

By the way, what were the requirements for the reward? I haven't been following this for a while.

The fact that you have never played HL2 causes me physical pain. Message me on Steam (Hawkian) and it shall be yours, as long as you agree to play it to completion within 1 month! Knowing the story will make the Portal games better too!

The requirements for the golden potato: http://www.valvearg.com/wiki/Potato_Sources

jdogmoney

So, like, the games are gift-able now? Hooray!

I had the Orange Box on 360, so I've played HL2 + the episodes...but it makes me happy that there was more benefit to the folks what got the golden potato.

Now, once payday hits, I should be able to get Portal 2 myself, and then all is well.

Cranzor

Hawkian said:
The fact that you have never played HL2 causes me physical pain. Message me on Steam (Hawkian) and it shall be yours, as long as you agree to play it to completion within 1 month! Knowing the story will make the Portal games better too!

The requirements for the golden potato: http://www.valvearg.com/wiki/Potato_Sources

Wow, thanks a ton! My computer is horrible, hopefully it'll run well. I'll do my best to complete within a month :D I'll message you. Thanks again.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Cranzor said:
Wow, thanks a ton! My computer is horrible, hopefully it'll run well. I'll do my best to complete within a month :D I'll message you. Thanks again.

HL2 was released in 2004. If your computer is unable to run it, it may be time to sell some baseball cards and get a new rig for $300. ;)

Helmholtz

If someone could gift me Counter-Strike 1.6 I'd really appreciate it. I'ts one of the only Valve games I don't own, and I have very fond memories of it from when I was a kid.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hoping there are some Golden Potato holders still checking this thread.

My conversation with Cranzor while I was gifting him Half-Life 2 gave me what I think could be a really great idea.

If some more people were willing, I'd like to set up a thread where GAF members can compete in challenges to win gifted games from the Golden Potato holders. They would be along the same lines of the Potato challenges, but none would require any cheating or save files, and some would involve non-Steam game related tasks so that people with none of Steam games involved could still compete. The challenges would have to be provable by unique screenshots which would be posted in the thread.

The challenges would be created by me and other Golden Potato holders and vary in difficulty, the easiest ones (we'll call them "one star" challenges") would correspond to the cheapest games, like HL1, the expansions, Ricochet, etc. Two star would be the pricier but still old games (Half-Life 2, Portal, Left 4 Dead), three star would be the obvious newer games (L4D2, Portal 2).

Each contestant would get 3 stars, so they could go for 1 three star game, one two star and a one, or three one star games, and then not allowed to compete in any more challenges, to keep more opportunities open.

I even have an idea for an ARG element to this where I could give out little story elements of a bit of a fan fic idea I have for a Portal 2-related plot (obviously nowhere close to affecting canon, or continuity at all, just a little side-story). I'd be more than happy to put the effort into this if there were enough support for the idea.

What do you think, GAF? I think to make it worthwhile for people to participate, I'd need at least 4 other Golden Potato holders to be willing to donate some games to the cause, otherwise it'd be over too quickly. Since I made out really, really well from this whole deal, I'd be willing to donate all of the copies of games I got except for a couple I have promised to family members, including a copy of Portal 2 to start us off.

So it seems that things were fixed and people have giftable copies now. Are we going to have a specific thread for handing extra games out, keep that here, or what?

And if anyone has a spare of CS: Source, I would be forever grateful. /beg

EDIT:

Hawkian said:

My conversation with Cranzor while I was gifting him Half-Life 2 gave me what I think could be a really great idea.

If some more people were willing, I'd like to set up a thread where GAF members can compete in challenges to win gifted games from the Golden Potato holders. They would be along the same lines of the Potato challenges, but none would require any cheating or save files, and some would involve non-Steam game related tasks so that people with none of Steam games involved could still compete. The challenges would have to be provable by unique screenshots which would be posted in the thread.

The challenges would be created by me and other Golden Potato holders and vary in difficulty, the easiest ones (we'll call them "one star" challenges") would correspond to the cheapest games, like HL1, the expansions, Ricochet, etc. Two star would be the pricier but still old games (Half-Life 2, Portal, Left 4 Dead), three star would be the obvious newer games (L4D2, Portal 2).

Each contestant would get 3 stars, so they could go for 1 three star game, one two star and a one, or three one star games, and then not allowed to compete in any more challenges, to keep more opportunities open.

I even have an idea for an ARG element to this where I could give out little story elements of a bit of a fan fic idea I have for a Portal 2-related plot (obviously nowhere close to affecting canon, or continuity at all, just a little side-story). I'd be more than happy to put the effort into this if there were enough support for the idea.

What do you think, GAF? I think to make it worthwhile for people to participate, I'd need at least 4 other Golden Potato holders to be willing to donate some games to the cause, otherwise it'd be over too quickly. Since I made out really, really well from this whole deal, I'd be willing to donate all of the copies of games I got except for a couple I have promised to family members, including a copy of Portal 2 to start us off.

I like this idea as well.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hawkian said:

Anything up to and including murder seems about fine. Or bear wrestling. Or murderous bear wrestling.

Slavik81

Malio said:
Getting morons to fork out money for games they didn't want, for a questionable or non-existent reward. Brilliant marketing, Valve. Well done.

More DLC! More TF2 hats! Next, maybe they'll just give us a link and it will take $1 from your bank account with each click! Like these mini-games everyone suddenly loves! hahah
The Potato pack was awesome and their reward (especially after the update) was solid.

Anyone who bought the potato pack on the basis of getting some ill-specified reward for collecting all the potatoes got what they deserved. If they expected more, then it's too bad they were disappointed, but their expectations were unrealistic and completely ungrounded in anything Valve has ever said or done.

The only complaint I have about the entire thing is that the countdown was clearly rigged. (Well, and perhaps that progress should have been powered by achieving goals, rather than pure idling.)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
heyf00L said:
I'd actually like to check out Blue Shift or Opposing Force. Never played them.

Sounds like someone is ready to do two one-star challenges!

Seriously, I think this could be fun. Any potatoheads out there?

masterkajo

Hawkian said:

All for it! Would really love to get some of those games. Especially HL1. Bring on the challenges.

TheExodu5

Banned
I liked the idea of the challenges.

Sadly, I've given away the more tempting items (L4D2, Portal 2) to my close friends who weren't in a position to afford them, but I'll probably have some left overs to contribute.

Oreoleo

balladofwindfishes said:
Condition Zero is the only Valve Complete Pack game I don't own, so maybe the competition could be easier for those of use who only want a 5 dollar game?

Yes I like this idea very much.

But still if someone just wants to give it to me I won't say no :3

I also have a spare copy of Portal 1 lol

The gifting game idea doesn't interest me as it is just gifting games but if you and others want to do it what's the harm?

I still find this whole thing funny how people have gone from loving Valve, to hating Valve, and back to loving. Kind of sad.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yep, games like Condition Zero would be "one star" challenges, these would be really really easy. Like, requiring essentially no skill and just a little bit of time. I have a bunch of ideas for these already.

Exodu5, every little bit helps! Plenty of people want Valve games. If you're willing to donate to the cause send me a PM with what you'd be able to put up for challenges. And please ask anybody else you know with a golden potato if they'd be willing too!

I realized that, if you want to donate non-Valve games to this just for fun that would be totally fine too, why not just make it a fun way to gift games. For instance, I'll also throw in the extra Potato Sack games I got (some definite quality there). But since it will be Portal 2/Potato themed, I will probably not go through with it unless a couple more Golden Potato folk are willing to donate Valve games for this- I'd like it to last a few days, so just my games are definitely not going to make it worth the effort I'm planning to put in.

Twig

Banned
VGChampion said:
The gifting game idea doesn't interest me as it is just gifting games but if you and others want to do it what's the harm?

I still find this whole thing funny how people have gone from loving Valve, to hating Valve, and back to loving. Kind of sad.
I skipped the hating part. Am I still sad? ):

Top Bottom