• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire the Mafia |OT| A Game of Masquerade

El Topo

P8g1nF8.png

Los Angeles. City of Angels. Beyond the billboards and the glistening lights of the Sunset Strip, behind the veil of common sense lurks a world of darkness.

Once the Anarchs had driven out the elders of the Camarilla and claimed the city as a haven of the free, but those days are long gone. First the Camarilla returned, conquering in battle what they had lost. Only a few years later both sides had to unite against the Kuei-Jin, mysterious vampires from the far east, who had invaded California. For years, a battle was waged in the shadows, until a fragile peace was struck.

Now the city is once again at the brink of violence. Isaac Abrams, the well-respected Anarch Baron of Hollywood, has been murdered; decapitated in his own home. The kindred can feel that something is amiss, that there are unknown forces conspiring against them. For the first time in years the vampires of the city, no matter their alignment, have come together to discuss the events and find the culprits.

Player list:
1 [m] AbsolutBro - RIP N1
2 [m] Blargonaut - RIP D4
3 [m] Dr. Worm
4 [m] Dusk Soldier
5 [m] Fat4all
6 [m] Gorlak - RIP D1
7 [m] Hobohodo
8 [m] infinit777
9 [m] Mazre - RIP D4
10 [m] MickD - RIP D2
11 [m] batsnacks
12 [m] Satanic Saint
13 [m] squidyj - RIP N2
14 [m] StMeph
15 [f] Swamped - RIP N3
16 [m] TheWorthyEdge -> ChristinaMackenzie - RIP D3
17 [m] Timeaisis - RIP N4
18 [m] Trigger
19 [m] Ynnek7
20 [m] Zubz - RIP D4

Sample Role PM:
"Here is where you would find a quote."

You are an Ordinary <Clan Name>. <Some PMs have a one-sentence description here.>
You are aligned with town and you win, when all members of the conspiracy (i.e. Mafia) are eliminated.

<Backstory on your character. Ignore this if you like.>

<Text on why you have no power>. Therefore you do not have any power, other than your vote.

The game thread can be found here.
If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Please confirm that you received this PM and your participation via PM.

Anything in these Ordinary Role PMs is fluff, solely added for your entertainment. Do not read anything into it.

El Topo

Fundamental:
1. All site-wide rules are also applicable here. Please do not tarnish this community.
2. Unless your role PM explicitly allows you to do otherwise, discussion about this game is strictly confined to this thread.
3. Unless your role PM explicitly allows you to do otherwise, do not quote or posts screen-shots of any PMs or posts that were not made in this thread. Obviously this is a grey area, but please try and play sportingly.
4. Within reason, you are allowed to lie about any game material or game-related conversations that could conceivably have appeared outside this thread [such as the content of role PMs or private chats allowed by a role]. If unsure whether a lie is reasonable, please ask the game-runner.
5. Do not refer or discuss to player activity in other forum threads or life in general beyond the game.
6. The player list includes the preferred personal pronoun of each player. Please try to use the correct pronoun.
7. Please be nice to your fellow players. Mafia can be a tense experience, and occasionally aggressive play is useful, but remember this is game and that everyone should have fun.

Activity and Deadlines:
8. Treat this game as a commitment. Remember that other players' fun is dependent on your participation; this game only works if you remain reasonably active.
9. If you do not post in this thread at least once per Day Phase period without prior permission, you will be sent a PM requesting you respond immediately (a "prod"). If you do not respond to a prod by the end of the following Night Phase, you will be replaced.
10. If you need an extended period of absence for some other issues in life, please notify the game-runner by PM in advance. Leave of up to one Day and Night Phase (five days) is possible.
11. If you expect to be unable to post for a period of 7 days, please notify the game-runner by PM so that you can be replaced in good time - we're sad to see you go, but other players need to be able to continue to play.
12. Each Day Phase will last 4 days. Day Phases officially begin when the game-runner notifies players in the game thread, and end exactly 96 hours later (by NeoGAF post time-stamps).
13. Each Night phase will last 3 days. Night Phases officially begin when the game-runner notifies players in the game thread, and end exactly 72 hours later (by NeoGAF post time-stamps).
14. If a Phase ends and the game-runner has not received an action PM from a player with a relevant action, then that Phase will end with that that player making no action.
15. In the event of a day ending with no player having a plurality of the votes, then the game will proceed to the next night phase with nobody lynched ("no-lynch").
16. If a replacement is needed, they may PM the game-runner once to request the Night Phase in which they join is extended by up to 2 days, to allow catch-up time.
17. Game-runners may change the length of Phases at their discretion. However, they will inform players at the start of the equivalent Phase before (i.e., if Day 7 is set to be shortened, players will be no later than the start of Day 6).

Voting, Lynching, and Death:
18. For your vote to count, it must be presented in the following format: VOTE: playername, via use of the highlight tag. It must also be in an entirely separate line from any other text.
19. To remove a vote from a player, you must present in the following format: UNVOTE: playername, via use of the highlight tag. It must also be in an entirely separate line from any other text. It is not necessary to unvote before casting new vote for a different player; unvoting is simply to remove a vote without casting a new one.
20. Players may use VOTE: No Lynch to end the Day Phase without a lynch ("No Lynch"). It must also be in an entirely separate line from any other text.
21. Misspelt votes will be accepted within reason; if the game-runner is unsure they will notify you and in the meanwhile discount the vote. Votes in broken tags will not count.
22. Once someone has received a strict majority (>50%) of the available votes, the day ends with the Lynch of that player or a No Lynch (whichever applies). Once this has happened, any further votes or unvotes that Phase will not be counted, and the Night Phase will begin shortly.
23. Some roles take place between the end of the Day Phase and the start of the Night Phase, so game-runners may allow a short period of time for this "Twilight Phase". Unless your role PM explicitly allows you to do otherwise, do not post during the Twilight Phase.
24. Once you are dead, you are dead: you may no longer discuss the game in ANY manner with ANY of the remaining players. Dead players may PM the game-runner one last message for the other players (a "Will"), which the game-runner will post on their behalf in the thread. The sole condition is that it contains NO game-relevant information, e.g. "Thanks guys for an excellent game!" is allowed, "My partner was John!" is not.

The Dead Thread:
25. To allow dead players to freely discuss the game with other dead players, a secret thread will be created.
27. The Dead Thread will also be made available to non-players, provided they have played in at least one GAF mafia game before in which they did not go inactive. These non-players will also be disbarred from the replacement list.

Other:
28. Outside of votes and explicit allowances made by role PMs, the use of the highlight tag is strictly the game-runner's prerogative. Do not use it.
29. You may not put any active players in this game on your ignore list. If you have an active player on your ignore list, please remove them. Obviously this is on the honor system, but please don't do it, or joke about doing it.
30. Do not edit your posts. If you are a repeat offender, a replacement will be sought.
31. Do not use the email tags to hide extra content in your posts.
32. A list of the votes so far (a "Vote Count") can be requested by contacting any game-runner or game-tutor.
33. Game-runners reserve the right to add, remove, or modify existing any rules at any point, and enforcement may be applied retroactively. However, all players will be informed of changes, and changes will be consistent across games.
34. In general, do not try and exploit loop-holes in the rules.
35. Completed GAF games are often read by people thinking of signing up in the future. As such, please keep your avatar spoiler free - it should not allude to your role or alignment.

El Topo

Game Specific Rules:
  • Self voting is allowed.
  • Vote counts will be handled by Royal_Flush's voting tool, the link to which can be found here: here. (Note: Ctrl+R clears cache, in the case it seems the tool does not count newest votes)
  • Night actions are due to me 3 hours before the day starts. If I do not receive a PM, it will be assumed that you choose not to use your ability.
  • Do not post after the day has ended.
  • Have fun. No, this is not optional.
  • UPDATE: Twilight avatar? You better not.

General Information:
  • This game is loosely based on the cult classic Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. All roles other than Ordinary roles are based on characters in that game.
  • Due to the nature of this mafia game, the video game may be spoilered, at least in part, due to Role PMs.
  • If you are not acquainted with the game, more information on the game and the characters can be found at these sites:
    Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines Wiki
    General White Wolf Wiki
  • While flavor was very important to me in the creation of this game, the fun comes first.
  • If you have any question, if anything is unclear, please do not hesitate to contact me here, at Outer Gafia or on Discord.

Day Starts/Ends:

Day 1 Start
Day 1 End
Day 2 Start
Day 2 End
Day 3 Start
Day 3 End
Day 4 Start
Day 4 End
Day 5 Start
Day 5 End P1 P2 P3 P4

The Game has ended.

Zubz

Banned
2 days is enough time to start/beat the video game, right? Only played the LARP myself (Nosferatus are so much fun to play as!), so I apologize if I get something messed up about any character that isn't also Caine.

EDIT: Oh! Also as a warning, I work long days on Thursdays; I'll still be active, but I apologize in advance if I don't post until late

El Topo

Well, the world record is an hour. I think two days is tough. I assume you might need something like 30 hours.
I would like to reiterate that playing the game is not required. While it is helpful, a lot of information can be found at the VtM:B Wiki.

Zubz

Banned
Well, the world record is an hour. I think two days is tough. I assume you might need something like 30 hours.
I would like to reiterate that playing the game is not required. While it is helpful, a lot of information can be found at the VtM:B Wiki.

Of course! I just know this is a Cosplay game and some people might get into character.

Zubz

Banned
Oh yeah... The dreaded "No Edit" policy. Being able to edit in other threads just feels wrong while the game's going... Yet it feels like a relief after you're out.

Ty4on

Oh yeah... The dreaded "No Edit" policy. Being able to edit in other threads just feels wrong while the game's going... Yet it feels like a relief after you're out.
Embrace how liberating double, triple, quadruple posting is.

good luck everyone, i look forward to playing this... Though i have no experience with Vampire: the Masquerade.

Should i watch a lets play beforehand or something?

Gorlak

Banned
Anyone got some love for ghouls?

Woops, that's the wrong kind.

I was talking about the lovely always supporting ghouls, always doing everything in their power for you? Obviously Heather is fabulous. She just can't get enough of you! Love Heather <3

Devoting her whole life to you. Even giving you the [minor spoiler about loot]
best armor in the game
How can you not appreciate her?

Alright, alright, alright. I'm downloading VtmB again. #Replay
Despite loving the game I have never finished it. Something else always comes out, I forget where I was in the game, and then start from the beginning.

People say you shouldn't play Malkavian the first time, those people are fools. Malkavian for unlife!

Swamped

Banned
Devoting her whole life to you. Even giving you the [minor spoiler about loot]
best armor in the game

How can you not appreciate her?

Oooops, guess i shouldn't have dismissed her!

This game is such a gem. Really enjoying it so far (just got to Hollywood). All the posters everywhere remind me of the music i used to listen to in middle school, i was especially surprised to see Collide posters in Downtown! And then i was listening to the soundtrack while working and Swamped by Lacuna Coil is apparently the ending credit song. That's the song that inspired my username lol.

And then i was listening to the soundtrack while working and Swamped by Lacuna Coil is apparently the ending credit song. That's the song that inspired my username lol.
Swamped confirmed for great music taste. Heavens a Lie was "my jam", as the kids these days say. Do they still say that?

Zubz

Banned
It is never too late to change your avatar, Zubz.

I know, but I don't know how to make one and it was already really nice of the Forum Avatar Request Crew to make me this Orlok one.

Also, I really, really love Clan Nosferatu, you guys. Has no bearing on this game, but I love those rat drinkers.

batsnacks

... Is there any pop star associated with vampires? The only one I can think of is Count Snoopula.

EDIT: I now somewhat regret making Count Orlok my avatar for this game.

Bela Lugosi, Wesley Snipes, uhhh.... Tom Cruise was in that Anne Rice movie lol

Top Bottom