• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 - Extended Gameplay Trailer

but can I identify as a non-binary apache helicopter omni-sexual wearing a fur suit?

/s

I'm hesitant until I see more. It's going to take a lot to get me interested in this game because of the SJW crap this dev has been pulling.

Shin

Banned
Screams woke and safe to me. Where's the sexiness?
Good then I'm not the only one, I came here expecting:

f992be67fe.jpg

RedVIper

Banned
Gameplay isn't what made the first one good, so as long as it's passable here it shouldn't matter.

I'm afraid they'll fuck up the rest though.

Ol'Scratch

This game hurts me to the core. When I heard the whispers a while back I wanted to believe but I knew that in this wonderful age that we live in that the odds were slim that this might escape the "progressive" taint. Sadly everything I have seen leads me to have to accept that instead of escaping it, it went elbow deep.

20cent

Banned
The city looks as empty, limited and generic as it was in the previous game... but maybe that's not what's important.

but can I identify as a non-binary apache helicopter omni-sexual wearing a fur suit?

/s

I'm hesitant until I see more. It's going to take a lot to get me interested in this game because of the SJW crap this dev has been pulling.

Serious? Fuck. I'm out.

Any specifics on the SJW crap? Woke writers can ruin anything.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Serious? Fuck. I'm out.

Any specifics on the SJW crap? Woke writers can ruin anything.

A former RockPaperShotgun writer, Cara Ellison, is on board. They're trying to "broaden Bloodlines 2 from the more masculine power fantasy of the original."

“’I often look at like, how would someone feel sexy in this situation?’ she explained, and said that there are definitely characters in there that will be shipped like mad. ‘Everyone in the studio is like ‘Yeah I would definitely go for that one. He’s my bae,’ kind of stuff. They’re often very unusual choices.’

“She also said that they’re trying to broaden Bloodlines 2 from the more masculine power fantasy of the original, so that it appeals to way more people this time.”

They also talk about it being inherently political.

Well... I guess I'll wait to see more.

Hype significantly deflated.

Why don't they know who ACTUALLY buys their games? I'm sure there will be women who will play and gay and trans people too. But they can't possibly make up anymore than 1%.

As diverse as they may want things to be, 99% of their customers will be straight MEN. This is who they need to cater to, but plenty of companies forgetting that these days.

Ol'Scratch

Well... I guess I'll wait to see more.

Hype significantly deflated.

Why don't they know who ACTUALLY buys their games? I'm sure there will be women who will play and gay and trans people too. But they can't possibly make up anymore than 1%.

As diverse as they may want things to be, 99% of their customers will be straight MEN. This is who they need to cater to, but plenty of companies forgetting that these days.
The first game, broken and janky as it may be was considered a classic and an amazing game by countless people. So something had to be right. So of course fucking Peggy Progressive and the Inclusion crew have to come in and fuck up everything believing that they can do better.

Helios

Man, I don't really like what I'm seeing. A lot of the original vibe is taken out and there's not that much gameplay in this gameplay trailer. A bit unrelated but I also expected the Nosferatu to look uglier.
A former RockPaperShotgun writer, Cara Ellison, is on board. They're trying to "broaden Bloodlines 2 from the more masculine power fantasy of the original."

They also talk about it being inherently political.
This also doesn't inspire me any confidence.

Makariel

The World of Darkness P&P and LARP were always having pretty much 50% female players. Back in the 90ies and early 00s if you played P&P RPG and wanted to meet women, you needed to pick up Vampire the Masquerade. If you are super sensitive to "wokeness" stay clear of WoD, you might get a rash reading some of the old RPG sourcebooks. Yes they were edgy and sexy, but they were also some of the first P&P RPG books with a diverse representation of heroes and villains, including all races and genders (albeit sticking more to the Christian mythos with Cain in terms of religion). WoD was "woke" long before that was a thing.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Surprised that Vampire chick showed off her stomach.

The first Vampire game was kind of political within itself with the whole power balance between the groups. I don't wanna see Vampire's wearing Resist t-shirts though.

Makariel

The first Vampire game was kind of political within itself with the whole power balance between the groups. I don't wanna see Vampire's wearing Resist t-shirts though.
I guess you aren't a fan of Clan Brujah then? I mean, their Clan symbol is the upside down anarchy sign:

brujah.jpg

This reveal just screams "wait for people to start playing it, and then wait for the meta critic/steam review bombs" to really see how far on the woke meter these clowns pushed it. Reviewers can't be trusted, definitely not with this game.

Helios

Depends how they write it.
All of the factions in VtMB1 were pricks in their own way, including the Anarchs. The game leaned more heavily on the fact that LaCroix was a manipulative bitch, but he was not necessarily representative of the whole Camarilla.
It also had real-life political commentary but it was done in a very satirical way.
ynhc37m3uun21.jpg

More importantly, if they ever go with this route in the new game, I hope they remember that power struggles was not the only focus of the game. It had unique side-stories that had nothing to do with the main story and quirky things like this that today are maybe viewed as edgy, but fit into the world while also providing some comic relief.
wAyZXcG.jpg

I trust Avellone, especially considering his recent statements echo exactly what VtMB1 was all about, but I definitely don't want any of what the other chick is selling.

Last edited:

BunzLee

Well, there goes my hope for a decent game. I'll wait and see, as we can never really know until it's out. There's just something about the trailer that didn't inspire a lot of confidence.

RedVIper

Banned
The World of Darkness P&P and LARP were always having pretty much 50% female players. Back in the 90ies and early 00s if you played P&P RPG and wanted to meet women, you needed to pick up Vampire the Masquerade. If you are super sensitive to "wokeness" stay clear of WoD, you might get a rash reading some of the old RPG sourcebooks. Yes they were edgy and sexy, but they were also some of the first P&P RPG books with a diverse representation of heroes and villains, including all races and genders (albeit sticking more to the Christian mythos with Cain in terms of religion). WoD was "woke" long before that was a thing.

I don't think peoples problem is with the games diversity. It's exactly that it seems to have lost that sexiness and edge that the first had.

Last edited:

Makariel

I don't think peoples problem is with the games diversity.
Is that so? Not sure if we are reading in the same thread then? Hmmm...
[...] So of course fucking Peggy Progressive and the Inclusion crew have to come in and fuck up everything believing that they can do better.

mcz117chief

I currently run 5e DnD and all my players are women ranging from 28 to 58. I always found it interesting that DnD is considered a man's club when I met a ton of women playing it. Maybe WoD has even more.

Last edited:

Honey Bunny

I felt like sex appeal/ male power fantasy was responsible for 90% of the original's popularity. Its sort of like releasing an RE remake without all the stupid horror stuff. Let's hope they were just playing lip service to game journos.

GrayChild

I can't wait to play as white heterosexual conservative Christian Trump-voting male vampire.

Last edited:
I can't wait to play as white heterosexual conservative Christian Trump-voting male vampire.
I think you've missed the point of the complaints. The developers are doing the whole forced diversity and inclusiveness for woke points thing is what has people up in arms. No one cares about races or sexuality as far as I am aware. It's just that we all play games to escape the real world political drudge we have to deal with every day only for the alt-left to shove it into our faces more. It's the agenda pushing crap the devs are trying to market as a selling point. Why can't something just be a happy surprise? Seriously, I probably would not have cared if they inserted some retarded gender spectrum so you can roleplay your apache helicopter power fantasy if they had not made a big deal about it. I would have probably been "Oh, that's weird. Do any of these made up genders affect any of the gameplay? No? I'll choose something random then."

But no. That's not how it worked out - devs came out pushing an agenda and that is what people are up in arms about.

GrayChild

I think you've missed the point of the complaints. The developers are doing the whole forced diversity and inclusiveness for woke points thing is what has people up in arms. No one cares about races or sexuality as far as I am aware. It's just that we all play games to escape the real world political drudge we have to deal with every day only for the alt-left to shove it into our faces more. It's the agenda pushing crap the devs are trying to market as a selling point. Why can't something just be a happy surprise? Seriously, I probably would not have cared if they inserted some retarded gender spectrum so you can roleplay your apache helicopter power fantasy if they had not made a big deal about it. I would have probably been "Oh, that's weird. Do any of these made up genders affect any of the gameplay? No? I'll choose something random then."

But no. That's not how it worked out - devs came out pushing an agenda and that is what people are up in arms about.

I'm perfectly aware of that, this was just a lame attempt at making a joke about the whole thing.

Right now I'm on the verge of just accepting that this is where the whole industry is heading and start paying more attention to older games which haven't been plagued with such pandering and virtue-signalling.

But yeah, the introducing of gender pronouns before we see even a second of in-game footage was already a huge red flag. We'll know more once the game gets released, but I'm almost completely sure that Bloodlines 2 will lose some of the edgy humor the series was so well known for just for the sake of pleasing even the most vocal professional victims.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I wouldn’t touch this game with your dick until I see impressions stating it’s not virtue-signalling trash. Just being honest. I put my money where my mouth is. Not confident so far.

I'm perfectly aware of that, this was just a lame attempt at making a joke about the whole thing.

Right now I'm on the verge of just accepting that this is where the whole industry is heading and start paying more attention to older games which haven't been plagued with such pandering and virtue-signalling.

But yeah, the introducing of gender pronouns before we see even a second of in-game footage was already a huge red flag. We'll know more once the game gets released, but I'm almost completely sure that Bloodlines 2 will lose some of the edgy humor the series was so well known for just for the sake of pleasing even the most vocal professional victims.

Oh, big whoosh then on my part, I guess.

To be absolutely honest with you though (and slightly off topic) I am pretty happy with this new trend of remastering old games. Let me put on the tinfoil hat for a moment and speculate something. I think it's possible the companies have recognized the agenda pushing is cutting into their profits and that they're trying to curb that by re-releasing old games and push the cloud gaming which will ultimately remove your ability of choosing what to play.

RedVIper

Banned
Is that so? Not sure if we are reading in the same thread then? Hmmm...

Neither of those is referencing the game?

The first is complaining about the dev team that decided to change certain aspects of the game.

The second is commenting about the market that buys their game, he's probably wrong about 99% being straight men, but the majority of people who played the first certainly belong in that demographic.

Last edited:

FireFly

Screams woke and safe to me. Where's the sexiness? The edginess? I feel like someone has my balls in a vice watching this trailer.

I think you've missed the point of the complaints. The developers are doing the whole forced diversity and inclusiveness for woke points thing is what has people up in arms. No one cares about races or sexuality as far as I am aware. It's just that we all play games to escape the real world political drudge we have to deal with every day only for the alt-left to shove it into our faces more. It's the agenda pushing crap the devs are trying to market as a selling point. Why can't something just be a happy surprise? Seriously, I probably would not have cared if they inserted some retarded gender spectrum so you can roleplay your apache helicopter power fantasy if they had not made a big deal about it.
I don't think they did make a big deal about it. It was mentioned in the context of the character creator as one of the aspects you could change, along with your appearance and profession. As far as I can tell it hasn't been discussed since. It isn't mentioned on the Bloodlines 2 website, and wasn't talked about in the live streams for each clan, where they focussed on your characters' choice of past profession and the ability to roleplay as a barista! Nobody accuses the developers of forcing the "barista agenda" down our throats, no matter how many time they mention it, because this doesn't make anyone feel threatened. But they only need to mention the ability to choose your gender pronoun once, and we won't stop talking about it.

As far as the overall messaging for the game goes,. the theme seems to be that you have to choose what kind of monster you want to be. That is, you have to relinquish some element of your humanity, and must decide what to hold on to and what to let go of. The released videos suggest if you want to let go of empathy or connection with other beings, and become an inhuman psychopath, you can do. To me covering someone with lighter fluid and burning them alive, doesn't scream "safe and sensitized".

FireFly

The combat looks pretty janky, but it was nice to see plenty of dialogue options and the possibility of getting less than optimal quest outcomes if you don't pay attention.

Though, the dialogue doesn't seem to be as funny this time.

Last edited:

Helios

Some thoughts:
I much preferred the previous game's bus station maps rather than this skyrim compass. It may be needed if the cities are bigger but it's a shame they couldn't keep that in.
Those facial animations are a downgrade from the previous game.
I like the verticality of the levels. Could make playing a stealth build really interesting if done well.
The combat seems janky, but the guy playing is also trash.
Is that the same voice-actor for the news reporter?

Last edited:

Ivory Blood

Yeah I think they nailed the atmosphere of the environments. But everything else is very meh :/

Really need to work on their animations and the dialogue is some fanfiction tier quality. Plus Mitsoda is still horrible as a voice actor.

Of course I have it pre-ordered and will play it first thing, but I hope it will get substantially better closer to release.

The developer's history really worried me but I have to admit it looks way better than I thought it would. But then again my expectations were rock-bottom lol

Ivory Blood

Why do they keep showing that horrible gameplay. This game needs to be delayed, please. It's bloodlines, it can't shit on it's own legacy :messenger_unamused:

Makariel

Why do they keep showing that horrible gameplay. This game needs to be delayed, please. It's bloodlines, it can't shit on it's own legacy :messenger_unamused:
Bloodlines was a buggy mess when it came out and was unplayable in places. Thanks to fan patches it actually was halfway "complete" years later, so kicking it out of the door early is in line with the series :messenger_winking:

Top Bottom