• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines 2 officially announced

Sorne

How come I've never heard of this game? Especially with all the praise you people are giving it. Fill me in!

mcz117chief

How come I've never heard of this game? Especially with all the praise you people are giving it. Fill me in!
Superbly written RPG with great music, characters and uniquely funny and janky combat. Extremely diverse cast of characters with amazing character creation options that fundamentally change the way you interact with the game and I don't mean that as an exaggeration. Each clan has dramatic differences that change the core gameplay in a meaningful way and thus make the game extremely replayable.

Shin

Banned
Watch the PS4 version be cut to shit.....lol

5ae5f024e3.jpg

Dunki

White Wold games have always been political. Anyone complaining about the political SJW stuff in Bloodlines 2 haven't played their other games.
Politics are fine the way to integrate is key here. Normally Avelone does this pretty well. But then again I fear because of Cara but we will see.

Also it should never be painted as black and white.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I liked Redemption and Bloodlines. Why Bloodlines 2, though, instead of a new subtitle?

Are they going to use the newer sourcebooks? I believe Gehenna occurred and all the ancient vampires woke up, but then they sort of narrowed everything back to a few central clans because it was getting too complicated.

I liked Redemption and Bloodlines. Why Bloodlines 2, though, instead of a new subtitle?

Are they going to use the newer sourcebooks? I believe Gehenna occurred and all the ancient vampires woke up, but then they sort of narrowed everything back to a few central clans because it was getting too complicated.

That's the question I was asking.

makaveli60

Looking forward to this, but I really hope it won't be full of SJW bullshit. A bit off-topic, but unfortunately I haven't played the previous games, although I always wanted to try Bloodlines. Are they PC only, no other way to play it? Do I need to play the original game (released around 2000) to understand the story? Is it worth it anyway? Or Bloodlines is enough?

Teslerum

Looking forward to this, but I really hope it won't be full of SJW bullshit. A bit off-topic, but unfortunately I haven't played the previous games, although I always wanted to try Bloodlines. Are they PC only, no other way to play it? Do I need to play the original game (released around 2000) to understand the story? Is it worth it anyway? Or Bloodlines is enough?

Bloodlines + Unofficial Patch is worth it at any time. Replayed it last month.

And yes PC only. But at rhis point any potato pc is enough.

Last edited:

As far as I know there's no connection between Bloodlines and the 2000 game (I've never played the 2000 game), Bloodlines should be enough.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Please don't fuck this up. Please don't fuck this up. Please don't fuck this up with hamfisted politics.

Doczu

She also said that they’re trying to broaden Bloodlines 2 from the more masculine power fantasy of the original, so that it appeals to way more people this time.

No god, please no. There was no toxic masculinity in the first one. Don't start swinging shit Ellison...

Papa

Banned
White Wold games have always been political. Anyone complaining about the political SJW stuff in Bloodlines 2 haven't played their other games.

Well you should be banned or at least warned, "get fucked, cunt" is a personal attack which I would assume is against this sites TOS,

Don’t you have an election to be meddling in?

Interesting that you cry about what I said being a personal attack yet say nothing about the post it was in response to. Hilarious. Go back to your echo chamber.

IBfsDG1_d.jpg

Last edited:

Hudo

I don't know if anyone from the old Troika has ended up to what ever team under Paradox is working on this, but two out of the three Troika founders (Cain and Boyarsky) are at Obsidian and the third one (Anderson) is at Turtle Rock.

I'm not going to pre-order because that's a very silly thing to do, but you can bet your butt I'm going to get the GOG version as long they don't end up screwing this thing up.
Almost none outside Mitsoda. The lead designer was on Aliens at Obsidian for random trivia but thats about it.
Well, Chris Avellone is working on it!

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Please don't fuck this up. Please don't fuck this up. Please don't fuck this up with hamfisted politics.

She also said that they’re trying to broaden Bloodlines 2 from the more masculine power fantasy of the original, so that it appeals to way more people this time.
No god, please no. There was no toxic masculinity in the first one. Don't start swinging shit Ellison...
RG0BS1U.gif

And like that

giphy.gif

It’s gone.

fantomena

Don’t you have an election to be meddling in?

Interesting that you cry about what I said being a personal attack yet say nothing about the post it was in response to. Hilarious. Go back to your echo chamber.

IBfsDG1_d.jpg

I find it funny you take that up again when I explicitly said what that was about.

Also, don't know what considering helping people finding their voting stations during the primaries has to do with personal attacks here.

Last edited:

GrayChild

Gold Member
Some new details from a German preview (taken from GOG's forums):

https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-2-release-story-gameplay,3342009.html

Key Facts about Bloodlines 2

Genre: Singleplayer RPG
Release: 1st quarter 2020, date shifts not excluded;
Currently, Bloodlines 2 is in pre-alpha.

Scope: Paradox speaks of 25 to 30 hours of playtime for the first run as a "reasonable completionist" who plays through the story and explores most corners of the game world, but does not turn over every single pebble.

Replayability: Paradox promises a high incentive for a second pass, because every decision, ability, and character value shall have consequences:
On available dialogue options, on possible scenes we can enter, and on the way NPCs deal with our character.

Technique: Vampires: Bloodlines 2 is based on the Unreal Engine 4 and does not look spectacular, but already pretty gloomy.

Modding: Bloodlines 2 will provide mod support, Paradox will offer directly to the release modding tools. "We want players to keep working on this great world," says Florian Schwarzer.

Ego Perspective: We play Bloodlines 2 exclusively in the first person view. The game will only switch into third-person-perspective, if we trigger in melee a special maneuver à la Roundhouse kick. Or, if we climb up somewhere.

More verticality: Speaking of climbing, this is now becoming more important: we walk up walls and pull ourselves up on protrusions and roof edges. "A vampire is a supernatural predator," says Florian Schwarzer, "an open window on the second floor is an invitation for him." This is also how we should move through the game world, roofs and courtyards become much more important.

Weapons: As in the predecessor, there is a smorgasbord of guns and firearms, which are now wearing out: At some point, every club and every gun breaks apart. The official rationale is that as a vampire we are just too strong for mortal weapons. Let's see how much that sucks later.

Last edited:

Steez

Sadly Chris Avellone working on it does not mean much anymore. Chris is working on everything.

Yep, I love his earlier work to death, but dude kinda reduced himself to nothing more than a kickstart stretch goal. He's involved in a bazillion of games, but hasn't left his mark on none.

https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-2-release-story-gameplay,3342009.html

Scope: Paradox speaks of 25 to 30 hours of playtime for the first run as a "reasonable completionist" who plays through the story and explores most corners of the game world, but does not turn over every single pebble.

Replayability: Paradox promises a high incentive for a second pass, because every decision, ability, and character value shall have consequences:
On available dialogue options, on possible scenes we can enter, and on the way NPCs deal with our character.

Technique: Vampires: Bloodlines 2 is based on the Unreal Engine 4 and does not look spectacular, but already pretty gloomy.

Modding: Bloodlines 2 will provide mod support, Paradox will offer directly to the release modding tools. "We want players to keep working on this great world," says Florian Schwarzer.

Ego Perspective: We play Bloodlines 2 exclusively in the first person view. The game will only switch into third-person-perspective, if we trigger in melee a special maneuver à la Roundhouse kick. Or, if we climb up somewhere.

More verticality: Speaking of climbing, this is now becoming more important: we walk up walls and pull ourselves up on protrusions and roof edges. "A vampire is a supernatural predator," says Florian Schwarzer, "an open window on the second floor is an invitation for him." This is also how we should move through the game world, roofs and courtyards become much more important.

Weapons: As in the predecessor, there is a smorgasbord of guns and firearms, which are now wearing out: At some point, every club and every gun breaks apart. The official rationale is that as a vampire we are just too strong for mortal weapons. Let's see how much that sucks later.

I’m fully expecting delays. I expect delays pretty much every game I am excited for gets announced

I actually prefer the New World of Darkness campaign setting. The old WoD had too much power-creep as the later games were introduced, especially Demon: The Fallen. For funzies I made up a brand new Namaru fallen, and utterly wiped the floor with my friend's Gangrel vampire that he'd been playing for over 3 years in an out-of-game fight. That shouldn't happen.

mreihms

Neo Member
I don't understand why people are up in arms about the game letting you choose your own pronouns. It doesn't really hurt anyone to be inclusive and it's not inherently offensive to include the option.
I also think its strange for people to be so quick to pre-order the game, buying the special editions when gameplay hasn't been shown to the public. I understand people are excited because the first one was pretty dope but I feel that the general consensus with most games at this point has been don't pre order them as the final product may turn out different than what is advertised. After Fallout 76 and Anthem, you'd think people wouldn't be so quick to thrown down their money.
I'm not out to cause discourse but I do feel like its important for everyone not to be so hostile.

Paracelsus

I don't understand why people are up in arms about the game letting you choose your own pronouns. It doesn't really hurt anyone to be inclusive and it's not inherently offensive to include the option.
I also think its strange for people to be so quick to pre-order the game, buying the special editions when gameplay hasn't been shown to the public. I understand people are excited because the first one was pretty dope but I feel that the general consensus with most games at this point has been don't pre order them as the final product may turn out different than what is advertised. After Fallout 76 and Anthem, you'd think people wouldn't be so quick to thrown down their money.
I'm not out to cause discourse but I do feel like its important for everyone not to be so hostile.

If they're so petty to include pronouns, you can safely assume the liberal agenda will seep through the writing as well.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

On the surface it's fine, I don't necessarily have an issue with being able to choose he/she and have that be different to the outward appearance of the character. If it makes some people happy, no biggie. The problem is a bit more subtle than that. Combine that with Cara Ellison (ex-RockPaperShotgun) and you end up with a real possibility that the game will be exceedingly 'woke'. Woke tends to mean bland characters because people can't have flaws if they're in the protected groups. Woke ruins writing through its desire to remove all possible offence, all possible emotion, from a piece of art. It takes us from Star Wars Princess Leia the flawed spoilt princess who still nevertheless managed to kick some ass, or the amazing interesting, dangerous, Kreia from KOTOR 2, to the dishwater-dull perfect mary sue Rey with no emotional journey in TLJ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woke tends to mean bland characters because people can't have flaws if they're in the protected groups. Woke ruins writing through its desire to remove all possible offence, all possible emotion, from a piece of art.
I keep saying Woke is an ideological Mary Sue. It's an author insert that gets to out emote Bones, out think Spock, and bang Captain Kirk because the author is more interested in living out a selfish fantasy in someone else's world than practicing actual writing. It's bad fan fiction by people who want to feel loved, admired, and powerful at the cost of destroying whatever they are working in, all without actually having any skill or talent, or even trying to put the effort in to create something worth someone else's effort to read it.

Bad fan fiction has been a trope as old as time, but for some reason, we have bad fan fiction groupies that actually look forward to it.

Can someone enlighten me about American focus on blending games with political views in last few years? Why can't we simply have fun instead of having conflicts and hate towards different grouppings? Jpn games are much more relaxed in this regard and don't make portions of consumers feel alienated.

This is exciting but also suspect that preorders and DLC were announced an entire year from release with no gameplay.

This game apparently started development in 2017 from relative no names. Building their first AAA modern immersive sim, completed and released in less than 3 years??...

Release announcement and ARG seemed designed to drum up hype, community support and preorders. I wouldn't be surprised if they did this to get more capital investment from the publisher. Announcing at GDC they can get some resumes to fill out their ranks while they're at it.

My guess is this will be a late 2020 early 2021 release at best.

FireFly

If they're so petty to include pronouns, you can safely assume the liberal agenda will seep through the writing as well.
Surely being able to pick what your character represents is an integral part of any RPG? I mean in the original you could also pick your gender, so as far as I can tell the difference is the model and gender are independent?

And I think what matters is not the political viewpoint of the writer per se, but the ability to tell complex, nuanced stories. Even if you are writing for a particular audience, the whole point is to *challenge* that audience, and force them to make difficult decisions. Like in the Witcher games there are no simple conclusions, even though a wide variety of political viewpoints are shown.

If the characters presented are not complex and believable then it's just bad writing.

GreenAlien

I recently replayed the original Witcher on PC -- better or worse than that?
It's worse. Clunky and hard to aim. I finished the witcher and got used to the combat/movement there, but I couldn't do Bloodlines (tried it for a few hours like 3 years ago).

Last edited:

Ivory Blood

The only thing I kinda don't like is breakable weapons. Ok with swords and clubs I understand, they can break. But guns? Does our character grip them extra hard with some Potence applied, or hit everyone on the head with the butt of a rifle?)

Edit - quoted the wrong person.

Last edited:
Top Bottom