• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanity Fair re-murders John Lennon

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
blame space said:
also it's horseshit masturbation in the form of several paragraphs

I don't see how it is, but you are certainly able to say what you will. It looks like a fan of Lennon's work wanted to share what life would have been like for the man if he had survived in his eyes. It obviously isn't something you'd enjoy thinking about or "letting him be", but it certainly humanized Lennon in my eyes.

I'm not the biggest fan of his work to be honest, but after reading this piece it was interesting no matter how inane you view it to be to see someone create a future for a man without one.

Calcaneus

wenis said:
you should write your own. this was just this writers interpretation of a guy surviving being shot and his life afterwards. There's still that old "hippie" spark that he was known for, but it's there's also a bit of cynicism in the writing that may be the writers way of saying "John still can't find reasoning behind why he was shot so he tried healing in his own way and that soured his life".
If I did, it would probably be totally sweet and not total doo doo like this.

I thought it was okay for what it was going for, just wish it went a little more out there.

Strike

nzf1qa.gif

Aristotlekh said:
I don't give a shit about John Lennon so I don't find it offensive, but it's dumb, vapid writing, the dumbest sort of speculative fiction.

Also it does nothing but further mythologize Lennon. Mythologizing musicians is a huge pet peeve of mine.
Ironicaly it was also a big pet peeve of Lennon's.

"The Beatles were just a couple of guys who got big, had some hits, and that was it."

Trurl

Banned
I have to admit, I've wondered what John Lennon's post 9/11 song would have been. I'm sure he could have done something better than Paul McCartney's "Freedom."

Aesius

Pretty stupid.

I've read some "what-if" scenarios about Lennon before, but the authors usually had enough common sense/tact to end the timeline before 1990 or so. How the fuck can you even begin to speculate how the man would have lived out 30 years of his life?

That said, the article is horribly depressing because if there's any celebrity from the 20th century whom I wish was still with us, it's John Lennon. I got drunk at a party once and had an hour long discussion with some random guy about what would have happened if Lennon had never reconciled with Ono after his fling with May Pang. Conclusion? Lennon would still be alive, we'd have a shit load of great music and George Harrison would not have died of cancer (Lennon would have convinced him to stop smoking). I was almost in tears by the end.

I hate Mark David Chapman.

CFMOORE!

i liked the article. i don't think it's tasteless or anything like that. as for what i expected based on the thread title, i thought it was going to be be a tasteless photo shoot re-creating the murder, that would have been a much different story had they done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom