• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanquish (PC) |OT| Steam Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Knees

Aretak

Make sure you're using FXAA instead of "Edge AA."

I'm assuming the latter is MSAA, which would be more performance intensive, though I could be wrong.
Edge AA is an ultra-cheap edge blurring solution, so it shouldn't have any noticable performance impact (even less than FXAA in fact). Vanquish uses a deferred renderer, which is why MSAA is missing entirely.

Oreoleo

Craaaaap. Not what I wanted to hear. I have zero idea what it could be either.
If you have an integrated GPU in your mobo (Intel series xxxx) it might be defaulting to that instead of your 660.

Edit: Your i7 has an intel GPU this very likely could be the culprit.

It was mentioned earlier that certain in-engine sequences where the game takes the camera controls away from you to show you a certain scene happen quicker on higher framerates and I can confirm that.

I made a comparison gif showing the camera movement between the game running on 30 vs running on 60 fps:

td1Welq.gif

Notice how the camera pan is performed quicker at 60 fps, thus finishing the camera pan before it's supposed to. While the actual action it shows (the door opening) happens at the same speed at both framerates. It seems that the marines in that particular situation start moving sooner when the game runs at higher framerate.
The game is v-synced in both cases. I locked the framerate of the game using Riva Tuner Statistics Server to 30 & 60 fps respectively.

That coupled with the increased damage during higher framerates it seems the game does tie certain things to framerate and still need to be adressed.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is there something wrong with my PC? I feel like I should be able to run this ok, but even on low settings and Vsync off I'm getting sub-30fps.

uIY5jKM.png

Don't know much about hardware tbh and we mostly just use this PC for my wife's work. Will probably replace it in the next year or two since it's from like 2012 or 13. Still, this was a 360 game.

Are you sure the game isn't using the Intel Card by mistake?

Zomba13

It was mentioned earlier that certain in-engine sequences where the game takes the camera controls away from you to show you a certain scene happen quicker on higher framerates and I can confirm that.

I made a comparison gif showing the camera movement between the game running on 30 vs running on 60 fps:

td1Welq.gif

Notice how the camera pan is performed quicker at 60 fps, thus finishing the camera pan before it's supposed to. While the actual action it shows (the door opening) happens at the same speed at both framerates. It seems that the marines in that particular situation start moving sooner when the game runs at higher framerate.
The game is v-synced in both cases. I locked the framerate of the game using Riva Tuner Statistics Server to 30 & 60 fps respectively.

That coupled with the increased damage during higher framerates it seems the game does tie certain things to framerate and still need to be adressed.

I'm gonna not play it until a patch (or a fan fix) is released. I've played like one and a half hours and while everything else is great, I didn't ask for this punishing difficulty hike.

At the very least I'm very happy and surprised with the FoV stuff and aspect ratio stuff especially as when I booted it I was greeted with black bars. Not gonna refund and I eagerly await a patch.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Ugh, I forgot about this and missed the preorder. Welp, gonna wait for the next sale to buy this and Bayonetta, but they're at the top of my wishlist.

mcmmaster

Is it wrong that i'm actually enjoying the difficulty spike from the framerate issue?

Playing on Hard and I am dying here and there, i've got to Act 3 and none of the deaths have felt cheap or annoying in anyway, it does feel like i'm facing a brick wall during certain encounters but it's still been fun and rewarding to overcome.

jackal27

Banned
Oh sorry, I should have clarified. I already did this. My two options in the Nvidia Control Panel are "High-performance NVIDIA Processor" or "Integrated graphics". The global default is the NVIDIA Processor, but that hasn't changed anything. I even tried switching them then switching back and restarting my PC. Nothing. Sucks.

EDIT: Well, looks like I'm getting the exact same results whether I tell my PC to run the game with integrated or Nvidia. So I guess that means my computer is just forcing me to run with the integrated graphics card no matter what for some reason?? Crazy.

Melchior

First time playing this one. I didn't really enjoy it to be completely honest. The limits placed on your suit really stopped me from fully enjoying the game. I felt like I would slide around for a 5 seconds and be overheating constantly. The gunplay was a bit too loose. And the 1 melee to overheat suit really killed it for me. I felt like they had this fantastic concept but there were too many limits and the execution was kinda bad. I wish I went in with no expectations but whenever I read about this game in the past people would praise it. Either way glad I played it so now I know.

These cutscene audio volume and broken health issues are really unfortunate, because otherwise this seems like a great port. I'll just wait for a patch, I guess.

Kind of wondering whether I should wait until the FPS damage bug is fixed. Have they acknowledged the issue?

I love this game a lot and have beaten it multiple times. They've done an otherwise excellent job with the port, so I don't mind waiting if they're going to fix it soon.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I think I might try doing some cheat engine stuff and giving myself infinite boost and just slide forever.

Then I can turn down the difficulty to easy and have stupid fun.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Oh sorry, I should have clarified. I already did this. My two options in the Nvidia Control Panel are "High-performance NVIDIA Processor" or "Integrated graphics". The global default is the NVIDIA Processor, but that hasn't changed anything. I even tried switching them then switching back and restarting my PC. Nothing. Sucks.

EDIT: Well, looks like I'm getting the exact same results whether I tell my PC to run the game with integrated or Nvidia. So I guess that means my computer is just forcing me to run with the integrated graphics card no matter what for some reason?? Crazy.

Try disabling the Intel card in device manager and see if that helps.

Coda

Also I know it's "obvious" but have you tried restarting your PC and then setting the particular settings? I had some resolution issues with the game before and it not recognizing 1440p but I restarted my computer, set the custom resolution again and it worked, so you never know.

.gif

I ran into one scripting issue during my playthrough where a marine got stuck in his dropship and couldn't get to a bridge he was supposed to lower. A restart from checkpoint fixed it though.

I played at 144 so if it effects scripted sequences that could be the culprit if it's not known to happen.

Young Magus

So I was hyped to pick up this game until I ran into THE EXACT same issue I have with Bayonetta......

THE GAME WOULD NOT BOOT UP.....
and all I would get is a white screen and a not responding message.

My specs are:
i7 6400 @ 3.4
GTX 1050 TI
8gb ram
and a 4k and 1080 monitors.

Why about my system makes these games white screen?

I ran into one scripting issue during my playthrough where a marine got stuck in his dropship and couldn't get to a bridge he was supposed to lower. A restart from checkpoint fixed it though.

I played at 144 so if it effects scripted sequences that could be the culprit if it's not known to happen.

I've read some other user submissions on the steam hub with bugged script related events during higher framerates. Looks like the devs have to revisit a good amount of scenes to fix all of this.

I think I hold off playing for now and hope these problems get fixed in the next days/weeks. Playing at 30fps isn't a compromise I want to settle for when only a couple of bugs prevent me from gettting a prestine experience.

So I was hyped to pick up this game until I ran into THE EXACT same issue I have with Bayonetta......

THE GAME WOULD NOT BOOT UP.....
and all I would get is a white screen and a not responding message.

My specs are:
i7 6400 @ 3.4
GTX 1050 TI
8gb ram
and a 4k and 1080 monitors.

Why about my system makes these games white screen?

Do you have any programms running in the background that hook into the game? Fraps, Gedosato, MSI afterburner etc?

There's no issues at 60 apart from increased damage, and all that means is that you feel like you're playing it on a harder difficulty. I'm on Hard right now and its just perfect with this double damage.

Can't imagine what God Hard will be like though. Barely any boost juice and double double damage? Gonna be insane. Hope I unlock it before a patch happens, because I want to experience it.

I'm about to lock this to 60 FPS like some kind of animal.

Doesn't help. The problems at 144FPS are just as severe at 60FPS, from my experience.

There's no issues at 60 apart from increased damage, and all that means is that you feel like you're playing it on a harder difficulty. I'm on Hard right now and its just perfect with this double damage.

Can't imagine what God Hard will be like though. Barely any boost juice and double double damage? Gonna be insane. Hope I unlock it before a patch happens, because I want to experience it.

If you have a controller you can rotate the right analog stick 20 times on the main menu to unlock it early.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

If you have a controller you can unlock it now by rotating the right joystick 20 times at the title screen.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Actually thought it was harder than I remembered but I ended up beating it anyways with minimal dying at the latter portion as well.

the extra damage is certainly a problem that needs to be addressed, but personally i am loving the extra challenge it is providing.

probably wont feel the same about that on God Hard though.

Wanderer5

Well that bug aside, it is good to be playing this game again. I finished up act 2 and I am still really impress with the transport ride and the hill battle.

Coda

Really hoping the bug gets fixed soon, I was wondering why I was dying a lot more often. It's been years since I played the original version on the 360 so I wasn't sure if it was just me or not. But yeah loving everything else about the port, so I'd like to play the game the way it was meant to be played ASAP.

Grief.exe

You gotta stop downplaying actual bugs.

The game was designed for specific damage levels. If the ridiculous damage increase somehow breaks the flow of the game and doesn't let you perform moves and slides outside of cover as Platinum originally intended you to do then it's just bad man.

Don't take that too seriously, I'm just being facetious.

Anyone elses shadows look like a pixelated mess even on High?

Could it be from running it at 5K?

That almost looks like low settings from the Digital Foundry video.

Jintor

holy shit this game is so fun with kb+m. i'm boosting everywhere shooting bots in the face in slo-mo

not having to use sticks to aim feels so goddamn good.

sfried

Do you guys play the game in native resolution (to your respective monitor), or do you guys upscale/supersample?

I have an R9 Nano and I use VSR to downsample to a 1366x768 monitor, but disable all AA in the process. Was wondering if running at native with FXAA isa better choice.

Top Bottom