• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanquish (PC) |OT| Steam Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Knees

robotrock

Banned
Do you guys play the game in native resolution (to your respective monitor), or do you guys upscale/supersample?

I have an R9 Nano and I use VSR to downsample to a 1366x768 monitor, but disable all AA in the process. Was wondering if running at native with FXAA isa better choice.

ive got a gtx 970 and could play this in 1080p 90fps on max settings but choose to play on low at 4k 50-60fps. looks sharp as heck

this monitor is a curse

Hypron

Can't imagine what God Hard will be like though. Barely any boost juice and double double damage? Gonna be insane. Hope I unlock it before a patch happens, because I want to experience it.

Even on consoles some basic enemies put you in dying mode in 1 hit on god hard... I wonder if they just kill you in 1 hit with this bug. That would make the mode extremely hard.

KarmaCow

Has Sega acknowledged the bug yet? I put down the game because my mouse was acting up, just wondering if I should just wait for a patch.

Grief.exe

Just began the opening level, and you get absolutely shredded at 144 FPS.

The game has you flank behind the enemies, instant death.

Has Sega acknowledged the bug yet? I put down the game because my mouse was acting up, just wondering if I should just wait for a patch.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we can contact the developer directly. They don't have a Twitter or a personal email that I can find.

heringer

Game is great, but the shooting lacks a bit of punch. Imagine the gunplay and enemy feedback of Binary Domain in this game. Ooooohhh...

Vibranium

Banned
Enjoying the game, sliding around shooting so much fun and the melee+flip+shoot combo is great. Sam reminds me of a poor man's Solid Snake (he smokes too!) with his voice actor's tone being slightly David Hayter-ish.

It'll probably take Platinum a couple of weeks to patch it, knowing how long it took them for Bayonetta. Sega Europe haven't said anything yet but fans have been posting in the stickied Steam discussion thread so hopefully someone from Platinum knows about it by now.

sfried

ive got a gtx 970 and could play this in 1080p 90fps on max settings but choose to play on low at 4k 50-60fps. looks sharp as heck

this monitor is a curse
So you'd take the hit to framerate for sharper visual quality? I thought its usually the other way around?

lazerfox

There is no way they didn't notice this bug while play testing since it alters the gameplay that heavily.

My guess is either they are working on a patch already or they just leave it be because it's too much of a hassle. I imagine unlocked framerates makes fixing it a lot harder as well.

Regardless I had fun from what I played so far.

Please
giphy.gif

Momentary

Banned

Momentary

Banned
I've been pushing through this game with the "difficulty" bug. By the time they fix it I'll probably be able to plow through this game without any issues.

The game has finally clicked with me and I'm sliding, dodging, slowing down time, meleeing, and blowing up grenades like I'm in some sort of dance. The game's combat flows very well. I've never had this much fun with a shooter.

I watched a video earlier of people actually playing it like a traditional TPS, and man are they making things too hard that way.

Grief.exe

Using a higher FOV is what's causing the shadows to look bad.

Also HBAO+ works pretty well compared to SSAO.

FPS with SSAO @ 4K maxed = 136 in this scene
With HBAO+ = 119

So it is a significant performance hit on hardware.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/211014

Update:
HBAO+ with bits 0x00000019 gives you less distortion.

HBAO+ (1F) vs HBAO+ (19)
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/211020

SSAO vs HBAO+ (19)
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/211021

I have my FOV set to 120, my shadows are probably the same.

I watched a video earlier of people actually playing it like a traditional TPS, and man are they making things too hard that way.

If you watch old review footage from mainstream outlets they are probably playing the game like Gears of War 😂😂😂😂

Trojan X

Banned
…
If you watch old review footage from mainstream outlets they are probably playing the game like Gears of War 😂😂😂😂

Lol. Gears of War playing style in Vanquish equal death. People need to ditch that style of play at once, and anyone that say vanquish plays like Gears of War prove they have no idea what they are talking about and they are clueless to just how good Vanquish is.

My wishlist for Vanquish 2:

- Online 8 man squad Co-Op with unique selectable characters and style. That would be off the hook!
- No mechanics change when selecting a higher difficulty level (that is the only thing i hate about vanquish)
- Grappling hook! The possibilities.
- More level style variety

More later.

Coreda

I've tested this multiple times using the AR mode tutorial (the bit where enemies shoot at you a bunch in order to demonstrate auto AR) and you take much more damage when playing at higher framerates. If you lock the framerate to 30FPS AR mode will activate after 6-7 seconds of taking enemy fire but if you're playing at a higher framerate, like 60FPS, it will activate in just 1-2 seconds.

RPS just published a little piece based on this.

robotrock

Banned
So you'd take the hit to framerate for sharper visual quality? I thought its usually the other way around?

if i had a fancy monitor that put out more than 60hz, i absolutely would go for the 90fps.

but the 50-60 doesn't feel much worse than the locked 60 for me in this game so i'm taking the hit

leng jai

I forgot how dodgy the sound mixing was in Vanquish. All the weapons and grenades sound like they have no weight to them and the cutscenes are about 50% louder than gameplay.

Grief.exe

This game, this game.

The first boss had me so hype while I was boost dodging around the map. Just a blast.

I had to turn it down to casual so I can learn the ropes a bit. At 144 FPS, you die in just a few bullets.

Mupod

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS!?

what's specifically happening there is the shotgun's backhand melee, you can charge it up and it automatically goes off if something hits you. The best part is you're invincible during the charge (I think, it's been a while)

Coda

I forgot how dodgy the sound mixing was in Vanquish. All the weapons and grenades sound like they have no weight to them and the cutscenes are about 50% louder than gameplay.

Yeah the cutscene sound boost is annoying, have to constantly turn the volume down on my TV every time one happens. As a sound designer the sound as a whole could have definitely been better but it's not awful.

Some 1440p screens I took today:
I feel like even though this game has a lot of grey and mute tones as far as color goes. There is still a certain minimalist style and tone going on that works really well and there's still plenty of nice blue colors that make the game look great.

Nothing wrong here, just enjoying a cig...

The aftermath!

I'm playing on Hard, by Act 3 the extra damage bug even on only 60 FPS is getting really tiresome.

Is there much point to weapons like the Disc Launcher, Lock-on Laser, LFE gun? I've always found it easier just to use machine gun, assault rifle, and shotgun/ anti-armor pistol, especially later in the game with all the Romanovs.

I'm playing on Hard, by Act 3 the extra damage bug even on only 60 FPS is getting really tiresome.

Is there much point to weapons like the Disc Launcher, Lock-on Laser, LFE gun? I've always found it easier just to use machine gun, assault rifle, and shotgun/ anti-armor pistol, especially later in the game with all the Romanovs.

I really like the lock on laser. I agree that the LFE gun isnt great, although i havent upgraded it much.

From the strategy guide:

LFE Gun penetrates cover/obstacles/turrets, has a wide attack area, and topples mid-sized enemies. Drawbacks are range (before upgrades) and low rate of fire.

The Disc Launcher is also good because it has a high dismemberment chance, and moves through enemies (hitting multiple at once, potentially again on a return trip).

Anteater

man LFE gun is awesome

the animations are also faster at 60fps right? I don't remember boost dodge is that quick on the ps3..

From the strategy guide:

LFE Gun penetrates cover/obstacles/turrets, has a wide attack area, and topples mid-sized enemies. Drawbacks are range (before upgrades) and low rate of fire.

The Disc Launcher is also good because it has a high dismemberment chance, and moves through enemies (hitting multiple at once, potentially again on a return trip).

LFE Gun knocks them over, but it doesn't do much damage. How useful it is depends on how long it knocks them over, I haven't tried lately.

LFE Gun knocks them over, but it doesn't do much damage. How useful it is depends on how long it knocks them over, I haven't tried lately.

It can one-shot smaller enemies. Mid-sized ones like Romanovs, you can switch to a shotgun or use melee attacks after toppling them.

The guide mentions hitting a Romanov with a melee attack, and then toppling it over and over with the LFE gun until your AR gauge refills.

The LFE gun is a great, useful weapon. It's like a weird-ultra shotgun - great for clearing out crowds at close ranges, plus the slow traveling speed of its projectiles can make it great to use as a trap (like snuffing out enemies as they spawn in). The disc launcher is great against Romanovs (although I can't say I've found much use for it outside of them), and the lock-on laser is good for safely killing groups of widely-spread out enemies (kind of like a homing weapon in Contra or something).

I think the only weapon that isn't ever really useful is the sniper rifle; it doesn't mesh well with Vanquish's level or enemy designs at all.

ArjanN

The LFE gun is a great, useful weapon. It's like a weird-ultra shotgun - great for clearing out crowds at close ranges, plus the slow traveling speed of its projectiles can make it great to use as a trap (like snuffing out enemies as they spawn in). The disc launcher is great against Romanovs (although I can't say I've found much use for it outside of them), and the lock-on laser is good for safely killing groups of widely-spread out enemies (kind of like a homing weapon in Contra or something).

I think the only weapon that isn't ever really useful is the sniper rifle; it doesn't mesh well with Vanquish's level or enemy designs at all.

Even though the sniper doesn't play to Vanquish strenghts, it still seems really useful to me if you want to lame it out, with mouse and keyboard you can often just headshot guys from outside aggro range.

mcmmaster

Just beat it in around 5 hours on hard mode. What an exhilarating experience to relive the game again but at 60fps.

Going into this one aspect I never really thought about benefiting from the higher framerate were some quick timed events, the more hard hitting ones really packed quite the punch. The one against
Crystal Viper
, and
the final boss right after you defeat one of the two
felt so satisfying to land/watch.

Is it normal that melees completely empty your gauge? It's very annoying having to wait for it to recharge just because I pressed F on a dude on my face every single time. Discouraged to ever use melee tbh, I'll just continue shooting my gun even if an enemy is on my face at this point.

David___

Banned
Is it normal that melees completely empty your gauge? It's very annoying having to wait for it to recharge just because I pressed F on a dude on my face every single time. Discouraged to ever use melee tbh, I'll just continue shooting my gun even if an enemy is on my face at this point.

Yes

The game is balanced around melee draining the ar gauge, and the default gauge, but I'd still like to see upgrades for that throughout the game in a potential sequel.

My wishlist for Vanquish 2:

- Online 8 man squad Co-Op with unique selectable characters and style. That would be off the hook!
- No mechanics change when selecting a higher difficulty level (that is the only thing i hate about vanquish)
- Grappling hook! The possibilities.
- More level style variety

More later.

Wall-sliding would be dope.

AR mode could would like bullet time in Max Payne 3 (people and enemies in cones of vision of an AR-mode user, and everyone within those people's cones of vision would slow down)

This thread has been losing its steam after the discovery of that bug.

I've stopped playing myself, waiting for a patch. This is my first Vanquish experience. Not like this.

Top Bottom