• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanquish (PC) |OT| Steam Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Knees

Mechazawa

vanquishtitleevensmal08apw.gif

Platform: PC
Developer: Platinum Games
Publisher: Sega
Release Date: May 25, 2017
Price: 19.99
(25% off for Bayonetta owners, 25% off both for people who bundle them together) (Was a preorder discount.)

Launch trailer.

PC Features:
-UNLOCKED FRAMERATES
-UNLOCKED RESOLUTIONS
-Graphical options: Anti-aliasing, Anisotropic Filtering, SSAO, Texture and Shadow quality, Post processing “and more”

Story:
After overthrowing the previous government, Russian Badguy Victor Zaitsev commandeers US space station Providence and initiates an orbital laser attack on San Francisco. As Sam Gideon, you’re ordered to tag along with US forces who are sent into Providence to stop Zaitsev, who has threatened another attack on New York City if the US government does not surrender. All the while, Sam must also worry about exfiltrating a DARPA colleague who has been kidnapped by the Russians and navigate his relationship with Lieutenant-Colonel Burns, who he slowly forms a budding romance with.

In a story not this topical since The Grapes of Wrath, experience the prescient vision of…VANQUISH!

ss_cc6b0782e3469dbfffd2a5y.jpg

What is Vanquish:
Directed by Our Lord God and Savior Shinji Mikami, Vanquish is a high mobility, third person cover shooter where you kill tons of robots while sliding around on the floor at high speeds and use sweet melee finishers. In Vanquish, the most critical mechanic in the game and the one you’ll spend your entire time managing is the Boost gauge. The Boost gauge is your lifeline and it dictates how much you can boost along the ground, how long you can stay in AR mode(the game's version of bullet/witch time) and whether or not you can execute a melee(of which a successful connect with an enemy will completely drain your Boost gauge). Anytime you fully deplete the boost gauge, your suit overheats and it initiates a long cooldown, which can leave you helpless. When near death, the boost gauge automatically activates on its own and Sam enters AR mode, giving you a last ditch effort to quickly reposition yourself and get to safety. Make no mistake: Vanquish is a game about stamina management, not unlike something along the lines of RE6.

Otherwise, there's not much else to Vanquish. Just beautiful animations, lots of enemy variations, hyper techno-fetishist environmental backdrops, cool boss fights and a fair amount of mechanical depth.

Cool Shit Done by Cool People:
Gif sources:
SPOILERSSPOILERS-Zaarock's VST submission-SPOILERSSPOILERS
MOLU_JPN Challenge 4
MOLU_JPN Challenge 1

I'm cripplingly amazing at video games, what medicine can you prescribe me?
Rotate your right analog stick 20 times at the main menu and you'll unlock God Hard immediately. No idea what this input is on M&KB. Go crazy with your mouse?

I wanna step up:
Then check out these two great advanced tutorials. Worth noting that certain concepts, like the reload cancel(switch to a different weapon and back to bypass a weapon’s reload animation) are useful regardless of how deep you want to get.

I came here for the tl;dr:
vanquishexplodingkneermz3i.png

Regiruler

I'm cripplingly amazing at video games, what medicine can you prescribe me?
Rotate your right analog stick 20 times at the main menu and you'll unlock God Hard immediately. No idea what this input is on M&KB. Go crazy with your mouse?
lmao

CuNi

Always wanted to play but never got the chance to. I think I'll pick this one up then! Thirsty for a new Hardcore game after beating revengence!

Seyfert

Hope this sell well and lead to consideration to make a sequel.

Sam Gideon need to comeback this gen. Love him.

Waiting for preload and play with my current rig uncapped FPS.

Unlocked resolution and framerates are nice and all..

but is the game unlocked yet? I don't think there's a pre-load as well.

Haven't played this in years, can't wait for it to go live. I think my favorite run was the one I did without using slomo. Really fun way to play the game. Bless Mikami and Platinum for this game.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the original release, but I suspect the PC version with its improved framerate and resolution is really going to shine. Can't wait.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Manzoon

Banned
And here I thought Nier: Automata was going to be my next Platinum game on PC, and instead it is Bayonetta AND Vanquish. Good Lord I have been waiting forever to play Vanquish.

Top Bottom