• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanquish (PC) |OT| Steam Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Knees

Robiin

Hmm.. I think I need like a "beginners guide" or something. I feel like I do worse when I try and move around an awful lot than when I play safe, which is not what I find the most fun nor how I assume the game was intended to be played.

I play on Normal, and it's just that my suit's energy decreases so fast when I slide around and the recharge is too slow. So I bounce around, slide a bit, roll away, get some shots in, slide around. Now I'm out of energy and it takes a long while to recharge.

I assume that you are supposed to not use up your entire energy so you don't have to deal with the slow recharge, kind of like stamina in Dark Souls, but I don't get enough slide time.. How am I supposed to play this game, does anyone have any tiås for an introductory video or something?

EDIT: and it seems like the melee attack drains all energy in one go? Seems really powerful, but when should I use it? Only as a finishing blow?

EDIT2: Missed the advanced video in the OP!

CupONoodos

Neo Member
So I'm finding myself dying a lot and just wondering how I should play better. Been using the techniques I learned from the Advanced Tech videos, but every time I jump out I end up getting rocked by thousands of bullets. Should I rely a lot on Bullet Time or am I playing it wrong? I'm also trying to avoid using cover and am only using it to get my energy back up, but I don't last that long just boosting around trying to get kills and usually end up going into the almost dead mode losing all my energy. How do you avoid getting hurt so much when you're trying to boost around?

renzolama

What controller scheme are you guys playing with?

C6cYG0H.gif

Zomba13

Feel great. Was going to complain about the black bars on non-16:9 resolutions but then saw the post on the forum about it so no issues there. UI is stretched but eh, not a biggie though the menu and everything is super pixely but again, that is a minor complaint.

Will play more tomorrow but it feels so good using a mouse to aim with all those fps.

Shifty

Mmm, 144hz mouse + keyboard Vanquish is a beautiful thing. I'm super rusty but already blowing away what I used to be able to do on 360 through sheer virtue of the added precision.

And hot damn these DLC weapons are something. Never tried them before but the pistol is already my favourite.

Hypron

god hard sucks honestly. You have to play so defensively and slowly that it takes away the fun part of Vanquish.

God hard will make you really good at the game though. It forces you to learn enemy weakpoints and to optimise your use of bullet time.

You learn very quick that cutting specific body parts of enemies is very useful for example, whereas on lower difficulties you don't really need to bother since the game is easy enough.

Oreoleo

God, this game is still so damn good. And using the Steam controller is a dream- put the bumpers on the back grips, no more claw grips when trying to boost and aim at the same time! Plus it has some of the best feeling mouse-like joystic controls I've experienced, doesn't feel floaty at all like most games do.

Is it just me or is the in-game font/text a bit pixely?
Definitely, not sure if it's intentional or not. It looks bad though.

Skyzard

Banned
I think the text stuff is on purpose, like a glitchy ui - you can see it fuzzing with lines every now and then (an effect).

Like the comms videos.

Anteater

Hmm.. I think I need like a "beginners guide" or something. I feel like I do worse when I try and move around an awful lot than when I play safe, which is not what I find the most fun nor how I assume the game was intended to be played.

I play on Normal, and it's just that my suit's energy decreases so fast when I slide around and the recharge is too slow. So I bounce around, slide a bit, roll away, get some shots in, slide around. Now I'm out of energy and it takes a long while to recharge.

I assume that you are supposed to not use up your entire energy so you don't have to deal with the slow recharge, kind of like stamina in Dark Souls, but I don't get enough slide time.. How am I supposed to play this game, does anyone have any tiås for an introductory video or something?

EDIT: and it seems like the melee attack drains all energy in one go? Seems really powerful, but when should I use it? Only as a finishing blow?

EDIT2: Missed the advanced video in the OP!

yeah you're not supposed to use all your energy with boosting, if you want to dodge, boost dodging is good (by starting up boost and quickly pressing dodge), it gives you invincibility frames and doesn't consume as much (if any?) energy, melee is powerful, I find myself using it more on the medium size enemies as long as there's a way for crowd control and when I'm behind walls or not being swarmed, it's been a while since I've played it but I remember these being useful:

- stun grenades can be activated instantly when you toss it while boosting, it's super useful

- chainsaw gun's melee only takes up ammos as far as I could remember, and it doesn't overheat you, I sometimes use it if I overheat

- LFE gun covers a pretty wide area and knock down enemies, it's good for crowd control

- Shotgun's melee can be charged by holding the melee button, so you can knock down an enemy with a LFE gun, charge up the melee for some huge damage and just use the other stuff above/go into cover while recovering

I think there are a lot other things too, but I don't really remember/know about them, things like I think you can shoot the heads off the romanovs and they can't see where you are, and you can also make them explode if you shoot their missiles right when they're being launched, chopping off limbs will make them react differently

jediyoshi

I think the text stuff is on purpose, like a glitchy ui - you can see it fuzzing with lines every now and then (an effect).

Like the comms videos.

I'm 95% certain it's them not thinking to apply texture filtering to it. When you run the game closer to its original output, it looks fine

LGxCsnC.png

GCWUEhb.png

renzolama

So I'm finding myself dying a lot and just wondering how I should play better. Been using the techniques I learned from the Advanced Tech videos, but every time I jump out I end up getting rocked by thousands of bullets. Should I rely a lot on Bullet Time or am I playing it wrong? I'm also trying to avoid using cover and am only using it to get my energy back up, but I don't last that long just boosting around trying to get kills and usually end up going into the almost dead mode losing all my energy. How do you avoid getting hurt so much when you're trying to boost around?

Boosting on its own is really no different than running openly through enemy fire; the action by itself doesn't confer any damage mitigation, it's basically the equivalent of sprinting in a traditional third person shooter. For combat, you want to be using boost + dodge and activating AR mode as often as possible (as you said, "rely a lot on Bullet Time"), and you want to be switching between weapons constantly and/or using melee depending on the range of the nearest enemies. You can activate AR after a boost melee (kick) also, and that becomes a really important part of your toolbox for getting up close against multiple enemies without dying immediately.

(From another Vanquish thread on neogaf, not my gif)
PBwrXXO.gif

Edit: The boost kick + AR + shotgun is your friend for clearing out groups on open ground.
Edit2: You can also activate AR while jumping over cover

Skye

I'm getting this weird issue where if I play in borderless windowed, the game will hitch and stop every few seconds. Game seems fine in regular windowed or fullscreen. Any ideas?

Oreoleo

I'm 95% certain it's them not thinking to apply texture filtering to it. When you run the game closer to its original output, it looks fine

Seems like it would be an easy fix in any case. Considering the support Bayonetta has gotten I'm confident P* will have a patch for this in the coming days.

rrs

playing the game first time on PC, this is quite fun. I should try to apply some of the tips in this thread for kicking ass instead of running into explosives

Trojan X

Banned
There we go, finished in 3h and 44s. After waiting for a playable port since the PS3 demo that was quite a relief!

Good fun apart from the forced walking sections and the searchlight part.

And that AP pistol...

Waiting for your Hard mode exploits. The true game. That 3hrs win doesn't mean anything unless you did it in Hard mode.

Mechazawa

Also, do note that the ingame timer isn't particularly accurate. It tends to undershoot depending on your deaths and how much of the cutscenes you watched.

Nobody else noticing the reticule kind of overcompensating during the training in the beginning? I tried playing this morning before work and it felt like there was some mouse acceleration but I haven't seen anyone else mention anything. Like I stated earlier, my mouse goes through a splitter because it's connected to two systems so I'm not sure if it's because of that. But there was definitely something going on for me with the mouse aiming. Very slight but still there

Can't wait to install after work. Thanks for reminding me how short this game was too! Will do a quick play through this weekend before challenge runs and what not. So glad its returned.

Kindekuma

Banned
I never played Vanquish before today, and holy fuck. This game is a mans meal of meat and potatoes, cigar smokin', whiskey drinkin', wood loggin', balls to the wall kind action.

Where has this been all my life? SEGA why did you wait so long? I'm in love.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well, beat it all in one sitting! The port is fantastic and it was nice replaying this at higher than 30 from the original with KB+M. It took me a bit to get reacquainted with things but once I got going playing again with all these enhancements was wonderful.

I did change some keybindings though to what seemed to make sense to me.
Boost- Space
Shift- Roll
Melee- Mouse back button
Grenade- F

Everything else was the same but that seemed to work best for me.

Keep the great work coming in Platinum and Sega. <3

Well, beat it all in one sitting! The port is fantastic and it was nice replaying this at higher than 30 from the original with KB+M. It took me a bit to get reacquainted with things but once I got going playing again with all these enhancements was wonderful.

Boost- Space
Shift- Roll
Melee- Mouse back button
Grenade- F

How long is it?

Boost- Space
Shift- Roll
Melee- Mouse back button
Grenade- F

beat challenge 6- then you are done with the game - I DARE YOU I DARE YOU - YOU HEAR ME InfiniteNine!!

melli

Neo Member
Hm.. some days ago the steampage said something like 25% of for preorder, or if you own bayonetta. I own bayonetta, but it doesn't show the discount now, just full price. I added it to the shopping cart, but still says full price. Was it really only a preorder discount then?

Is there a tutorial or tip video on how to play? I've beaten the game before, but felt like I was playing it wrong the entire time.

Hm.. some days ago the steampage said something like 25% of for preorder, or if you own bayonetta. I own bayonetta, but it doesn't show the discount now, just full price. I added it to the shopping cart, but still says full price. Was it really only a preorder discount then?

Yep, it was advertised as a pre-order discount.

How long is it?

This depends on the diffuclty setting
for example I know I've played 2-3 hours everyday for a about a week
- but when I beat the game it only said I had played for about 6hrs.

I spend alot of time finding these little statues in each level btw and played on a hard my first run.
The game does not count when you die or if you restart the level - it's not like Ninja gaiden where the timer is constanlty counting your game play time
even if you loose.

Yeah this is about how it was on a playthrough on Normal.

You know I'll do it! Going to start on challenges tomorrow and experiment a bit more with the weapons.
I expect a full report soon!

melli

Neo Member
Is there a tutorial or tip video on how to play? I've beaten the game before, but felt like I was playing it wrong the entire time.

Yep, it was advertised as a pre-order discount.

Yeah, i noticed it now on the official announcement where it said "Vanquish available for pre-order on Steam! 25% off for all Bayonetta owners on Steam!".

I've already bought it on 360 (and bayonetta on both 360 and steam), so i think i'll wait till it's on sale before i pick it up.

Momentary

Banned
So I did some SGSSAA testing, tried all the Bayonetta bits but they caused major blurring. The Metal Gear Rising bits however work great (0x000012C1). However there is a pretty hefty performance hit.

Doing 4xSGSSAA my framerate when from 100 - 120 to 40 - 60 on a 980.

Looks so clean though.

EDIT: 2xSGSSAA I'm getting 80+ fps and while not as clean as 4x obviously it looks much better then either the in game FXAA or injecting SMAA via Reshade.

This is good, but the FPS takes a HUMUNGOUS drop during first person section. I went for 80fps to 10fps with a Titan Xp.

Top Bottom