• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanquish (PC) |OT| Steam Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Knees

lazerfox

Just finished act 1 on hard mode.

I kind of feel like this game would be more fun on normal difficulty since it punishes you for sliding around and being in the open for too long. It forces you to play it like a typical cover based shooter. Maybe I just suck and need to work on my movement.

The pistol is OP though. It's almost like a sniper without having to reload every shot. Headshots feel so satisfying.

Momentary

Banned
So... at 4K, 5K, or when using SGSSAA the first person scenes are making my framerate plummet to 16-20FPS.

Are there any instances where you have to do certain actions when in first person? I can deal with it if that's the case.

So... at 4K, 5K, or when using SGSSAA the first person scenes are making my framerate plummet to 16-20FPS.

Are there any instances where you have to do certain actions when in first person? I can deal with it if that's the case.
It's been a bit since I played but you never shoot in first person except through sniper rifles. The other first person bits are all just moving forward.

KarmaCow

Welp, this game was the worst way to find out my mouse is acting up again and sporadically registering multiple right clicks when holding it down. It makes it annoying to manually trigger AR and stay in it with any consistency.

3tGpgHC.gif

Skyzard

Banned
Nice gifs as always, SunhiLegend.

Is that special editing or reShade giving it nice colours?

Anyone had any luck bringing a bit more pop to the game? - without making the darker sections too dark...

CupONoodos

Neo Member
Boosting on its own is really no different than running openly through enemy fire; the action by itself doesn't confer any damage mitigation, it's basically the equivalent of sprinting in a traditional third person shooter. For combat, you want to be using boost + dodge and activating AR mode as often as possible (as you said, "rely a lot on Bullet Time"), and you want to be switching between weapons constantly and/or using melee depending on the range of the nearest enemies. You can activate AR after a boost melee (kick) also, and that becomes a really important part of your toolbox for getting up close against multiple enemies without dying immediately.

(From another Vanquish thread on neogaf, not my gif)
PBwrXXO.gif

Edit: The boost kick + AR + shotgun is your friend for clearing out groups on open ground.
Edit2: You can also activate AR while jumping over cover

Thanks appreciate the help. I think I'm getting the handle and idea of how to tackle this game now. Still need to practice not going too crazy with the boost and getting myself killed haha

MechaX

Managed to get everything running at 60-90+ FPS consistently with a hodge-podge settings at 1080p (high textures, but shit shadows, lower AA, etc) on my laptop with 960m GTX.

I am just now realizing that I need to upgrade to a real PC soon, because I would love to play this thing at full power.

David___

Banned
Played this years ago when it was on PS+.

Got gud enough to beat Challenge 6

Got continuously wrecked in the first mission on Hard since Im not used to it anymore

Time to relearn it seems :D

renzolama

I don't know exactly what it is, but something about the "Darkness" mission environment felt like a massive drop in image quality for me. It actually progressed to the point where my eyes started bugging me; the best way I can describe it is to compare it to the sensation where you're sitting too close to a pixellated, blurry image and trying to focus and resolve it. Is that just my imagination? It has been a long week, maybe my eyes are just tired.

Oreoleo

Damn it disables mouse input while a gamepad is in use, this would have been perfect for the steam controller :/

Mouse-joystick felt shockingly good to me, and I basically never use it in other games just out of principle. You should give it a try.

Echoplx

Mouse-joystick felt shockingly good to me, and I basically never use it in other games just out of principle. You should give it a try.

Unfortunately you can't control the sensitivity in that mode and I like to have the trackpad for quick movements and the gyro for precise aiming.

I made a M&K setup that mimics the gamepad layout which works well, analog movement doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Oreoleo

Unfortunately you can't control the sensitivity in that mode and I like to have the trackpad for quick movements and the gyro for precise aiming.

I made a M&K setup that mimics the gamepad layout which works well, analog movement doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

If you got a setup that works for you that's great, so I don't mean to press the issue too much or try to get you to change your setup but there's 3 different in-game sensitivity sliders, combined with the SC's "vertical movement" and "gyro ratio to joystick movement" settings (paraphrasing) I was able to dial things in to how I wanted. Granted it involved a lot of back and forth between in-game and SC settings when I normally prefer to do all the sensitivity adjustments through the SC config, so I definitely understand what you're getting at, but it is possible to get a gamepad layout to a good spot.

God, the keyboard and mouse destroys the controller in this game. I loved it on consoles no doubt and playing it on 4k/60 FPS is nice but the KB/M precision and speed is the real stand out for me.

Knurek

God, the keyboard and mouse destroys the controller in this game. I loved it on consoles no doubt and playing it on 4k/60 FPS is nice but the KB/M precision and speed is the real stand out for me.

Speaking of KB+M, anyone tried it on Steam Controller?

Hovering at 120ish FPS on my 1070 at 1440p with everything maxed. Only tried a little bit with a controller, but I'm going to go mouse and keyboard next time to really murder some Russian robots.

By the way, is there something wrong with the Trading Cards right now? I've played over four hours and haven't unlocked any, and it seems like nobody's selling any on the Community Market yet.

rrs

Hovering at 120ish FPS on my 1070 at 1440p with everything maxed. Only tried a little bit with a controller, but I'm going to go mouse and keyboard next time to really murder some Russian robots.

By the way, is there something wrong with the Trading Cards right now? I've played over four hours and haven't unlocked any, and it seems like nobody's selling any on the Community Market yet.
First game to fall into the "fake game" verification queue?

I played through the first act earlier today and holy crap does this feel smooth compared to the PS3 version

No tease for the next port in the Avatars folder in case anyone wondered. Perhaps in a future patch like Bayonetta their will be, or they'll find a better way to surprise us.

vanquish_by_mcmemie-dbadze5.png

Sega, please let this show up in the Avatars folder

UNDERSTAND_UNDERSTAND_THE_CONCEPT_OF_LOVE.png

Shaneus

I played through the first act earlier today and holy crap does this feel smooth compared to the PS3 version

Sega, please let this show up in the Avatars folder

UNDERSTAND_UNDERSTAND_THE_CONCEPT_OF_LOVE.png
I understand
understand, understand understand, understand understand
that reference.

ViviOggi

This game looks really, really good for a 7 year old PS360 title. And we almost got another Dark Souls situation with these crips-ass textures

I understand
understand, understand understand, understand understand
that reference.
Nice

dude

dude
Man, do I suck at this game. I still can't get a grip on the controls and mechanics, and I always seem to get blind-sided.
I'm having a blast though, just wish I wouldn't die as much as I do.

Top Bottom