• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanquish (PC) |OT| Steam Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Knees

Parsnip

It was more severe, actually.
Tanks couldn't go up slopes at higher framerates, making some missions unbeatable.
Also, damage you received while under fire was relative to framerate, making machine guns pretty much an instakill.

Oh, didn't know about the tank part, but that's probably more complicated because animations are involved. I'm making the assumption that this is just math.
I remember people praising the VC bug for effectively nerfing some over powered tactics, and hoping that they would fix the bug but leave the nerfs in.

It's been a while though.

Some dude proficient with Cheat Engine should be able to make a hack for 60 and 144fps. Find where player health gets subtracted from player, write script to reduce damage accordingly for higher framerates... maybe it's not that easy but that's what I imagine could be done relatively easy in theory (but who does it?)
That's what I'm thinking as well.
In theory you could also find the the variable that changes with framerate and lock it to 30. That's more or less what the Dark Souls 2 durability fix did as far as I recall.

Any tricks or tips on getting this to run better? I have an 860m which can run Bayonetta PC just fine on high graphics and 1920x1080 no problem but Vanquish is absolutely demolishing me despite, going by it's graphics settings, actually using less video memory (300mb in Vanquish vs. the 964 I'm apparently using in Bayonetta). I can only get it to run at a decent frame rate in the lowest available resolution on low settings. Whats the deal, the game isn't THAT much more advanced graphically. Bug, something wrong with my PC?

FLAguy954

Unfortunately you can't control the sensitivity in that mode and I like to have the trackpad for quick movements and the gyro for precise aiming.

I made a M&K setup that mimics the gamepad layout which works well, analog movement doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

You mind posting a screenshot of your layout? Gonna be using a steam controller for this one too.

That's interesting. This is weird too since the damage seems like the only thing tied to framerate, or it's just a really weird bug

There are some other oddities, like when the game takes the camera away from you to show you something in the environment. Those bits can go by in a split second at high framerates.

NeoRaider

I've tested this multiple times using the AR mode tutorial (the bit where enemies shoot at you a bunch in order to demonstrate auto AR) and you take much more damage when playing at higher framerates. If you lock the framerate to 30FPS AR mode will activate after 6-7 seconds of taking enemy fire but if you're playing at a higher framerate, like 60FPS, it will activate in just 1-2 seconds.

30FPS

60FPS

Note the number of times Sam staggers.

This can be consistently reproduced.

Wow. They need to patch this.

One more nitpick. When using a mouse and keyboard and sliding towards the camera, there's some sort of animation bug that prevents Sam from actually looking/aiming behind him as he normally would. This isn't an issue if you pull off the same maneuver with a controller. I'd say it doesn't have an impact on gameplay, but your bullets do seem to be physically shooting out from a different location than normal. And it just looks incredibly silly.

Controller

Mouse

Edit: My mistake, the gif labeled 144FPS was actually running at about 68FPS. I didn't note the drop in framerate from recording with FRAPS. Luckily, the damage seems to stop scaling after 60FPS (it still takes about a second for AR mode to activate whether at 60FPS or 144FPS)

I noticed the same thing, after few minutes of playing.

Cyanity

Banned
I've tested this multiple times using the AR mode tutorial (the bit where enemies shoot at you a bunch in order to demonstrate auto AR) and you take much more damage when playing at higher framerates. If you lock the framerate to 30FPS AR mode will activate after 6-7 seconds of taking enemy fire but if you're playing at a higher framerate, like 60FPS, it will activate in just 1-2 seconds.

30FPS
30fpsj2uuj.gif

60FPS
144fpszgu48.gif

I was wondering why I've been consistently getting my ass handed to me on hard mode.

There are some other oddities, like when the game takes the camera away from you to show you something in the environment. Those bits can go by in a split second at high framerates.

I posted the bugs you discovered in the stickied Sega Dev thread on the Steam hub. You should seriously post any bugs you find in that sticky thread. The devs aren't going to monitor Gaf here.

I posted the bugs you discovered in the stickied Sega Dev thread on the Steam hub. You should seriously post any bugs you find in that sticky thread. The devs aren't going to monitor Gaf here.

I had already posted in the sticky. Just decided to make some gifs and notify GAF since I know most people are under the impression that the port is flawless right now and aren't actively checking the bug report thread.

I wish Digital Foundry had noticed these sorts of things and covered them in their video. People need to start making loud noises at Sega if they want this fixed in a timely fashion, looking at how things went with Bayonetta's post-launch support.

Manatox

So i was just about to start this game when i saw the "more damge on higher fps bug".

I was thinking to start at HARD. How "doable" is it at hard difficulty with this bug?

Grief.exe

Any tricks or tips on getting this to run better? I have an 860m which can run Bayonetta PC just fine on high graphics and 1920x1080 no problem but Vanquish is absolutely demolishing me despite, going by it's graphics settings, actually using less video memory (300mb in Vanquish vs. the 964 I'm apparently using in Bayonetta). I can only get it to run at a decent frame rate in the lowest available resolution on low settings. Whats the deal, the game isn't THAT much more advanced graphically. Bug, something wrong with my PC?

Make sure you're using FXAA instead of "Edge AA."

I'm assuming the latter is MSAA, which would be more performance intensive, though I could be wrong.

I had already posted in the sticky. Just decided to make some gifs and notify GAF since I know most people are under the impression that the port is flawless right now and aren't actively checking the bug report thread.

I wish Digital Foundry had noticed these sorts of things and covered them in their video. People need to start making loud noises at Sega if they want this fixed in a timely fashion, looking at how things went with Bayonetta's post-launch support.

I'm surprised this isn't caught in the QA phase. This type of issue comes up so frequently when developers are attempting to Jerry rig higher frame rates into console ports.

To be fair, the issue is not apparent from the get go or when you're not deliberately paing attention to it or simply lack any kind of previous experience with the game to compare to.

However I did notice with several Youtubers who started playing the game on PC hat they died pretty easily or got kicked into automated AR with only a few hits. I just didn't think much of it when I noticed it, but now it makes sense why it seemed so off to me.

Anyway, thanks for paying attention to these things. I hope the bugs get fixed.

jett

D-Member

30FPS
30fpsj2uuj.gif

60FPS
144fpszgu48.gif

Hah same problem as Valkyria Chronicles. I'm guessing same team ported it over? I think they fixed that on VC so I guess they could patch it here too.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.

I'm running it here at work on my mid 2014 MBP GTX 750M. 720p, everything on high except shadows (normal) and SSAO is off and I get 60fps solid.

Nyoro SF

It was more severe, actually.
Tanks couldn't go up slopes at higher framerates, making some missions unbeatable.
Also, damage you received while under fire was relative to framerate, making machine guns pretty much an instakill.

Actually, all the missions were still beatable (as I can attest). But it forced you to use singular strategies during two missions in the game, and it actually made one of the Challenge missions easier because one of the boss tanks couldn't leave their starting position.

It's funny that the glitch actually made the game more enjoyable because of the higher firing rate.

Kindekuma

Banned
"Elena and I are outside of military jurisdiction, lieutenant."
"So what you're really saying is 'Fuck off"

I love these characters lmao

Broritos

"Elena and I are outside of military jurisdiction, lieutenant."
"So what you're really saying is 'Fuck off"

I love these characters lmao

People like to talk shit about the story but I don't know how they don't realize that it's ridiculous on purpose. Pretty much all of Burns dialogue gives it away.

"Stay frosty. I want you ready to shoot if you see so much as a fucking Roomba."

I love it.

People like to talk shit about the story but I don't know how they don't realize that it's ridiculous on purpose. Pretty much all of Burns dialogue gives it away.

"Stay frosty. I want you ready to shoot if you see so much as a fucking Roomba."

I love it.
This has to be one of the only Japanese action games that directly reference trademarked things like eBay and Roomba, right?

Mupod

I love it.

he has amazing idle dialogue. He'll pull out a flask and say "Whiskey a go-go baby!"

lazerfox

Man this damage bug sucks. I had a lot of fun playing Act 1 on 144FPS on hard but I died a lot.

Now I'm hesitant to play until they patch it. Kinda makes me wanna refund the game if it takes several months.

Dartastic

I was wondering why I've been consistently getting my ass handed to me on hard mode.
I was wondering why I was getting my ass handed to me on NORMAL. Like, I was playing the first mission and just getting WRECKED. Guess I'll wait for them to patch it. :/

Coda

It feels amazing on keyboard and mouse with the sensitivity settings set up well.

I've been playing on gamepad so far and I do think aiming can feel a little off and tedious even when I messed with the sensitivity settings. I may try keyboard and mouse at some point soon.

Also, that FPS damage bug is frustrating. I noticed it while playing too and said to myself, "I don't remember it like this." Hope it gets patched soon.

jackal27

Banned
Is there something wrong with my PC? I feel like I should be able to run this ok, but even on low settings and Vsync off I'm getting sub-30fps.

uIY5jKM.png

Don't know much about hardware tbh and we mostly just use this PC for my wife's work. Will probably replace it in the next year or two since it's from like 2012 or 13. Still, this was a 360 game.

jrush64

Banned
You I played the Ps3 version of Vanquish for years and I swear I didnt know you could slide and kick into and object then do a backflip. This game is amazing.

Kssio_Aug

Is there something wrong with my PC? I feel like I should be able to run this ok, but even on low settings and Vsync off I'm getting sub-30fps.

uIY5jKM.png

Don't know much about hardware tbh and we mostly just use this PC for my wife's work. Will probably replace it in the next year or two since it's from like 2012 or 13. Still, this was a 360 game.

I don't think the game is that heavy. Are your drivers up to date? Are you playing at which resolution?

sixghost

So i was just about to start this game when i saw the "more damge on higher fps bug".

I was thinking to start at HARD. How "doable" is it at hard difficulty with this bug?

I beat the first Act and Challenge #1 last night on hard. I died a couple times during the more difficult sections, but it's doable. I had never played on Hard before, so I just assumed everything was supposed to do that much damage.

You really need to use AR intelligently and be careful.

jackal27

Banned
I don't think the game is that heavy. Are your drivers up to date? Are you playing at which resolution?
Trying to play at 720p! Just updated my drivers 2 days ago in preparation for this. Even Dragon Age: Origins was giving me issues and I could have sworn I had that game running great on here.

Kssio_Aug

Trying to play at 720p! Just updated my drivers 2 days ago in preparation for this. Even Dragon Age: Origins was giving me issues and I could have sworn I had that game running great on here.

There's definitely something wrong. By what this site says, your GTX 660 is quite better than a GTX 750 Ti.
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-660-vs-Nvidia-GTX-750-Ti/2162vs2187

Digital Foundry played the game at 1080p, 40~50fps, at a GTX 750 Ti.
Look: https://youtu.be/cUYvoKdowJE?t=656

I_D

The graphics appear to be broken at anything above 5760x3240. Not sure what the issue is. I haven't messed with the various types of AA yet, cause it's annoying to switch back and forth, but it seems odd that it works at some UHD resolutions but not others.

The game is as awesome as I remembered it though.

sfried

Do you guys run the game in native resolution (to your respective monitor), or do you guys upscale/supersample? I have an R9 Nano and I use VSR to downsample to a 1366x768 monitor, but disable all AA in the process. Was wondering if running at native with FXAA isa better choice.

Top Bottom