• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Varia Suit Comparison: Samus Returns vs Metroid Prime

Nintendo released today new art for metroid samus returns, and one of them is this one of samus doing a very familiar pose:

jyJPAZ6.jpg

Which is a reference to this art from the first prime:

So, did you like the new design for samus' varia suit? Do you want nintendo to use this new design for prime 4/smash 5?

I personally love the new one and think that they did some subtle changes to her overall body and made the visor more menacing, making samus seem very agressive in this suit.

Rymuth

Agreed, OP. I like the new visor and think it's menacing but I can't quite be sure why I prefer the older design.

I dig the little changes tho.

//ARCANUM

Wow the old one was so much nicer and more detailed. The new one feel very early 2000s to me. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Edit - her shoes suck in the old one though, I’ll give it that.

Arm cannon seems shorter in the new design. Also thisnshit is more orange. I don't really have much of an opinion on it either way. I just can't wait to play the game.

jackal27

Banned
Prime is the GOAT and I really wish it was the default Smash design, especially because it seems to be her most iconic look.

I do like the new one as well though!

New armor is flashy,the leds distract you and in case of dark areas it would innecesary show samus position to everyone near, and it looks like samus never use her armor like a knight in new armor. Also is innecesary stylish exposion her legs and leds entrances

old armor looks faint due her bounty hunter job and not delate her position, bulky and the leds dont distract samus view, armor is covering most of her body and gives the player being a safe tank for exploring, visor is huge for the huge while the new visor is trying to reach ironman levels of being hud inside the helmet and not in the visor

yuoke

Banned
The prime design will always be my favorite, and I love all the little details.

The new one is really good though, maybe second best. Coolest visor look by far, and the shoulder pads are back to being bulky. I also really like the coloring, but would like more detail with the lines. Also would prefer the chest plate to be a little bigger for proportion.

Mechazawa

The new design, specifically the leggings and arms, looks like it takes more visual cues from traditional knight armor. The Prime suit straight up looks like sci-fi power armor.

They've both got their strengths(lol Samus and her stubby goat feet), but I dig the newer one more overall even if the Prime one makes more sense.

No, it's a brand new design, some of the designs the varia suit went through the years:

From left to right: super, prime, zero mission, other m, smash 4 (based on other m).

I love how Samus's legs grow longer and longer with each new entry.

Samus will be 75% Legs in Prime 4.

The prime suit lining feels very alien sci fi to me, while the new design looks like it borrows from fantasy plate armor particularly in the arm's and leg's joint areas.

I do like the extra bling and edginess, and that rimmed hose on the arm cannon takes the cake o7

D.Lo

I think it's a new suit? The extra exhaust port bits (black things that look like microphone plugs) make it look like a brute force upgrade over the Varia.

Kindekuma

Banned
I think it's pretty cool to reference a pose like that. However I think the model and rig would look way more dynamic in this kind of pose.

here-are-30-metroid-facts-to-celebrate-metroid-s-30th-anniversary.jpg

jackal27

Banned
I love how Samus's legs grow longer and longer with each new entry.

Samus will be 75% Legs in Prime 4.
Super Metroid listed her as 6'0 tall too and I would just really love to see that come back.

There is also this one if you want to see more angles:
That's a weird pose to me, but I'm really loving that asymmetrical arm canon!

Omg guys... We're getting a new Metroid game!!

Toxi

Banned
Prime 2/3 Varia Suit remains my favorite design, but Samus Returns still brings a pretty worthy contender and I wouldn't mind if this look showed up again in the future.

I love how aggressive the SR Varia Suit looks with the narrow visor, crazy glowing shoulders, narrowed arm cannon, etc. It's also much more mecha-influenced than Samus' other armor designs, and I love me some mecha.

I like the new visor and old suit. Undecided about the canon, I like the new canon design better, but I don't like how it gets smaller as it goes to the tip.

New suit for me (though the Other M/Smash Bros take is the best IMO). Prime 1 suit is too bulky, round, and dull for my tastes (to be honest, I don't think it wouldn't look out of place in an 80's or 90's sci-fi movie). Side note: the Power Suit has been generally trending towards a sleeker and more defined look as time progressed, which you can start noticing as early as Prime 2.

I love the angry-ass new visor, and I also like the much brighter lights on the armor. But the extra separation and little details on the Prime Varia suit is killer. This is definitely the best Varia suit next to the Prime one.

Fuck Other M's suit. And fuck Sakurai for using that trash ass suit in Smash 4.

I hope the Gravity Suit proper makes it into this game, but with Sakamoto at the helm again he might think its too lame and go with the shitty purple glow again.

yuoke

Banned
Super Metroid listed her as 6'0 tall too and I would just really love to see that come back.
This is official, so she has been 6'3 for a long time.
6GMr75j.png

Other m fucked things up though, because every guy in the game is like over a foot taller than her. If samus is 6'3 and wearing like 6 inch heels here, are you telling me adam is close to 8ft tall?

latest

I love the angry-ass new visor, and I also like the much brighter lights on the armor. But the extra separation and little details on the Prime Varia suit is killer. This is definitely the best Varia suit next to the Prime one.

Fuck Other M's suit. And fuck Sakurai for using that trash ass suit in Smash 4.

I hope the Gravity Suit proper makes it into this game, but with Sakamoto at the helm again he might think its too lame and go with the shitty purple glow again.

I don't think the gravity suit appears in metroid II, but i think if it does they will put the glorious purple back

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
6GMr75j.png

Other m fucked things up though, because every guy in the game is like over a foot taller than her. If samus is 6'3 and wearing like 6 inch heels here, are you telling me anthony is close to 8ft tall?

latest

Samus being taller than a man? Absurd, she's just a woman!

i like both!

Details and legs are better in prime, visor and canon are better in returns! Shoulders are equals!

Hope they'll do a new design for prime 4 too!

6GMr75j.png

Other m fucked things up though, because every guy in the game is like over a foot taller than her. If samus is 6'3 and wearing like 6 inch heels here, are you telling me anthony is close to 8ft tall?

latest

I mean in a couple hundred years why not?

The average height is rising with greater nutrition.

I've often thought in the future human beings on average should all be in the six feet range even for women. After all improvements in science should allow base human beings to be in peak condition.

i like both!

Details and legs are better in prime, visor and canon are better in returns! Shoulders are equals!

Hope they'll do a new design for prime 4 too!

I really love getting new suits in the metroid games, even if most of the time it can be just a pain job, getting the phazon suit in prime or the light suit in prime 2 was a big highlight of the games for me.

Kindekuma

Banned

Other m fucked things up though, because every guy in the game is like over a foot taller than her. If samus is 6'3 and wearing like 6 inch heels here, are you telling me adam is close to 8ft tall?

You're expecting Other M to keep details in check? lol

Shhh, I'm helping develop the MSR OT here and checking formatting. Don't tell anyone our secret ;)

samusreturnstitlekssv0.png

For best enjoyment of this official thread, please use the Dark Theme! Also, this OT is NOT designed for mobile, it is best viewed on a desktop!

YemITmm.jpg

Developer: MercurySteam Entertainment / Nintendo
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: Nintendo 3DS
Release Date: September 15, 2017 (World-Wide)
Genre: Side-scrolling action platformer 'Metroidvania'
Stereoscopic 3D: Yes
amiibo: Yes
New Nintendo 3DS enhanced: No
Multiplayer: No
Demo: No
eShop Download Block Size: ????? blocks
Game Download/Official Site: Europe | North America | Japan
Game manual PDF: English | Japanese
Reviews: Here

jYwJQoI.jpg

Brave the hostile terrain of an alien planet teeming with vicious life forms as legendary bounty hunter Samus Aran. Her mission? Terminate the Metroid menace in this masterful reimagining of her 1991 Game Boy™ adventure.

Samus Aran's arsenal has been enhanced with new moves and abilities that are sure to help her face the deadly surprises that await. This intense, side-scrolling action platformer is a great entry point into the Metroid franchise and perfect for returning fans as well.

uj48kBg.png

PqvUNqI.jpg

P9kT1wr.png
4lIBBoa.png

onSsFie.png

FGAK189.jpg

mMngxKH.png

TUUUUUUUUUUBES

ldrOR8t.png

There's an almost medieval look to the new suits feet and arms. Would have liked to see that influence the helm and pauldrons more.

I prefer the Prime visor and pauldrons, but the rest is pretty good. I think Smash 4 has the best torso, crotch-area (?) and legs though.

Peru

Prime design was just so unbelievably good, I still spend some time looking at the Metroid Prime cover now and then.. too cool.

I dig it. Prime will probably always be my favorite look, but this is a sleek, stylized take that works pretty well. I like it a lot more than Other M's suit, and it's far superior to that hideous NLG concept piece.

No, but sakamoto wanted it to be taken very seriously.

This is even more ridiculous. Is anthony a giant?

latest

FYI, when you hotlink a Wikia image everyone else sees a postage stamp.

jdstorm

Banned
I know it has been a part of her design for a really long time. But we really need to ditch the shoulder pads. Its not the 1980s anymore.

6GMr75j.png

latest
*googles how much is 6'3" in human speak*

Holy shit 1.90 m!? She was built like an Amazon! Of course Other M would TDK that up! Question is why would the-- you know what? Never mind....

Five-foot-nothing waif Samus in Other M was the worst. Sakamoto couldn't tell his story about her being meek and submissive if she was a 6'3" superwoman, so he made her a tiny blonde girl who looked like she'd never exercised in her life. Gross gross gross. She'll always be a beefcake in my heart.

I adore the new design. It looks mechanical while also looking sleek and aggressive. The perfect blend of cartoon-like simplicity and what made Metroid Prime so good, with the extra touch of ruthlessness that someone with Samus' track record should have.

My new favorite trumping my old favorite, Metroid Prime 2/3 Varia Suit.

score01

Prefer the original suit from Metroid Prime. I don't mind the new one either but it seems a lot more flat and lacking in detail by comparison.

Top Bottom