• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Ben affleck admits to groping Hilarie Burton

maxxpower

It pisses the fuck out of me that Trump was so easily let off the hook when he is as much of a fucking monster as these people, and now he's the president!

Excuse YOU? No. I have NEVER done this to any woman. EVER. It helps that I'm gay but again, NO just NO. I'm sure there are straight men who have never done this either.
Calm down. Puck said that it happens everywhere, not that everyone does it. This is an absolutely widespread problem. Women who are harrased and assaulted by men are much more victims than dudes with sad persecution complexes.

mjc

Welp, fuck you too Ben. I guess Batman movie is officially not happening after this. Wouldnt be surprised if this is what finally blows up the DC verse or at least give it a soft reboot with a new Batman.

They'll just recast him and move forward.

Nope. He’ll get asked about it, apologize, stop being Batman and take a break.

Then people will forget.

More or less. As said in the other thread, Mel Gibson was welcomed back, not to mention others. He'll take a time out. People in Hollywood are too quick to forgive their own.

Excuse YOU? No. I have NEVER done this to any woman. EVER. It helps that I'm gay but again, NO just NO. I'm sure there are straight men who have never done this either.

You really doing a "not all men" thing here?

This happens in every industry. It's a fact.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Men everywhere do this. Everywhere.

I can appreciate that most men don't ever see or understand the experiences of women who get catcalled, groped and raped.

And when women are victimized, it's hard for them to see and trust the vast majority of men who would never dare.

It sounds to me that he tries to absolve Ben by saying all men does it.
No... you’re reading it wrong. The point is that we can’t stop at exposing Ben Affleck as garbage. We have to keep going and accept that this is an epidemic that isn’t exclusive to the film industry.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This response by Ben Affleck was so unexpected and tone-deaf, it's almost funny due to its absurdity. It's sad that it's in reference to some disgusting and vile shit, though.

It sounds like something his character in a Kevin Smith film would say.

Ploid 3.0

Batfleck was a mistake. A ton of Hollywood is all messed up. Thankfully I'm not that interested in their movies and tv shows anymore. I hope the cast and crew of Better Call Saul are on the up and up. That's all I need, even GOT is kinda boring to me now.

They didn't say all men, they said men everywhere grope women, this is true and not-exclusive to any industry.

Maybe WB got wind of all this Affleck shit early and that's why they want to toss him aside and recast?

I doubt it. It was the alcoholism and his general sense of unreliability as of late that probably got them spooked. He doesn't seem to be keeping in shape and all that

Not only does Hollywood have a short memory, they also don't really care that much at the end of the day

I think Ben can get out of this unscathed if his PR works on it, but also it's looking like just maybe the industry is having a culture shift towards holding some people accountable for this kind of shit

I dunno, we'll see

Astral Dog

Get em! No one in any industry should tolerate this shit. Not just Hollywood.

Not just Hollywood. Your local McDonalds. Best buy. Walgreens. Administrative offices all around the world. Anywhere there's a job that pays money and a power dynamic for scumbags to exploit.
Maybe its the Humans 👨

MIMIC

Banned
Men everywhere do this. Everywhere.

It sounds to me that he tries to absolve Ben by saying all men does it.

It happens in all industry. Then said it, it happens in all industry. Don't try to absolve Ben by saying all men does it.

Biggest misunderstanding of all time?

dc89

Yep. Everywhere. Every industry. Every country. Don't get it twisted.

Hollywood just has names you recognize.

Everywhere

Pretty sure Puck meant "men in all types of industries with power do this," not "95% of all men grope"

Cmon

Do you think sexual exploitation and harassment exists only in Hollywood?

I don't think he's saying that in support of Affleck's actions or to defend him, lol. He's right, this type of stuff happens all the time in every industry.

Oh I know it will happen in all walks of life. I guess I misconstrued the 'everywhere' aspect of the post.
I know he wasn't meaning every male but that my initial reaction so apologies.

Not just Hollywood. Your local McDonalds. Best buy. Walgreens. Administrative offices all around the world. Anywhere there's a job that pays money and a power dynamic for scumbags to exploit.
But remember, the real danger is women making false accusations and ending careers with an offhand remark.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I doubt it. It was the alcoholism and his general sense of unreliability as of late that probably got them spooked. He doesn't seem to be keeping in shape and all that

Not only does Hollywood have a short memory, they also don't really care that much at the end of the day

I think Ben can get out of this unscathed if his PR works on it, but also it's looking like just maybe the industry is having a culture shift towards holding some people accountable for this kind of shit

I dunno, we'll see

Yeah, whatever weird stuff was going on with him maybe getting booted or leaving, it had zero to do with this incident specifically.

This happened like 14 years ago and the reason he has to address it now is because Burton brought it up after Rose called him out for making a statement about Weinstein. There's like 6 degrees of shit going on that got us here lol.

Top Bottom