• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Ben affleck admits to groping Hilarie Burton

eNp1rRt.jpg

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/380401743198056448

Holy shit.

The Jason Momoa comment was a bad joke (not the same level as groping someone) from 2011 back when he starred in Game of Thrones, not the DCEU

But sure, the DCEU is what we should focus on here, instead of misogyny eh

No one actually thinks the DCEU is the cause of anything here.

We're also aware Momoa was joking. But the joke was in extremely poor taste, and doesn't help tear down rape culture. Both things can be true.

NH Apache

Banned

We're also aware Momoa was joking. But the joke was in extremely poor taste, and doesn't help tear down rape culture. Both things can be true.

And now it's brought up years later, possibly out of context and compared to actual assault because the internet is on a rampage.

Let's frame this as it actually is.

Ahasverus

The whole Momoa thing is ridiculous and feels like a mix of extremist outragers and anti DCEU sentiment, both of those are ridiculous.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
And now it's brought up years later, possibly out of context and compared to actual assault because the internet is on a rampage.

Funny enough, no one likes to point out that these kinds of rampages specifically cheapen actual assault accusations and are a major contributor to the culture of silence around sexual assault. The "I need my clicks so generate outrage" culture that has infested Social Justice is protected heavily because of tribalism and "my side can do no wrong" bullshit, when it's a huge problem when dealing with the code of silence around assault and how to help victims.

Aske

Yes. This shouldn't be about the DCEU, and that's the only reason people are bringing up Momoa.

People who lump him in for making a rape joke need to realise that it's a different discussion, and must be treated as such; because it's the kind of thing that makes people roll their eyes and downplay the assaults that should take the entire spotlight right now.

"Did Ben Affleck grope someone...? That's not cool."

"I dunno, but this SJW is also freaking out about Jason Momoa making a rape joke a bunch of years ago."

"Probably some Marvel fan. Guess it's nothing."

There's a ton of discussion to be had about the cultural ramifications of rape jokes, but doing it in the same breath as condemning the Afflecks of the world does a huge disservice to both issues.

This is probably a really stupid obvious question (I don't know shit about pop culture), but who was the child molestor director who fled to Europe?

Edit: Figured it out. Roman Polanski

Ashhong

It’s pretty telling that even now, in the heat of all this going down, these stars don’t want to name names. The system is fucked up

Raven117

Its good that people are coming forward...Hollywood has a long...long history of this.

Its about time they try and clean house,.

My bet is unfortunately, that the cases that do come forward are like cockroaches.

For every one you see there are hundreds more that'll never be seen.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

I don't disagree. I just find comments like "The DCEU is a mistake blah blah" to be really trite and honestly annoying.

Damn. Thanks good guy Snake.

It's pretty telling that even now, in the heat of all this going down, these stars don't want to name names. The system is fucked up
I noticed that too. Even the large, burly men feel threatened enough to not name names.

Nice :)

The "I'm just not gay", as if being gay would have justified that abuse of power, is a little weird.
The context explains what he means. He says he totally doesn't fault/judge people who do use their sex appeal to get ahead if that's what they really want, so to me this implies he might have been tempted to do that, but since he's not gay, it couldn't ever happen.

At least, I think that's what he meant... Not that "if the abuser had been attractive to these women it wouldn't be so bad". Or I hope so, anyway...

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
It's pretty telling that even now, in the heat of all this going down, these stars don't want to name names. The system is fucked up

The legal consequences of doing so without any legal-level proof is very brutal - For instance, had anyone whose friend had been attacked by Weinstein but was under a settlement / NDA said something publicly, their friend would be financially and career-wise completely destroyed. Not only would the entire "libel / slander" thing get used, but the NDA would have been broken and if the reports are correct, those NDAs had life destroying consequences.

Plus, if history is any indication, Crews / Hayter would not get much help from society.

EDIT:
The context explains what he means. He says he totally doesn't fault/judge people who do use their sex appeal to get ahead if that's what they really want, so to me this implies he might have been tempted to do that, but since he's not gay, it couldn't ever happen.

At least, I think that's what he meant... Not that "if the abuser had been attractive to these women it wouldn't be so bad". Or I hope so, anyway...

Yeah - the attempt was to avoid slut shaming. Was a good call on his part to put that in.

Budi

The "I'm just not gay", as if being gay would have justified that abuse of power, is a little weird.

It's such a horrific situation to be in, but clearly it's so common. On that note the rumours, and dubious photographs, surrounding Bryan Singer are bound to catch up to him sometime soon - I wonder if Hayter has any insight regarding that.
If only for this one time, people could take into consideration the huge wall of text and not focus on something there's a chance they can find questionable. People, give me this one time atleast. He shared his own experience and showed support to victims of harassment and abuse. And yet...

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
If only for this one time, people could take into consideration the huge wall of text and not focus on something there's a chance they can find questionable. People, give me this one time atleast. He shared his own experience and showed support to others. And yet...

No good deed goes unpunished.

Kind of surprised for the props to Hayter's post. In addition to the "I'm just not gay" thing, I didn't care for the "Now I'm a huge dude with a black belt and have fought off similar assaults before" comments. Just seemed tone deaf.

KHarvey16

Kind of surprised for the props to Hayter's post. In addition to the "I'm just not gay" thing, I didn't care for the "Now I'm a huge dude with a black belt and have fought off similar assaults before" comments. Just seemed tone deaf.

If you really, really stretch to force it into something almost maybe sort of off the mark ever so slightly.

Or you could read the whole thing and realize everything he’s saying and expressing is 100% fine.

Litan

Try reading the whole thing, maybe?

KHarvey16

I did. Didn't change my opinion of those sections in the slightest.

I don’t understand. The guy was making advances and he said no because he wasn’t interested. He said a big difference between his experience and those of many women coming forward was that he was not smaller than the other person and wasn’t scared for his well being.

I don't understand. The guy was making advances and he said no because he wasn't interested. He said a big difference between his experience and those of many women coming forward was that he was not smaller than the other person and wasn't scared for his well being.

It 's the way he does it- the level of detail(6'1, martial artist, prone to violence in these situations) is irrelevant and just comes off as bragging. That IMO takes away part of the power of earlier part of the story. His story would be more impactful if he doesn't go out of his way to talk about how much of a physical badass that he used to be.

TDLink

Please note, this is only in reference to comments like those from Momoa and Hayter:

Humans aren't perfect guys. You can't hang on their every word. Let someone talk long enough and they'll probably say something eventually that someone out there could take offense to. I'm willing to wager every single person in this topic is guilty of it at some point in their life, some more frequently than others. Because it's human fucking nature.

Nothing Momoa or Hayter said paint them as bad people. You can't (or at least shouldn't) be willing to burn someone at the stake over whatever small comment you view as insensitive, especially when it's not the point of their overall message or it's out of context.

Hayter made a very good statement and told his own story. That's another good thing to have out in the world, hanging on one sentence of it because it is possibly insensitive to some people is missing the entire point.

In Momoa's case the joke wasn't great but it's all about context and reading the room. People in that room did laugh at it. Because his character on the show, which the panel was for, was literally a rapist barbarian. Typically that kind of thing would never fly. And yeah, rape should never be trivialized. But his character literally rapes another right at the start of that show. And everyone in that room knew that, because they were fans of the show. He's poking fun at that. That doesn't make him a bad person, in fact due to the context it doesn't even make it inappropriate. If you want to take real issue with it you have to take issue with the show for depicting it in the first place. Then you're down the rabbit hole of well, it was adapted from a book... so it shouldn't have been written in the first place. Then... can we not have fiction where rape occurs? It's such a stupid slippery slope.

People aren't perfect. This witch hunting is so stupid. It's also completely separate from what the topic is actually about: Ben Affleck groping someone.

KHarvey16

It 's the way he does it- the details (6'1, martial artist, prone to violence in these situations) is irrelevant and just comes off as bragging. That IMO takes away part of the power of earlier part of the story. His story has more power IMO if he doesn't go out of his way to talk about how much of a physical badass that he used to be.

I think you’re interpreting all of that completely wrong. He’s explaining why he doesn’t feel his experience is necessarily equivalent given the fact he wasn’t afraid for his safety.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If only for this one time, people could take into consideration the huge wall of text and not focus on something there's a chance they can find questionable. People, give me this one time atleast. He shared his own experience and showed support to victims of harassment and abuse. And yet...
Right.

I mean, I'm OK with holding people accountable, if they have good intentions but fuck up their wording or come across as tone-deaf, they are not exempt from criticism. But right now we need all the allies we can get and there was nothing really objectionable in his post.

I think you're interpreting all of that completely wrong. He's explaining why he doesn't feel his experience is necessarily equivalent given the fact he wasn't afraid for his safety.
Right.

That said, if Harvey Weinstein had been a small man, perhaps he would have indeed more easily refused, but somehow I doubt it would have made such a huge difference. He was frightening mostly because of his power, rather than just his size alone. But, his size was probably a small factor at least. Another factor that Hayer brought up was that he had already been featured in the movie in question, vs. the actresses who were trying to get work, so he wasn't as fearful for his career. It wouldn't have made Weinstein's behaviour any better if he had harassed women whose movies had already been filmed, but no doubt the victims wouldn't feel as intimidated at least.

Budi

It 's the way he does it- the level of detail(6'1, martial artist, prone to violence in these situations) is irrelevant and just comes off as bragging. That IMO takes away part of the power of earlier part of the story. His story would be more impactful if he doesn't go out of his way to talk about how much of a physical badass that he used to be.
Can't you really find anyone else regarding this Hollywood debacle you could look down to and judge? Like people sexually harassing and abusing others? Shows what you care about, not about the victims for sure. It's frankly disgusting and you should be ashamed. This isn't for your entertainment.
Right.

I mean, I'm OK with holding people accountable, if they have good intentions but fuck up their wording or come across as tone-deaf, they are not exempt from criticism. But right now we need all the allies we can get and there was nothing really objectionable in his post.
Sure. But I just find it bit pervasive to start picking apart messages that show support. And also share a story of unwanted advances. Like we have enough bad guys in this and more will hopefully be exposed in the future and people get what they deserve. It's tasteless to me to start bickering about this. I find it to be tone-deaf in itself.

I think you’re interpreting all of that completely wrong. He’s explaining why he doesn’t feel his experience is necessarily equivalent given the fact he wasn’t afraid for his safety.

yeah this was my interpretation as well,
basically saying 'if i felt this threatened despite knowing that i can defend myself, imagine how it must feel for someone who cant'

Top Bottom