• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VEGA64 vs NEXT GEN CONSOLES

So, what do you think? How long can vega 64 still be good for 1080p 60fps?

• 1 year

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 2 years

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • 3 years

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • 4 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 years

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • something else

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
So, apparently next gen consoles are coming. Ps5 is rumored to have 9,2 tflops and xsex is rumored to have 12,4 tflops.
So I'll throw in a fact here. My vega 64 has 12,6 tflops (single precision). So my gpu alone has more tflops then a whole next gen console. But this doesn't matter. I'm just flexing a little bit.
I'm wondering. Will my vega 64 be enough for next gen games? How long before I need to upgrade.
I play at 1080p 60 fps always. Sometimes I use AMD vsr to run the game at 1440p or higher and then downsample it to 1080p to reap the aa benefits.
So, what do you think? How long can vega 64 still be good for 1080p 60fps?

pawel86ck

Banned
Vega 64 will be slower even compared to 9TF Navi, not to mention it has only 8GB and no HW RT. There's no way this GPU will match PS5 / XSX results, however it should still run games at lower settings for the next few years.

It will be good as long as you can tolerate AMDs driver issues. I sold my Radeon card a few months ago because of the constant crashes, now that it's gone my Ryzen system is 100% stable, so I say this as a fan if you will.

Vega 64 will be slower even compared to 9TF Navi, not to mention it has only 8GB and no HW RT. There's no way this GPU will match PS5 / XSX results, however it should still run games at lower settings for the next few years.
Man, what interesting times we're living in when 8gb of vram is considered not enough.
Fascinating.

Great Hair

Banned
Just disable raytracing in future games, should be fast enough for 1080p, 1440p30. Not 5 years but 2 to 3? Depends how cpu intensive next gen games are though.

pawel86ck

Banned
Man, what interesting times we're living in when 8gb of vram is considered not enough.
Fascinating.
8GB is enough for current PS4 / Xbox one ports, but you have asked about next gen PS5 / XSX ports.

In 2012 my GTX 680 2GB was considered high end and I thought 2GB is insane amount of VRAM. Just one year later when PS4 / xbox one launched my GPU was VRAM limited in more and more games. I really think the same scenario will happen again with PS5 / XSX ports.

Last edited:

Ellery

1080p 60fps is not a problem.

It also helps a lot if you are smart about graphics settings, because some on Very High/Ultra do absolutely nothing but tank your performance.

Sorry to hear that. There often are settings that tank performance by 30% on ultra and make no visual difference like Volumetric Lighting in AC Odyssey.

If you "always roll ultra" then maybe you should buy an Ultra graphics card like the 2080 Ti or Titan RTX. Or is that not the way you roll?
It is how I roll. But I prefer team red. Team green is overpriced and I just can't justify the 2080ti's price. It's ridiculous.

Ballthyrm

Fascinating.

TBH it will all depends on the speed of the SSD the next gen console have, and the speed of the RAM.
8gb can be enough if they can stream way faster because of the SSD.

I don't think we have really seen what a SSD can bring if it is native and assumed by engine programmers.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Title says "VS next gen consoles" but the poll is about how long Vega64 will be good for 1080p 60fps? And then you add Ultra settings as a requirement (consoles never use Ultra settings).

pawel86ck

Banned
TBH it will all depends on the speed of the SSD the next gen console have, and the speed of the RAM.
8gb can be enough if they can stream way faster because of the SSD.

I don't think we have really seen what a SSD can bring if it is native and assumed by engine programmers.
Next gen should have around 20GB RAM (16GB for games and 4GB for OS) plus ultra fast SDD optimised for games (with HW decompression most likely). So developers will be able to load more than 8GB VRAM, and on top of that stream HUGE amount of textures more thanks to ultra fast streaming SDD.

Most people on PC have SDD drives, but not nearly as fast (even 980 evo pro 3.5GB/s loads games 3x slower compared to XSX according to Dealer Gaming sources at MS and PS5 SDD according to leaks is even faster). So how developers will port their games on PC with much inferior streaming speed? They will increase VRAM requirements and load times.

There is no future for 8GB cards and I expext Ampere and RDNA2 GPU to have around 16-20GB.

Last edited:
Top Bottom