• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegan community thread - Give Peas a Chance

Fuchsdh

Why are people arguing about livestock raising using more resources than consuming plants? Eating a higher trophic level is always going to take more energy, that's high school biology.

The baking egg substitute is interesting. I always assumed that the eggs were in there as part of a reaction, not just for texture's sake. That said all the vegan baked goods I've had have been horrible and not worth it.

There are loads of great places in vancouver that are vegetarian/vegan (even some raw vegan).
Also, most places have at least a few things on the menu I can eat, the only real difficult style is Chinese food, usually.

Nice,Vegetarian eating out is easy, but I have a pretty weird strict vegetarian diet, I am onion intolerant, soy intolerant and I cant eat much dairy. Once I go vegan, I wont be able to eat out much. In boston we have a few vegan restaurants, but not much.

EmiPrime

Why are people arguing about livestock raising using more resources than consuming plants? Eating a higher trophic level is always going to take more energy, that's high school biology.

The baking egg substitute is interesting. I always assumed that the eggs were in there as part of a reaction, not just for texture's sake. That said all the vegan baked goods I've had have been horrible and not worth it.

For the texture and for binding.

I bake fantastic cakes and there are lovely vegan baked foods in London.

Pinkuss

There are loads of great places in vancouver that are vegetarian/vegan (even some raw vegan).
Also, most places have at least a few things on the menu I can eat, the only real difficult style is Chinese food, usually.

Odd; in the UK most Chinese places are the easiest. Thai's even easier. (And the odd Japanese place I've found always does Vegan stuff).

Usually go for the local Thai places or a Pizza joint and get extra toppings and no cheese.

Plus we have an all you can eat Veggie place; the first person to book gets to choose from any world theme. 90% Vegan too (plus the chef will bring anything he can make Vegan separate to your table).

Nether!

Nice,Vegetarian eating out is easy, but I have a pretty weird strict vegetarian diet, I am onion intolerant, soy intolerant and I cant eat much dairy. Once I go vegan, I wont be able to eat out much. In boston we have a few vegan restaurants, but not much.

Oh, that's too bad.
On the plus side you won't drop as much cash eating out all the time!
I find quite a few of my favourite places are also quite pricey.

Nether!

Odd; in the UK most Chinese places are the easiest. Thai even easier.

Usually go for the local Thai places or a Pizza joint and get extra toppings and no cheese.

Plus we have an all you can eat Veggie place; the first person to book gets to choose from any world theme. 90% Vegan too (plus the chef will bring anything he can make Vegan separate to your table).

Thai is usually fine, but what are you usually ordering at Chinese that's vegan? I find most of the vegetable based dishes (usually just stir fry vegetables) are prepared in chicken/pork stock.
It has been a while since I went for Chinese though.

Pinkuss

Thai is usually fine, but what are you usually ordering at Chinese that's vegan? I find most of the vegetable based dishes (usually just stir fry vegetables) are prepared in chicken/pork stock.
It has been a while since I went for Chinese though.

The Chinese I go to around here advertise as Vegetarian and will omit any dairy/fish/meat if used. I ordered my Vegan housemate curry sauce and was advised they cooked in the same pan as chicken (but it didn't contain it). Just have to specify no meat/dairy/fish and most get that.

Daigoro

this thread has gone much better than most threads about veganism, and yet the same ol shit rears its head ad nauseum.

maybe im reading too much into the OP itself (correct me if im wrong OP), but i thought this was shaped to be more of a community thread for people who are either vegan/veg, or are interested in the lifestyle. not yet another explain, defend, argue the merits of a vegan lifestyle thread.

it would be nice JUST ONCE to not have to deal with the typical prodding, poking, and pointing out flaws in the choices that people make about their own lives that accompany every single thread about the subject. is this asking too much?

do the LGBT and similar lifestyle threads have to put up with similar stuff? maybe they do, im not sure. honest question. not on the same level or at the same volume, im guessing.

nice of Stump to post what he did, but seriously folks. do we ever get a break?

I'm not saying that they are suffering from a lack of protein. I'm only interested in how closely they've thought about their moral philosophy and what it means to act congruently with it.

I personally think that the world should adopt insect protein as a way of reducing ecological pressures as protein requirements grow the world over. And I think that insect consumption falls quite well in line with vegan philosophy... at least on some level. So it seems to me that the veganism movement is a good vector for society as a whole to get a foot hold into the introduction of more ethical protein substitutions.

For what it's worth - I haven't tried any insect dishes myself... but I'd be more than happy to give it a go if there was some well received dish from a fairly broad community of eaters.

simply put, insects are animals. eating insects absolutely does not fit in with a vegan philosophy. not sure why you think that it does. you are either confused or trolling.

protein is not difficult to come by. it is not hard to get more than enough protein with a standard vegan diet. no insects required.

In regards to (b) you are generalizing as well. I know plenty of vegans that don't get enough protein. Some do and some don't.

let me rephrase: a vegan diet is not inherently protein deficient. it is very easy to get more than enough protein if you eat even a reasonably balanced diet.

not sure how you know about the details about so many peoples protein intake, but ill give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you have some real world information about this subject.

Daigoro

The Chinese I go to around here advertise as Vegetarian and will omit any dairy/fish/meat if used. I ordered my Vegan housemate curry sauce and was advised they cooked in the same pan as chicken (but it didn't contain it). Just have to specify no meat/dairy/fish and most get that.

did you check out the link i posted for you per your request?

blackflag

let me rephrase: a vegan diet is not inherently protein deficient. it is very easy to get more than enough protein if you eat even a reasonably balanced diet.

not sure how you know about the details about so many peoples protein intake, but ill give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you have some real world information about this subject.

My girlfriend and some of her friends. It frustrates me so much. She doesn't eat nuts. I'm happy when she occasionally eats tofu but I'm trying to get her to eat a block a day.

She hikes several miles almost every day and lifts weights and I know for a fact doesn't get enough protein.

I agree vegan diet isn't inherently protein deficient; just in my experience, I know several that eat way too many carbs and not enough protein and either wonder why they aren't losing weight or aren't gaining muscle.

Pinkuss

did you check out the link i posted for you per your request?
Yeah; sorry... bookmarked (plus the nice other links I've been given... more then merrier). I've got my stuff for half of it but not doing Falafel for a few days so updates soon (I like to make a day of it as do loads for both lunch and tea) :)

The Vegan dad site I've been perusing too is good; the tofu stuff all looks ace (and better than the deep fried stuff I buy and just add to noodles).

Anyways; bed... and agree with all that this is better without the repeated debates we all seem to have and more just a Vegan chat (with non Vegans welcome of course).

do the LGBT and similar lifestyle threads have to put up with similar stuff? maybe they do, im not sure. honest question. not on the same level or at the same volume, im guessing.
Maybe (probably?) not the community thread, but almost any other thread that touches on it gets some ugly shit thrown around. The "LGBT gangs/gay mafia" jokes come from what people seriously posted, for instance. I'm also not sure I'd compare the two, given some fundamental differences, nor is it terribly productive to speculate who suffers more.

Certainly, though, I think tighter moderation here and in other threads would be warranted. No one deserves to have people act like assholes towards them like this.

Hemp milk is so good. I drank a quart by myself last night.

I'm thinking of phasing out almond milk.

They do some crazy things in California where they ship in bees that have to be on antibiotics so they can pollinate the almond trees. Wild pollination isn't enough to meet the demand for almonds across america (and the world).

Daigoro

My girlfriend and some of her friends. It frustrates me so much. She doesn't eat nuts. I'm happy when she occasionally eats tofu but I'm trying to get her to eat a block a day.

She hikes several miles almost every day and lifts weights and I know for a fact doesn't get enough protein.

I agree vegan diet isn't inherently protein deficient; just in my experience, I know several that eat way too many carbs and not enough protein and either wonder why they aren't losing weight or aren't gaining muscle.

i see. just because someone has a shitty diet doesnt necessarily mean they are protein deficient, but hey a shitty diet is a shitty diet!

there are lots of other ways to get protein besides nuts, legumes/all sorts of beans (especially yummy lentils!) have a ton. do a quick google search and you'll find lots of other sources of non meat/dairy protein.

eating right isnt complicated, but it does take some effort. im sure most people could eat healthier in general (myself included), but i think protein deficiency is probably one of the lesser concerns unless a persons diet is really really terrible.

Yeah; sorry... bookmarked (plus the nice other links I've been given... more then merrier). I've got my stuff for half of it but not doing Falafel for a few days so updates soon (I like to make a day of it as do loads for both lunch and tea) :)

The Vegan dad site I've been perusing too is good; the tofu stuff all looks ace (and better than the deep fried stuff I buy and just add to noodles).

Anyways; bed... and agree with all that this is better without the repeated debates we all seem to have and more just a Vegan chat (with non Vegans welcome of course).

oh good. both of those sites have really really good recipes. hope some folks will find them useful. seriously guys plant powered kitchen (Dreena Burton), and Vegan Dad blog. you wont be disappointed if you check these sites out. i have no affiliation, just a real fan of these wonderful vegan recipes.

and yes, a bit of a refuge would be nice!

Maybe (probably?) not the community thread, but almost any other thread that touches on it gets some ugly shit thrown around. The "LGBT gangs/gay mafia" jokes come from what people seriously posted, for instance. I'm also not sure I'd compare the two, given some fundamental differences, nor is it terribly productive to speculate who suffers more.

Certainly, though, I think tighter moderation here and in other threads would be warranted. No one deserves to have people act like assholes towards them like this.

yep. not talking about the random bash thread and drive by's, but i would hope that a community thread made with such love like the OP would be mostly free of the bullshit. go back and look at every thread with vegan and vegetarian in the title and you'll see what im talking about. its incessant.

and yes there are big differences between making the choice to become vegan and being LGBT of course. no one need take offense, just a making a very broad generalization about lifestyles (not breaking it down to choices made, or comparing the cultures, etc.) you know what im trying to say.

Just to give a contribution:

Larabar make some really good fruit and nut bars. As someone who rarely eats snack bars of any kind (most of the stuff in stores, like Nutrigrain or Quaker Oats granola bars, just taste awful to me), I was really surprised at how good these are. Not all of the ones they make are vegan, so do make sure to check (Edit: Looking back through, I can't find any that aren't, but I thought I had one that wasn't. Can't remember it though, sorry.). But the ones I tried (Apple Pie, Paanut Butter Cookie, Cherry Pie) were quite good. You can find 'em on Amazon (haven't seen them in stores.)

yep. not talking about the random bash thread and drive by's, but i would hope that a community thread made with such love like the OP would be mostly free of the bullshit. go back and look at every thread with vegan and vegetarian in the title and you'll see what im talking about. its incessant.

and yes there are big differences between making the choice to become vegan and being LGBT of course. no one need take offense, just a making a very broad generalization about lifestyles (not breaking it down to choices made, or comparing the cultures, etc.) you know what im trying to say.
Yeah, I feel ya. Hopefully once the thread has been around longer, and with more mod intervention when it gets rowdy, the worst of it will die down as people just come to accept it and leave it be instead of shitting it up. Best of luck to you and everyone else.

About 5 weeks ago I decided to transition to a plant-based diet, solely for health reasons.

Long story (hopefully) short, for the last 3 years I had a job that provided a stipend for all my meals, way more than I could ever use. I was really indulgent, and of course gained a lot of weight and cholesterol eating tons of meat, butter, etc. Add to that that for the majority of my childhood I was very picky, so my diet essentially consisted of bread, cheese, and fruits for about 16 years.

I was having dinner with a colleague a few months ago at a nice steakhouse, and he ordered a salad. I asked if he was vegan and his reply was "not really, it's just that meat isn't all that appealing anymore after I read this book (which I'm sure many of you here are familiar with), The China Study". Combined with my slowly mounting fear of my poor eating habits biting me in the ass, it was time for a change.

While I think the book has some flaws, it resonated with me, I've seen a good family friend completely transform his health (not to mention his body) after visiting Dr. Ornish, who follows much of the same principles of a plant-based diet.

The transition has actually been much easier than I thought; I don't crave meat or cheese much, and my girlfriend thankfully is taking the plunge with me (she was already vegetarian).

Anyway, subscribed, and thanks for sharing so many great resources.

A few questions for those who have been doing this awhile:

What are some of your favorite breakfast meals?
Any recommendations for OOTB snacks for when you're entertaining?

dude

dude

Oatmeal or scrambled tofu with some veggies (like broccoli or spinach etc.) are my favs. They don't take a lot of time to make and are delicious.

Also, I found out a new Vega delicatessen was opened right next to my apartment - And they have the must amazing almond cheese ever. I now have a place to get my morning coffee and sandwich :)

Just wondering what vegans feel about accidentally eating thousands of insects and microscopic organisms that they cannot see? Or how about killing insects all together when washing your lettuce?

V_Arnold

Just wondering what vegans feel about accidentally eating thousands of insects and microscopic organisms that they cannot see? Or how about killing insects all together when washing your lettuce?

This is gonna be good! You caught them all, pants down :D*

*Nah. One cannot worry about something that he cant affect. Rephrase the question to "would vegans promote technology that allows them to eat with even less killing involved", and the answer is YES, every single time.

dude

dude

My troll senses are tingling, but I'll answer anyway:
1. Microscopic organisms can be regarded as plants, which have been discussed in the thread before.

2. Insects are a matter of debate among vegans. But anyway, let us for now just go with the simplest argument (but there are many many more) - Even if we should minimize the harm done to insects, we can't not eat. That doesn't change anything regarding eating from industries who not only harvest insect-killing crops, but also kill billions of animals in a variety of cruel ways to produce meat, milk, eggs and other animal products. The idea is to cause the least amount of harm possible.

MilkyJoe

My troll senses are tingling, but I'll answer anyway:
1. Microscopic organisms can be regarded as plants, which have been discussed in the thread before.

2. Insects are a matter of debate among vegans. But anyway, let us for now just go with the simplest argument (but there are many many more) - Even if we should minimize the harm done to insects, we can't not eat. That doesn't change anything regarding eating from industries who not only harvest insect-killing crops, but also kill billions of animals in a variety of cruel ways to produce meat, milk, eggs and other animal products. The idea is to cause the least amount of harm possible.

Due to all the mice, voles, ground birds, eggs in nests, baby foxes etc, that combine harvesters kill during harvest, do Vegans eat grain based products that are harvested in a different fashion?

V_Arnold

Due to all the mice, voles, ground birds, eggs in nests, baby foxes etc, that combine harvesters kill during harvest, do Vegans eat grain based products that are harvested in a different fashion?

Again, let us compare the "kill count" of eating 100g rice and the kil count of 100g meat for which you needed to feed n*100g crops to that animal that was rised.

The question is the cruelty of N compared to M*N+X, where M is always greater than one. N is always smaller, and it is the lesser evil.

MilkyJoe

Again, let us compare the "kill count" of eating 100g rice and the kil count of 100g meat for which you needed to feed n*100g crops to that animal that was rised.

The question is the cruelty of N compared to M*N+X, where M is always greater than one. N is always smaller, and it is the lesser evil.

The lesser evil would be to grow your own food to avoid the practice, so you need to add another part to the equation;

M*N+X
C

Where C = Convenience

EmiPrime

Just a little moderation guideline for this thread:

Good Posts
- If you're a non-vegan, you are welcome here
- If you're a non-vegetarian, you are welcome here
- If your primary reason for being here is that you're a non-vegan interested in learning how vegan people think about issues surrounding veganism (for example, the oyster debate or issues surrounding locovore consumption versus imported vegetables as they relate to environmental veganism, or even if you want to see what vegans think of vegetarians or omnivores who are trying to reduce their meat consumption or issues like factory versus free-range farming), you are welcome here. AbsoluteBro's discussion above seems mostly pretty good because it's coming from a position of basic respect and genuine curiosity and dialogue.

Bad Posts
- If you are basically in this thread because you don't like or disagree with vegans and want to challenge them, that's not necessarily respectful or productive. Like, if your question is "Aren't vegans unhealthy hypocrites who are just shrill to other people also peta sucks", that's not really a question and it's not really welcome here. There are other spaces on GAF where you might be able to have this debate. Not that this space has to be uniformly positive; obviously if someone makes a false claim then you can feel free to correct it, but basically this should be a space where vegans don't need to feel like they have to continually defend their basic premises. I think some of the people posting in the first 100 posts seemed to be people who more wanted to have a Veganism versus Meat-friendly diet debate, and I'm not sure the level of respect we'd hope to see in this thread was present.

Vegans: How To Avoid This Thread Sucking
- If someone posts something inflammatory, don't respond. Report it. Just send the post URL to a mod. I am volunteering. If you don't want to contact me or feel like I'm not around, I would recommend you contact either charlequin (who is either vegetarian or vegan, I can't remember which, but who certainly would be a sympathetic ear) or Kabouter or Mumei. This isn't to say other mods can't help you, but rather if you don't feel super comfortable, I think you'd find those names are good choices for this issue.
- Please don't report posts that are respectful and don't need to be reported. Someone saying, for instance, that they don't like meat substitutes and favour vegan dishes that don't try to substitute meat, is not being disrespectful or challenging or rude. That's just an opinion.

Reposting this for a new page.

If you are just here to start drive by arguments rather than to discuss and learn you would do well to leave.

Celegus

I'm still a fiend for breakfast cereal, though I like the healthier ones better and don't care for the sweet ones I ate as a kid. I make my own milk in the blender: 4.5 cups of water, a tablespoon(ish) of raw almond butter, and a tablespoon of hemp protein. Do that twice and fill a pitcher, and I'm good for a week, super easy.

Denzar

Great thread!

Vegetarian here. I want to go vegan, but I'm having trouble letting cheese go. It's so tasty and I haven't found a decent substitute over here.

Second problem is that there is fuck all of vegan alternatives in Bruges. It's a city filled with tourist and narrowminded fucks. We've got 1 store where they sell vegan products, and the prices there are INSANE. I just can't afford to shop there, my budget just doesn't allow it.

I try to be as vegan as possible, within my budget. Any tips you guys can give me?

The other problem I have is that I'm under constant fire from non-vegan/veggie people around me. At first I was able to scoff it off, but I've reached a certain point in my life where I just don't want to take those random, bullshit statements anymore. Any tips on handling that?

Thanks Vegan-GAF!

MilkyJoe

Great thread!

Vegetarian here. I want to go vegan, but I'm having trouble letting cheese go. It's so tasty and I haven't found a decent substitute over here.

Second problem is that there is fuck all of vegan alternatives in Bruges. It's a city filled with tourist and narrowminded fucks. We've got 1 store where they sell vegan products, and the prices there are INSANE. I just can't afford to shop there, my budget just doesn't allow it.

I try to be as vegan as possible, within my budget. Any tips you guys can give me?

The other problem I have is that I'm under constant fire from non-vegan/veggie people around me. At first I was able to scoff it off, but I've reached a certain point in my life where I just don't want to take those random, bullshit statements anymore. Any tips on handling that?

Thanks Vegan-GAF!

Do amazon have products for you in Belgium? You will be surprized what you can pick up on their website these days.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr...n+food&ie=UTF8&qid=1404910476&rnid=1642204031

ngower

Ahh, Vegan-GAF!!!

I'm coming up on five months and it's been a lot easier than I thought. That said, I find myself mostly eating salads or Trader Joe's vegan food. Any go-to super simple, super quick recipes? Often I'm ravenous when I get home from work and the last thing I want to do is spend an hour soaking cashews or make some elaborate miso or something like that.

Vegan Stoner cookbook has some amazing recipes. The website is great, I've been meaning to get the actual book which is cheap and brilliantly illustrated.

EhoaVash

I do respect you vegans, a lot of vegan dishes I ate at a temple are very delicious. But I don't think I can live without milk and egg products :/ which is why I'm mostly a vegetarian...well i try to be._.

ngower

Yeah I've made a few recipes of theirs. It's always hit or miss, though. The vegan cheesecake they have is pretty awesome.

EmiPrime

Great thread!

Thanks Vegan-GAF!

I am not sure what it's like in Belgium but when I am in France I am able to get plenty of vegan food from supermarkets. I never need to go to health food shops.

As for annoying people, I just make it clear that I don't want to talk about this to them and let them make a massive arse of themselves if they persist.

Ahh, Vegan-GAF!!!

I'm coming up on five months and it's been a lot easier than I thought. That said, I find myself mostly eating salads or Trader Joe's vegan food. Any go-to super simple, super quick recipes? Often I'm ravenous when I get home from work and the last thing I want to do is spend an hour soaking cashews or make some elaborate miso or something like that.

Just knock up a quick pasta, gnocchi, potato or rice dish. Stir frys are good too. Just chop up a bunch of vegetables and chuck them in a pan with some sort of sauce and a carb.

Celegus

Ahh, Vegan-GAF!!!

LEFTOVERS! I cook in bulk most of the time so that I have lots and lots of delicious leftovers for quicker meals. I rarely ever cook enough for just one meal, the time it takes just isn't worth it most of the time. It helps that soups and stews are some of my favorite foods around, and extremely adaptable depending on the vegetables I currently have.

EmiPrime

LEFTOVERS! I cook in bulk most of the time so that I have lots and lots of delicious leftovers for quicker meals. I rarely ever cook enough for just one meal, the time it takes just isn't worth it most of the time. It helps that soups and stews are some of my favorite foods around, and extremely adaptable depending on the vegetables I currently have.

I do this a lot too as most of the time I am cooking for just myself. It makes sense to cook 3-4 portions worth in one go.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I just found put that turmeric helps your stomach breakdown lentils the other day. It was very intriguing.

Re: egg baking substitute.. I mostly use applesauce for things like cookies and pies. Homemade and hyper blended it's similar viscosity to an egg.

ngower

I used to do this a lot, but sort of rescinded into eating chili for a week! There's only so much of the same food you can eat!

Celegus

I just found put that turmeric helps your stomach breakdown lentils the other day. It was very intriguing
Turmeric is good for all kinds of things, one of the healthiest spices around. I have an enormous container of it on the back of my stove and use it all the time. Great flavor too!

I used to do this a lot, but sort of rescinded into eating chili for a week! There's only so much of the same food you can eat!

Thankfully I pretty much never get tired of the same thing. I'll make a huge pot of chili that will get me lunch every day of the week, and be just as pumped about it on Day 6 as I was on Day 1. I wouldn't make the same thing for the following week or anything crazy like that though.

You can buy 'egg replacer' which seems to be mostly potato starch? I can't remember what else is in there. Another decent thing to use is xanthan gum.

Wiktor

I'm not a vegan, but I love threads like those and vegan sites, because they make it a lot easier to increase the ammount of vegetables in diet and some of those recipees are damn delicious. So nice thread, keep on good work :D

i have been vegan for almost a year now (at the end of july it will be). It has been pretty easy. The biggest problem i am having now is finding a decent replacement to my boots. Im used to allen Edmonds and high quality leather shoes that look nice. Vegan shoes got shit on that, and i dont know if i can switch.

my favorite burger recipe

1v2CGiW.jpg
1 1/4 cups cooked, cooled brown rice (see recipe notes above)
1 cup cooked brown or green lentils, cooled, drained well
1 cup shredded beets
1/2 teaspoon salt
Fresh black pepper
1 teaspoon thyme, rubbed between your fingers
1/2 teaspoon ground fennel (or finely crushed fennel seed)
1 teaspoon dry mustard
3 tablespoons very finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons smooth almond butter
1/2 cup very fine breadcrumbs

Olive oil for the pan

Update on my avocado alfredo sauce recipe:
No pics, but it came out delicious. I forgot to buy parsley for the garnish, but it was so tasty. Even my boyfriend, who rarely loves food, said it was delicious. I didn't add any other veggies, but next time I'll probably include mushrooms and asparagus. It was creamy and incredibly filling, especially with black bean spaghetti.

The recipe from my original post:
Avocado Alfredo sauce:
1 Ripe Avocado
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 clove garlic
1 1/2 tsb salt
2 tbs olive oil
1/4 cup basil
cracked black pepper​
Process/pulverize in food processor until smooth. Garnished with fresh chopped parsley.

Update on my avocado alfredo sauce recipe:
No pics, but it came out delicious. I forgot to buy parsley for the garnish, but it was so tasty. Even my boyfriend, who rarely loves food, said it was delicious. I didn't add any other veggies, but next time I'll probably include mushrooms and asparagus. It was creamy and incredibly filling, especially with black bean spaghetti.

The recipe from my original post:
That sounds pretty good. I'm a sucker for avocados, so I may have to see if I can scrounge up the ingredients to give this a shot.

I'm not a vegan, but I love threads like those and vegan sites, because they make it a lot easier to increase the ammount of vegetables in diet and some of those recipees are damn delicious. So nice thread, keep on good work :D
Likewise, I know I need to eat healthier and expand my horizons a bit so I'll probably lurk for interesting recipes or foods.

Celegus

That sounds pretty good. I'm a sucker for avocados, so I may have to see if I can scrounge up the ingredients to give this a shot.

Likewise, I know I need to eat healthier and expand my horizons a bit so I'll probably lurk for interesting recipes or foods.

Best advice I can give is to buy ingredients, not meals at the store. Especially produce, and don't be afraid to try new things you've never had before. You can always find some good looking recipes online for a certain vegetable if you don't know what to do with it.

Follow recipes at first until you get your bearings, and soon enough you won't even need them. Cooking is a pretty easy thing to learn once you get started, I knew literally nothing not that long ago. Now it's rare to even use a recipe and if I do, I end up changing half of it anyway.

dude

dude
so yesterday I basically made the laziest vegan burrito - I just poured some black beans into a bowl and added minced soy, some bread crumbs and a little nutritional yeast. Ate it with some whole rice, guacamole and basic salsa - And it was pretty amazing.
I think I found my new lazy lunch.

Top Bottom