• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegetable juice fasting: anyone inspired by "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe. I'm just not hungry when I wake up though, and it seems counterproductive to force myself to eat something. I guess this leads to eating out of a vending machine before lunch sometimes (which is never a good thing), but even then, I usually get one of the healthier things in the machine.

sounds like an oxymoron to me. Skipping breakfast is more or less intermittent fasting, which has pretty reliable results once your body gets used to it. It certainly isn't unnatural.

LordCanti

sounds like an oxymoron to me. Skipping breakfast is more or less intermittent fasting, which has pretty reliable results once your body gets used to it. It certainly isn't unnatural.

It depends on the vending machine I guess. The ones I go by have low calories snacks like bags of pretzel sticks, baked chips, etc. Basically air with a truckload of salt added for flavor. Maybe "healthy" wasn't the right word.

kevm3

Won't this have a rebound effect? As soon as you stop doing this and go back to your normal eating patterns, the weight is going to fly back on.

I think a replacement diet is more effective, as in initially focusing on replacing the unhealthy foods with much healthier options and then gradually lowering your intake of food. Losing weight is great, but it doesn't matter if you can't keep it off.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
It definitely works and can definitely be done healthy, but it's important to note that the dude in the film points out that you should get a doctor's advice before doing something this extreme.

That's the thing... it IS fairly extreme. You can do something more reasonable and get results and not suffer through a few weeks of feeling like shit.

I did a thread on this a year ago you might seek out. I was trying to find HARD SCIENCE about things, but for some reason it's hard to find reasonable open-minded, but ready to call bullshit info on food.

At the end of the day, for someone as big and sick as the people in the film. Anything that works for them is good and beyond reproach IMO. It's fucking HARD to lose that much weight, keep it off and change your tastes/habits. I can totally see how, for some people, doing something extreme and cold turkey could help with a "fresh start" and doing it right this time instead of with middling half-measure.

The stuff in the film about "detoxifying" your body is complete bullshit though.
Why would you throw away all that perfectly good fiber? Juicing makes no sense.

As I understand it, the gritty and rowdy shit you get from juicing (not buying juice from a store) has the fiber. Thats a big reason people propose it only works if you juice fresh.

VALIS

Quick and easy weight loss methods aren't worth the time. Sure, you'll lose 15 pounds off the bat, but you're missing out on lots of vital nutrients, wrecking your metabolism, and the chances of gaining back the weight is pretty high. You absolutely cannot sustain a diet like this.

Seriously, what's with people being so lazy today? It's much more beneficial to adopt a healthy lifestyle that's sustainable. I was overweight and lost 40 pounds through exercise and healthier eating habits. I wasn't morbidly obese but I was unhappy and extremely self conscious... I was always chubby throughout middle school and high school. I weight about 210 pounds standing at 5 foot 10 inches. know what I did? I got off my fat lazy ass and ran 6 days a week until I could run 5 miles a day. I stopped drinking soda, avoided junk food, and stuck to a low carb diet.

I love that you're chastising people for being lazy when you're too lazy to search Google and read about juice fasts for 5 minutes before dismissing it. Did you just call drinking nothing but juice for weeks on end easy? And lazy? It's the hardest diet out there by a mile. It is extreme, difficult, but over somewhat quickly and produces great results.

The juicing fast is akin to sprinting in a marathon. You obviously can't keep up that pace for a long time, you obviously need a plan and commitment for when you're done sprinting, but it's pushing yourself for a short period of time to achieve big results. How do you suppose 350, 400, 450lb. and up people are going to just "get off their fat, lazy asses" and start exercising?

The trick is to enjoy eating healthy. And healthy food generally tends to taste very bland in contrast to chemically enhanced products of food science and over-consumption of meat, HFCS, soy/corn products, packaged goods, fast food. These things combined is bad news.

Cultural/traditional foods have it right and are overlooked for more modern methods like going vegan and other extremes.

Will going vegetarian (not vegan) help for weight loss?

I too don't really know what eating healthy is. I can't see myself eating vegetables every day. No more pasta?

This thread just says so many different things. Goddamnit.

My wife and I did a 21 day fast on January 1st of only fruits and vegetables. The amount of energy I felt was amazing but boy did I miss meat. For me it was weird because with each day that went by I couldn't wait to get it over with. Did it as a personal challenge and was very happy I went through it without cheating. I'm a big food junkie and have never weighted more than 180 so I guess for now I can get away with it. To those of you who are trying any fast/diet I wish you luck. Honestly its all mental but its something I don't think I'll ever do again. BTW I lost 25 lbs in 21 days with no exercise so I believe its not something people with a fast metabolism should do
Edit: My wife also lost a lot of weight and is looking even greater than she already waswas

Did you exercise during that? I'm going to get into running/cycling this spring and if I do a fruit and vegetable diet I'd rather not pass out or die

Cmagus

I tried this fasting diet after I watched them movie Fat sick and nearly dead I had a juicer so I figured why not. Now I am not really an overweight person but I did want to lose 20 pounds before I started working out again. So I am about 5'6 and when I started I was 183.

So upon starting this I was a little skeptical but figured I would give it shot. I did the fast for 27 days before I had decided to stop as I had hit my goal infact I managed 24 pounds over the time. Most days it was 1 pound a few were just under.

Starting out I felt awful for the first week. This was expected since I was basically stopping all sugars and junk it's going to happen. I had headaches often; I was incredibly tired to the point of exhaustion all the time. I would advise starting this when you have a 2-3 days off like I did since you’re probably going to have some diarrhea when the stuff starts to clean you out. From my experience I found that even walking almost made me pass out. I usually walk to the grocery store nearby and I was doing so to get the stuff but even a 10 minute walk was almost destroying me it was tough and I am not usually like that and obviously this is due to a limited energy source.

So when I started I followed the recipe from the film the "Mean Green" and first thing right off the bat is this recipe tastes absolutely disgusting. In the film everyone is like orgasming over it, wrong it tastes like crap and made doing it difficult having to always choke it down. This is the recipe I did each batch lasted one day.I will also say at no point on this was I ever hungry which I honestly thought I would be but I never really felt like I needed to have anything else.

1/2 Lemon
Ginger about thumb size
4 stalks of Kale
1 cucumber
4 stalks of celery
2 green apples

After the first week I started to feel much better. I found that my energy was picking up fast and I was beginning to sleep much better and felt very rested when I woke up. Other changes I found were my skin started to feel much different I can't really explain it but it felt better like almost cleaner if that makes sense (and yes I shower before some smart ass makes a comment).

After the first week of things picking up I started exercising abit and found it wasn't a near death experience anymore, although I would not go crazy exercising I am talking walking for a little if you plan on running a marathon good luck RIP.

Now here is the bad part of this diet it does and it doesn't work and this in my opinion will depend on your weight. Stopping this diet will lead to putting weight back on very fast when solid food is introduced which is expected and normal. When I came off I ate green apples and salad with nothing on it for 2 days to introduce solids back into my system. Once I began adding other foods like chicken it didn't take long to put another 15 pounds back on within 2 weeks and I was eating like plain everything no sugars or breads or anything like this.

The film is an inspiring film as you can tell I was obviously inspired abit to go ahead with this and I do think it works within the film as the people who are being followed are very overweight. If you are 400+ (I think the second guy was in the 400's) you’re going to lose alot of weight fast and you'll see big results as there is alot of excess fat there to lose. Someone like me who is barely if not overweight the amount lost to the amount put back on will be hardly noticeable and thus a waste of time for anyone in that situation. If you are someone who is very overweight I would say try it I think it could help but I just don't see it doing any good if you’re looking to lose 15-20 pounds.

I think from experience it couldn't hurt to incorporate something like this into ones diet personally I decided not to and have been on low carb for awhile which is working good for me I am certainly down alot. Like the film says if you do try it see a doctor if you can I didn't and the first week and a half my body just took a beating.Anywho this was my experience it could differ for others.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Anyway, I think I'm going to try it. The fresh juices taste very good. Breville sells a juicer for $90. And even if I don't solely drink juice, it'll be a good addition to my diet.

a lot of fat people think that. Juice is packed with fruit sugars, you're better off with water and eating a normal portion of fruit.

Sethos

Banned
So when I started I followed the recipe from the film the "Mean Green" and first thing right off the bat is this recipe tastes absolutely disgusting. In the film everyone is like orgasming over it, wrong it tastes like crap and made doing it difficult having to always choke it down.

Yeah, that part they should have mentioned - Everything tastes completely vile. Tried so many recipes and I've had to hold my nose to drink every single one of them. Most of it tastes like freshly mowed grass in a glass or pure ass. Glad I don't have to live off it permanently :p

Gilby

I more or less follow cheat mode on lifting days, mostly paleo (I'm not strict) on resting days. As others have pointed out, don't juice vegetables, just eat them. Make sure to get lots of brassicae veggies and mushrooms.

VALIS

So when I started I followed the recipe from the film the "Mean Green" and first thing right off the bat is this recipe tastes absolutely disgusting. In the film everyone is like orgasming over it, wrong it tastes like crap and made doing it difficult having to always choke it down. This is the recipe I did each batch lasted one day.I will also say at no point on this was I ever hungry which I honestly thought I would be but I never really felt like I needed to have anything else.

Ha! That was one of the hardest things about the diet for me, that the various green vegetable juices tasted like a cup of ass. At first they weren't so bad, I even liked them the first few days, but after having them for 10 more days there were times I just wouldn't have a juice at all rather than make a green one. I'd just go to bed. :p

However, the various fruit juices (which I'd only have one of in the morning) were incredible. Carrots + Oranges = holy shit.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Jeez, why are so many people afraid of fasting? Humanity survived on period of food/starvation for many thousands of years. We live in an era of bread and honey with our grocery stores and international food supplies. God forbid we don't eat like ancient kings every day of the week.

This.

I got my juicer yesterday. I plan on a few weeks of juice for breakfast and lunch with a normal healthy diner. I lost 20lbs doing low carb, low sugar. But my weight has stalled at 235 (6'4"). I don't get enough exercise, but I don't have time for anything besides walking to work.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
he said nitrites not nitrates. Theres a difference.

If you even glanced at the link I posted, you would see why I mentioned nitrates. Because nitrates consumption increases nitrites in the blood. You would also see that nitrite is being blamed for what nitrosamines are causing.

a lot of fat people think that. Juice is packed with fruit sugars, you're better off with water and eating a normal portion of fruit.

I agree. The reason why I haven't attacked the idea of a fructose binge is that I think it is possible for it to cause weight loss. If it is vegetable juice or any formula that is bland enough it will relatively reduce food reward to the point that an obese person's hunger will rapidly decrease. But it is an extreme diet even as a subset of a low food reward diet. Better off with bland meat and vegetables.

But mixing juice or soda with typical diets only makes it worse.

Enco

Sounds pretty dumb.

How about eating less? Less sweets and chocolates. Sorted.

No need for crazy fad diets. It's not hard.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Sounds pretty dumb.

How about eating less? Less sweets and chocolates. Sorted.

No need for crazy fad diets. It's not hard.

Werd? Someone should tell science that.

For the record:
The juice in this diet is comprised about 90% from low sugar vegetables like kale and celery with some ginger. There is usually like... 1 green apple & some lemon juice for the fruit part of it.
And the people who said it's nasty are right.
I think that's another unspoken reason why they encourage people to do it at home... no one would make juice that fucking gross and sell it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
wait..... why doesn't the fiber get passed through with the fruit and vegetables in the juicer?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
wait..... why doesn't the fiber get passed through with the fruit and vegetables in the juicer?
The official website says this, which definitely contradicts my memory of the film, but is pretty srtaight forward and honest about the fiber thing.
Is fiber good for me? And where will I get fiber when I juice?

Fiber is important, and absolutely beneficial. Fiber sweeps the colon and helps remove the toxic residue that sticks to the walls of the colon. We all have trapped waste in our bodies due to the consumption of processed foods, chemicals, and environmental toxins. You will be receiving some fiber through the foods you eat during the first and last 5 days of this reboot. However, when we juice, the fiber is extracted and we are left with the liquid portion of the vegetables and fruits, and its all its enzymes. The juice will not have to be broken down and will go straight into the bloodstream. Juice because of its high enzyme content and alkalinity, will stir up toxic waste for its intended removal. In addition, juice will hydrate the colon, which is extremely important.
So basically, you normally need fiber dog, but in order to do this, you are gonna take a break. Something something "toxins"

scy

The biggest problem with most "diets" is the mentality that they're temporary things you do to get to X and then, hey, you got there! Not saying anything about the juice fast itself but just that there's a larger problem involved. "Diet" isn't temporary; it's that thing you do every day of your life. You're always consuming something and it'll always have an impact. Understanding that is the biggest part of weight loss.

As for the juice fasting itself, never done it so I can't offer any personal advice on it. Just rehashing the same ol' party line of "be aware that you'll still need to make lifestyle changes to keep the loss going."

speedline

Banned
The biggest problem with most "diets" is the mentality that they're temporary things you do to get to X and then, hey, you got there! Not saying anything about the juice fast itself but just that there's a larger problem involved. "Diet" isn't temporary; it's that thing you do every day of your life. You're always consuming something and it'll always have an impact. Understanding that is the biggest part of weight loss.

Yeah, I think everyone agrees with this. The film refers to the juice fast as a "reboot", more of a kickstart, to healthier eating lifestyle. The host acknowledges time and time again about the importance of eating well and exercising regularly to maintain the weightloss.

I think when you are 300-400+ lbs, sick and desperate, this juice fast is a good jumping on point. If a really obese person is able to quickly drop some weight and see the scale moving in the right direction, it would give them some excitement about changing their lifestyle. When you are that large and all you hear is "you should lose 1-2lbs a week" then the task of losing 200+ lbs (which was the case with Phil in the film) damn near incomprehensible. He needed to get rid of that weight, and do it fast because he could have died at any time. The juice fast helped him quickly feel better and give him some hope that he could change his life. If he followed the standard diet and exercise and lost 1-2lbs a week, he would have never continued. He did the right thing for himself.

mrbagdt

my wife and i bought a breville juicer but we didnt do a juice fast. i make 2 jars of juice 3-4 times a week and drink it at lunch. goal is to try to use the juice to replace one meal.

people that hate on juicing and say 'why waste the fiber', cant say theres a good reason other than its a lot easier to drink the nutrients and get your fiber elsewhere than to eat them both in the form of vegetables. i can 'drink' an entire cucumber and a apple really easily without taking much time. i could also eat an entire cucumber, or eat 3 carrots, etc, but it just takes time. thats the only reason you juice- youd rather drink the nutrients then wind up skipping out on them entirely. if you are someone who can eat all the vegetables you should for a day, then hey, skip out on juicing. but if have a hard time eating the vegetables and fruits you should, then juicing is an easy way to get it into your diet.

id also say that doing a juice fast should be approached with a certain amount of skepticism. using a juicer to get fruits and vegetables into your diet shouldnt be a sticky subject, however.

beril

Recommend OP tries an eight hour water fast soon, then a 24 hour maybe a week later. Then just have only fresh fruits and vegetables for two days, see if you can handle that.

Ok I'll abmit I have no knowledge about the subject, but can you really call 8 hours fasting? Isn't that more like skipping a meal at best? Or just an everyday routine for people who don't stick to five meals a day.

How about rather than continue participating in obsessive behavior patterns like binge/purge that likely makes most people fat and unhealthy to begin with, you just start exercising and eating correctly, when you're hungry?

tokkun

The fiber in vegetables is insoluble. That means it does not dissolve in liquid and therefore will be left behind if you remove only the juice.

Will going vegetarian (not vegan) help for weight loss?

I too don't really know what eating healthy is. I can't see myself eating vegetables every day. No more pasta?

This thread just says so many different things. Goddamnit.

Dude no. Forget vegetarianism. You've just gotta eat more like how people eat in the eastern world. Minimal meat and mostly vegetables. Rice and pasta is fantastic. Here in the US we abuse meat production which is strongly linked to getting cancer.

Enco

Werd? Someone should tell science that.

For the record:
The juice in this diet is comprised about 90% from low sugar vegetables like kale and celery with some ginger. There is usually like... 1 green apple & some lemon juice for the fruit part of it.
And the people who said it's nasty are right.
I think that's another unspoken reason why they encourage people to do it at home... no one would make juice that fucking gross and sell it.
The hard part is will power I guess.

If you have self restraint, losing weight is pretty easy.

1. Calculate your BMR
2. Eat 500 calories less
3. Keep sugary and carb heavy treats on the down low
4. Success

ezrarh

Hi guys, I would recommending reading this article that debunks some fasting myths. It's by Martin Berkhan who is actually legit and backs up his information. While some people might disagree with him, his reasoning and methodology to reach to his conclusions is solid and the information presented is backed up by scientific articles. While I will hold my opinion vegetable juicing fasting, intermittent fasting can be effective in helping fat loss.

Like others have said, I think the best thing to do is develop a diet that is sustainable for life.

Murkas

Dude no. Forget vegetarianism. You've just gotta eat more like how people eat in the eastern world. Minimal meat and mostly vegetables. Rice and pasta is fantastic. Here in the US we abuse meat production which is strongly linked to getting cancer.

Do not listen to his lies!

You want more meat, more vegetables, and less carbs.

I would rather do a vegetable fasting.
Just chomp down some carrots, lettuce, kale, etc, and you'll get all the benefits from the juice fasting but with the added addition of some proper fibres.

kehs

Banned

The fiber in blended fruites/vegetables basically pass through your body like pouring water through a drain. The vitamins are easily absorbed though. Fiber needs to "stick around" in the digestive system for it to function.

Enco

Err no.

Fruit doesn't make you fat.
Meat doesn't make you fat.
Whole grains don't make you fat.

People have to learn about moderation.

Jme

Fuck juicing. Get a Blendtec or a Vitamix. It will liquify anything you throw in there AND retain all the nutritional value (fiber etc.)

Seriously, a 'green smoothie' is way better (and cheaper and more effective) than juicing.
Plus they don't taste like ass shit.

2 cups of baby spinach leaves + 1 stalk celery + half an apple + some ice = amazing smoothie with a fuckton of fiber and tastes amazing (way better than it sounds, like enjoyable even!)

Plus, with a vitamix you can throw in some stock, a tomato, and a stalk of celery (and maybe a small slice of onion) and blend it for 2 minutes and its steamy hot tomato soup. Can you do that with a juicer? No, all you can do is make a huge fucking mess, have a clogged filter, and a garbage bag full of fiber/pulp to throw away.

tfur

Fuck juicing. Get a Blendtec or a Vitamix. It will liquify anything you throw in there AND retain all the nutritional value (fiber etc.)

Seriously, a 'green smoothie' is way better (and cheaper and more effective) than juicing.
Plus they don't taste like ass shit.

2 cups of baby spinach leaves + 1 stalk celery + half an apple + some ice = amazing smoothie with a fuckton of fiber and tastes amazing (way better than it sounds, like enjoyable even!)

Plus, with a vitamix you can throw in some stock, a tomato, and a stalk of celery (and maybe a small slice of onion) and blend it for 2 minutes and its steamy hot tomato soup. Can you do that with a juicer? No, all you can do is make a huge fucking mess, have a clogged filter, and a garbage bag full of fiber/pulp to throw away.
I am thinking about ordering a vitamix today. I have been wanting one forever, and this thread made me think about it again.

Sounds like you enjoy it.

wut

Err no.

Fruit doesn't make you fat.
Meat doesn't make you fat.
Whole grains don't make you fat.

People have to learn about moderation.

Not by themselves, no. But people do know about moderation, and it's usually applied liberally to exercise. That doesn't give them a head start, so anything that isn't helpful (fructose in fruit and grains in, well, grains) is hurting you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom