• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Velcro® releases video urging you to stop calling velcro velcro

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm impressed they went all out like that though it certainly gets your attention, that's for sure.

Br1JPrICYAAJjbX.jpg

As this 1990 NOA poster shows it's a very real fear for a company's brand.

So what happens when I say we should velcro this bitch?

Below are guidelines for the proper use of the VELCRO® trademark, which assists us in safeguarding the integrity of the VELCRO® brand, and helps to protect consumers from products incorrectly sold as VELCRO® brand products.
We ask that you use the VELCRO® mark in accordance with the following guidelines:
1. Use the VELCRO® mark only in connection with genuine VELCRO® brand fasteners.  Identify non-VELCRO® brand products by their common terms, including “hook and loop,” “touch fasteners,” “self-adhesive straps,” and so forth.
2. When referring to genuine VELCRO® brand products, use the registration symbol (®) and the word “brand” directly following the trademark.  Where possible, capitalize the mark.  Example: “VELCRO® brand.”
3. Follow the word “brand” with the correct generic term for the fastener or other product.  For example, you might say, “Our product features genuine VELCRO® brand touch fasteners.”
4. Always use the VELCRO® mark as an adjective, and never as a noun or a verb.  When referring to non-VELCRO® brand hook and loop, do not use the VELCRO® mark.  Examples:
Incorrect: “She prefers velcro to buttons or zippers.”
Correct: “She prefers VELCRO® brand fasteners to buttons or zippers”
Incorrect: “He leaned down to velcro his shoes.”
Correct: “He leaned down to fasten his shoes.”
5. Where possible, include a trademark notice that says: “VELCRO® and VELCRO® design are registered trademarks of Velcro BVBA.”
https://www.velcro.com/about-us/our-brand/

I can't help but think Velcro lost this battle sometime before I entered primary school. I can't even remember the fastener not being referred to as just velcro.

CornDogg

I velcroed my medical supplies to the wall in case I'm ever in urgent need of a bandaid. Then I grabbed some kleenex and googled some...nevermind.

Bernbaum

Well that was fucking hilarious.

It's almost as if they knew this wouldn't work but are seeing out their obligation.

Quonny

Kleenex, dumpster, and realtor are other examples of this, and Velcro don't want none of that.

I enjoyed the video.

I sat through a corporate sponsored show at Disney World sponsored by some company that made Velcro but wasn't Velcro. I think they were contractually obligated to correct every single person who said the word Velcro by getting them to say "hook and loop fastener".

Wasn't aware they could lose a trademark by it being used generally like that.

YES and it's one of the most interesting subjects I ever covered in School.

Xexox had issues with it when 'a Xexox' became the default name for all copy/scanner pages.

Kleenex as well, when 'a Kleenex' became the default name of all tissue paper.

Oddly enough, Pepsi released commercials telling people not to call a generic soft drink 'a coke' and instead order Pepsi by name. The funny part being it would benefit Pepsi endlessly if Coke lost brand rights because 'a coke' became what people said even if they wanted a Pepsi.

Amazed Velcro didn't lose this like 30 years ago.
You ever say Hook and Loop to anyone? They look at you funny.

Madness

Br1JPrICYAAJjbX.jpg

As this 1990 NOA poster shows it's a very real fear for a company's brand.

Game Boy had this too. He's playing his Nintendo and Game Boy even if it was an advance etc. For a while Xbox 360 had this same thing. People kept saying everyone playing their Xboxes.

_Ryo_

No, I think I'll still call it Velcro.

Edit: I did like the song. But come on, Velcro has been used as the generic term for ages and you're just now trying out a substantial effort to protect your trademark. It's too late. So too bad. Same thing for bandaids.

Phu

Banned
The whole bit with them censoring out the brand names kinda defeats the purpose since it only works because it's too late to change.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I think they'd probably just be happy to get to Kleenex status, where enough people identify it as a brand to make it unusable by a direct competitor, even though it's not as protected as most trademarks.

TheContact

Idc. It’s “Velcro”. If another company comes around and makes a similar “hook and loop” attachment, to me, it’s still “Velcro”

I mean, on one hand, yeah, I can see where they're coming from.

On the other, it'll be an uphill battle. People have been calling hook and loop 'Velcro' for longer than uh, some of us have been alive.

It's literally all I've ever known it to be called, actually.

Sucks that they'll have to change their name or get sued into oblivion by trademark trolls.

Hook and loop doesn't make any sense. There is no hook or loop.

Er...yeah there is. One part has a bunch of tiny hooks, and those hooks capture into the loops on the other side. That's the crackling sound when you pull it apart, the loops snapping back.

Top Bottom