• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Velocity 2X |OT| Yippee Kai Yay ************

Just platinumed this game over the weekend. Perfecting level 50 was like COD4 Mile High Club on veteran frustrating. Target is only 1 minute but I must've restarted it at least 100 times before nailing it. It made my head hurt. No mistakes at all.

Had so much fun with this game though! How is the DLC?

SerTapTap

Just platinumed this game over the weekend. Perfecting level 50 was like COD4 Mile High Club on veteran frustrating. Target is only 1 minute but I must've restarted it at least 100 times before nailing it. It made my head hurt. No mistakes at all.

Had so much fun with this game though! How is the DLC?

Only played Critical Urgency but it's good fun. Haven't gone and perfected everything (main game or DLC) yet though. Was quite happy with the DLC considering price though. Reused assets, no surprise, but they're pretty original levels that are focused around speed running (and a second pack focused on the 2 ships thing...I might pass on that)

Just started playing this about a week ago... and I'm blown away. I love how the game just keeps layering things on you. I just expected a shmup, but the indoor segments, the way they're combined along with how creative the levels are caught me by surprise. I also enjoy the story style, it's a nice little touch to the game. Not too much, just enough.

I never would've played this if it wasn't for plus. Every year there's one game I would've ignored if it wasn't for plus and it turns out to be amazing.

the mark

Has anyone noticed anything unusual when checking the "friends" scoreboard on the PS Vita version of the game over the last few days?

I posted about a problem that I had with online scoreboards over the last few days in the thread for Futuridium EP Deluxe (see this post and this post specifically). A couple of hours ago, I also observed a similar problem with the online scoreboards in Velocity 2X on the PS Vita, even though I had been playing for four weeks prior to that with no issues. The problem only seems to affect the Vita versions of these games, not the PS4 versions.

If I examine the "friends" scoreboard on Velocity 2X, it shows several friends with a 0 score. These friends are all people that I've never seen playing the game before, and all have usernames starting with A or B, listed in ascending alphabetical order. Meanwhile, friends that I know for a fact have been playing the game on a regular basis are not listed. Oddly enough, my own username (which starts with A) isn't listed, so I cannot even check my own score in this game.

This game also has a "near" scoreboard, which pulls scores from nearby users. These scores are all also 0--mostly from people that I again never saw playing the game, while people that I've seen before (some with really great scores) aren't listed.

If I switch over to PS4, the "friends" scoreboard appears completely normal. (There is no "near" scoreboard on PS4.) My scores are on there, and the friends that I know play the game are also on there, while friends that have never played the game are not listed. This is exactly the way the Vita game used to work.

I believe this could have something to do with the most recent firmware update, which was released on October 1. (Prior to tonight, the last time I played the Vita version was on September 29, before the firmware update was released.)

If you've been playing Velocity 2X on Vita (and maybe Futuridium EP Deluxe, also), please check your online scoreboards, and tell me whether you're experiencing the same problem.

I've got the same problem. Is there a solution for this problem, yet?

I've nearly finished with this; just a few more levels to go and that's me done. I'm not going to try for the Platinum or anything like that, but I've really enjoyed this as a side dish to deeper story games. And the soundtrack is still wonderful. Can't wait to see what FuturLab do next.

Agent X

I'm still experiencing that problem. I haven't heard of a solution yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the next firmware update (presumably in the next few days, to coincide with the next major update for PS4) will address this, especially since it affects multiple games.

Finished this a couple of nights ago. I really loved it overall; a solid 8/10 for me. I tried to perfect a few levels, but I'm just not good enough and I can see it getting very frustrating. I really liked the plot, and in the very final cutscene where
Kai sheds tears of joy as she travels back home
I was there with her. I played the game intermittently over about six weeks and it did feel like we went on a journey. I loved the on-foot levels, and I'd gladly see this massively expanded upon in the next game, with more intricate labyrinthine levels and a bit more depth than just hitting switches/collecting crystals. If they went down a Metroid route I would fully support that decision.

I also went back to Velocity Ultra which as it turns out I only finished 16 levels, and it highlights just how much they accomplished with 2X. The visuals in 2X are vastly improved, I found the controls more responsive and all of the on-foot sections are so much fun and an excellent accomplishment. I'll finish up Ultra and then move on to something else.

SerTapTap

I also went back to Velocity Ultra which as it turns out I only finished 16 levels, and it highlights just how much they accomplished with 2X. The visuals in 2X are vastly improved, I found the controls more responsive and all of the on-foot sections are so much fun and an excellent accomplishment. I'll finish up Ultra and then move on to something else.

2X just looks SO good, especially on PS4. Amazing to still see people whining that it's a 2D game. So beautiful. That's what happens when you have a solid art style.

Surprised how divisive the on-foot segments are, roughly equal amounts of people seem to say they're the best or worst parts of the game.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
2X just looks SO good, especially on PS4. Amazing to still see people whining that it's a 2D game. So beautiful. That's what happens when you have a solid art style.

Surprised how divisive the on-foot segments are, roughly equal amounts of people seem to say they're the best or worst parts of the game.
The on foot segments are fine as long as you don't have to do any telepod throwing.

Wasp

I completed this a couple of days ago.

I got to level 42 before the game told me I didn't have enough XP to unlock the next level. I thought it was going to be a huge grind having to replay the earlier levels to get the remaining XP but it wasn't that bad actually. In total I only had to replay the first dozen levels (which are quite short and straightforward) to get a faster time in them for the extra XP.

Anyway it's a good game, although a bit too easy. You have a huge amount of time to complete levels (which I'm not complaining about), you restart pretty much where you died with enemies defeated still dead, and you can soak up plenty of bullets. It makes for a nice sit back and chill out game at least.

Also I'm in the on-foot sections are the best part camp.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I completed this a couple of days ago.

I got to level 42 before the game told me I didn't have enough XP to unlock the next level. I thought it was going to be a huge grind having to replay the earlier levels to get the remaining XP but it wasn't that bad actually. In total I only had to replay the first dozen levels (which are quite short and straightforward) to get a faster time in them for the extra XP.

Anyway it's a good game, although a bit too easy. You have a huge amount of time to complete levels (which I'm not complaining about), you restart pretty much where you died with enemies defeated still dead, and you can soak up plenty of bullets. It makes for a nice sit back and chill out game at least.

Also I'm in the on-foot sections are the best part camp.
The difficulty comes from perfecting the leves.

oggob

Initially this was put on the backburner as I played through Danganronpa 2, once that was completed I returned to this a couple of weeks back.

Got the Platinum a few days ago and I'm onto the DLC at the moment but the game really is amazing.

The final 3 levels are a straight up curve ball, almost throwing everything you learnt over the course of the game out the window and you are re-learning the mechanics once again. Thankfully, the time requirements seem a touch more relaxed in these levels compared to the rest of the levels in the 40's.

I read all the drama over Level 42 and 47, both of which did see repeated reties but I still think they were reasonably fair. Overall I had major issues with 41, which had a on foot section towards the end that had 2 enemies with a huge line of turrets, for some reason I only worked out the "easy" way to deal with it after getting the perfect.

The DLC is another story, the Critical Urgency pack starts out all nice, but the final 2 levels are straight up killer, harder than anything in the main game I felt. Somehow I managed to finally finish the 6th level to perfect and move onto the 2nd DLC pack.

Once again, starts off nice, but at the midway point I'm hitting some Critical Urgency levels that are ridiculous on the timing aspect, still loving the hell out of it. Still GOTY material.

It's really funny also to see how far you come, for all those people that are upto a certain level... return back to Level 1 to 5 and see just how easy those levels are (basically tutorial levels). Crazy stuff!

oggob

Did anyone try the DLCs ? Are they worth their price ?

I'd say yes, cheap price for a bunch of new levels... the levels don't try anything new, they are just levels that could easily replace and/or fit into the game at any point.

Most of them are pretty short, but they are really unforgiving with the time element, so you really need to push to get those Perfects.

One pack is 6 Critical Urgency levels, whilst the other is 8 levels that feature what happens in Levels 48-50 in the main game.

SerTapTap

Velocity 2X picked up GameSpot's PS Vita Game of the Year. Congratulations to FuturLab!

Well deserved

Did anyone try the DLCs ? Are they worth their price ?

Yes, but note they're quite hard. One is based on Critical Urgency levels but more complex and long than most such levels in the main game and requires some cool tricks to perfect, the other is more dual ship levels. I didn't get the dual ship stuff because I haven't perfected those and they honestly give me a headache, but the urgency pack was great. If you can beat the game you can beat the Urgency missions, but they're harder to perfect than most of the original levels.

Khayam

Banned
I'm not sure I'll be going for the "perfects" on this game.

Right now, I'm stuck at 42 because I don't have enough XP and I have to go back and perfect some stuff. Do you know if the XP gained while playing the Urgency DLC counts towards the main story missions ?

SerTapTap

Right now, I'm stuck at 42 because I don't have enough XP and I have to go back and perfect some stuff. Do you know if the XP gained while playing the Urgency DLC counts towards the main story missions ?

The first 5~ levels are braindead easy perfects, you don't need perfects to proceed to the next missions though. You probably have some poor times or skipped levels. If you got (very roughly) at least silver/2 stars/2 crystals on each level you should never have to go back and play just to proceed, and you'll get much better XP if you bring some bronzes up to gold than if you just try to perfect levels you were already close on.

Make sure you get every crystal and survivor you can. You really shouldn't run into a situation where you don't have enough XP to proceed if you almost never miss a crystal/survivor and get at least silver times on average. You probably just have a couple particularly poor levels you can mop up and then continue playing normally, plus like I said the first few levels are easy perfects/XP you might not have got because you were still learning at the time.

SerTapTap

I ended up perfecting the first 20 lvls, just for fun.

e31.jpg

Khayam

Banned
I shiver just thinking about the last 20 lvls.. We'll see if I find the strength :eek:

Do you guys think t's easier on the VITA or the PS4 ? I've been playing on VITA and once in a while, I use the Touch screen instead of the Square button. It helps when there are sucsessive short teleports with no movements (or to escape a situation very quickly)

SerTapTap

I shiver just thinking about the last 20 lvls.. We'll see if I find the strength :eek:

Do you guys think t's easier on the VITA or the PS4 ? I've been playing on VITA and once in a while, I use the Touch screen instead of the Square button. It helps when there are sucsessive short teleports with no movements (or to escape a situation very quickly)

Prever Vita for any touch teleport intensive levels, otherwise PS4. Ideally you can do all hops with a quick tap of the teleport button, but anything longer than the minimum teleport distance and you're probably better off using the Vita. It's a shame you can't remote play and get the best of both worlds (touch teleport but play on big screen.)

If you're going for perfects...well...have fun with 47

Khayam

Banned
Is there any way to know what "points" you missed on a run ? If there is one thing that'll end up annoying me and turning me away from the challenge is doing five runs of the same mission and missing 5 or 10 points to get the perfect without knowing what I keep missing over and over.

iosefe

After putting it off, i finally finished the game, 20 minutes before my plus sub expires. i need a third game asap

Number45

Picked this up at launch and FINALLY got around to starting the game yesterday. As someone who loved the original, the sheer variety in the levels is initially pretty overwhelming! D:

Went through the first 30 or so levels not worrying too much about getting the perfects (usually not far off, just need to work on the times) in one sitting. <3

Number45

Don't know if I have it in me to perfect all of the levels in this. Unlike the first game, some of the levels are so long and fraught with insta-death (mainly in the on-foot sections) I can see it getting pretty frustrating. And the less said about how my brain deals with those last three levels the better.

Won't be buying THAT DLC for sure.

SerTapTap

Don't know if I have it in me to perfect all of the levels in this. Unlike the first game, some of the levels are so long and fraught with insta-death (mainly in the on-foot sections) I can see it getting pretty frustrating. And the less said about how my brain deals with those last three levels the better.

Won't be buying THAT DLC for sure.

The last 3 levels aren't the worst IMO--it takes some getting used to, but 95% of the time
you just need to guide the blue/real ship and the mirror ship will automatically be in the right place. As for when that's not enough...well that's just a memory game and I do agree the game needs less of that

The worst levels are the 2 super long labyrinth ones, 47 in particular. I love the game but playing that level and NOT going for perfect already told me I'm not going to bother for the platinum sadly. I wish they'd focus on keeping the levels short and intense and not have too many branching paths. In fact, I'd be pretty happy if they removed the long range teleport entirely. The controls for it are much improved in this game, but they're still only really necessary for my least favorite aspects of level design.

They can be alright I guess, but only if there's just a couple branches total. Which almost makes them pointless...so yeah I'd rather see 'em gone.

Number45

Thanks. I'm going to try for the platinum anyway, I'll see how I go. Perfected up to 22 so far. :)

Critical urgency will always be my faves, shame there's not more of them.

Thanks. I'm going to try for the platinum anyway, I'll see how I go. Perfected up to 22 so far. :)

Critical urgency will always be my faves, shame there's not more of them.

There is a critical urgency DLC pack with 6 challenging levels.

Futurlab did a great job with Velocity 2X, one of my favorite games of 2014.

Number45

Yeah, I have that pack. Looking forward to it.

32 done now, I need to call it a night my poor Vita (and fingers) doesn't know what's happening to it. Going to give it a try on the PS4 tomorrow, see if I prefer it there or not.

Number45

Nope, this belongs on the Vita. <3

41 down. I was in despair after completing the campaign thinking I'd never be able to manage it, but I think I should be able to. The level design is utter genius - first run you can miss the time by a HUGE amount (a minute or more) and think it just can't be done but you spend some time learning the layout and where to use the teleports and when you nail the execution and beat the time by 10+ seconds the feeling is SO good.

I still I think I may prefer the simplicity of the first over this though, we'll see. It IS quite a bit of effort to learn the layouts here, where the majority of the first game you could twitch through it if you were good enough.

Number45

3 seconds off of perfecting level 50. Overall I've loved it, but these last three levels have REALLY soured me on the game.

I really hope the concept is dropped completely from the next game, assuming theres's another entry.

Decided to have a go at getting the Platinum on this. Got perfects on about 20 levels so far; it really shows how good the level design is and how pinpoint accurate the controls are when you're playing at high level like this. Not sure I'll manage, but I'm gonna give it a solid effort. Such a fun game and I love the soundtrack so much.

SerTapTap

Decided to have a go at getting the Platinum on this. Got perfects on about 20 levels so far; it really shows how good the level design is and how pinpoint accurate the controls are when you're playing at high level like this. Not sure I'll manage, but I'm gonna give it a solid effort. Such a fun game and I love the soundtrack so much.

Certain later levels are likely to break you, but the first 30-40 levels are really great.

0OoO0

If I am not enjoying the first 15 levels of this game, should I continue playing? Does it get any better? I find it to be boring and overrated. Really disappointed with this game to be honest, I just don't get the praise :(

Number45

Are you looking for more of a challenge? If so keep playing, the game really opens up later on. It's also a heavily speed run focused game so if that's not your thing it might not be your thing.

0OoO0

I'm despise speed run games like Sonic. I take my time to explore and collect all the items, I guess I've been playing "incorrectly".

Number45

There's exploration in there too, but the courses are linear (with pretty significant branching) and the longevity of the game comes from perfecting the levels - which basically means collecting everything and finishing within a certain time limit (or killing the enemies and finishing within the limit on combat focused levels).

Discovering the complete layout of the levels and the right routes/order for branching with the long form teleports is the end game of this.

Haribokart

Banned
I really wanted to play this game, so started streaming it on Twitch the other day. When I go live I always make a post on Twitter, Futurlab noticed this and some of the staff came into the stream to chat about the game - this absolutely made my day!

The game is still cool as fuck by the way, loving everything about it. The bump in difficulty from level 30 or so is just right so far, too.

Top Bottom