• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Velocity (PS3/PSP/Vita) - This game is awesome, I'll tell you why

================================================================
!!!!!!!!!! VELOCITY NOW ON US VITA STOREFRONT. !!!!!!!!!!
================================================================

<- This sums up the game pretty well; pure fast paced sidescrolling action.

================================================== Screens ==================================================

SGV1v.png

========== Reviews ==========

Eurogamer review - 8/10
IGN UK review - 9/10
Edge review - 9/10
Play UK review - 9/10
The Sixthaxis review - 10/10

Click here for more reviews
===========================

Why make this thread?
This game was recently released and like other PlayStation minis, doesn't get the attention that it deserves. This game is a must-have, especially if you have a Vita because we all know it needs games period.

So, what's this game about?
It's a very addicting sidescrolling shoot 'em up, just like the ones in the old days. It's your job to save as many survivors as you can throughout all the zones while reaching the goal in time and in one piece.

What can that ship do?
Shoot (seriously), quickly teleport to any open location on the screen, fling bombs and boost to your heart's desire. Teleporting is really unique, it makes the game stand out among cookie cutter space shooters. Words can't do it justice, watch the YouTube video.

What's there to do in the game?
There are 50 zones in the main game and 20 side missions that can be unlocked. Zone objective results are based on completion time, rescued survivors and the score. Missions have special conditions to them and put your reflexes to the test, because unlike the main game, your ship explodes when you touch the walls. You can unlock art as well and also in-game trophies (no, not the PSN ones for e-schlong bragging.) There's also a calculator that has easter eggs and on top of that, there's minesweeper! Bet you didn't have that on your PlayStation machine, hm?

...how is the music?
Listen. Joris de Man (Killzone 2&3) worked on it.

Oh sh-- WHERE DO I BUY THIS?!
Available now on the PlayStation Store, compatible with PS3/PSP/PSV for only $5/&#8364;5/£3.99. Make sure you have at least 76 mb free space and a couple of hours of spare time, you'll need it. :)

========== GAF Impressions ==========

awaiken: Game is awesome. There's about 15 minis now that justify the entire existence of that program.

KalBalboa: I have this on my Vita thanks to Plus. It's a great time killer.

Steve McQueen: Awesome game, delight on the Vita

Carl: The game really is amazing, and it has been severely overlooked due to simply being in the "mini" category. It's a fantastic shooter with some really unique gameplay mechanics. It's the ultimate "just one more go" type of game and is honestly one of my favourite PSN games of the year so far. I urge anyone to give it a go and not judge it simply because it's a "mini" game.

ZenaxPure: Yes, people should play this. Even if you aren't typically into the genre, it is very awesome.

Ravage: Couldn't have agreed more. I booted it up not knowing that it's a retro shooter and before i knew it, i was already past level 20. Amazingly addictive gameplay.

Dusky: This game is all kinds of fun. On level 30 and getting gold on every level is quite the challenge ! Probably one of the best minis I've ever played.

Drencrom: Got it for free with PS+, surprisingly really fun.

Killthee: Velocity Search is so freaking good. Glad to hear they're releasing the OST.

kassatsu: There is a secret coconut dodge minigame... therefore it is the best minis game since coconut dodge.

GeoramA: Yep, big fan of it. And another nice PS+ freebie.

VanWinkle: Love this game. I highly recommend playing it on the Vita: it's fantastic on there. Still, PS3 and PSP are good for it too. ;)

magawolaz: Grabbed this when it was free on PS+, I think I'll buy it when my subscription expires. Really a good game, it deserves a thread :)

Leezard: I got this for free on PSN+ as well. I haven't gotten far yet, but it is fun.

Agent X: Velocity is truly a high quality game. The concept is original and refreshing, offering up an excellent blend of traditional shoot-up-up gameplay with puzzle elements. The graphics and music feel somewhat like an Amiga game (and I mean that as a compliment). The game is great fun, and you'll be encouraged to replay previously beaten levels to improve your score and/or time. The Minis program has had a lot of great releases in recent months. Velocity stands out as one of the finest Minis yet, and is definitely worth checking out!

Edgeward: Ooo, this reminds to finish this game. Had no idea it was 50 main missions. I was actually pretty close to beating it. The progression in the game is terrific. Introduces and expands on mechanics first before introducing another one.

Nekobo: Another vote for this game. Quality game, stellar soundtrack. Got it for free on PS+, but would have gladly paid $5 - $7 for it.

gblues: It plays and sounds awesome on the PS3.

Toma: Game totally surprised me when I tried it a while back. Definitely deserves more love.

lowrider007: Good thread, I was only just recommending this game in the Vita general advice thread a couple of days ago but nobody seemed interested :-(, it's a shame that a lot of people dismiss some of these games purely on the basis that they are minis.

LiquidMetal14: Played the first few acts. It's actually very fun and perfect for a portable. One of the best minis that grabbed me right from the get go. No regrets and I'm glad I actually paid for this and didn't get it while it was free since I did that the opportunity to do that.

Raonak: Oh, sweet! i was waiting for this to be downloadable on vita (was too lazy to transfer) it's so unique. and so genious. dat teleporting mechanic.

Reclaimer: I picked up Velocity for my Vita, assuming it would be throwaway and I'd play it for 15 min and that would be that... Yadda yadda yadda, 3 hours later and I'm in love.

DukeTogo1300: This game is fantastic on Vita, and there are so many levels to get perfect on. This even gave me a bit of blister-thumb, which I haven't had in years.

Famassu: This game truly is awesome. Too bad my Vita ran out of battery and I couldn't play more.

Barkley's Justice: Yoooo! Good looking out, OP! This game's the shit!!

the_prime_mover: I am definitely one of those who typically don't bother with minis and thus passed this over. Fortunately this thread and the videos convinced me pick it up and I am not disappointed in the least. All of the mechanics are very well implemented and the gameplay is very fast (if you want it to be). A very fluid and entertaining experience, well worth the $5.

julls: Great game. The music is so awesome - like a flashback to Sonic and Megaman style. Appealing to my OCD "must perfect every level" streak! I've just had to force myself to put this down. I'm going for perfects on every level I've cleared so far before moving on. "One more turn..." turns into dozens. It's so late. Eugh. This game is amazing. I NEED THIS SOUNDTRACK.

Elvin Atombender: Velocity is brilliant though. I'm hoping for a "regular PSN-game" sequel.

SHarris78: Anywhere you can download the soundtrack to this, its amazing!! Reminds me of the old days playing the likes of turrican on the C64!

Corto: It's just a blast to play this on my Vita! Will check coconut dodge for sure, and every future games from FuturLab will jump to my radar automatically from now on.

gnarlycrow: Signed up for 3 months of PS+ because of the hype and it was almost worth it for this game alone (Trine 2 and Hard Corps don't hurt either). Loving the oldschool vibe joined with innovative new mechanics and awesome music.

wouwie: This thread made me curious so i bought it for my Vita. This is a great game! It has a very nice soundtrack and the gameplay is fun, addicitve and quite deep and complex. It takes some practise but it's worth it. It definately has that "one more time" feeling.

The_Darkest_Red: Started playing this on my Vita last night and I'm absolutely loving it. I played through the first 15 missions or so and I was incredibly impressed with how solid the gameplay and soundtrack are. It's also very impressive how the game keeps introducing new mechanics that are not only original but clever and fun. This game is a blast.

DesertEater: Your thread convinced me. It will be good for taking breaks between my Dark Souls sessions.

BentMyWookiee: I have PS+ and for some reason didn't download this game when it was available for free. But I just got a Vita and purchased Velocity over the weekend thanks to this thread and I absolutely love the game. It's definitely worth the asking price and I don't regret missing the chance to get the game for free.

sajj316: Excellent game. Came free for me with PS+ but transferred via PS3 (not on Vita-mini store). I hope they would do a SQL but give it the full HD/Vita treatment.

Magic Mushroom: Despite some high-profile releases, this is easily my most played game of the moment. Mastering the levels and the game's mechanics is an utter joy. The teleportation mechanics in particular are just so much fun. I'm not nearly as good at flinging bombs as the player in the video posted above, but I have perfected a huge chunk of the levels now and I won't rest until I have them all. And yes, the soundtrack is glorious. Get it if you haven't already.

Meatvillain: Almost passed this game over, thanks for the heads up. I just bought it on my Vita based on the strength of GAF's recommendation.

chris.trejo: My vita card got here yesterday and first thing I did was Download and install the game...shouldn't have done that played for 2 hours lol went to bed so late and I had a job interview today :p oh well back to playing!

Pylon_Trooper: I'm no shmup fan, but I nabbed Velocity and it's utterly fantastic. Alarmingly intuitive controls and mechanics. Really good stuff.

XOMTOR: Glad I stumbled upon this thread, purchased Velocity last night and it's a blast. Loaded it on my GO and played the first 8 levels but I think I'll save it for when I'm out and about; the pick up and play style is perfect plus I've kinda grown tired of iOS gaming; it's mighty nice to get back to having controls again.

Mastodonkey: Nice game, I've been playing this a ton on my psp over the last week.. I downloaded it, didn't expect anything special but wow one helluva a game.. thanks again ps+

========== This should be a clear indicator that people like it. Your impression will be displayed here for only 5 bucks! ==========

========== Vita wallpapers made by me ==========

-------
Thread will be updated regularly.

It's badass, you have to experience it for yourself. Please spread the word once you've purchased it, nowadays people can use a good asskicking by a retro-styled game.

Carl

The game really is amazing, and it has been severely overlooked due to simply being in the "mini" category.

It's a fantastic shooter with some really unique gameplay mechanics. It's the ultimate "just one more go" type of game and is honestly one of my favourite PSN games of the year so far.

I urge anyone to give it a go and not judge it simply because it's a "mini" game.

ZenaxPure

Yes, people should play this. Even if you aren't typically into the genre, it is very awesome. It's fitting that it's one of the last PS minis we got from PS+ before they did the E3 change since it's without a doubt the best (imo) mini they've given on the service.

jrronimo

You had me at "Watch this badass trailer." Downloading now.

Edit://
Yeah. If you're in Europe you can buy it direct on Vita. i believe the US still has to transfer it via PS3, though.

Well /that's/ annoying. Can one use Content Manager / MediaGo to accomplish this as well?

Also why is it different for different regions?? Argh... Sonyyyy! *shakes tiny fist of rage*

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
not to kill the hype but I keep trying the game but I just don't see the appeal. (I'm at level 12 now, maybe it starts getting really good later?)
Also how are you people that enjoy it controlling it? Analog seems to imprecise but digital doesn't feel great either.

Dusky

This game is all kinds of fun. On level 30 and getting gold on every level is quite the challenge ! Probably one of the best minis I've ever played.

Carl

not to kill the hype but I keep trying the game but I just don't see the appeal. (I'm at level 12 now, maybe it starts getting really good later?)
Also how are you people that enjoy it controlling it? Analog seems to imprecise but digital doesn't feel great either.

Fair enough, it's not a game for everyone. Personally i use the analogue, simply because i find it more comfortable and i find it easier for throwing bombs.

By the way, if you fancy having some Velocity wallpapering on your desktop, check these out
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2012/02/jazz_up_your_desktop_with_our_exclusive_velocity_wallpapers

And here's a lovely Velocity pic for your Vita lock screen too http://www.velocitygame.co.uk/images/Velocity_Hanger_PS_Vita.png

Drencrom

Got it for free with PS+, surprisingly really fun.

The composer behind the Killzone series evidently made the music for this.

kassatsu

Banned
Please name them?

Velocity
Coconut Dodge
Age of Zombies
Where is my Heart
Pix'N Love Rush
Nom Nation
Floating Cloud God Saves The Pilgrims
The 2D Adventures of Rotating Octopus Character
Knight Fortix 2
1000 Tiny Claws
Monsters Probably Stole My Princess
OMG-Z
Mighty Flip Champs! DX
A Space Shooter For 2 Bucks!
I Must Run!
Who&#8217;s That Flying?!
Aero Racer

That is 17

augmental

Velocity
Coconut Dodge
Age of Zombies
Where is my Heart
Pix'N Love Rush
Nom Nation
Knight Fortix 2
1000 Tiny Claws
OMG-Z
Mighty Flip Champs! DX
I Must Run!
Who’s That Flying?!

That is 16

Nice...Monsters Probably Stole My Princess, lol

Corto

My Vita started automatically downloading the game just as I was watching that trailer video. Amazing!

Duffyside, another mini recommendation: Where is my Heart. Already covered by Kassatsu ;)

VanWinkle

Love this game. I highly recommend playing it on the Vita: it's fantastic on there. Still, PS3 and PSP are good for it too. ;)

Carl

I know there's a list of reviews in the OP, but i thought it was worth posting the incredibly positive TheSixthAxis review, as it is pretty much my feelings.

Here's a link http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/05/02/velocity-review-minis/

And some of the highlights

I’ve sat here for quite a while now, struggling to put my thoughts on to virtual paper regarding Futurlab’s latest mini, Velocity. This problem isn’t because the game is bad, but because it’s so good that everything I write dissolves into an unintelligible, excited stream of nonsense. Putting aside all fancy words – Velocity is utterly wonderful.

At first it can feel a bit fiddly, as you get used to the idea of moving whilst also aiming the teleport reticule. Luckily the game’s learning curve is perfect, easing you in with decent sized areas to teleport in to. Of course, Futurlab don’t want things to be too easy, so a number of other features are introduced. Are you ready?

I’m having trouble expressing how fantastic it feels to perfect a level and blast through it at speed, teleporting effortlessly whilst scooping up dozens of survivor pods. It’s arcade gameplay at it’s very best.

If you play it on the Vita it’s even better. Not only does the Vita’s portable nature suit the gameplay better, but it looks pin-sharp and handles wonderfully. I got to level 29 on the PS3, started up a quick game on Vita to test it out and never actually went back to the PS3. Obviously that’s not to say those playing on the console will be getting the worst version, this is definitely not the case, but Velocity and the Vita are a perfect match.

It earned a perfect 10/10. Check the review out :)

magawolaz

Grabbed this when it was free on PS+, I think I'll buy it when my subscription expires. Really a good game, it deserves a thread :)

Velocity
Coconut Dodge
Age of Zombies
Where is my Heart
Pix'N Love Rush
Nom Nation
Knight Fortix 2
1000 Tiny Claws
OMG-Z
Mighty Flip Champs! DX
I Must Run!
Who’s That Flying?!
Aero Racer

That is 17
No Echoes? :(

brentech

Cool, was stored in my download list from carting it whenever it was on PS+.

Just got my vita the other day, a lot of minis didn't transfer successfully so I had stopped trying. I think I have like 6-7 on my vita right. Now. Downloading velocity as I type.

Carl

Grabbed this when it was free on PS+, I think I'll buy it when my subscription expires. Really a good game, it deserves a thread :)

No Echoes? :(

I think the message is that there are a lot more great Minis than people realise. People tend to have a "Minis are shit" idea.

brentech

Just came across this article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...inis-developer-laments-lack-of-trophies-demos

A sample:
PlayStation under-used minis service would get a huge shot in the arm if Sony allowed developers to include Trophies in their games, according to the developer behind critically lauded shoot 'em up Velocity.

Speaking in an interview with The Sixth Axis, Futurlab boss James Marsden argued that Sony's restrictive approach to the service is seriously impacting sales.

"Lack of trophies in minis is probably the single biggest turn-off for most gamers," said Marsden. "At least that's the impression we get from feedback on our games.

It's sad, but largely true.

Carl

Just came across this article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...inis-developer-laments-lack-of-trophies-demos

A sample:

It's sad, but largely true.

Yep, it is true. Sad though it is, a lot of people will ignore a game simply because it has no trophies. It's stupid, and i say that as a trophy whore.

On the other hand though, Marsden does sing the praises of the Minis programme, and Sony. Here's the original interview

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/06/11/futurlab-talk-minis-velocitys-sales-and-sony/

I signed up for PS+ because of this and I thought it was good, but not as amazing as I was expecting from reading those reviews.

Top Bottom