• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venture Beat: Nvidia CEO believes Switch will blow you away

ggx2ac

http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/08/n...ng-vr-autonomous-cars-and-shield-tv/view-all/

The only Nintendo question in a press event about Nvidia's keynote at CES.

Question: Since you expanded the Shield TV with all these new features, do you have a border with the Nintendo Switch? Is there anything you’re not going to do, like more tablet work? Is there some way that the Switch fits in with the Shield TV ecosystem?

Huang: Nintendo Switch is a game console. It’s very Nintendo. That entire experience is going to be very Nintendo. The beauty of that company, the craft of that company, the philosophy of that company—they’re myopically, singularly focused on making sure that the gaming experience is amazing, surprising, and safe for young people, for children. Their dedication to their craft, that singular dedication, is quite admirable. When you guys all see Switch, I believe people are going to be blown away, quite frankly. It’s really delightful. But it has nothing to do with AI.

Will you say wow?

Neoxon

Hurry up, Thursday!

On-topic, it kinda sounds like the Switch is still very much Nintendo's thing despite Nvidia's involvement. That said, Nvidia is still involved, so of course they're gonna hype it up.

Richie

As hyped and confident as I'm on the Switch it's not like he was gonna say otherwise, it being one of their products and all.

dnmt

Banned
No region lock and a unified account system are the things that will make me say wow for sure, but not exactly holding my breathe...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Nvidia talking about the Switch sounds funny when just a few short years ago they were talking up the death of consoles entirely and saying they were irrelevant, so salty about not getting any of those contracts.

Nevertheless, i'm glad they have Nintendo's back, i hope they don't screw them like they did Sony(with the RSX) and MS(with the OG Xbox)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Switch to have no AI, confirmed.

This is way having Jen-Hsun Huang at their event would be such a great idea, the man can sell this much better than anybody at Nintendo.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Huge ass monologue, then "but it has nothing to do with AI" lmao.

120v

c68621641638180343bf4f20b3e5845428b3ae1e0ecbecd87781fb8c341ccd52.jpg

ggx2ac

I don't know why he used the word myopically. Unless it's a mistake with the transcript.

myopic
adjective
short-sighted.
"most myopic children can be fitted with glasses to correct their vision"
synonyms: short-sighted;

lacking foresight or intellectual insight.
"the government still has a myopic attitude to public spending"
synonyms: unimaginative, uncreative, unadventurous, narrow-minded, lacking foresight, small-minded, short-term, narrow;

robotrock

Banned
Thats a slightly odd answer to that question, especially when he says it has nothing to with AI.
Nvidia is at CES this year with a huge focus on AI. He wanted to move on from that stupid Nintendo question, as it is a platform for children, and move back to the bigger picture.

foxbeldin

"Microsoft claims they made the most powerful console to date"

"Sony thinks the PS4 pro can compete with high-end PCs"

"Mark Cerny says Knack is GOAT."

Yeah, people who are involved in making something tend to do that.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'm confident it will and I hope preorders can be placed immediately after the reveal video, when most people are still sleeping in Europe. I want to be sure I can get it day one.

Oregano

It was in a press event about the keynote at CES hosted by Nvidia. It was about AI, Shield and self-driving cars. Not Nintendo.

Nvidia is at CES this year with a huge focus on AI. He wanted to move on from that stupid Nintendo question, as it is a platform for children, and move back to the bigger picture.

Yeah I get that but the question seems to be about whether the Switch is going to prevent/deter them from releasing certain products. Basically asking if the X1 Shield Tablet was cancelled because of it.

That seems like a somewhat valid question IMO.

To be honest, he doesn't really sound amazed.

This is also what I get from his words.

robotrock

Banned
Yeah I get that but the question seems to be about whether the Switch is going to prevent/deter them from releasing certain products. Basically asking if the X1 Shield Tablet was cancelled because of it.

That seems like a somewhat valid question IMO.
Yeah it's some masterful question dodging

AgeEighty

Heh, that title really cherry-picks the positive from those comments. Sounds to me like he's dismissing it as a toy, and propagating the typical line of thought where Nintendo's products aren't even in the same market as gaming for grown-ups.

No region lock and a unified account system are the things that will make me say wow for sure, but not exactly holding my breathe...

Funny how these are the things that will be "innovative" for Nintendo.

Switch being region-locked would be one of the most inane decisions in the history of inane decisions. A "grab-it-and-go-anywhere" console that isn't region-free and doesn't have multi-language support for the system OS and software (like the PS4 has)...I'd shit.

This attitude of "Oh you're a traveler living abroad? Too bad! Waluigi time!" with Nintendo consoles needs to fucking end.

ReyVGM

Thanks op. Someone else could have taken that quote and made a thread saying "Nvidia's CEO says the Switch is for 'young people, children'."

ggx2ac

Thanks op. Someone else could have taken that quote and made a thread saying "Nvidia's CEO says the Switch is for 'young people, children'."

Oh... Why didn't I do that? That would've been brilliant.

Instead I picked the exaggerated PR line.

spekkeh

Banned
I read "it's really Nintendo" as "it's all on them when it inevitably crashes and burns".

My glass is permanently almost empty.

Top Bottom