• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verge: "Everything you know about Marvel Comics is about to change"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyStu

Shit, even Berserk is building towards something. I don't care how long a story is a long as I know that it will end with some sort of resolution. What's the point of reading X-men or Spiderman when you know it will never end? There's no continuity, it just feels so pointless.

Most of these stories have arcs that act as termination points.

This is especially so when those arcs include a change of creative teams.

Not a hard concept to understand.

Oh, I've got some pretty fuckin' interesting insights into that whole industry, man :)

Of course you do.

Marvel has editorial retreats for a reason. Do they have everything planned out in meticulous detail six months in advance? No, but they're not going to do a slapdash New 52 on this.

Of course you do.

Okay.

I know about Marvel's retreats. I hear about what happens within them sometimes. Portland's got an interesting grapevine when it comes to that sorta shit, being that about 2/3rds of the industry lives up here :)

Marvel doesn't have shit planned out to anywhere NEAR the degree you guys seem to believe they do.

I mean, they're a little nicer to their creators, and a little more organized than DC, but at the end of the day - it's still the comics industry. And it is nothing if not amazingly, amusingly, ridiculously dysfunctional.

ReAxion

Get outta here with your silly theories. Plenty of books hovering at the 20k death zone don't get the boot. Like Silver Surfer. Why else would marvel keep silver surfer going, but not FF? I tell you why, because Norrin Rad won't be in the next FF film, that's why.

I can't do this anymore.

Except:

To be fair, the F4 are still involved in Secret Wars in a big way, & supposedly will be getting their comic back after Secret Wars.

So FF 'ends' next week when everything else does and comes back after SW. I wonder who the team is going to be?

It is typical of silly conspiracy theories to ignore facts.

Okay.

I know about Marvel's retreats. I hear about what happens within them sometimes. Portland's got an interesting grapevine when it comes to that sorta shit, being that about 2/3rds of the industry lives up here :)

Marvel doesn't have shit planned out to anywhere NEAR the degree you guys seem to believe they do.

I mean, they're a little nicer to their creators, and a little more organized than DC, but at the end of the day - it's still the comics industry. And it is nothing if not amazingly, amusingly, ridiculously dysfunctional.

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that tends to read megaevents.

Would any editorial team aprove crap like Age of Ultron or Secret Invasion if they knew from start to finish how those aberrations would develop (or if they weren't absolutely hammered when those events were discussed)? Heck, would they aprove One More Day?

It is typical of silly conspiracy theories to ignore facts.

Read the thread from the start, mate. That spoiler will make more sense then.

Coriolanus is just trolling, but some people will read that shit and run with it.

Was. Can only channel Gambit for so long.

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that tends to read megaevents.

Yeah, the proof is definitely in the pudding, yunno?

I mean, this whole event has already been described once as two pizzas getting mashed together, and now Alonso is telling people "We'll leave it up to you to decide what it is."

This is not the sound of a man who has a firm plan as to what's going to happen in the next 7-8 months.

marvel beat you to the punch dude

UnPao.jpg

Thanks for reminding me that volume of X-Treme X-Men existed. :(

Relevant:

Nice.

I mean, this whole event has already been described once as two pizzas getting mashed together, and now Alonso is telling people "We'll leave it up to you to decide what it is."

This is not the sound of a man who has a firm plan as to what's going to happen in the next 7-8 months.

Secret Wars ends in (at most) six months. They'll probably have to start announcing the All-New Marvel books by the end of next month.

Sheroking

I like reboots. Getting back to basics and expunging an often poisonous canon can help creatively and commercially.

New52's issue wasn't the "reboot", it was the execution after the fact.

Mudcrab

DeConnick claims he's doing that on purpose to stroke interest in Secret Wars. Pretty sure it's working, I think I've read that SW 1 has a massive amount of orders already.

Mudcrab

Speaking of Newsarma I should post it since I'm talking about it.

That's always made the most sense IMO. X-Men is so insular and pretty incongruous with the presence of beloved mutant-like characters elsewhere.

This isn't really the case, though.

I will agree that Marvel is doing some fairly baffling things with the SW tie-ins, at least - pretending that something called "Age of Ultron vs. Marvel Zombies" is an ongoing? Launching (I think) actual ongoings like Runaways and A-Force out of the Battleworld status quo?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I will agree that Marvel is doing some fairly baffling things with the SW tie-ins, at least - pretending that something called "Age of Ultron vs. Marvel Zombies" is an ongoing? Launching (I think) actual ongoings like Runaways and A-Force out of the Battleworld status quo?

and no exiles lineup. i cant be the only one to think this is odd.

Also, FWIW, I don't think the "whole event" was ever described as "two pizzas getting mashed together." I think that was only referring to the first issue, which is all about the Ultimate/616 incursion.

northead

this does not happen very often, and marvel has altered the state of their universe substantially in the run up to the event. it's the most significant thing they've done in their history to their existing IP.

Alright, it conflicts with the quoted post that follows, but...
Yeah, it's major, like every large event is. Marvel are into status quo changes, but not reboots. Every few years, they proclaim a new jumping point, start new stories in a new paradigm, get all the toys out of the chest, tell whatever they want to tell and move on to the next cycle.

Meanwhile, everything that has happened before remains, it's not unwritten and that's that.

I'm pretty sure if you look for articles about Civil War, Dark Reign, Heroic Age, Fear Itself, Marvel Now or Original Sin, you'll find the same kind of terms used.

It's the comics equivalent of Activision saying this year's CoD will change online FPSes forever. Of course it will.

...if this is the state of things, then I have a pretty clear idea ^^"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom