• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Versus XIII rumors and a message to Kagari!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exentryk

Lock if not thread worthy, but this information was offtopic in the Bravely Default thread.

------------------

So, for those that are unaware, this started yesterday when a Gamefaqs user name Aryllies (who has previously given some credible info regarding BDFF localisation) made a couple of posts about Versus XIII.

Post 1
I believe I've already talked about Versus didn't I?

It's been plagued by internal politics strife but is on track for a late 4th quarter 2013 or early 2014.

From what I've seen, it's a gutted project into which far too much money and time has been poured into. Regarding an official announcement, nothing is planned just yet but we are already ramping up partnerships with distributors/retailers.

Post 2:
Calling versus a numbered title is debatable at this point.
Anyways some reveals are planned for the TGS (mid september), as for E3 nothing much concerning Versus.

As I said in another topic, they're not even considering localisation as it stands now.
Japan first, we'll see later. Hardly a forward-thinking way of doing things.

Regarding the length of marketing campaigns there's no set rule. It pretty much depends on your definition of campaign. As far as I'm concerned, it takes about 1 year including planning for AAA titles and can take as little as 2 months for smaller projects overseas.

As for it conflicting with Lightning Returns. Not really. The tentative deadlines (Yes, such things do exist, as stupid as this may sound) are far from being too restrictive. Late 4th quarter is the most optimistic one for the game to be ready to ship. (Emphasis on ready.)

My educated guess from the info I have is that late 1st quarter is a far more likely release date. The fighting goes on here and some of the big players aren't too happy with the amount of money this has been costing them. Don't forget that they are pretty much aware that FFXIII versus has been an embarrassment for them worldwide. They don't want to ship a half baked product for this one, now that would truly make them a laughing stock.

Now this was countered by Kagari by the following posts:

Protip: This guy is full of shit.

Today, a user named Psxphreak from Gamefaqs who made a new account (a day ago) to say Aryllies's information is correct, and left a message for Kagari on the Versus Boards, as quoted below:

You dismissed Aryllies claim as if youre the authority on Square Enix and the Final Fantasy brand. Guess what? Youre not. Stop dismissing information as if it isnt true, especially in a case like this where it is. Im honestly surprised nobody on NeoGaf has actually called you out on this, because there are a couple people who post on Gaf that are working on the localization (and have been playing stupid about it for a good 6 months now..). Then again, NDAs arent worth breaking at the risk of losing business (and possible deportation as a result), as juicy as the info might be.

So here we go..

As of last week, the game known as Final Fantasy Versus XIII was shown behind closed doors to people from Gamestop Corporate, along with Final Fantasy X HD Collection, FFXIII:LR (which is coming sooner than you think) and Final Fantasy XIV:RR. Marketing for Lightning Returns is going to startup sometime in April, so be on the lookout for that.

Final Fantasy XIV is a Playstation 3 title, will have a redemption code for the PS4 downloadable version at no extra charge. There are no plans for a full retail release of XIV on PS4.

The releases of LR, FFXIV AND Versus will be no longer than 3-4 months apart from one another, starting with LR. The idea is to re-establish the FF brand on the current platforms to generate interest/hype for the Next-Gen title which is in its infancy right now.

Final Fantasy "VERSUS XIII" pre-production began almost 4 years ago. The reason why its taken so long is due to a number of things, including manpower/resources being re-allocated to help finish Crystal Tools, work on FFXIV's re-working and work on the Luminous Engine. The game is NO LONGER AN ACTION-RPG. Its more in-line with traditional Final Fantasy and has been described to me as a combination of FFXII and the Classic ATB. seen in the older games. Still a Playstation 3 exclusive (you can thank/hate Sony for that) and is slated to release this Winter in Japan and North America (sorry Europe.) The game being shown for PS4 is NOT FFVXIII. Voice Recording sessions for the Japanese version have been happening in waves for awhile now, and actually finished up last month. Sessions for the English voice cast are slated to start sometime in July, although some work is being done in advance preparation for the E3 Trailer.

Speaking of which, expect Square to hold their own E3 briefing, for the first time in recent memory. There is simply too much to announce between the internally-developed titles and the Eidos stuff. "Versus" wont be playable until the Fall TGS. Dont expect much to be shown about the game leading up to its release, in terms of content. Theyre taking the FFVII approach with this one and not letting too much be known about the Game World prior to release, including the antagonist's identity.

And a quick note about the Vita/3DS. Dont expect any Square Enix retail releases on Vita aside from FFX. Square has very little confidence in the platform and the only reason X is seeing a Vita release is because its cost-efficient. Almost ALL of Square Enix's support will be focused towards 3DS/iOS. In fact, there isnt even a dedicated team working on Vita titles internally. FFX is being farmed-out.

Feel free to bookmark this post and come back to it over the next couple of months, starting next month when marketing begins for LR. As more info leaks out, the credibility of this post will also increase (and Aryllies).

Remember, just because you know people, doesnt mean you KNOW. And knowing people in the US Branch isnt something you can use to discredit "rumors". Communication between whats happening internally over at SQE Japan and the US Branch is minimal. If Kagari does in fact have connections, theyre not very informed ones. PR people and low-level community managers dont count as "sources". People on the development side however, do.

Remember, keep this post bookmarked.

Looking forward to playing Final Fantasy X again this Summer...before E3 ; )

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The stuff he says is so ridiculously vague i dont even get how it could quantify as rumours. Might show up at TGS? Could release at the end of this year, early next? Wotta scoop! The corroborater goes into a lot more specific info though, which is weird. Back up vague with super in depth. Okay duder!

I guess the only thing of note would be "Japan first, maybe west later". I would damn near shitting lose my mind.

Then from the other guys: "The game is NO LONGER AN ACTION-RPG." sounds too bizarre to be possibly true.

Edit: Okay, FFXHD release before June is impossible. Throw it all out.

Soriku

As I said in the BD thread:

There's an inconsistency with this new rumor anyway. This poster claims there's an E3 trailer for Versus coming but the the other rumor poster says there isn't, as well as a localization is not being considered right now.

Interesting. I feel like there's quite a bit of truth in here.

But the guy even says himself that breaking NDAs is not worth losing a job over. So why is he doing it?

Paches

Final Fantasy "VERSUS XIII" pre-production began almost 4 years ago. The reason why its taken so long is due to a number of things, including manpower/resources being re-allocated to help finish Crystal Tools, work on FFXIV's re-working and work on the Luminous Engine. The game is NO LONGER AN ACTION-RPG. Its more in-line with traditional Final Fantasy and has been described to me as a combination of FFXII and the Classic ATB. seen in the older games. Still a Playstation 3 exclusive (you can thank/hate Sony for that) and is slated to release this Winter in Japan and North America (sorry Europe.) The game being shown for PS4 is NOT FFVXIII. Voice Recording sessions for the Japanese version have been happening in waves for awhile now, and actually finished up last month. Sessions for the English voice cast are slated to start sometime in July, although some work is being done in advance preparation for the E3 Trailer.

Yeah, not buying this at all.

Shinta

Banned
If Versus XIII is a command-RPG, there is no God.

Copied from the other thread.

If Versus is really not an action RPG but is instead more classic, you can thank all the haters that have made it their mission in life to destroy the FF brand online for the last 4 years.

This is what it looks like for a series to stay in the past to cater to purists, rather than move forward with something new.

It's a big "if" though. I don't know if I believe anything that guy said. Still an entertaining read.

Seda

Aryilles: "As I said in another topic, they're not even considering localisation as it stands now."

Psxphreak: "Still a Playstation 3 exclusive (you can thank/hate Sony for that) and is slated to release this Winter in Japan and North America"

huh

EDIT: Already pointed out.

Great, another FF's potential squandered by organisational politics. And what's this? Not an action RPG anymore? Seems like anytime a director wants to move the brand in a new direction the higher ups come and kick their creative vision out the window

As I said in another topic, they're not even considering localisation as it stands now.
Japan first, we'll see later. Hardly a forward-thinking way of doing things.

Am I missing something here or is this contradictory?

Jarmel

Banned
Aryilles: "As I said in another topic, they're not even considering localisation as it stands now."

Psxphreak: "Still a Playstation 3 exclusive (you can thank/hate Sony for that) and is slated to release this Winter in Japan and North America"

huh

EDIT: Already pointed out.

I guess that could mean they aren't actually working on localization right now but it's planned anyway for Winter.

DaBuddaDa

If true, I don't think a gutted Versus, a third XIII game nobody asked for, and a retooling of their failed MMO is a good way to reignite interest in the FF brand, Square :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Bigger news here is FFXII:I:ZJS isn't being a portable port on the system getting FFX.

Y U NO WANT MY MONEY, SQUARE? :( Fuck X, give me XII: International. >:|

JJD

Its more in-line with traditional Final Fantasy and has been described to me as a combination of FFXII and the Classic ATB.

This is just too good to be true...

Bigger news here is FFXII:I:ZJS isn't being a portable port on the system getting FFX.

Y U NO WANT MY MONEY, SQUARE? :( Fuck X, give me XII: International. >:|

I always knew I liked you for a reason Seks...

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Now I await Kagari's response

So excited!

X0p0T.gif

wrowa

I don't think we should give room to someone openly insulting one of our better known posters to be honest. This thread is all that he wanted to achieve anyway.

At least use your real account, mr whoeveryouare.

He made an account yesterday to reveal this. Use and throw account?

That discredits this whole thing even more.

Might as well say ''I have a source that told me Final Fantasy Versus XIII is now 360 exclusive and coming out as a surprise release on the day of MS E3 press conference''. Doesn't make it true.

I'd love for him to be right mind, just seems like a load of rubbish.

Yawnier

Banned
There is way to many claims and information here from the various people that is crossing paths with each other/contradicting each other.

I find it hard to believe anyone here.

Not willing to believe it, but Versus being an ATB driven game would put it on my radar.

Action-RPG is the last direction I want the franchise to go in. That's a shitacular slippery slope that I have absolutely no faith a series in such awful hands as Final Fantasy wouldn't slide down.

Copied from the other thread.

All hail the homogenization of fucking everything.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kagari's one sentence rebuttals on blast.

Still being a PS3 exclusive is surprising though, after this long. I guess they really just can't afford it.

Jesus, Square Enix, you obviously can't make HD ports like the big boys so just release FF X, X-2 and XII on PS2 classics. You can even charge 15$!

Jeels

Kagari knows what's going on. She's on the dot on these things. Why trust no name posters registering out of the blue?

Plus, the first poster's sentiments reeks of Square Enix sort of throwing this project away. It's their most hyped game and we don't even have real footage of it. It isn't a throwaway project.

Also first guy says they don't care about localization, second says people have seen it in localized form. Okay.

Metaroo

I've come to the point where anything regarding Versus XIII just SOUNDS like bullshit. I agree with Kagari on this one. Why would they transition the game back into an ATB gauge game when the action combat they had was just fine? This game is just one large internal failure.

Also just noticed this:

Anyways some reveals are planned for the TGS (mid september), as for E3 nothing much concerning Versus.

Voice Recording sessions for the Japanese version have been happening in waves for awhile now, and actually finished up last month. Sessions for the English voice cast are slated to start sometime in July, although some work is being done in advance preparation for the E3 Trailer.

Seda

Kagari's given us no real reason to not trust her and these guys have given us no real reason to trust them

itxaka

Defeatist
Kagari knows what's going on. She's on the dot on these things. Why trust no name posters registering out of the blue?

Wasn't kagari the one who sweared over the most sacred things on earth about ff13 never releasing on 360?

Exentryk

What was the credible info about BDFF? That it's never coming out, ever?

He said this a week before the official tweet:

Hello there.

Guess who has good news for you.
Bravely Default will be localised, the decision has been made.
So that's for the good news.

Now for the less good: No date or even a hint of a deadline has been set for the START of the localisation. It seems they're not in any hurry to earn more money and garner respect from the player base.

However this comes with another big news: Something big will happen in Japan around September/start of 4th quarter and it's about a certain FF title haha but I really can't say more. They're currently meeting some of the biggest retailers concerning a big advertising campaign.

I don't know when this will be officially announced however but I suppose this should be good enough news.
Rejoice and be happy. (And keep this quiet if possible. ;p)

Sakujou

Banned
Just dont give a fuck.

S-E takes ages to get shit done.

Ill just have my cup of tea and wait.

Well, my expectations for Versus 13 have been lowered, so i cant be disappointed to see the final product if there ever will be one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom