• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Tech: Far Cry 6 PS5 & Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Test

Zathalus

PS5 uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3392x1908 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2944x1656. Xbox Series X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 3072x1728. Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1920x1080.

FPS Stats:

Frame Rate StatisticsPS5Xbox Series XXbox Series S
Mean Frame Rate59.94fps59.99fps60fps
Median Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Minimum Frame Rate57fps58fps59fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate58fps59fps60fps

Resolution advantage for the XSX works out to 9-28%. FPS, from the above, is virtually identical with a slight edge to the XSX.

Xbox Series S is hitting 60 fps consistently than the PS5 and XSX?

Confused Excuse Me GIF by GIPHY News

I'm impressed if so, even if not by much.

Last edited:
Solid performance across the board. Xbox has the edge with a better resolution.
However is the game formula starting to feel stale? We'll see.

Rea

Shitty big ass polygons, UE5 couldn't come soon enough. I love far cry games, gonna wait for sales. Ubisoft should upgrade their engine to render small polygons, going forward.

Last edited:

Zok310

Banned
Shitty big ass polygons, UE5 couldn't come soon enough. I love far cry games, gonna wait for sales. Ubisoft should upgrade their engine to render small polygons, going forward.
Worse far cry visually, it’s a lazy FC3. After playing for about 5 hours im not impressed, game feels very low effort.

Zathalus

It seems to be one of those (very) rare cases where XSX has both FPS and resolution advantage. I wonder if XSX uses VRS and if all the graphical settings are identical. Still, in short the game's engine seem to fit XSX architecture well.
VG Tech is generally very good on picking up on the differences between platforms. I'd be very surprised if there is any other differences than resolution, as it seems almost all multiplatform games with a dynamic resolution scaler just use that to optimize for both consoles. As far as the next-gen consoles go, other then the resolution, the only difference is between the XSX/PS5 and XSS. No VRS for any platform it appears (not even on PC) which is a pity, as that help maintain a higher resolution.

Looking at the results for both consoles, RT could have easily been added for both the PS5/XSX and resolution would still have been fine. But the RT seems very lacklustre in this game so I am not even sure if the trade-off would have been worth it.

Rea

Worse far cry visually, it’s a lazy FC3. After playing for about 5 hours im not impressed, game feels very low effort.
Thx for info. Then I'm gonna wait for heavy sales promotion or get 2nd hand copy.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well you seems to be quite an optimist, is Ubisoft, they don't use Unreal Engine and other Engines I am sure are going to take quite a long time to develop to that level.

Reactions: Rea

Lysandros

VG Tech is generally very good on picking up on the differences between platforms. I'd be very surprised if there is any other differences than resolution, as it seems almost all multiplatform games with a dynamic resolution scaler just use that to optimize for both consoles. As far as the next-gen consoles go, other then the resolution, the only difference is between the XSX/PS5 and XSS. No VRS for any platform it appears (not even on PC) which is a pity, as that help maintain a higher resolution.
I of course agree on Vgtech being quite capable at picking the differences, but he generally doesn't go as much (obviously can not, because of the format) in detail about graphical settings as say NXgamer or DF. Additional info from other solid sources can only be a good thing. Thanks about the VRS info by the way.

Rea

Well you seems to be quite an optimist, is Ubisoft, they don't use Unreal Engine and other Engines I am sure are going to take quite a long time to develop to that level.
Hopefully Sony's ICE team has some cards up their sleeves. Currently nothing comes close to Nanite in terms of Geometry details. And on top of those details, there's NO Pop-in, NO LOD. Its amazing stuff.

M1chl

Hopefully Sony's ICE team has some cards up their sleeves. Currently nothing comes close to Nanite in terms of Geometry details. And on top of those details, there's NO Pop-in, NO LOD. Its amazing stuff.
Is that tech patented? Because it might prove to be difficult.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Rea

ParaSeoul

Fixed.

The 30fps norm on consoles will return within the next couple of years.
Even with the CPU bottlenecks,last gen had more 60fps games near the end than at the start so I don't know how much more powerful hardware would go back to 30fps.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Even with the CPU bottlenecks,last gen had more 60fps games near the end than at the start so I don't know how much more powerful hardware would go back to 30fps.

Because the visuals will start getting pumped up to 100 and you will need a high end PC if you want to play those games at 1440p/4k @ 60fps.

This pattern repeats itself every single generation but for some reason people always forget this at the start of every generation during the honeymoon period.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Because the visuals will start getting pumped up to 100 and you will need a high end PC if you want to play those games at 1440p/4k @ 60fps.

This pattern repeats itself every single generation but for some reason people always forget this at the start of every generation during the honeymoon period.
well see scream queens GIF

Arioco

I of course agree on Vgtech being quite capable at picking the differences, but he generally doesn't go as much (obviously can not, because of the format) in detail about graphical settings as say NXgamer or DF. Additional info from other solid sources can only be a good thing. Thanks about the VRS info by the way.

Yep, VGTech is probably the best and most reliable source when in comes to resolution and frame rate analysis, but they don't pay too much attention to other possible differences like settings and whatnot. I really love that they always leave the stats for eveone to see the exact differences in performance, though. DF and NXG are more in-depth analysis, but even they miss some details at times.

Unpopular oppinion: I like ElAnalistaDeBits too. Sure, he's made some mistakes in the past (he always wants to be the first to show us his comparisons and he probably should take a bit more time), but Rafael (that's his real name) is a very nice guy and I'm sure any mistake he could make is unintentional. And usually his analysis are not that inaccurate to be honest, look at this one for instance, the results are essentially the same as VGTech.

M1chl

But PC pretty much moved from the 60FPS, tho. So there might be some chance.

It's a shame that the PS5 game isn't completely locked to 60 fps because I've heard that it has the usual Ubisoft exclusive feature: screen tearing!!! I personally hate to see screen tearing in any game as it completely takes me out of the experience and I'm very sensitive to it. In fact, the ONLY PS5 games I've seen screen tearing in this current generation is in Ubisoft games, specifically the 60 fps modes in Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Immortals: Fenyx Rising and Watch Dogs: Legions. They really need to optimise better or use triple buffering or something to avoid the issue. I also think someone should tell the developers at Ubisoft that screen tearing isn't a next-gen graphical feature! :messenger_winking_tongue:

Of course, the PS5 still not supporting VRR does not help matters as at least you can workaround it on the Xbox Series S/X and even the Xbox One X (which has had VRR for four years... FOUR YEARS... did you read that, Sony!!!). Optimisation should always take priority though over using VRR but at this point we really should not be seeing screen tearing in current gen games in my opinion.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
It's a shame that the PS5 game isn't completely locked to 60 fps because I've heard that it has the usual Ubisoft exclusive feature: screen tearing!!! I personally hate to see screen tearing in any game as it completely takes me out of the experience and I'm very sensitive to it. In fact, the ONLY PS5 games I've seen screen tearing in this current generation is in Ubisoft games, specifically the 60 fps modes in Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Immortals: Fenyx Rising and Watch Dogs: Legions. They really need to optimise better or use triple buffering or something to avoid the issue. I also think someone should tell the developers at Ubisoft that screen tearing isn't a next-gen graphical feature! :messenger_winking_tongue:

Of course, the PS5 still not supporting VRR does not help matters as at least you can workaround it on the Xbox Series S/X and even the Xbox One X (which has had VRR for four years... FOUR YEARS... did you read that, Sony!!!). Optimisation should always take priority though over using VRR but at this point we really should not be seeing screen tearing in current gen games in my opinion.
Screen tearing is an issue in all versions.
Series S is the version that do that better in that regard but it still have some screen tearing.

PS5 and Series X has around 20x more screen tearing than Series S.

It is really something devs should work to avoid it… it is pretty bad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom