• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Tech: Kingdom Hearts 0.2 PS4 vs PS4 Pro Frame Rate Test

https://youtu.be/uG-dKjReSK8

Frame Pacing issues are back in another Square Enix title.

PS4 Pro -> 1080p, unlocked framerate bouncing between the 30s and 50s
PS4 -> 900p, 30fps most of the time, but frame pacing issues

No smooth version. Welp.

The version tested was 1.01 for both the PS4 and the PS4 Pro.

The clip starting at 3:54 is a pre-rendered FMV.

Kingdom Hearts 0.2 runs at a native resolution of 1600x900 on PS4 and 1920x1080 on PS4 Pro. FMVs for both versions run at a native resolution of 1920x1080(http://imgur.com/a/oEFeQ).

Stats: http://bit.ly/2jupBSJ
PS4 Frames Pixel Counted: http://imgur.com/a/pI4zK
PS4 Pro Frames Pixel Counted: http://imgur.com/a/07gKr

BigEmil

PS4
900p, 30fps locked, some framepacing on both
PS4 Pro
1080p, unlocked fps (average around 50fps)

Danlord

Is it just me or is it weird having the footage split-screen but the FPS view on one side and frame-time graph on the other side. So PS4 side has both FPS counter and PS4 Pro has the frame-time graph..

burgerdog

Play Gravity Rush 2 with its near perfect 30fps and correct frame pacing, then switch to FFXV. The difference is incredible.

Is there something with Sony's tools that dev's aren't using right? Frame pacing issues only seem to affect stuff on the PS4.

You don't see games on XB1 with incorrect frame pacing. It's like the AF issue all over again.

BigEmil

This can serve as a good beta for Square-Enix to polish up KH3 further on Unreal Engine 4 for the PS4 consoles, it's also their first UE4 developed game

icespide

Banned
sounds like they simply bumped it up to 1080p, unlocked the frame rate and called it a day. would have been nice if they could have found some optimizations to get it closer to a locked 60 and/or offer a locked 30 option

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
PS4 Pro should be able to run this game at 1080p/60 in its sleep. Don't know what Square are playing at.

Why should it be able to run 0.2 in its sleep at 1080p60?

The FPS gains as shown are about in line with what one would expect with the CPU upclock

I wonder if this the performance to expect from the "60fps" patch that SE promised for FFXV...in december.
Also weird that UE4 is struggling to run these games. I thought it was supposed to be much better to use.

Is it just me or is it weird having the footage split-screen but the FPS view on one side and frame-time graph on the other side. So PS4 side has both FPS counter and PS4 Pro has the frame-time graph..

It drives me crazy every time I watch a DF video..

I wonder if this the performance to expect from the "60fps" patch that SE promised for FFXV...in december.
Also weird that UE4 is struggling to run these games. I thought it was supposed to be much better to use.

No idea if we will ever get this patch, but if so I imagine it will just unlock the framerate on light mode and won't fix the frame pacing issues on the other one. I can't see how it will run with 60fps. The lite mode is by today the only acceptable mode on a Playstation 4 system in terms of performance with only mild frame pacing isses in cutscenes and I bet that Square Enix somehow will ruin it by unlocking the framerate... :/ Let's hope not. But seeing this game I think XV might be another game like the From Software titles where these issues will never be fixed.

Ventara

lol, 0.2. I don't follow the KH series, but is that supposed to be a play on how 2.8 + 0.2 will lead to KH3 release?

A 30fps cap option on Pro would've been nice. But unlocked framerates don't really bother me too much, at least the ones that average out at the 45 or so range. I could see how it's disorienting to others, though.

I played a bit on the base PS4, and the framepacing immediately stuck out to me too, which is weird, because I barely noticed it in FFXV (and I played with the High settings on Pro). That really needs to be fixed more than anything.

lol, 0.2. I don't follow the KH series, but is that supposed to be a play on how 2.8 + 0.2 will lead to KH3 release?

Exactly that, yeah.

BigEmil

UE4 is a pretty poor performing engine isn't it?

I think UE4 is not as optimised on consoles compared to other third party engines such as Frostbite engine or Fox engine performance wise
But overall it's still a great vast engine for any devs to use

EmiPrime

Why should it be able to run 0.2 in its sleep at 1080p60?

The FPS gains as shown are about in line with what one would expect with the CPU upclock

It is, yes. Like they enabled the Neo flag, upped the res ever so slightly and then called it a day (apologies to any devs if this sounds insulting reductive).

0.2 doesn't look like a very CPU intensive game, the Pro GPU is capable of a lot more than this.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It is, yes. Like they enabled the Neo flag, upped the res ever so slightly and then called it a day (apologies to any devs if this sounds insulting reductive).

0.2 doesn't look like a very CPU intensive game, the Pro GPU is capable of a lot more than this.

That's not something you know based on the KH 0.2 code

jackdoe

You have to treat 0.2 as the Episode Duscae of the Kingdom Hearts franchise, and in that regard, its performance is actually pretty solid. I think the particle effects are the real framerate killer though.

xion4360

Boss fight lows to 20-25 under some boss attacks.

I just saw that last bit.. looks like its not well optimized there. Its not the engines fault tho.

Why on Earth would that be your conclusion? How about the publisher doesn't give a shit, seeing as how FFXV runs poorly as well and is on a different engine.

FFXV runs well, its framepacing that is the problem.

xion4360

Frame pacing is a performance issue. It doesn't run well.

its still producing 30+ FPS. you can fix the uneven delivery of those frames and the game will look very smooth.. its different kind of bad performance than low framerate, that takes more work to fix I would think. FFXV on lite runs very well.

Hoje0308

Banned
its still producing 30+ FPS. you can fix the uneven delivery of those frames and the game will look very smooth.. its different kind of bad performance than low framerate, that takes more work to fix I would think. FFXV on lite runs very well.

You can "fix" dropped frames, it's still a performance issue. And yes, it runs mostly fine while in lite mode on Pro, which is a console more than twice as powerful as the hardware it was targeting. Not exactly a great success.

Top Bottom