• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] Mortal Kombat 11 PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Test

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think you might be setting yourself up for disappointment. Or at the very least these super high fidelity games will be available across the board and not exclusive to ps.

If it's available across the board then it's great, means multiplats will look great. But let's enjoy the games in hand for now and see how it'll unfold in the future.

I think PC will have a massive jump over PS5 and and even bigger over XSX when PCIe 5.0 motherboards come, that's when I'll build another PC. Data streaming is the future, 5-7 levels of LOD is getting ancient.

Clear win for Xbox here, which us interesting. I wonder if this will be the case for most fighting games going forward, as they seem to be something that would likely be playing to the XSX’s strengths generally.

BigLee74

RT is possible due to dedicated RT hardware in Series S.

And 60fps and 120fps are made possible due to a massive CPU upgrade. If One X's GPU were to be paired with Zen 2 CPU, it'd also do 60fps in Valhalla & 120fps in those titles you mentioned, likely even better than Series S does mainly because One X's GPU has 45% more bandwidth available to it and this likely also explains why One X is able to hit higher resolution more often than Series S in some games.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing though. I understand why Series S exists, I'm not bashing it. Don't get offended :messenger_hushed: now because I said "One X GPU > Series S GPU". I'm sure Series S's RDNA 2.0 excels in other areas where One X's GCN 4.0 doesn't. Like BC for e.g. and ofc MS knows what they are doing. 👍🏻

Did you just say that if the X1X had more powerful and capable hardware in it, then it would be a better machine?

Kind of like if my auntie had balls, she’d be my uncle?

So please tell me how much it gives the GPU in the PS5 for extra performance compared to the stock AMD GPU without it.
I can tell you that VRS Tier 2 gives a 14% performance boost to the GPU.
MS have quantified the savings through VRS. Its legit tech that has been adopted by MS, AMD and Nvidia.

People on here throw out "Cache Scrubbers" like its some amazing thing that boosts the PS5 GPU over a stock AMD GPU. Ok then, tell me how much extra performance it gives the PS5 GPU over a stock AMD one.
Fact is you, nor anyone else here, can do it, because none of US know what, if much, it does for the GPU.

So why are you irritated that it does help the GPU out?

Also your wrong about it increasing the GPUs performance. It actually helps stop the GPU from performing worse when cache misses happen. This is especially problematic in a GPU with a very small cache as misses occur more often in that then a GPU with a much larger cache.

Speaking of having a large cache GPUs with massive caches can store a large amount of data. Cache misses occur far less often in those GPUs so they don't really need cache scrubbers. Hence one of the reasons why AMD chose to adopt a huge cache called the Infinity Cache in their GPUs.

If the PS5 didn't have cache scrubbers it's small cache would cause it quite a bit of issues.

Unknown?

This thread will die in a second, I mean we only have a huge difference here, only 16% in resolution and a much better FPS, but still, having just slightly better FPS in a few scenes in destiny is much more important of course.
Of course, no one cares what Xbox fans have to say after claiming PS5 would be a 1440 machine and SX a 4K machine.

Md Ray

Did you just say that if the X1X had more powerful and capable hardware in it, then it would be a better machine?

Kind of like if my auntie had balls, she’d be my uncle?
I said X1X is already powerful enough, has more grunt than even Series S, the GPU due to its raw memory bandwidth I mean.

Last edited:
So why are you irritated that it does help the GPU out?

Also your wrong about it increasing the GPUs performance. It actually helps stop the GPU from performing worse when cache misses happen. This is especially problematic in a GPU with a very small cache as misses occur more often in that then a GPU with a much larger cache.

Speaking of having a large cache GPUs with massive caches can store a large amount of data. Cache misses occur far less often in those GPUs so they don't really need cache scrubbers. Hence one of the reasons why AMD chose to adopt a huge cache called the Infinity Cache in their GPUs.

If the PS5 didn't have cache scrubbers it's small cache would cause it quite a bit of issues.
Why would I be irritated by Sony adding something to their GPU?
I hope both Sony, Nvidia, MS, AMD and even Intel all add great new tech to their GPUS. I want to see innovation.
I find it funny seeing fanboys throwing around a term like Cache Scrubbers as some sort of killer secret sauce when in reality they have no idea what effect it has to performance gain.
They were also throwing around "Geometry Engine" and "Primitive Shaders" like it was the next big thing when in reality its a stock AMD feature going back to Vega cards.
Heck, even the XSX has a Geometry Engine. Primitive Shaders are an older tech which has been surpassed by Mesh Shaders.
Alot of these additions don't have a real big effect on performance.
Remember when MS announced the XOX that they changed the CPU and added changes around calls and caches to boost efficiency, yet in real world it wasn't a game changer in any regard. Maybe a percent better here and there.
Sony may well have some other changes to their SOC that we will learn about that does have some extra boost to performance. I am open to the PS 5CPU having combined L3 cache, which we will see when someone xrays the chip.
That would have a real effect on latency.

squarealex

Xbox Series X is a truly beast... +16% at the lowest resolution for 2 seconds of gameplay. Sorry Sony, my choice is done.

Last edited:
Why would I be irritated by Sony adding something to their GPU?
I hope both Sony, Nvidia, MS, AMD and even Intel all add great new tech to their GPUS. I want to see innovation.
I find it funny seeing fanboys throwing around a term like Cache Scrubbers as some sort of killer secret sauce when in reality they have no idea what effect it has to performance gain.
They were also throwing around "Geometry Engine" and "Primitive Shaders" like it was the next big thing when in reality its a stock AMD feature going back to Vega cards.
Heck, even the XSX has a Geometry Engine. Primitive Shaders are an older tech which has been surpassed by Mesh Shaders.
Alot of these additions don't have a real big effect on performance.
Remember when MS announced the XOX that they changed the CPU and added changes around calls and caches to boost efficiency, yet in real world it wasn't a game changer in any regard. Maybe a percent better here and there.
Sony may well have some other changes to their SOC that we will learn about that does have some extra boost to performance. I am open to the PS 5CPU having combined L3 cache, which we will see when someone xrays the chip.
That would have a real effect on latency.

Honestly the most revolutionary update in these two systems is the I/O. Everything else are nice improvements but nothing as massive as the I/O is.

As for the Geometry Engine your right its something that goes back a few years. But your wrong about the geometry engine in the PS5 being old technology.

PlayStation 5 has a new unit called the Geometry Engine which brings handling of triangles and other primitives under full programmatic control.

The PlayStation 4 also uses a geometry engine. It's the full programmatic control that makes it new in the PS5.

I know your trying to tell me the PS5 is underpowered when compared to the XSX but I'm not seeing that in the comparisons. The two seem to be extremely close to each other.

Top Bottom