• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] Resident Evil Village PS4/Pro vs PS5 Frame Rate Comparison (Gameplay Demo)

assurdum

Banned
I mean if every game was 1440P vs 4K then sure there's a big difference between the two. But it's nowhere near that. Certainly people like Dealer were very wrong with their predictions.
Well hearing someone 4k on Hitman was transformative compared 1800p. If I hadn't zoomed closely to the small details, I could have swear it used the same resolution on both console.

Last edited:
Well hearing someone 4k on Hitman was transformative compared 1800p. If I hadn't zoomed closely to the small details, I could have swear it used the same resolution on both console.

I'm sorry about that. I definitely overacted with the Hitman comparison. After doing a bit of research it really isn't a huge difference between the two. I certainly wouldn't be able to tell the difference on my screen. If I really can't tell the difference between 1440P and 4K on my screen then 1800P and 4K will be even harder to spot.

assurdum

Banned
I'm sorry about that. I definitely overacted with the Hitman comparison. After doing a bit of research it really isn't a huge difference between the two. I certainly wouldn't be able to tell the difference on my screen. If I really can't tell the difference between 1440P and 4K on my screen then 1800P and 4K will be even harder to spot.
To be honest I was referring to DF face off not you 😉

Mr Moose

The higher you go, the less obvious it is.
Hell, even 1440p games can look really clean/sharp.
There's obviously a huge pixel count difference between 1440p and 4k but there's different factors that come into play. Is the AA dog shit? AF? Textures? What's the framerate like?
I'm currently playing Persona 5 Strikers and it can look like shit at times because the AA is dog shit, Persona 5 Royal looked much better.

This is my issue, guns, or even the bows on demons souls. It’s like the game wants to give you resistance but if it’s a pistol and you pull the trigger in quick succession the trigger will force against you once then skip the second time and go loose or something. I have no idea what the dev is going for or if it’s the tech is not fast enough to offer the resistance in quick succession. I also just feel like I’m trying to break the controller forcing my finger against something that’s moving against me.

I really, really dislike it the more it’s getting used. Just leave it to games that are completely designed around it like Astro. Such hype around it near launch and I think it’s bad.
Yeah this is exactly my situation - with the shooting and the bow in demon souls - feels wrong to me. Control was probably the worst as of yet

Kuranghi

And the guys hair, and his scarf, and his face, and her neck, and her shoulder, and the snow, and the building beneath the overhang. I understand some people just can’t spot differences, but they are there and it’s worth playing in RT because it seems there’s almost no downside to it.

It looks to me that some of those differences are caused by ambient occlusion being disabled in the RT version, like Elisa's face being evenly lit in the RT version. You can see this lack of AO in some of the comparison videos so thats what I thought of when I saw the screenshot of her face looking like that, but it could just be that the RT GI is more accurately lighting her face though.

I like some of the differences in the screenshots but could take it or leave most of the time and prefer the non-RT mode some of the time, I'm lucky enough to have a decent PC as well so will play there if RT ends up being not a big deal to me so I can get the higher settings and native 4K, this CBR 4K looks amazing so can't wait to see native.

I just finished playing the demo, I only played in RT mode and it looked fantastic but the frame drops were pretty evident while looking around and in cutscenes, although that was mostly outdoors. From the difference in screenshots I'm not really sold on it being worth it yet since I'm sure it will drop more than a few frames in big battles and set pieces which are the moments when I want to be thinking about the framerate the least.

I await that castle demo though, it could have insane use of RT reflections or some other form of RT, pretty excited now!

Last edited:

Kangx

I think the Hitman engine favor series x, but it is not as big as a gap somes have made it out to be. The culprit is DRS. Hitman engine doesn't do DRS. If it was, we might have a situation like like assassin creed, but it favors the series x. We will see drop in resolution and more stable from rate from the ps5, as we have seen assassin creed with drop in resolution and more stable on the x. Both machine will have engines favor one or another, and we have already seen the trend.

Mr Moose

I think the Hitman engine favor series x, but it is not as big as a gap somes have made it out to be. The culprit is DRS. Hitman engine doesn't do DRS. If it was, we might have a situation like like assassin creed, but it favors the series x. We will see drop in resolution and more stable from rate from the ps5, as we have seen assassin creed with drop in resolution and more stable on the x. Both machine will have engines favor one or another, and we have already seen the trend.
Yeah it fits with the 16:9 aspect ratio.
Lazy port but still, some people would take the fps over res (though 1800p is high enough).

Okay... hats off. Amazing fucking performance on PS5. I love to see this kind of optimization.

Steve Austin Crickets GIF by Chris Hranj

Umbral

It looks to me that some of those differences are caused by ambient occlusion being disabled in the RT version, like Elisa's face being evenly lit in the RT version. You can see this lack of AO in some of the comparison videos so thats what I thought of when I saw the screenshot of her face looking like that, but it could just be that the RT GI is more accurately lighting her face though.

I like some of the differences in the screenshots but could take it or leave most of the time and prefer the non-RT mode some of the time, I'm lucky enough to have a decent PC as well so will play there if RT ends up being not a big deal to me so I can get the higher settings and native 4K, this CBR 4K looks amazing so can't wait to see native.

I just finished playing the demo, I only played in RT mode and it looked fantastic but the frame drops were pretty evident while looking around and in cutscenes, although that was mostly outdoors. From the difference in screenshots I'm not really sold on it being worth it yet since I'm sure it will drop more than a few frames in big battles and set pieces which are the moments when I want to be thinking about the framerate the least.

I await that castle demo though, it could have insane use of RT reflections or some other form of RT, pretty excited now!
I didn’t run into many noticeable frame drops, which lines up with the assessment posted on page 1. I didn’t get too far into the demo though, right where you try to break out with the truck. I’m not sure where that is but 30 mins went quick.

Playing it on PC should be a pretty awesome experience, if you‘ve got enough power.

I'm actually now interested in this fucking game, but god damn I'm also deathly afraid of games like this. I've never finished a single Resident Evil except Resident Evil 4 because everybody said it was one of the greatest games ever that I just had to beat.

The graphics aren't much to write home about, but damn that production value and animation. Everything looks so fucking good. And the story seems really interesting.

Mr Moose

I'm actually now interested in this fucking game, but god damn I'm also deathly afraid of games like this. I've never finished a single Resident Evil except Resident Evil 4 because everybody said it was one of the greatest games ever that I just had to beat.

The graphics aren't much to write home about, but damn that production value and animation. Everything looks so fucking good. And the story seems really interesting.
So far it reminds me of Resi 4 but I will need more convincing (didn't try the demos, I've played most of the final games, didn't like 7).
I hope it's not more of Resi 7.

Can we get some credit to the fucking animators though!? LOOK AT IT!!!!!!! The game is likely to scare the shit outta me and I still want to play it because of how much the performances are pulling me in, and even the walk animation with the camera bob. It all looks so damn good. Ignore the raw in your face visuals, but that production value is fucking insane.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Capcom CBR is very good. It's barely distinguable to native resolution to be honest. Though I'm quite shocked they can't handle native 4k on ps5 if 4k cbr it's possible on pro...
For the same reason, I am pretty sure they could. But would it have been worth going to extra mile (and doing dev work + QA) for nigh indistinguishable improvements? I think that's why Capcom didn't do it.

I think the 4k CB looked great. Native would look better in a side by side but not worth the extra overhead imo.

My issue wasn't resolution but asset quality. Some of the textures are seriously PS3 quality while some look amazing giving a indie like vibe were everything is really inconsistent.

The grass was straight out of something like Stalker while some things look photoreal if you squint a bit (ok maybe a lot).

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think the 4k CB looked great. Native would look better in a side by side but not worth the extra overhead imo.

My issue wasn't resolution but asset quality. Some of the textures are seriously PS3 quality while some look amazing giving a indie like vibe were everything is really inconsistent.

The grass was straight out of something like Stalker while some things look photoreal if you squint a bit (ok maybe a lot).
Low-quality textures are my biggest pet peeves in video games. I can live with 1080p resolution on a 4K screen, but textures mustn't be of low quality. Demon's Souls is such a good example of 1440p looking so good because of high-quality textures.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

The biggest difference was the severe drops on XSX, and 1800p vs 2160p is noticeable, but very little.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
I'm not sure what xsex version could change...even if native 4k the graphic is that ... though knowing the Capcom offer on Xbox console I won't hold my breath to possible improvement...
Yeah I dont think either we will see any major improvement, but I'm genuinely curious to see if they struggled on PS5 for whatever reason.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I put money that the xbox version performs almost identically the same, if not slightly worse and it will be a shitshow for Dusk Golum after the comments they made.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
To be fair to DuskGolem the previews of RE8 last year looked really really rough. Glad it's shaping up to perform well. RE7 ran like butter on both PS4Pro and PC when I played them.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
To be fair to DuskGolem the previews of RE8 last year looked really really rough. Glad it's shaping up to perform well. RE7 ran like butter on both PS4Pro and PC when I played them.
No points to DuskGolem for that, who admitted that he only shared that news because the mindshare was too much in favor of PS5, and there were just too many good news for PS5 and none for XSX.

Do games run flawlessly from day one of development? Does any game do? Is that how game development and optimization work?

That wasn't even a news but DG shared it anyway, because he wanted to be a console warrior for a day.

Lysandros

this is pretty much what Matt was saying all these years but people still in denial.
the gap is smaller since the ps360 generation, hell look at the comparison threads. people arguing about 1-2fps. mostly trolling but you get it
Matt (from era) wasn't 'that' accurate though, he was expecting a consistent 15-25% resolution advantage at the same performance in favor of XSX across the titles with a 'few exeptions' (akin to Xone/PS4 situation). He always considered XSX more powerful (i disagree) albeit less than Xbox One X/PS4 PRO case. After the first waves of games showed PS5 having slightly better resolution or/and performance more often than not he was quite suprised, as he stated before that speed alone couldn't possibly close the 'gap', and such was (apparently) quite doubtful of Cerny's comment about the matter in road to PS5.

ethomaz

Banned
The previews last years was already way better than what DuskGolem described lol

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Matt (from era) wasn't 'that' accurate though, he was expecting a consistent 15-25% resolution advantage at the same performance in favor of XSX across the titles with a 'few exeptions' (akin to Xone/PS4 situation). He always considered XSX more powerful (i disagree) albeit less than Xbox One X/PS4 PRO case. After the first waves of games showed PS5 having slightly better resolution or/and performance more often than not he was quite suprised, as he stated before that speed alone couldn't possibly close the 'gap', and such was (apparently) quite doubtful of Cerny's comment about the matter in road to PS5.
to be fair matt said, you will get some game where xbox will have the obvious advantages and the ps5 as well, but the difference would be small. i really dont remember him mention it there would be a 15-25% resolution across the board.

Lysandros

to be fair matt said, you will get some game where xbox will have the obvious advantages and the ps5 as well, but the difference would be small. i really dont remember him mention it there would be a 15-25% resolution across the board.
I remember that post of him pretty well but never mind, it's not of utmost importance. 👍

Top Bottom