• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] Returnal Frame Rate Test

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

PlatformsPS5
Frame Amounts
Game Frames45558
Video Frames45797
Frame Tearing Statistics
Total Torn Frames0
Lowest Torn Line-
Frame Height2160
Frame Time Statistics
Mean Frame Time16.75ms
Median Frame Time16.67ms
Maximum Frame Time83.33ms
Minimum Frame Time16.67ms
95th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms
99th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms
Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate59.69fps
Median Frame Rate60fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps
Minimum Frame Rate46fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate58fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate53fps
Frame Time Counts
16.67ms45334 (99.51%)
33.33ms213 (0.47%)
50ms8 (0.02%)
66.67ms2 (0%)
83.33ms1 (0%)
Other
Dropped Frames0
Runt Frames0
Runt Frame Thresholds20 rows

The version tested was 1.003.000.

PS5 renders at a native resolution of 1920x1080 and uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 2880x1620 resolution.

Performance is quite variable so your experience may differ from what's shown here.

Last edited:
please include this with VGtech vids, this is what he is known for

VGTech framerate analysis

PlatformsPS5
Frame Amounts
Game Frames45558
Video Frames45797
Frame Tearing Statistics
Total Torn Frames0
Lowest Torn Line-
Frame Height2160
Frame Time Statistics
Mean Frame Time16.75ms
Median Frame Time16.67ms
Maximum Frame Time83.33ms
Minimum Frame Time16.67ms
95th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms
99th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms
Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate59.69fps
Median Frame Rate60fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps
Minimum Frame Rate46fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate58fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate53fps
Frame Time Counts
16.67ms45334 (99.51%)
33.33ms213 (0.47%)
50ms8 (0.02%)
66.67ms2 (0%)
83.33ms1 (0%)
Other
Dropped Frames0
Runt Frames0
Runt Frame Thresholds20 rows

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

The version tested was 1.003.000.

PS5 renders at a native resolution of 1920x1080 and uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 2880x1620 resolution.

Performance is quite variable so your experience may differ from what's shown here.

I'm pretty shocked that it's 1080p! This looks so good on 4K HDR at 55". Not as impressive and sharp as Spiderman MM, but very, very good! Also I'm one that consider the jump from 4K to 8K is big, so I'm overall a pixel whore but this is makes me happy that 1080p can use some trickery to reach wonderful results and boost the rest of the budget for other stuff!

Also this is Housemarque's first AAA and using the not-so-good-in-performance UE4.

I'm pretty shocked that it's 1080p! This looks so good on 4K HDR at 55". Not as impressive and sharp as Spiderman MM, but very, very good! Also I'm one that consider the jump from 4K to 8K is big, so I'm overall a pixel whore but this is makes me happy that 1080p can use some trickery to reach wonderful results and boost the rest of the budget for other stuff!

Also this is Housemarque's first AAA and using the not-so-good-in-performance UE4.

Good to hear. It should look fine on my 4K monitor then.

modiz

99.51% at 60 fps sounds pretty much virtually locked to me. DF video also said that the game is very very stable and pretty much reaches its 60fps target in general and as well as a console can be.
What does "as well as a console can be" even mean? Such a stupid statement coming from a guy who complained about dips to something like 58 fps in other games.
And yes, there are games that don't dip *at all*. This is not such a game.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Hopefully a few patches get it to locked 60 and add the mid run save and quit option. Will pick this up at some point.

SpokkX

Frame rate is king, and that’s as near a locked 60 as makes no difference!

yeah i for one an glad they prioritze framerate

i really cant tell 1080p from 4k in most games during GAMEPLAY in 99% of all games

if i pause and activly look for jaggies i can tell

i notice any minor framerate drop from 60 IMMEDIATELY. Also i cant stand playing in a stuttery 30fps

so yeah i am glad performance seems to be more of a focus than resolution this gen - i PLAY games, i do not look at screenshots of them

Last edited:

Thief1987

Yeah it looks surprisingly sharp, it's not 4k sharp, but it's also not far behind. I played some native 1080p games for comparison and difference in IQ is pretty massive.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm hoping ratchet keeps the 60 fps dream alive. They are showing it at 4k 30 with raytracing. I just hope these consoles can deliver great looking games at 60 fps.

I don't want us to have to be at 1080p for 60 fps this gen, but I would prefer framerate over anything so it is what it is I guess.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
not surprise it is 1080p, as i mentioned the first time i saw the trailer, how grainy /upscaled it is noticeable.

my eyes for details still working well :messenger_tears_of_joy:
why that hell digital foundry and others are using tools when they can hire you and use your eyes and the advantage you saw the resolution on youtube.

i guess having nothing to play is driving you mad

Raonak

Banned
The IQ looks way higher...

Especially stuff like particles and doors. I wonder how they're doing the reconstruction? Rendering different kinds of assets at different quality levels?

Provoke? I'm literally quoting digital foundry, PCMag, Tom's hardware, beyond 3d, Reddit, wiki, CNET, verge, call of duty. Com, digital trends, nx gamer and every other website.

Please provide the quotes from these sites how Returnal upscale the IQ. Every single damn word. And their definition how Checkerboard and Reconstruction techniques are upscaling by definition Thanks!

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Nobody had an issue with how the game looked until we found out the internal resolution was 1080p. Strange behaviour honestly

That's the thing. Even DF flatly stated that developers are not that interested in native resolutions with the broad array of techniques they have to create images that look incredible. DF also questioned the need to even perform all these pixel counting exercises as the differences are not noticeable. But they will continue on as it generates so much attention from those using it as a console warrior scorecard.

action league now nicksplat GIF

Please provide the quotes from these sites how Returnal upscale the IQ. Every single damn word. And their definition how Checkerboard and Reconstruction techniques are upscaling by definition Thanks!
I already quoted you this but here it is again from the Eurogamer article
"Sony advertises this title by saying it's running at a dynamic 4K - a catch-all term it has used for all manner of upscaling solutions of varying levels of quality. At its heart, Returnal operates at a relatively low internal resolution, then uses a couple of techniques to boost the quality of the output. This starts with temporal reconstruction to 1440p, followed by a checkerboarding pass to deliver a 2160p output.

The end result is a presentation that looks better than the native 1080p pixel counts that tend to emerge from untreated geometry, but this can't really pass as a full-blooded 4K presentation, dynamic or otherwise - especially on certain textures with high specularity, such as wet ground and water surfaces, where you can sometimes see an obvious moire pattern. Image quality in general can sometimes look a little fuzzy or grainy in motion too, owing to the TAA upscaling and checkerboarding."

Returnal operates at a relatively low internal resolution, then uses a couple of techniques to boost the quality of the output. This starts with temporal reconstruction to 1440p, followed by a checkerboarding pass to deliver a 2160p output.

1080p native upscaled on 4k TV ( can be blurred like shit) can't look better than 1080p native on 1080p screen by all definitionThat is why Housemarque used reconstruction and checkerboard techniques to provide better IQ than 1080p native image can produce, even upscaled native 1080p on on 4k TV.
So, read again what checkerboard means

Last edited:
1080p native upscaled on 4k TV ( can be blurred like shit) can't look better than 1080p native on 1080p screen by all definitionThat is why Housemarque used reconstruction and checkerboard techniques to provide better IQ than 1080p native image can produce, even upscaled native 1080p on on 4k TV.
So, read again what checkerboard means

Buddy says he's just a noob gamer and quotes a 20 year old definition of upscale using nearest neighbor or bicubic. I don't care what that guy on Reddit says. Upscale is by definition this

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Not the games fault Companies gonna be shady as fuck in advertising. Nothing wrong with 1080p upscale and near 60fps. Just don’t say it’s 4k.

Buddy says he's just a noob gamer and quotes a 20 year old definition of upscale using nearest neighbor or bicubic. I don't care what that guy on Reddit says. Upscale is by definition this

It is not. You don't need to read reddit. You have definition of checkerboard rendering all over internet

This link even provides example of upscaled image and checkerboard image.

The real implementation of the PS4 Pro rendering engine is much more complicated than this example. And we can tell from this example, the checkerboard rendering is slightly better than the scaling method. But it also brings some anti-aliasing issues, which requires further improvement and optimization.

Yes and yes a method to upscale. The end. You asked me to show you DF calling it upscale. I did. That's the end.

And their definition how Checkerboard and Reconstruction techniques are upscaling by definition Thanks!

So, you didn't provide any of their definition. But i've provided you a definitions of checkerboard rendering. Checkerboard isn't upscaling method. Also, found here a thread about few years old

Last edited:
So, you didn't provide any of their definition. But i've provided you a definitions of checkerboard rendering. Checkerboard isn't upscaling method. Also, found here a thread about if few years old
I provided them using it in a sentence. That gives their definition. The only reason people say anything is not upscaling is because it used to have a negative connotation, but that is not the case anymore to anyone who is not an idiot Warrior. Upscaling is great, and has given great results for sometime now.

Top Bottom