• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
We were told that Sony’s aim with Orbis is to avoid problems involved in launching PS3 by creating something “very affordable” but that “isn’t a slouch”.

I'll take it!

Guys, the articles says the dev kits have 8-16Gb, as in gigabits, not gigabytes.

If you convert the numbers, that means these dev kits only have 1-2GB.

An A10 with only 2GB would be WiiU level. Makes sense considering Sony's position in the market.

It's slightly reassuring that they aren't promising the moon, like they did with PS3. And that they seem to understand that price is a big factor.

But man, I'm mostly amazed at how big of a disaster their investment in Cell processor has been. For them to be ditching that architecture altogether is kind of unthinkable, yet here it is.

It was an early multicore processor design, there are much better options available today. I don't really think they are ditching anything.

Anywho, can't wait for the next gen to finally fucking start.

We were also told that the machine will be designed to accept system and product updates in the background, and that it’ll “always be standby mode”. When you set the console up, we were told, you’ll be asked if you want to allow background downloads. You can, of course, disallow them.

Sounds so good.

1080p60 in 3D is not happening on an A10 by itself. An A10 by itself will struggle in 1080p period.

If there's another GPU involved it will make a ton more sense.

Edit: And yes, I know it's not final specs.

That's not necessarily true... Even an unmodified A10 will output at 1080p if you give it a large enough (and fast enough) amount of ram. Remember, it's very unlikely that the PS4 would be running on standard DDR3 memory... Couple the A10 with memory more akin to GDDR5 and you'll get a lot better results than any PC version could (which shares it's memory and bus with general computing tasks on a DDR3 bus)

Guys, the articles says the dev kits have 8-16Gb, as in gigabits, not gigabytes.

An A10 with only 2GB would be WiiU level. Makes sense considering Sony's position in the market.

Seriously? put 2 & 2 together dude, they obviously meant gigabytes. How often is gigabits used when talking about memory.

yeah because everyone refers to RAM in gigabits...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Strange to put 3D in there. Didn't Sony recently say that there is "no interest" in 3D from the consumer market?

I imagine that they have to keep it in there since they sell 3D TV's and all, but that particular comment in Enslaved was pretty apt. So I would imagine it not to have any particular focus, unless they want to do something different with it.

They might be thinking along the lines of stereo3D for a HMD...

But either way I'd still expect 3D as a given, even if it's not a huge deal.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???

not sure if serious...

It also states a 256Gb hdd, I don't think they'll include a small 32GB hdd in it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They might be thinking along the lines of stereo3D for a HMD...

But either way I'd still expect 3D as a given, even if it's not a huge deal.

great looking games at 1080p/30/3D is a good way to get 1080p/60 in 2D mode. So we should be encouraging 3D games, even if you don't care about 3D

Just keep your PS3 if you want to play the games, what´s the problem?

the problem is, I like new hardware.

It was an early multicore processor design, there are much better options available today. I don't really think they are ditching anything

It's a totally different architecture than any of the other multicore processors out there. It's not like multicores didn't exist when they came out with Cell. They were talking like the one in the PS3 would be the first Cell processor of many to come, and it would have to be for them to recoup their R&D spending on it.

so yes, they are ditching it.

AOC83

Banned

If Sony wanted to ride with hardware around the WiiU power level they just could use the PS3, no point in releasing a new console then.

My peen is ready. I hope Sony contains any further leaks until E3 but we know that wont happen. Also have the confidence to unveil it at E3 and not an event prior.

I'd love a $499 machine but for Sonys well being they should aim for a $399 machine. And a little Ken K in the system can't hurt :p.

great looking games at 1080p/30/3D is a good way to get 1080p/60 in 2D mode. So we should be encouraging 3D games, even if you don't care about 3D

Except devs often limit framerate to 30 even if their games can do better to keep it consistent, and they might do just that again.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
A lot is going to depend on where the OS is running, speculation about it running on the ARM core using an Chrome/Android derivative seems plausible because they will want a heavily beefed up security layer to avoid code being dumped and run on PC.

Do that, and leave the x86 cores free to run application code should give it a substantial performance boost over running in a standard PC environment.

As to the 60fps thing; yes of course some devs will opt to stay at 30 and double down on scene detail/render quality. Like 3D, 60fps doesn't advertise well because in promo form, its rarely seen in its full quality.

As somebody that has messed with my pc on a couple 3dtvs, I can definitely tell you that 1080p 60hz in 3d isn't happening unless some new tvs with a faster hdmi spec start dropping. The most any hdmi 1.4 3dtv out right now can handle at 1080 is 24hz. Thats all the bandwidth a single link cable can carry, 30hz might be technically possible but I don't think its part of the official spec.

My peen is ready. I hope Sony contains any further leaks until E3 but we know that wont happen. Also have the confidence to unveil it at E3 and not an event prior.

I'd love a $499 machine but for Sonys well being they should aim for a $399 machine. And a little Ken K in the system can't hurt :p.

Why does it matter? Console spoilerz?

1080p@60fps and 3D? That would be nice. I thought hdmi was limited to 24frames at 1080p 3D

Wwiqk.png

Nope. Completely capable.

Lol at people pretending that this is in anyway powerful or that we'll be playing anything better than BF3 at 1080p on this. The AMD APUs are in no way powerful platforms. If this and the Xbox 3=6670 rumours are true then you can kiss goodbye to a next gen leap.

Nizz

Sounds awesome. The thought of playing games like the Assassin's Creed games and Battlefield at 1080p/60fps sounds good.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
1080p60fps in 3D is a nice goal to have, especially if they design a machine capable of outputting games at that fidelity.

4GB RAM is, well, fine but also depends on how much the OS uses.

Toki767

You'd have to think that a solid state drive would increase the price by a good bit. It'd be a pretty risky move by Sony considering next generation they would probably prefer to have more digital downloads that would require much larger hard drives unless they go the Nintendo route and let you run games off an external.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
So in the end this will be like 2x better than Wii U im guessing. Wii U does 1080p and could do 3D if the technology wasn't so shitty and on the way out..

V_Ben

Banned
With them arriving with either 8 or 16gb of ram, it looks like its up to the developers to convince Sony to go for more. At least, I hope that's what's happening.

Shikoro

8Gb = 1GB

There are 8 bits in one byte.

If these specs are true, this is around WiiU level.

This is what bothers me. If they're intending to talk about this stuff, they should at least learn the basics of what this thing is about. I'm sure they meant GB, or even GiB, but no one uses that since no one knows what it is.

The verdict is, if true, this won't be that powerful as I hoped. The RAM will again be the bottleneck, if not in size, but in bandwidth which makes me sad.

With them arriving with either 8 or 16gb of ram, it looks like its up to the developers to convince Sony to go for more. At least, I hope that's what's happening.
Not sure if serious.

That means no dedicated GPU? Otherwise an APU doesn't make sense, you don't need integrated graphics to "save power", modern GPUs don't need much power when they are not under load. The A10-5800K for example has a HD 7660D graphics unit with 384 "Radeon Cores" and 800MHz clock speed, it can use 1866MB DDR3 RAM. Not very impressive. In the article they say something about a modified version, we will see how much better this will be.

1080p is no good without suitable textures. I'd rather have 720p with high res textures, than 1080p with low res ones.

How can textures be good at 720p? even the most detailed ones will still just be 720p and blurry and garbage unless you're sitting 10 feet away, which I guess a lot of people do if they play on a TV but still.

The other thing is that devs create assets at much higher res than 1080p so they'll automatically be better.

Rendering resolution doesn't necessarily affect the texture resolution. See Wipeout HD running at 1080p (ish) with really high resolution textures, and Call of Duty running at sub-720p, featuring much lower resolution textures. The reverse also happens - see many PS2 and Wii games sporting fairly high resolution textures despite running at 480p, where the high fidelity would be hard to see in normal gameplay scenarios.

Texture resolution is generally dependent on the amount of RAM allocated to textures (streaming in textures on the fly alleviates this, however, and is now very common). So hope for large amounts of RAM, and hope for graphics cards that can render textures easily.

You'd have to think that a solid state drive would increase the price by a good bit. It'd be a pretty risky move by Sony considering next generation they would probably prefer to have more digital downloads that would require much larger hard drives unless they go the Nintendo route and let you run games off an external.

Sony should launch more expensive limited edition PS4s with a custom SSD in it, it'll be popular enough to sell in the ten thousands.

Top Bottom