• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG247: The Forza 7 PC pre-load is an utter mess

IMO this is absurd. Basic troubleshooting isn't a requirement. You can simply google / search Steam Community hub etc and find the answer for most games - but that is for game related issues, not the damn distributor and delivery of the product. This is ridiculous.

That's not basic troubleshooting lmao.

I work in IT so I guess it's basic for me. I deal with far more complicated issues. However, I agree that we shouldn't be having to troubleshoot these issues in the first place. I'm just glad a workaround is available.

wapplew

Xbox team
keikaku.jpg

Hexer06

Dam.. I just can't believe they still haven't fixed these issues that have been there for months now. Or has it been a year already? Just checked, it's officially a year today since FH3 (which was the first game to give me problems). Like ppl have said, it's crazy the Xbox Store doesn't really have issues, but the Windows Store is constantly having issues. "Fix yo shit Bill Gates!"

TransTrender

Gold Member
...and this should surprise nobody. What's more surprising is that Microsoft hasn't learned anything since the GoW/Halo/last Forza game launch.

Wait, so there's a solution for using your computer that is unable to download and install the game, which connects to the same Ms server the store does, downloads the package fully, installs it in a windows install where the store is broken?

I really like what Ms is trying to do with uwp and the store but this is seriously fucked up. Ms definitely needs to get their shit together and fix the store asap XD

Dam.. I just can't believe they still haven't fixed these issues that have been there for months now. Or has it been a year already? Just checked, it's officially a year today since FH3 (which was the first game to give me problems). Like ppl have said, it's crazy the Xbox Store doesn't really have issues, but the Windows Store is constantly having issues. "Fix yo shit Bill Gates!"

Actually today, (or was it yesterday?) there were many people complaining about apps stuck installing/not updating on xbone, including the store itself which caused a loop.

Fbh

92GB?!?!.

What is going on with these massive file sizes of MS games?. Just recently got a decent PC and wanted to download the Demo of Gears 4 to see how it looks and runs. I knew I'd probably have to download the whole game even for just the demo....but 110GB?!?!??!? What the hell is on that game to justify the file size ?

I was lucky with this but there are several other updates that always gives me errors including an update for the store itself. It's not a good experience.

This is like staying at a shitty hotel and then complaining that its a shitty hotel. Yeah we know the place is a dump, I dont need to read the 1 star reviews. :p

Oh hey, history repeats itself and Microsoft demonstrates they've learned nothing from the launch of Forza Horizon 3 last year or the Forza 6 Apex optimizations they rolled out.

Seriously, enough time has passed to think that they could've been ready for this. It's garbage that they're not.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
No one who dealt with GFWL for any length of time is the slightest bit surprised.

MS has been trying this stuff on and off for the last decade, and they still haven't managed to just not fuck it up for any decent period of time.

Kiru

Windows Store is all kinds of weird when downloading games. My Forza 7 demo download restarted 18 GB in with some kind of error, I thought I would need to download all of it again, but it somehow finished the whole download like 4 GBs later. Seems it has some kind of hidden resume feature that you won't see...

Fishook

Touch wood. I haven't had any problems with the Microsoft store apart from the preload taking ages, compared to steam. It's a horrible storefront, if it was'nt for Forza, I would'nt miss it at all.

Par Score

Well I'm almost done.

I had a few issues though. I believe I found the trick with the downloads error-ing out.

Hitting the restart button (round circular thing) does absolutely nothing. It will attempt to resume where it left off and error out again.

The trick is to hit the X and close out the download. Then go into the store for the game. And pick the option Update.

It will then say "Working", close it out then re-open the store for the Game Page and it will start the download. It will APPEAR to start the download from 0, however this is not the case. It is actually scanning your HDD for currently downloaded portions and doing a file verification. This can take some time depending on how much you downloaded but it will resume where you left off. It was verifying the download in chunks of 1GB at a time.

It eventually resumed and as of me finishing my post I download just finished a few seconds ago. I hope this info is useful and works for you as it did for me.

This is pretty much what I had to do to get the Forza 7 demo downloaded.

Total horseshit.

Shin-Ra

Phil Spencer - March 2016

"I understand the skepticism that people have, but I just want to stand up and say we're very, very committed as a company to ensure that gaming on Windows 10 is a great experience."
Don’t blame Phil, he doesn’t know what he’s saying.

I really like what Ms is trying to do with uwp and the store but this is seriously fucked up. Ms definitely needs to get their shit together and fix the store asap XD

Said no one ever.

UWP is the antithesis of what separates PC gaming from closed ecosystems like consoles.

In the Forza 7 demo alone, UWP has created the following problems for me:

- Can't run V-sync off
- Can't run >60fps
- Have to manually toggle HDR on for entire Windows to make it work in F7
- Only accepts raw input from my Leo Bodner controller pedals, rather than the calibrated output every other game accepts.
- Will not run with RTSS overlay despite RTSS beta working with other UWP titles (after much teeth nashing), F7 crashes on boot.
- Will not remember my graphics settings between sessions, no way to check INI files or fault find the problem

And yeah, the store crapped out halfway through the demo download for me too and didn't resume.

Mohasus

92GB?!?!.

What is going on with these massive file sizes of MS games?. Just recently got a decent PC and wanted to download the Demo of Gears 4 to see how it looks and runs. I knew I'd probably have to download the whole game even for just the demo....but 110GB?!?!??!? What the hell is on that game to justify the file size ?

It is a timed trial, not a demo. So it is the whole game.

I can't wait to read some posters here regurgitate the same "it works on MY machine, those problems aren't widespread, stop panicking." like they do in every Wstore thread.

How many games on the window store have had preload/download problems now? One of the reasons why I will probably never use it. Especially with download caps. I'd be pissed if I downloaded almost 100GB and it reset.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I really like what Ms is trying to do with uwp and the store but this is seriously fucked up.
People have already jumped on this but no, seriously, unless you're a Microsoft apologist then nobody likes anything about the Windows store or UWP. Like no. Just stop. Stop.

TransTrender

Gold Member
It is a timed trial, not a demo. So it is the whole game.
So basically it's the cheapest and easiest way to make a demo and they still manage to completely fail at that since their entire infrastructure has been in shambles for a year. Making a curated demo would work better in their garbage systems so people only have to download 10GB instead of 100GB.

jdmonmou

Is there any way to backup the install files of games downloaded from the Windows store? Looking for a way to avoid having to download this again when I eventually uninstall it.

Is there any way to backup the install files of games downloaded from the Windows store? Looking for a way to avoid having to download this again when I eventually uninstall it.

The store doesn't have an official way of backing up your installs. The only way to is to use Fiddler to download the *.eaapx file while initially downloading. It really is retarded.

If you guys are having this many problems downloading you can use Fiddler to get the link of the game while it's downloading and use that to install and this allows you to just download it through whatever is most convenient, Chrome, Firefox, etc.

Once you do that and install, does it operate like any other Windows Store app? Like it will show up in the downloads list in the store and update just like you downloaded it through the store?

Qassim

Said no one ever.

UWP is the antithesis of what separates PC gaming from closed ecosystems like consoles.

In the Forza 7 demo alone, UWP has created the following problems for me:

- Can't run V-sync off
- Can't run >60fps

These two aren't restrictions of UWP. Other UWP games can run vsync off and run above 60fps.

Gamezone

Gold Member
92GB?!?!.

I know Forza 7 has many cars, but other racing games are tiny in comparison. There's also nothing about Gears of War that should make the game that huge. Halo 5 is another example.

Got tomorrow off, so I'll be starting the download real early, and monitoring it throughout the day. Should take about 15 hours for me.

I've not had issues downloading anything other than Recore Definitive Edition, and that was lost progress due to turning off the PC.

Bluth54

Absolutely pathetic, but not surprising given the state of the Windows store.

I'm not sure why Microsoft would ever expect PC gamers to buy any games from them given the sorry state of the store (and their history with GfWL).

Grassy

I didn't see this thread, my post from the Forza 7 preview thread:

Jesus fucking christ, don't pause your download on the Windows Store whatever you do. I downloaded 50GB overnight then paused it and turned off my PC when I went to work this morning, came home and restarted it and it reset to fucking 0GB...can't wait to not play this game at launch.

I guess that's karma coming back at me after saying I had no problems downloading Forza Horizon 3 and I hadn't had any issues with the Windows Store...cunts.

So yeah, do not pause your download at all. It seems to download just fine if you leave it. I never had any issues downloading Forza Horizon 3 twice, this is the first time the Windows Store has fucked me over.

Have had so many issues downloading games on that store. Cannot believe they are still having this download error and restart issues.
It boggles the mind.

danmaku

It will be shipped to your home dozens of times, arriving broken and/or going back and forth from the warehouse to your home? If so, sound like a physical win10 store experience.

Well, that was basically the Xbox 360 experience when rrod problem blew up.

Top Bottom