• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG247 XCloud Hands On: "feels like a next-generation experience"

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I am only aware of bad PS5 news - struggling to hit 4k, might be more expensive than XSX, partly due to its last-minute overclocking stunt that required an extensive cooling solution which caused the humungous form factor, ... no need to counter that.

And why there are no games running on XSX up to date and showing PC gaming instead in the last 2 events? Even first party? What's wrong with the XSX hardware?

Iv been using x cloud for months. It works great for most games. I played DMC on it and for a fast game it worked great you just have to get use to the slight input lag. I played though entire games like Ethan Carter on it. I like to 100% games or try to so I enjoy that I can play though the main game on my console and while im at my 2nd job on the weekends I can work on getting the achievements completed. it's a great addition and good that its part of gamepass. I think for a lot of gamers who don't game on consoles this is gonna be great. Overall its a great service. I would never play games only on streaming but its a great option.

I used it on my iPhone to play MCC. It was pretty great to be able to load it up and just continue where I left on console. Performed great too, but I have great WiFi.

I don’t really want to use an Android device just to access everything.

jigglet

Banned
Can anyone really see themselves using this outside of a quick way to demo games first?

When I'm travelling I'd rather use my Switch. When I'm travelling I'm going to be on busses, random hotels etc...no way I'd be able to keep a stable connection.

I guess if I were into turn based games this would be bloody sweet but I just don't play many of those.

Bryank75

Banned
Can anyone really see themselves using this outside of a quick way to demo games first?

When I'm travelling I'd rather use my Switch. When I'm travelling I'm going to be on busses, random hotels etc...no way I'd be able to keep a stable connection.

I guess if I were into turn based games this would be bloody sweet but I just don't play many of those.
Yup, streaming is useless... Nintendo does portable gaming better in every way, it doesnt lose quality based on location and has MUCH better games, it also has the option of using big screens with the doc and gives stable performance there too and is 100% dependable..... also better for parties and group play.

At home, just use a console or PC.... I use playstation cause of exclusives and the overall library of games. This streaming, whether offered by Xbox, Stadia or PSNow is redundant and is just a way to take away game ownership...just like 2013.

If you fall for it, you're a fool.

DavidGzz

Yes, I use it daily at my desk job. GE Force Now has been awesome for me. When Xcloud gives me access to Game Pass on my work computer it will be how I game 90% of the time since at home I like to spend time with the wife/kids and go to the gym.

If you fall for it, you're a fool.

People probably said the same thing about digital games when it was kicking off. It's not for everyone as many still buy physical the same way streaming won't be for everyone at first. Not everyone cares about ownership of digital media. I don't care that I'll never own Netflix shows and movies and I don't care about owning GP games. I'll play them until I no longer want to and move on.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
My favorite use case for this has been to play while my daughter and wife use the front TV. I can sit on my porch or in my bedroom and sink hours into Skyrim (just started playing for first time a few days ago). I probably put more hours into console streaming vs xcloud which has been an awesome feature that doesn't get talked about.

Bryank75

Banned
Yes, I use it daily at my desk job. GE Force Now has been awesome for me. When Xcloud gives me access to Game Pass on my work computer it will be how I game 90% of the time since at home I like to spend time with the wife/kids and go to the gym.

People probably said the same thing about digital games when it was kicking off. It's not for everyone as many still buy physical the same way streaming won't be for everyone at first. Not everyone cares about ownership of digital media. I don't care that I'll never own Netflix shows and movies and I don't care about owning GP games. I'll play them until I no longer want to and move on.
Not really, I was fine with smaller games like Castle Crashers being digital years ago on 360.
But streaming is the line between product and service and I want a product and the rights that gives me, you have F all rights when you get a service...it's shit.

I live in Europe where consumer rights are very strong.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Gaming with input lag is a next-gen experience? LOL okay.

Have you even tried it? I can't detect lag on these streaming services. I think Nvidia and Stadia are even better right now since they support 60fps. And he said the experience as in the fact that you essentially get a local console experience on a phone. Or, for me, what is even more impressive is playing Control with Ray tracing on my weak work computer. I don't even have to wait for a download, it's really impressive.

thelastword

Banned
Playing Halo 3 on your mobile phone is a next gen experience? Yet playing Halo 3 on a PC and console is a much better experience over it being streamed to mobile, and Halo 3 is a very old game.......So I guess playing the MCC Halo 3, a remaster of a 360 game is where the true next gen experience lies, where have I heard that before......BC, CrossGen and Streaming old games are the new gamechangers for the next generation.

DavidGzz

Not really, I was fine with smaller games like Castle Crashers being digital years ago on 360.
But streaming is the line between product and service and I want a product and the rights that gives me, you have F all rights when you get a service...it's shit.

I live in Europe where consumer rights are very strong.

I see what you're saying but to me it's just a bonus. GE Force Now just lets me play my Steam/Epic collection and Xcloud will let me play my Xbox collection eventually. At least I think that is what MS is going for eventually. I can see what you're saying aimed at Stadia more since the only option is streaming.

I think I'm biased for streaming because of how great it works for me and the convenience of it. Also, maybe I'm being shortsighted. I definitely don't want it to be the only option. If MS does that I'll probably stick to PC.

Iv played full games on it at work not even the best connection and have had very few issues

MastaKiiLA

Can it only be played with a controller on mobile? If I can go touch screen alone, what's a good RPG available on the service? I'd like to kick the tires on xCloud, to see if it's worth getting.

Portugeezer

It feels like these songs always go the same way:

"delay isn't bad" - then it comes out and delay is noticeable.
"minimal artifacting" - then it comes out and we all notice artifacting even during best connection.

cHaOs667

Can it only be played with a controller on mobile? If I can go touch screen alone, what's a good RPG available on the service? I'd like to kick the tires on xCloud, to see if it's worth getting.
They start expanding the service to have games which will be playable with a virtual controller (touch interface of your phone). Hellblade is the first game supporting this.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Guys listen,
you can play reCore,
alright,
listen well,
here goes,
you can play reCore,
on your 1400$ surface duo,
get this,
with latency,
it eats monsters for breakfast.

T-Cake

Looking forward to trying this on Windows 10 in 4K when they upgrade the server blades to the XSX next year.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It feels like these songs always go the same way:

"delay isn't bad" - then it comes out and delay is noticeable.
"minimal artifacting" - then it comes out and we all notice artifacting even during best connection.
Nah, if you would have actually tried it you would know it's really solid.

pasterpl

people tend to forget that this is also coming to pc, so if you don’t have a gaming pc, or use some ultra book that usually doesn’t pack a powerful gpu, you can still enjoy it as a gaming device. Tested the app on my surface pro x and it is really good experience.

What is next-gen in playing current gen games?

it is about overall experience, I am guessing that it seems that xCloud delivers what google promised with stadia

Did anyone call GeForce Now a next generation experience?

Hard to take articles like this seriously.

correct me if I am wrong, but I think you have to own games that while xCloud works with gamepass library, also you don’t have to won a gaming pc, it also seems that GeForce now limits your play time

Bo_Hazem

Banned
it is about overall experience, I am guessing that it seems that xCloud delivers what google promised with stadia

Still sounds BS. It's a great service for people who aren't as stable at home (travel a lot, go out of town for work, etc) but doesn't make it "next-gen".

GHG

Gold Member
correct me if I am wrong, but I think you have to own games that while xCloud works with gamepass library, also you don’t have to won a gaming pc, it also seems that GeForce now limits your play time

You don't need to own a PC for Geforce Now, you just need to buy games via steam and then link your account. The whole model is centered around streaming games you already own.

Time limit is 6 hours per session. If you somehow reach that in a single sitting then you just have to back out and restart a new session.

FeldMonster

Potential is there, technology is not. Let's wait 4 the global 5G rollout and see how deep 5G will change the world. 2G to 3G jump was a fundamental upgrade. With a global 5G network we can expect a smooth transition from home to street to on the move and always have the same exact experience. At least that's the promise. Remote play (and work lol) is the future IMO.
So you propose that Microsoft do absolutely nothing until the entire world has 5G up and running? No foresight allowed? No preparation? Testing, etc. Lol, ok.

FeldMonster

Next gen? Wait, does it play games on XSX spec or higher?
It will in a few short months. Do you expect them to release a next gen game before the console is ready? Seems strange to me.

Besides, the quote is a "next gen experience", not a next-gen game. Playing the exact same game between a console and a smartphone, sharing saves between them, and having the ability to choose to buy and play locally (traditional), pay for a service and play locally (Gamepass), buy a game locally and stream remotely (console streaming), or pay for a service and stream remotely (Xcloud) is certainly not an experience you can do today on all current consoles.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Still sounds BS. It's a great service for people who aren't as stable at home (travel a lot, go out of town for work, etc) but doesn't make it "next-gen".
Geez does it fucking matter what some morron write about it, it does not matter if it's next-gen or not
...*cough* Umm, working streaming service, which actually works fine even here, in country where no other streaming service is present I find it like "future is here".

martino

Worked for kz2.......
tenor.gif

• LOL
Reactions: INC

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Geez does it fucking matter what some morron write about it, it does not matter if it's next-gen or not
...*cough* Umm, working streaming service, which actually works fine even here, in country where no other streaming service is present I find it like "future is here".

I don't play much as usual, so if a quality SP game is up, I preorder it, play it to death, finish everything, explore everything, then get back to normal life. Might change with PS5 though, not sure.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't play much as usual, so if a quality SP game is up, I preorder it, play it to death, finish everything, explore everything, then get back to normal life. Might change with PS5 though, not sure.
I like playing something small, like a Touryst on the move, it's good for public transport which I prefer to driving. I am still pretty unsure about my driving capabilities after that *accidental* transplantation which I had. Good thing I buy for myself Ooodi A6*, but my GF is driving it most of the time.

*some context:

REDRZA MWS

I have ok internet (500up 50down on my iPad right now) but niether stadia nor xcloud felt good to me. I want it to work but gonna be a while for sure.

Could also be the wireless cards in those devices. Not saying it is that, just maybe. Also game streaming still is in its infancy. The best shot, I believe, is MS, because they are adding Xbox hardware into the server blades and with azure........ if it’s still terrible it may never work.

pasterpl

instant loading without need to install a game sounds next Gen (I know we are coming back to times where consoles didn’t have hdd) but still this is nice change that we are hoping will improve next gen, you will get a proper next gen games on gamepass streaming when xbsex launches.

pasterpl

Have anyone tried to load it on amazon fire stick tv or any other android box/stick? If this works it might be awesome to be able to take your console - pocket sized, with you while on business trip

splattered

It's kind of funny.. people are whining about this saying the technology isn't quite ready yet because it doesn't work 100% so why even bother.

So do you feel the same way about VR for example? It isn't perfect, so why bother? Everyone should just drop it? No one really wants to strap giant goggles to their face connected by wires so why even bother trying to push the field forward towards comfortable wireless high fidelity VR gaming?

Just because YOU don't like something it doesn't mean there aren't tons of other gamers out there that are interested in this and willing to invest their time to help push the tech forward.

Sure, it may not work 100% right now but as long as it keeps the public's interest companies will continue to invest in it and make it better and better.

So stop bitching already, nobody fucking cares that you don't like it.

BlackM1st

Banned
So you propose that Microsoft do absolutely nothing until the entire world has 5G up and running? No foresight allowed? No preparation? Testing, etc. Lol, ok.
No. But right now I just don't see it as a feasible solution on par with a traditional hardware based computing. But all technology started from something. I say "go Microsoft!", and I'll just wait when other infrastructure will arrive =)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
NO WAY he played Xcloud on a 4G connection and it felt great AND looked great. That's not possible.

xiseerht

I love it honestly. My niece was playing Sea of Thieves and I was sitting next to her on my phone playing co op. I have been in my backyard playing Civ 6 on phone with X Cloud . So would I play all of my games streaming ?No. But it does work and it is fun and does feel like the future . I am in Orlando and I get solid connection to highspeed mobile. Also , there is something cool about being on my lunch break at the office , playing Soul Calibur on my phone.

I was interested in this for my PC. I have 2 streaming services (GeForce Now and ShadowPC) and it really does work, but it's all down to your internet speed because it can look pretty but play like crazy because of latency.

But Shadow is probably the best one right now because you can arguably play every single PC game, so it's perfect for someone like me who doesn't have a [working] gaming PC. It's not the future, but it certainly is convenient.

Thirty7ven

Banned
720p, input lag, macro-blocking and games that have no business being played on a phone is not what I would describe as "next gen experience".

Buy a Switch Lite if you want "next gen" portable console gaming.

Top Bottom