• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGA] God of War Wins Game of The Year

bitbydeath

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

cr0w

Old Member
Well deserved. Not my personal GOTY (looking at you, RDR), but GoW is undeniably great.

Fbh

I was 100% sure it would be RDR2 so this came as a surprise.

Game is great, it totally deserves the award

Gediminas

Banned
Masterpiece. well deserved. i was afraid that RDR2 will win, but this time public came through with best game, not most popular.

Grimmrobe

The right games were Kingdom Come, Spider-Man, Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Astro Bot, but none of those shills have any taste, or play any games even, so this mediocre collectathon pseudo-ARPG button masher with crap character design and story "won" instead. And to top it all off, no great games were announced either in this shitshow. What a waste of an evening.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I honestly didn't expect it. All those awards going to RDR2 felt like it was too obvious a decision. Good job.

I wish DQXI won role play instead of MH though. Would've been perfect.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I honestly didn't expect it. All those awards going to RDR2 felt like it was too obvious a decision. Good job.

Same and Octopath should have definitely won the best Soundtrack.

I love it when something sweeps the awards but then the main competitor wins the big one. Could this bullshit be any more transparent?

Not that these awards mean anything... It's a game reveal show with crappy awards slapped on top because the Pope has an inferiority complex.

Grimmrobe

They are pushing the announcements aspect of it because the companies that fund the thing can't profit very much from awarding shill prizes to their old games. Hype for upcoming stuff is much more valuable to them than praise for past stuff.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I guess I should actually play it now. I got stuck in game muck with Spiderman (losing the will to play through yet another open world game) and haven't played a ps4 game since.

Last edited:

Exentryk

Even tho my GOTY this year is Octopath, GoW was also up there for me. Considering narrative driven games are my favourite type, I can't be more happy for GoW winning this award.

pr0cs

I want to play it but I hate my ps4, I think I'll wait to play it on the ps5, hopefully next year

Lilseb93

It's my Game of the Year. Red Dead 2 is fantastic and my 2nd favorite game of the year, but I'm still not a fan of the clunky controls. It can be a pain to do simple tasks like talking to somebody without aiming a gun at them. God of War was so smooth from start to finish.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I think lot of people going to disagree with me on this but God of War 2018 has one my favourite combat in western games.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Eh, for me it was GoW, RDR2, or Spiderman.

Personally I'm going to vote for Spiderman first, RDR2 as second, and GoW third when the official voting comes around but they're all deserving of the top spot.

I think lot of people going to disagree with me on this but God of War 2018 has one my favourite combat in western games.
I'm curious. Did something come out this year that has better combat outside of a fighting game?

it should have.

with all due respect to MHW and its fans, its more of lite MMO + lite rpg than an RPG.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I honestly no idea but this most fun combat I ever experienced in western game.
Oh... ok :(

I was hoping that you may have had something that I completely missed out on in 2018 and didn't get a lot of attention here in the US.

Edit: Or Canada, or the UK, or the EU, or Russia etc.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Oh... ok :(

I was hoping that you may have had something that I completely missed out on in 2018 and didn't get a lot of attention here in the US.
Actually God of War is only western game I got this year, rest of them were all Japanese games.

TacosNSalsa

Just like in the comic books Spider-Man just can't get that full win...but GoW was amazing so not too upset

Last edited:

blackjon24

God of war is the better game. Red dead is so close but arthur just isn't as responsive as he needs to be and i never had that problem with kratos.

GenericUser

RDR2 had more emotional impact on me, talking about the ending specifically, but God of War was more entertaining to actually play. I personally think DQ11 is the best game this year, but I also agree that GoW was more entertaining then RDR2. All three are exceptional games though.

Last edited:

Danjin44

RDR2 had more emotional impact on me, talking about the ending specifically, but God of War was more entertaining to actually play. I personally think DQ11 is the best game this year, but I also agree that GoW was more entertaining then RDR2. All three are exceptional games though.
You and me both, but DQXI is no were near popular enough to win in award show in west.

mcz117chief

Isn't that a bit premature? What about the games releasing in December? Will those be 2019 contenders?

Last edited:

Freeman76

Shocked. GOW is a superb game but RDR2 is on another level entirely from anything else thats come out in years.

Actually, for a Western game the combat in gow was quite good. I still think gow3 edges it out, but I also enjoyed the combat in gow.

Something like dq11 would unfortunately never win goty here in the West because, you know.......reasons and stuff like that.

Kreydo

I'm glad it won over RDRII, God Of War don't have any micro-transaction so it's obviously a better game than RDRII.

Anywy VGA are a joke, When a NO-RPG like Monster Hunter win the award of best RPG over Pillars Of Eternity II : Deadfire...
It's a fucking best marketing contest and as nothing to do with overall game quality.

Last edited:

Raitoningu

Banned
Well deserved, it wasn't an easy reboot and they avoided making it into another "souls" fuckery ripoff

It actually put the outdated janky DMC5 to shame

Top Bottom