• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGA] God of War Wins Game of The Year

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well deserved, it wasn't an easy reboot and they avoided making it into another "souls" fuckery ripoff

It actually put the outdated janky DMC5 to shame
But it's really not reboot, this continues story from pervious games and Kratos still same person from the past games.

Kagey K

Banned
Poor Spidey, nominated for everything and kept getting shoved to the back.

Insomniac deserved better.

Raitoningu

Banned
But it's really not reboot, this continues story from pervious games and Kratos still same person from the past games.
They rebooted what matters the most, game design + gameplay

edit
Also, that "story continuity" it a total mental gymnastic retconning

Last edited:

Nose Master

I prefer it to RDR2, I guess, but both are super flawed. It's hilarious how Spiderman was barely even in the conversation for most of these awards. Fuckin hell did that thing just come and go in like two weeks.

Celeste shits on both.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They rebooted what matters the most, game design + gameplay
I would even argue the gameplay is not fully reboot. I have platinum the game I have to say there is still lot of elements from previous GOW’s gameplay in this game and I’m not even talking about
the Blade we get later on

I would actually consider FF7Remake more of Reboot than God of War (2018).

Last edited:

Skyr

As a Rockstar fanboy I agree.

If you would have asked me a month ago I would have strongly suggested RDR2.
But after being out of the honeymoon period with it, I have to admit that it is just to weak in the gameplay department to win this.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Congrats, well deserved. RDR2 is spectacular in many ways but the core gameplay let a lot of people down.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
God Of War was phenomenal, but Red Dead Redemption 2 is one of the best, and most important video games ever created. It sets a new and astonishing standard for world building, transcendent verisimilitude, and is a true work of art.

God Of War won because it was the crowd pleaser equivalent of an Oscar winning movie edging out something far more important, well written, but requiring of more patience and maturity to digest. God Of War is slicker, flashier, and easier to wrap your head around. Plus, it’s not a game about a bunch of unlikable murderers and crooks, big hairy swinging horse testicles, and a time when men were still men (something game critics can’t stomach).

Shit happens.

Even Cory knows deep in his heart that Red Dead was clearly, remarkably better.

Last edited:

Rien

Jelly Belly
Great news for team Cory and Sony.

I liked the game quite a bit. Not a 10/10 experience in my eyes but its a great game. Happy for them to win it, its deserved.
Altough my vote would go to RDR2 but to be fair i still have to finish it.

Also great that Astrobot won the best VR game.
Got to world 3 yesterday and it seems like this game gets better and better with each level.
It is one of the most fun(nest)(?) game i played all year.

Akuza89

It certainly shocked me, red dead 2 was winning everything it was up for.... don't get me started on how annoying that was...

But god of war deserved it highly. Much more so than red dead anyway in my opinion.

Iaterain

1450060798507s.jpg
1497207230473.png

Foxbat

Banned

This shit here should be immediately bannable. Some people in this thread agree that it should've gotten GoTY, while others think other games were more deserving. All have been respectful, and without the console warz bullshit.

This is a prime example of drive by shit posting.

Last edited:

LoremIpsum

Neo Member
I got GoW last Black Friday and haven't played it yet. Seems fun tho, and holy shit it's 60fps on the pro. Amazing.

God Of War was phenomenal, but Red Dead Redemption 2 is one of the best, and most important video games ever created. It sets a new and astonishing standard for world building, transcendent verisimilitude, and is a true work of art.

Fuck your avatar man, now I need to play Bloodborne again.

Thiagosc777

What a mediocre game! I guess for games to win awards they don't have to be good, all they need is to be "cinematic" and have a high budget.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Not too sure I think this was the right call, many games have been better for me personally, but there’s no doubt it deserved to be in the list that’s for sure :)

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Expected it to be Red Dead 2 but yeah it never had much competition. It's on sale right now the Sony store so I might grab it.

Dante83

Banned
I am surprised games like black ops 4 wasn't even considered for game of the year. It is tons of fun, blackout is a breath of fresh air for the series and will get played more than any of the campaign oriented games that got nominated. I played games like god of war, spiderman and red dead 2 for like a week or 2, and stopped playing them after beating those type of games. Black ops 4 has been out for a while, and I am still addicted to it and amazed by it. Every time I play it, I get a new experience just by playing with people, while in god of war, I can't play it again because I know what to expect and the amazement I had with it is gone. It is a one and done type of game IMO.

Though GOW was my own personal pick for GOTY, I expected RDR2 to win, given the glowing reviews it got from the press (though I agree with the user reviews on Metacritic).

Was very pleased to see the news that GOW was the winner. That game was a massive achievement in just about everything.

Kadayi

Banned
Played neither being a filthy PC Gamer, however by sheer virtue of RDR2 basically sweeping up most of the majors it was nice to see someone else take the top prize. I don't doubt the time and effort R* put into their games, but the brute reality is in terms of capital outlay I don't think anyone else out there can truly compete with them (not even CDP tbh) so it feels a bit trite to basically pat them on the back for having more money to throw at the screen. Good, therefore, to see the underdog win.

Well deserved, it wasn't an easy reboot and they avoided making it into another "souls" fuckery ripoff

It actually put the outdated janky DMC5 to shame

DMC5 is janky? Do you mean in that most recent video? I have a feeling the final version will be very smooth like the other DMC games. I doubt the final version will be janky and I am willing to bet the combat will be great.

Thought RDR 2 would get it. God of War was good but I enjoyed the first two the most.

This one was good then got boring for up until you retrieve a certain thing.

Bryank75

Banned
I see the salty Xbox brigade are up!
Hilarious how they kinda claimed RDR2 as an (Imaginary) exclusive due to the slight performance edge on the X...

Anyway RDR2 won loads of other awards and both games were epic, so any reasonable person should be happy enough.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm a proud platinum owner.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I am surprised games like black ops 4 wasn't even considered for game of the year. It is tons of fun, blackout is a breath of fresh air for the series and will get played more than any of the campaign oriented games that got nominated. I played games like god of war, spiderman and red dead 2 for like a week or 2, and stopped playing them after beating those type of games. Black ops 4 has been out for a while, and I am still addicted to it and amazed by it. Every time I play it, I get a new experience just by playing with people, while in god of war, I can't play it again because I know what to expect and the amazement I had with it is gone. It is a one and done type of game IMO.

I had a lot of fun with it, but let's face it, it's just Call of Duty again. They added a mode and removed the entire campaign. I'd hardly call it a contender for GOTY. It definitely should have been considering for "Best Ongoing" but there's no chance of winning when Fortnite exists.

RDR2 should have nailed this one, my personal fav. Atleast we know Metacritic Critics score for RDR2 is higher, thats a win in itself. Congrats to GOW though, amazing game!

thelastword

Banned
I guess the best game won, and talent always supercedes in the end. What a great game GOW was, great story, great graphics, amazing audio and soundtrack. Superb controls and combat. Yes, it deserves it. The most impact full game this year....

Dibs on LOU 2 for 2019.....Keep those great games coming..... :messenger_sunglasses:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Between GoW and RDR2 I thought GoW was a lot better. RDR2 did a lot of impressive stuff with their world, but GOW was just a lot more fun and smooth to play.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Personally I would have put god damn mother fucking Spyro on there, on account of it being the most game like GAME this year, and also making me smile more than any other.

So shove that up your console wars shit pipes.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well deserved winner IMO.

RDR2 has too many flaws for it to be my winner. I hated the game at first, but now that I have a feel for it and an understanding of it's mechanics I do feel that it is worthy of being in the discussion.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
For a lot of people, myself included, the game's mechanics are cumbersome, terrible and detrimental to the gameplay experience. Not to mention that the game takes a LONG while to really get going. It's not big things that bring the game down so much as a ton of little things that really get annoying. For me the most aggravating and frustrating mechanic is the automatic unequipping of weapons. It seems like a little thing, but I can't say how many times I'd get off my horse to try and get a 3-star pelt for an animal that I had been hunting for a long while, only to realize that for some reason the weapon never came with me when I got off my horse. Other things like a tedious fast travel system, annoying as fuck bounty and witness system and lack of quick weapon equip (which screws you when you get jumped by a pack of wolves) all take down the experience for me.

Now, I am not saying I hate the game by any means, I have for the most part learned to manage and mitigate those issues and now that I have a feel for what RDR2 is trying to accomplish, it has gone from a 5/10 to 8/10. It's a great game and while everyone can tell me that Rockstar intentionally did those things that I don't like, that doesn't make them any more enjoyable for me.

ROMhack

Not a huge fan myself but it was definitely the best, most popular game of the year (if that makes any sense).

Top Bottom