• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGA] God of War Wins Game of The Year

This is why game awards are a joke. Such a mediocre game in every way apart from ok'ish visuals. Plays like a cheap low budget corridor throw away title. [all I can think off :messenger_poop:] People forget such games as soon as they're done and don't want to pick it up ever again. Wouldn't give this more than 5/10, honestly.

RDR2 got robbed.

Von Hugh

For a lot of people, myself included, the game's mechanics are cumbersome, terrible and detrimental to the gameplay experience. Not to mention that the game takes a LONG while to really get going. It's not big things that bring the game down so much as a ton of little things that really get annoying. For me the most aggravating and frustrating mechanic is the automatic unequipping of weapons. It seems like a little thing, but I can't say how many times I'd get off my horse to try and get a 3-star pelt for an animal that I had been hunting for a long while, only to realize that for some reason the weapon never came with me when I got off my horse. Other things like a tedious fast travel system, annoying as fuck bounty and witness system and lack of quick weapon equip (which screws you when you get jumped by a pack of wolves) all take down the experience for me.

Now, I am not saying I hate the game by any means, I have for the most part learned to manage and mitigate those issues and now that I have a feel for what RDR2 is trying to accomplish, it has gone from a 5/10 to 8/10. It's a great game and while everyone can tell me that Rockstar intentionally did those things that I don't like, that doesn't make them any more enjoyable for me.

Exactly this.

A video game with high input lag, seemingly the exact same gameplay mechanics as in RDR1, obscure gameplay mechanics decisions such as unquipping of weapons, dreadful controls that require multi button input and lead into you shooting an NPC in the face instead of talking to her/him, chapter 6 which as a whole was totally unnecessary, and in total not that much variance in just how the game is played throughout. I had quite high hopes after the couple first hours, but then I started experiencing the cumbersome controls, not so polished mechanics and their animations, and seeing the formula of the story and the world. Reaching new cities and seeing new characters kept the motivation up in finishing the story, but aside from that it is just the same exact formula as before and surprisingly few novel ideas.

Graphically it is very nice, though, and the story is interesting to see how it unfolds.

Vawn

Banned
Absolutely deserving. Amazing game in every way - presentation, gameplay, story, world design.

My personal favorite game was Octopath Traveler, but that was just my personal tastes. God of War 100% deserved this award.

Zimmy68

Even though it doesn't crack my top 5, I have no issue with it winning "this" award.
It hit all the checks that they need:

AAA Title
Super Polished
AAA Graphics and Presentation
AAA Voice Acting

and sold like crazy.

I just wish it was more fun to play. When I completed it, I never once thought to play again.
It felt more like a movie that I wanted to see the end of.

Airbus Jr

Banned
This is why game awards are a joke. Such a mediocre game in every way apart from ok'ish visuals. Plays like a cheap low budget corridor throw away title. [all I can think off :messenger_poop:] People forget such games as soon as they're done and don't want to pick it up ever again. Wouldn't give this more than 5/10, honestly.

RDR2 got robbed.

Keep the tears flowing budy

God of War won

period

Hail to the king! 👑👑👑👑👑👑👑👑

Raitoningu

Banned
It's also crazy how every thread on this forum keep remind you that owning an xbone is a nightmare, tears & butthurt at every corner

Seriously, some randoms here should just stay on xbox official forum

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
dreadful controls that require multi button input

Yeah I mean come on what is with that.

The complaints about the controls are so overblown. They felt to me about as complicated as GTA5's controls. I can agree about the weapon unequipping though, I don't understand that decision at all.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Well deserved. RDR2 was good, but not great. GoW was a masterpiece.

Atleast we know Metacritic Critics score for RDR2 is higher, thats a win in itself.

All depends on which of the two scores you're talking about: critics or users. As of right now:

RDR2 (PS4): 97 and 7.8

GOW: 94 and 9.2

If the user scores are reflective of player attitudes, GOW is more popular.

WaterAstro

I didn't finish RDR2. I feel like it will have a great story when I beat it, but like most open world games, it does suffer that bit of story pacing issue. Just finished Chapter 3, and it's jarring as heck for the few last missions.

Haters like to hate on the "Sony walking simulator", but they will always result in a better story.

Thiagosc777

I didn't finish RDR2. I feel like it will have a great story when I beat it, but like most open world games, it does suffer that bit of story pacing issue. Just finished Chapter 3, and it's jarring as heck for the few last missions.

Haters like to hate on the "Sony walking simulator", but they will always result in a better story.

Good thing it is a videogame then. If I wanted a story I'd read a book.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Good thing it is a videogame then. If I wanted a story I'd read a book.

Besides FIFA and Madden which videogame genre nowadays doesn't have story?

Even fighting game like street fighter and mortal kombat have story even though it's kinda shit

To think videogame don't deserve to have story is absolutely rubbish

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

Besides FIFA and Madden which videogame genre nowadays doesn't have story?

Even fighting game like street fighter and mortal kombat have story even though it's kinda shit

To think videogame don't deserve to have story is absolutely rubbish

They don't deserve to sacrifice gameplay for making it "cinematic". Story exists to serve the gameplay, not the other way around.

TheModestGun

Neo Member
The right games were Kingdom Come, Spider-Man, Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Astro Bot, but none of those shills have any taste, or play any games even, so this mediocre collectathon pseudo-ARPG button masher with crap character design and story "won" instead. And to top it all off, no great games were announced either in this shitshow. What a waste of an evening.
Ha. this I just an odd take. Don’t get me wrong, the games you mentioned are great. But none of them for me were as compelling or polished as GOW. To each their own though.

Airbus Jr

Banned
They don't deserve to sacrifice gameplay for making it "cinematic". Story exists to serve the gameplay, not the other way around.

Which part of god of war sacrifies gameplay to make it cinematic?

Just because it has good story you acuses the game focused to much on cinematic?

Airbus Jr

Banned
Whats with personal attacks for giving honest thoughts about this mediocre game?

Are you an Xbox fanboys by any means?

Because metacritic shows youre an outlier with that opinion

Yea..yea..yea I love the haters come out from the woodwork to bash this game...

Keep it up..and bump this thread and give god of war the spotlight😎🤘

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

Which part of god of war sacrifies gameplay to make it cinematic?

Just because it has good story you acuses the game focused to much on cinematic?

Many parts, and it directly affects the fun of the game. For example, the entire "one shot" camera is a gimmick that makes no sense in a game. It may be a feat in movies, but in games you can generate any image you want at any time. The result is that there's a lot of slow walking and padding, instead of cutting to the parts that matter.

Like for example, Kratos carrying his son after he gets hurt.

Are you an Xbox fanboys by any means?

Because metacritic shows youre an outlier with that opinion

Yea..yea..yea I love the haters come out from the woodwork to bash this game...

Keep it up..and bump this thread and give god of war the spotlight😎🤘
I would recon thats because majority of players couldn't care less about metacritic [only fanboys] and even less about this game to downrate it on metacritic unlike the behemoth that is RDR2. A boring game like gow is pretty much irrelevant for most.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Many parts, and it directly affects the fun of the game. For example, the entire "one shot" camera is a gimmick that makes no sense in a game. It may be a feat in movies, but in games you can generate any image you want at any time. The result is that there's a lot of slow walking and padding, instead of cutting to the parts that matter.

Like for example, Kratos carrying his son after he gets hurt.

So what's your 2018 goty?

Airbus Jr

Banned
I would recon thats because majority of players couldn't care less about metacritic [only fanboys] and even less about this game to downrate it on metacritic unlike the behemoth that is RDR2. A boring game like gow is pretty much irrelevant for most.

The buthurt is real😆

jmbgator

Neo Member
I played through God of War, Read Dead 2, and Spider-Man. All three were incredible games and well deserving. However, I am glad that God of War won over the other two. Out of the three games, it is the one game that I connected with the characters the most from an emotional and story driven level. In addition, the controls and fighting felt fresh and great throughout.

As great as RDR2 was, there were times that I felt the pacing of the game was too long- especially at the beginning and end of the game. There were moments where the game felt stretched out at times and they could have condensed some parts. God of War had great pacing throughout its entirety and kept me wanting more (now I'm patiently waiting for the sequel).

Razzorn34

While I'm not surprised this game won, it's a large reason I could care less about any game rewards.

For a long running series, I can't believe so many people give them a pass on the new crappy combat system and the fact there are only a few epic boss fights. The combat is completely grounded and slow compared to all other entries. Combos are neutered due to them now being "special abilities" which you can only equip a few of. There is no jumping for air combos, and only two weapons in the entire game.

I deeply disliked everything about this title until I played it. While I can say that it isn't on the level of truly elite transformative games this gen, like The Witcher 3, Bloodborne or Automata, it's safely in the tier below that as a fantastic game. It's a great experience and one I'm really glad I got to play and I say that as someone that hates walking talking gameplay.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
None. After microtransactions became the norm, I am a retro gamer now. I think I spent most of the year playing either 360 or OG XBox games.

You do know that not all games have microtransactions, right? How many 2018 games did you actually play?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
What about the GAF game of the year are there any plans on doing it?

There's a sticky up now where everyone is posting their lists even though it's not actually the voting thread and it says so in enormous letters twice. Voting thread will be up soonish.

AV

Played most of them, except BFV and RDR2.

What does "most of them" even mean? You played "most of" the hundreds of games released in 2018? And you wouldn't call a single one of them worthy of a "game of the year" title?

Hinedorf

Banned
Don't really think you could've gone wrong either RDR2 or GoW. I really think with a few tweaks to story/content the next iteration of a Spider Man game could be a serious candidate for future GOTY.

Mr Hyde

Well deserved. God of War was a landmark for video games. Story, setting, characters, combat and music all excelled to the highest of highs.

Great. It was such an amazing game. Haven't played RDR2 though, might borrow it later from friend, but got bored fast as fuck from playing the first one.

Thiagosc777

What does "most of them" even mean? You played "most of" the hundreds of games released in 2018? And you wouldn't call a single one of them worthy of a "game of the year" title?

It means most of the biggest releases. I don't play indies. And no, none of them are "game of the year". So much so that I spent most of the year playing 360 games.

Horns

I really enjoyed the game, but thought RDR2 was more deserving. Still, this is not a bad choice and well deserved.

demigod

What a mediocre game! I guess for games to win awards they don't have to be good, all they need is to be "cinematic" and have a high budget.

Not too sure I think this was the right call, many games have been better for me personally, but there’s no doubt it deserved to be in the list that’s for sure :)
Is this a joke post? Or seriously?

I see the usual xbox fanboys are salty again. Just missing a couple more of them and the circle will be complete.

The VGAs redeemed itself by not letting RDR2 win. It was laughable that they won best music.

Gediminas

Banned
boring game like GoW, and you adore RDR2 :D that's a lot of hypocrite right there. RDR2 is most boring AAA game in a decade and rightly so, most of the people said so and with boring gameplay and clunky movement, combat it is most overrated game of the decade too. besides other flaws, that is why RDR2 had no chance to win GOTY.
boring game like GoW won and Action-Adventure award too, you know, because there is so much action, that is why it is so boring, xexexe. gold!

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

I see the salty Xbox brigade are up!
Hilarious how they kinda claimed RDR2 as an (Imaginary) exclusive due to the slight performance edge on the X...

Anyway RDR2 won loads of other awards and both games were epic, so any reasonable person should be happy enough.
i saw butthurt people in this topic
Keep the tears flowing budy
It's also crazy how every thread on this forum keep remind you that owning an xbone is a nightmare, tears & butthurt at every corner
It's funny seeing people get so emotional over stuff like this. Like GOW wasn't a great game or something.
They're intimidated by King Kratos greatness!!!
I see the usual xbox fanboys are salty again. Just missing a couple more of them and the circle will be complete.

Here are just a few examples. While some users are commenting on the games or award choices, other deeply insecure console warriors are commenting on other people's comments. Who's the salty here? You are so bothered that you need to comment on someone else's opinion.

Aenima

While RDR2 has an amazing world full of little details, at the end of the day the game with better gameplay won. My GOTY was Dragon Quest XI.

demigod

Here are just a few examples. While some users are commenting on the games or award choices, other deeply insecure console warriors are commenting on other people's comments. Who's the salty here? You are so bothered that you need to comment on someone else's opinion.

I love it when console warriors start shit and then call other people console warriors, classic. You can't hide it, BOI.

Airbus Jr

Banned

Or perhaps....you can share us a story on why you're so..intrigued...by this god of war winning goty award....

You said it yourself that you're a retro gamer now? Only play 360 game?

Then why does this news bother you that much? Why bother coming here if you only play old Xbox games?

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

Or perhaps....you can share us a story on why you're so..intrigued...by this god of war winning goty award....

You said it yourself that you're a retro gamer now? Only play 360 game?

Then why does this news bother you that much? Why bother coming here if you only play old Xbox games?

It doesn't. I simply made a remark about the low quality of the choice and replied to another user with a YouTube review I find useful. That's all. All the rest is you shitting up the thread, as usual.

Airbus Jr

Banned
It doesn't. I simply made a remark about the low quality of the choice and replied to another user with a YouTube review I find useful. That's all. All the rest is you shitting up the thread, as usual.

No..no..no...that's not how it works buddy....

About the low quality of choice? Is this a joke?

All the rest is you shitting up the thread. Uh..sorry but isn't that you're the guy who shitting on this thread? You're not supposed to be here and judge the game if you haven't played it

You said it yourself you only played retro 360 game?

That makes you unqualified to drop any verdict for god of war...for all of it will most likely based on inept biass due to you favoritism for Xbox( esp 360 game)

Last edited:
Top Bottom