• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGA] God of War Wins Game of The Year

nowhat

I simply made a remark about the low quality of the choice and replied to another user with a YouTube review I find useful.
Yeah, but that bolded part is like complete bullshit when it comes to arguments. You can find stuff on Youtube to support any position, no matter how (ir)rational. If we are to determine if a game is "mediocre" or not, a single review is not going to cut it. Something like a... I dunno, metascore?, is more useful when determining how people on average feel about a game.

Unless you think Sony bribes all the reviewers. To which I say, Microsoft has a much larger budget to work with. If it's so easy to get good scores by outright buying them, they're just being incompetent.

Thiagosc777

No..no..no...that's not how it works buddy....

About the low quality of choice? Is this a joke?

All the rest is you shitting up the thread. Uh..sorry but isn't that you're the guy who shitting on this thread? You're not supposed to be here and judge the game if you haven't played it

You said it yourself you only played retro 360 game?

That makes you unqualified to drop any verdict for god of war...for all of it will most likely based on inept biass due to you favoritism for Xbox( esp 360 game)

I played it and forced myself to finish it. It's objectively bad.

Thiagosc777

Yeah, but that bolded part is like complete bullshit when it comes to arguments. You can find stuff on Youtube to support any position, no matter how (ir)rational. If we are to determine if a game is "mediocre" or not, a single review is not going to cut it. Something like a... I dunno, metascore?, is more useful when determining how people on average feel about a game.

Unless you think Sony bribes all the reviewers. To which I say, Microsoft has a much larger budget to work with. If it's so easy to get good scores by outright buying them, they're just being incompetent.

Ok, then how's the video I posted here "irrational"?

nowhat

That's not how language works. It's subjectively bad if you feel that way. But for example when compared to RDR2, I think objectively it is better in one critical aspect - it doesn't control like shit. The controls are quite tight even. Which is vital when judging a game as a video game, not just as an interactive experience.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
ConventionalFragrantAcornweevil-max-1mb.gif

nowhat

Then how's the argument presented there incorrect?
See my other reply about "not the ones who know what they are talking about". You can always find a fringe view to support your position. But if a single example is all you can come up with, either you are a particular genius able to see through the Matrix, and you could school all of us sheeple.

Or more likely, your position is not supported by common evidence, and you're not that special.

Thiagosc777

So you're acussing these game reviewer and media are inept and 'dont know what they are talking about' because they doesn't suit your opinion of this game?

The mainstream media is throughly inept and are no more than political activists. YouTubers vary, some are ok, others not so much.

They don't know what they are talking about, because they are unable to analyse gameplay systems, and compare it to the previous games in the series or the competition. A good reviewer would go into those kinds of details and present a case.

Airbus Jr

Banned
The mainstream media is throughly inept and are no more than political activists. YouTubers vary, some are ok, others not so much.

They don't know what they are talking about, because they are unable to analyse gameplay systems, and compare it to the previous games in the series or the competition. A good reviewer would go into those kinds of details and present a case.

So how do you decide which one ( reviewer) is worthy according to you?

By cherrypicking the one that align with your opinion?

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

I played Sea of Thieves and beaten it a thousand times too.

in my dreams

Look up my PSN id: Thiagosc. And while you are at it, look up the older God of War games as well. Check out how much I played them.

I got the platinum for the good God of War games

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Love to know how I’m salty because I said it deserved to be in the list, but not to win haha

For me, the game was good... but not God of War good. It wasn’t a god of war game. Console choice has zero to do with it.

I aready said my game of the year was Spyro, that’s the exact same game and settings on x and pro. Hardly sucking off major Nelson is it.

Good lord some people are fragile towards their plastic box...

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Here are just a few examples. While some users are commenting on the games or award choices, other deeply insecure console warriors are commenting on other people's comments. Who's the salty here? You are so bothered that you need to comment on someone else's opinion.

Bro, this is literally a forum where we speak on and about other people's opinions. It's designed that way, for this very purpose.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Can we stop engaging the attention seeking, Sony hating guy who is not contributing in any real manner other than to argue?

mejin

In 2013, we had Sony and Rockstar doing their best with TLoU and GTAV. In 2018, I see a similar situation, they both presented notable masterpieces for this gen.

Vawn

Banned
They don't deserve to sacrifice gameplay for making it "cinematic". Story exists to serve the gameplay, not the other way around.

What are you on about? The gameplay was the best part of the game.

RDR2, on the other hand, was great despite its gameplay. God of War hit on all fronts.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
@Thiagosc777: for fuck sake, you can’t understand people have different taste than you do? Seriously give it rest and go play something you would enjoy instead of trying force your opinion to others.

Last edited:

Duallusion

Finished it two weeks ago. Beaut of a game; in pretty much all aspects. Will probably end up being in my top 10 games of this generation.

nowhat

Seriously give it rest and go play something you would enjoy instead of trying force your opinion to others.
I mean, I kind of understand where he's coming from. Some of us feel compelled to educate the masses and wake up the sheeple.

The thing is, you don't want to wake up the sheeple:

wake_up_sheeple.png

I had so many issues with GoW on a fundamental level that last night felt fucking bizarre. And judging by everyone's positivity over it winning GotY I think I realized that I'm a completely different audience from the people here :p

Very sobering.

Last edited:
if MH:W is an rpg in the same class as Deadfire (and wins, lol!), then, sure, GoW can be GotY.

dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

mekes

Had a lot of fun with God of War. I might even replay it in the near future, something I hardly ever do these days.

Bryank75

Banned

Oh, hey everybody...we found the only objective view on God of War in the world. Good thing you were here to tell us all the other reviews were wrong, that was a close one!
Do you want to ring SSM and ask for the award back?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Last game I played was GoW 2. Since then I just watch GoW videos since they have awesome boss fights and story cut scenes.

Not surprisingly, PS4's GoW shines again.

Xbox needs an action series like this.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It means most of the biggest releases. I don't play indies. And no, none of them are "game of the year". So much so that I spent most of the year playing 360 games.

You do realise that no one will ever take you seriously when you refuse to play hundreds of games just because "they're indies"? Some of the best games this year were indies, better than a lot of the big games.

Lastyou1

Banned
100% deserved, congrats Santa Monica Studios.

However, my personal number 1 pick is Spider-Man.

God of War alongside RDR2 was the best game.
Spidey was the funniest.
Fun beats quality, imo.

Thiagosc777

You do realise that no one will ever take you seriously when you refuse to play hundreds of games just because "they're indies"? Some of the best games this year were indies, better than a lot of the big games.

I don't like 2D pixel platformers. If I wanted to play a Mario game, I'd just play Mario. Why bother with a clone if you can play the original? Most indie games are just recreations of popular games of the past.

Thiagosc777

@Thiagosc777: for fuck sake, you can’t understand people have different taste than you do? Seriously give it rest and go play something you would enjoy instead of trying force your opinion to others.

Give a comment on the award = force your opinion to others

Meanwhile everyone else is flipping their shit because someone thinks differently and are unwilling to say what is wrong about that opinion. They use fallacies such as "appeal to authority" (as if the mainstream media isn't a joke) and post comments involving salt and console warrioring.

Hotspurr

Banned
Even though I thought GoW was somewhat boring and not particularly innovative, I can see why Western audiences would find it flashy and impressive. Guess games are becoming more like movies, gameplay be damned. You'd never think a GoW game would have you picking flowers or rescuing injured pigs, or playing dad, but here we are haha...at least we have DMC V and Sekiro to remind people what playing a good hack and slash should feel like in 2019.

Handy Fake

Can we stop engaging the attention seeking, Sony hating guy who is not contributing in any real manner other than to argue?

contrarian
/kənˈtrɛːrɪən/
noun
noun: contrarian; plural noun: contrarians
  1. 1.
    a person who opposes or rejects popular opinion, especially in stock exchange dealing.
    "it has become fashionable to be a stock-market contrarian"
adjective
adjective: contrarian
  1. 1.
    opposing or rejecting popular opinion or current practice.
    "the comment came more from a contrarian disposition than moral conviction"

I think as time goes on, say 10-20 years from now, people will remember RDR2 much more so then GOW, almost like Forest Gump winning all the awards + movie of the year in 1994, while Shawshank Redemption won nothing. 24 years later Shawshank is always ranked as either the #1 Best Film Of All Time or close to it, always in top 3, while Forest Gump doesn't comes close (Believe it's ranked in the 50's-60's).

GOW is a more here and now type game until the next one rolls out, while RDR2 will have more of an impact as it ages.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Give a comment on the award = force your opinion to others

Meanwhile everyone else is flipping their shit because someone thinks differently and are unwilling to say what is wrong about that opinion. They use fallacies such as "appeal to authority" (as if the mainstream media isn't a joke) and post comments involving salt and console warrioring.

Dude god of war won

If you can't handle the truth and need some tissue let us know 😂

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Just like David Jaffe said on his stream. Games are games are games. "Indie games" should not have a separate category. Games... are... games.

IMO, he is correct. It creates an elitist stigma, that you are peasant games unless you are funded/owned by a billion dollar publisher, and get $300+ million to make a game. Remember, the entire industry's foundation was build by, pretty much "indie games".

However, I will disagree with his "if you want or make narrative experiences, watch/make movies". That narrative experience pushed the medium forward and helped the industry grow to what it is today.

Last edited:
I think as time goes on, say 10-20 years from now, people will remember RDR2 much more so then GOW, almost like Forest Gump winning all the awards + movie of the year in 1994, while Shawshank Redemption won nothing. 24 years later Shawshank is always ranked as either the #1 Best Film Of All Time or close to it, always in top 3, while Forest Gump doesn't comes close (Believe it's ranked in the 50's-60's).

GOW is a more here and now type game until the next one rolls out, while RDR2 will have more of an impact as it ages.

RDR2 is boring and the players already know it right now considering comments in forums and metacritic user scores.

Fbh

Even though I thought GoW was somewhat boring and not particularly innovative, I can see why Western audiences would find it flashy and impressive. Guess games are becoming more like movies, gameplay be damned. You'd never think a GoW game would have you picking flowers or rescuing injured pigs, or playing dad, but here we are haha...at least we have DMC V and Sekiro to remind people what playing a good hack and slash should feel like in 2019.

I don't think GOW was like a movie and I enjoyed the gameplay ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I actually think one of the biggest strengths of the game is that unlike other studios like Naughty Dog it managed to make a more story heavy experience without sacrificing the gameplay in the process. At least my playthrough was 90% fighting, exploring and solving light puzzles.

The fighting is definitely not as good as DMC or Bayonetta, but then again neither was the old GOW

Top Bottom