• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGA] The Outer Worlds

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I know but it's dumb to make this as a rules, the point is to have deep mechanics in every feature for the best gaming experience.
They're not trying to make it a rule though, they're doing their best, I hope it ends up interesting in ways not seen in the footage but the game can have other redeeming qualities like NV :)

Last edited:

B-cell

Neo Member
looking excellent. one of my most hype game of 2019 along with Doom Eternal, Metro Exodus and Rage 2.

MadYarpen

This looks like I may like it, so fingers crossed. But why do they have to describe dumb options as dumb? In case players are to dumb to notice themselves?

Teslerum

This looks like I may like it, so fingers crossed. But why do they have to describe dumb options as dumb? In case players are to dumb to notice themselves?

Availability of dumb options may be tied to your charachters intelligence. So its like any other skill check.
There's a good chance you can disable descriptors you don't want anyway.

BTW: The trailer has already over 2 million views on Obsidian's youtube account. Microsoft may be very interested in this.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I do hope the indie game Outer Wilds isn't affected by this and vice versa. Unless it's a positive effect of course :p

Pretty similar name, it could be mistaken by the less inclined to research stuff folks.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
This game is looking pretty good! I’d love to get some of that Borderlands humor with NV quality mechanics and story.

Honestly it shows when Obsidian has a decent budget to make a game, they can do wonders. I can only hope that what we see can only get better and not deteriorate when the final product ships.

I bet Microsoft and more in particular Booty and Spencer are watching the attention and reaction that Outer Worlds is generating.

anthraticus

Banned
Honestly, I'm not expecting anything that as they're aiming for mainstream success with this, but Cain/Boyarski should still be able to put Bethsturdia & the Toddler to shame....even if they were only half coherent.

EDMIX

So who owns the IP? MS/Obsidian or Take 2?

I'm not sure. Obsidian owns the trademark, but trademarks are not always the IP. From what I've read, Obsidian came in to help the development team Private Division so I'm not sure its known who actually owns the IP.

This game looks to be right up my alley. I love the Borderlands-esque world with the goofy corporations. I like the possibilities of branching story arcs with like-able characters, and I like FPS/Adventure games.

Teslerum

From Mikey Dowling - PR Manager

One thing to keep in mind with expectations is to remember that this isn't a Triple-A budget game. There is a lot that we want the game to have (full mod support, third-persom camera, etc.), but it ultimately comes down to resources and time. We know there are things the community wants and we will keep an eye on that for potential sequels. We may not be able to get everything out of the gate on the first game, but hope you enjoy what the team is very hard at work on creating for you.
While we'd love to, we don't have plans to support mods. The game is being made in UE 4, so it's not impossible for us to see things from our creative community. Just a bit more difficult. Again, with time and resources, definitely something we'd look into for future sequels. Similar to how Pillars I and Deadfire went.

Last edited:

Kreydo

From Mikey Dowling - PR Manager
What he's saying is the gameplay we saw was the final product... And for any enhancement they will think about it in a sequel....................

So... dull combat, no third-person cam, and no mods confirmed.

Expectation went down quickly.

Last edited:

Teslerum

What he's saying is the gameplay we saw was the final product... And for any enhancement they will think about it in a sequel....................

Again, what's exactly your point here?

Unless your point is that its too late to completly throw out the combat, which is already pretty obvious by the gameplay shown, no he didn't say that.
They're still in the stage where their finetuning combat and gameplay and that's usually one of the last things that gets finalized.

Though I can imagine it bothering people who like third person/mods.

For me though, I actually have the confession to make that I'm not big into the Bethesda modding scene. Which is also the reason I enjoyed New Vegas so much compared to F3 and F4. It was imo a good game (apart from all the bugs) to begin with. I also never used third person. So I can wait for the sequel to offer both options. IMO of course. Ofc, if Outer Worlds releases too bugy and the support is bad/modability prevents fixes I'm going to be disappointed.

As for the combat, I'm ok with it. It looks good enough (better than the other Fallouts in my opinion). Though I'm still very much interested how attributes/skills come into play, which they sadly haven't shown at all. (Not to mention those demos are usually played on easy)

So imo, I can't actually make a final verdict on it. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't look great, but then again FPS/RPG Hybrids never have worked well.

Deuterion

You sound like a Fallout 4 fan based on your gripes. Fortunately for you, there’s already a variety of games in the market similar to it. People are excited for Outer Worlds because they love being able to craft their own character and explore a world in which they have an impact on. Do I hope the combat is great? Yes. Will it make or break the game for me? No. Because I want the experience, the lore, the companions, the tribes, and etc that Obsidian is known for. You’re in here upset that it’s not Call of Duty when there’s already a Call of Duty.

Isa

The more I see the more I want it. I'm with Claus, it grabbed my attention immediately and that is, in my case at least, a great sign. I love these types of games where I can just dive in and go on an adventure, with a character that feels like my own and shape the world according to my choices. I'm content with what's been shown, it is not a AAA budget game and exceptions must be made, though I love what they've been able to achieve so far. Its nice to see Obsidian back in the 3D game space, nice though Pillars is.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Have only played two of Obsidian's games ever as the majority of them don't appeal to me. First game was Alpha Protocol which I thought the gameplay and shooting mechanics were horrible and thus, quit it after a few hours. Second game was South Park: The Stick of Truth which was very good but I quit it halfway or so through the game simply because I have no interest in South Park whatsoever and simply had my fill.

With The Outer Worlds though, everything in that gameplay video looks very good and the gunplay looks good as well as the mechanics. Would prefer it if it was in third person but if the game reviews well and has good impressions, I'll most likely buy it and give it a chance.

EDMIX

Have only played two of Obsidian's games ever as the majority of them don't appeal to me. First game was Alpha Protocol which I thought the gameplay and shooting mechanics were horrible and thus, quit it after a few hours. Second game was South Park: The Stick of Truth which was very good but I quit it halfway or so through the game simply because I have no interest in South Park whatsoever and simply had my fill.

With The Outer Worlds though, everything in that gameplay video looks very good and the gunplay looks good as well as the mechanics. Would prefer it if it was in third person but if the game reviews well and has good impressions, I'll most likely buy it and give it a chance.

Those games are not bad, but I don't think its their best work. Fallout New Vegas, KOTOR2, Pillars Of Eternity 1 and 2 I'd say is the best they've done. They've always had a strong quality for making RPGs, they are solid team if you are looking for good strong RPG mechanics. They are up there with Bethesda, Bioware etc

If anyone else was making this game, I don't think I'd be that interested as I don't know of they can pull it off, but with it being by a team this talented......its in good hands.

Its a day 1 for me.

EDMIX

You have great taste in games, that's my exact game list for next year
:messenger_beaming:

the lolz

My list a bit different. I see me buying all 3 listed used and later into the year. Resident Evil 2 remake, KH3, Days Gone.

(Of course this game too though)

anthraticus

Banned
They've always had a strong quality for making RPGs, they are solid team if you are looking for good strong RPG mechanics. They are up there with Bethesda, Bioware etc
They're def much better than modern Bioware or Bethesda, as far as making actual RPGS goes.

Bio & Beth would have to put the Baldurs Gate series & Daggerfall/Morrowind up against Obs top stuff to make it more of a fair fight.
ALJh4D.gif

Teslerum

Those games are not bad, but I don't think its their best work. Fallout New Vegas, KOTOR2, Pillars Of Eternity 1 and 2 I'd say is the best they've done. They've always had a strong quality for making RPGs, they are solid team if you are looking for good strong RPG mechanics. They are up there with Bethesda, Bioware etc

If anyone else was making this game, I don't think I'd be that interested as I don't know of they can pull it off, but with it being by a team this talented......its in good hands.

Its a day 1 for me.

Don't forget the NWN2 Add-On Mask of the Betrayer. Imo still the best written rpg since Planescape.

Teslerum

The trailer for the Outer Worlds has now surpassed 4 million views on youtube in 8 days. For comparison the 6 month old cinematic trailer for Anthem only has 3.8 million views. It's also the most viewed trailer from the game awards aside from Mortal Kombat XI.

plushyp

While you will be able to undergo special companion missions to improve your standing with your followers, you won’t be able to take your relationship with them to the next level. GameInformer’s Ben Reeves issues a pretty clear ‘no’ when asked if you’ll be able to sleep with your closest NPC followers.

Apparently, Obsidian discussed the idea, but according to Reeve, they decided that “romance quests are hard and involve a lot of work,” and decided not to develop the concept further.

Link: https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-outer-worlds/the-outer-worlds-romance

This was already confirmed but nice to see they didn't dance around the actual reason for why they aren't including it. Also lol @ one of the comments there:
"Good, we don't need a bunch of sex starved miscreants crying about the lack of diversity in sexual companions."

Do these types of games ever have characters who can actually move around naturally instead of being so stiff when they talk to you?

Also, it's going to be 2019 in a few days.

Time to make an open world that looks more fluid and polished than Skyrim.

Last edited:

Teslerum

New Gameplay tomorrow at Pax East.
Decided to buy it on the Microsoft Store, never going to buy anything from Epic, but honestly still want the game very much.

Top Bottom